Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

MrMojok posted:

I have trouble putting it into words, but the comedy and the heavy stuff sort of fuse together into a really appealing and different type of dark absurdism

I know what you mean - like even in the last episode when Sally is killing that guy. Her performance is played as drama, but the entire scene is absurd while also being kind of scary. Like the guy obviously having immediate brain damage thinking she put something in his eye and wandering off, the sound booth door closing cutting off the audio, and the way the guy just randomly shows up in the scene with no fanfare - all of this is sort of funny in a way that freaks you out a bit.

It doesn't even really feel mean-spirited, either. It's a unique tone they've got going. You really can't guess where or how far a scene is going to go because it can start as a casual conversation and escalate into a prolonged massacre, or the opposite, and they usually hit the mark in making it really entertaining to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

roomtone posted:

It's a unique tone

It really, really is, and there are countless scenes throughout the show where they pull it off perfectly. I really struggle to think of movies and shows that do it with this kind of unique feel.

Some Coen brothers stuff comes to mind, there are similarities for sure, but Barry is just kind of… different.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

MrMojok posted:

Different strokes and all, but personally I love any movie or tv show that makes fun of Hollywood.

The acting class subplot is what really drew me into this show at the beginning. Although I found a lot more to love about it as time went on.

Even after the class fell apart they just moved right into the hell that is streaming media. So good.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Haha yeah… and the awards show scene.

The forty seconds where Sally is silent, sobbing, all her facial expressions during that. And then when she can speak again, it’s the three words-sob-four words-sob thing.

It’s sooo cringy, and Sarah Goldberg is fantastic in this show.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
David Lynch sometimes pulls this stuff off too.

I think it’s interesting to see some of Barry’s behavior after killing someone and start to think, oh, he has remorse for what he did. But as you go on, you realize that most of all he is just sad that there are consequences for what he does. The way he tries to wish them away (starting NOW!) so childishly is key to who he is. He doesn’t want to get out of the murder business because it’s evil. The lifestyle of it just makes him feel bad—no self-actualization.

I agree that having it play out like some legal procedural in the next season would likely be disappointing, at least if that goes for more than an episode or so. I don’t think it will go that way. I think it’s good that they’ve put themselves in a very difficult spot writing wise. It’s going to force them to continue to be inventive.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

gene pulling rip torn’s gift gun on barry with appropriate dramatic flourish and it falling apart on him is to me an excellent embodiment of the show’s tone

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MizuZero posted:

gene pulling rip torn’s gift gun on barry with appropriate dramatic flourish and it falling apart on him is to me an excellent embodiment of the show’s tone

That coupled with Barry showing up at Gene's place, sitting next to his grandson, and the audience (along with Gene) absolutely believing he'd kill the kid is, to me, the full tone of the show.

I'm still kind of shocked at the brutal hotel kill, the one that was a callback to the first scene of episode one. I didn't miss any details in that did I? Like we never found out what that dude's deal was, who hired Barry, etc, did we?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

brap posted:

David Lynch sometimes pulls this stuff off too.

I think it’s interesting to see some of Barry’s behavior after killing someone and start to think, oh, he has remorse for what he did. But as you go on, you realize that most of all he is just sad that there are consequences for what he does. The way he tries to wish them away (starting NOW!) so childishly is key to who he is. He doesn’t want to get out of the murder business because it’s evil. The lifestyle of it just makes him feel bad—no self-actualization.

I agree that having it play out like some legal procedural in the next season would likely be disappointing, at least if that goes for more than an episode or so. I don’t think it will go that way. I think it’s good that they’ve put themselves in a very difficult spot writing wise. It’s going to force them to continue to be inventive.

I'm a little optimistic about how the next season comes together since they could have just as well done the procedural thing this season but they turned the entire concept on its head.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm still kind of shocked at the brutal hotel kill, the one that was a callback to the first scene of episode one. I didn't miss any details in that did I? Like we never found out what that dude's deal was, who hired Barry, etc, did we?

Don't think so, was just there to establish Barry is a hitman. Then they flashed back this season to twist the knife a bit more and show the guy on the phone with his loving family right before getting got.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Don't think so, was just there to establish Barry is a hitman. Then they flashed back this season to twist the knife a bit more and show the guy on the phone with his loving family right before getting got.

The loving family part is what made me want a backstory; if the target is some piece of poo poo, then that's not as compelling as at least hinting that the target was normal. I'm super curious as to either what that guy did, or who ordered it for what reason, or both.

Guy could have been leading double lives but we get so little from that hit that we don't know.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Fuches is such a petty monster it could easily just be someone who slighted him, cut him off in traffic, got the last scone at a coffee shop, etc, then followed and sent Barry after him.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If y’all like the style of this show - especially the absurdist wide shot long takes in season 3 - I giving recommend the work of Roy Andersson, who Hader stated as a direct influence (along with Jacques Tati). Specifically any of his work from 2000’s Songs from the Second Floor onwards. Extremely good movies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I hope he dies. Great performance, strong character, but man I hope he dies.

