Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

chird posted:

What's the most modern of these arcadey racers that's still considered good to play with controller today?

Tastes may vary but I really don't think there has been any better arcade racing "combat" games since Burnout Paradise.
I tried NFS Heat, the second to last entry in the NFS series, but the cop chases and car crashes were extremely lackluster there. The cop variety and presentation was bad and the cars didn't feel good to smash at all, unlike NFS Most Wanted for example, and I really doubt that anything has changed in NFS Unbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wo Long absolutely rules and will be a GOTY contender if the full game is as good as the demos have been. First game I’ve been this hyped for since elden ring.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

Tastes may vary but I really don't think there has been any better arcade racing "combat" games since Burnout Paradise.
I tried NFS Heat, the second to last entry in the NFS series, but the cop chases and car crashes were extremely lackluster there. The cop variety and presentation was bad and the cars didn't feel good to smash at all, unlike NFS Most Wanted for example, and I really doubt that anything has changed in NFS Unbound.

Unbound was made by Criterion (or whatever is left of it) so there's more of a pedigree there than Heat and it shows, imo. Having played both games I can actually say that the police chases are fun and there are stakes to the police chases because if you get caught you lose the money you made on races for that half of the day. There's a very fun risk/reward game you have to play because staying out and doing another race means more money but also raises your heat level which means harder chases. I know you dismissively say "i really doubt nothing has changed in NFS unbound" but having actually played both of them, unlike you, Heat and Unbound couldn't feel like more different games imo.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Does Nioh 2 stop doing the incredibly lazy thing Nioh does with enemies being constantly place around corners ready to attack? Or having a bait enemy down a long linear line with alcoves or an x-crossing and each side of the crossing has an enemy looking straight forwards?

I was amused the first few times the game did this but now I'm in zone 4 and it feels