I get the impulse but I think he deserves to suffer, and life in prison seems way worse than death. All the lovely things about having to be alive with none of the benefits.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MizuZero posted:

Stephen Root*

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Stephen Root*

Isn't it specifically a gift from Rip Torn?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, Gene says Rip Torn gave him the gun, which was used in a movie called “Flashpoint”

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I get the impulse but I think he deserves to suffer, and life in prison seems way worse than death. All the lovely things about having to be alive with none of the benefits.

Seinfeld ending with him teaching acting class in prison after a trial where the family of the hundreds of people has has murdered come to testify.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Vintersorg posted:

Stephen Root*

rip torn*

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Barry is also unlikable outside of killing people!
https://twitter.com/margacrisostomo/status/1628011771696144386?s=61&t=ggDXMLf2RkvXvqj2uP3KyQ

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

"She's so shallow!"

And Barry is a deep well of.... murder?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

lol

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

That just elevated this man even more in my eyes

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

FireWorksWell posted:

That just elevated this man even more in my eyes

it's what I figured from the clip, but just an additional laugh seeing him address it so bluntly

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Public Q&As are god-awful at best so props to Hader for making some hay out of one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hader spoke at a friend’s college once while he was still on SNL. Said friend (who was himself an improv guy) was going to ask something about the process of making the show and foolishly started his question with “You claim that…” to which Hader instantly said “I claim?” and basically made it impossible to continue asking the question lol

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

If y’all like the style of this show - especially the absurdist wide shot long takes in season 3 - I giving recommend the work of Roy Andersson, who Hader stated as a direct influence (along with Jacques Tati). Specifically any of his work from 2000’s Songs from the Second Floor onwards. Extremely good movies.

Songs from the Second Floor is an extremely good movie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Slamhound posted:

Songs from the Second Floor is an extremely good movie.

I tried looking for it but it's not available for streaming on many of the regular services (that I have up here in Canada, at least).

It HAS been uploaded to YouTube, however. Not going to link it, but c'mon now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The thing about Barry vs Sally, and the audience's reaction to them that's not addressed is that very few people encounter mass-murdering hitmen. But a lot of people do encounter ambitious narcissists. So Sally, the more realistic of the two, ends up reminding everyone of people they've run into while Barry is essentially a sociopathic cartoon. I think that's why she rubs a lot of viewers the wrong way while the title character can happily gun down a room full of Serbs & Bolivians.

Not me tho i can fix her

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’ll cop to liking barry/disliking sally initially. early on it’s made very clear that fuches is exploiting barry which makes him read as more sympathetic than he deserves. I’m sure it was the same for a lot of people but this monologue turned sally from one of my least-favourite characters on the show to one of my most https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw62N4v8Cwo

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I know that awards are utterly meaningless and that Hader/Barry probably hate them but how tf Sarah Goldberg didn’t win anything, let alone be nominated for that and her other fantastic performances in S2 is still baffling to me.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MizuZero posted:

I’ll cop to liking barry/disliking sally initially. early on it’s made very clear that fuches is exploiting barry which makes him read as more sympathetic than he deserves. I’m sure it was the same for a lot of people but this monologue turned sally from one of my least-favourite characters on the show to one of my most https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw62N4v8Cwo

"...look at how strong you are now... SALLY!"

This is fantastic writing and fantastic acting.

Also gonna go ahead and link the scene I mentioned a few posts above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ME8lREOms&t=30s

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A thing that builds sympathy for Sally (and Barry too, tbh) is the show's view on the cycle of violence and abuse. Both characters (and others in the show) have faced serious harm and trauma that have gotten them to where they are, and they pass that down to others through their own actions, and so on. It doesn't excuse their actions but it seems like a more measured understanding of their place in an unfortunate cycle.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Almost forgot about Elsie Fisher's character. She's in the first 4 episodes and then completely disappears. I know that the main Joplin plot is over at that point, but she was such a great character they should have had her show up once more in the back half of the season, maybe reacting to Sally's tirade or something.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Mordja posted:

The thing about Barry vs Sally, and the audience's reaction to them that's not addressed is that very few people encounter mass-murdering hitmen. But a lot of people do encounter ambitious narcissists. So Sally, the more realistic of the two, ends up reminding everyone of people they've run into while Barry is essentially a sociopathic cartoon. I think that's why she rubs a lot of viewers the wrong way while the title character can happily gun down a room full of Serbs & Bolivians.

Not me tho i can fix her

The Janice Soprano Effect.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I’d argue Sally is the deepest character in the show by far

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

MrMojok posted:

This is such a loving brilliant, and brilliantly acted, scene.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

I’d argue Sally is the deepest character in the show by far
And it's not close, yeah.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I think Gene is pretty close tbh but Sally #1 for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Which one's Gene again?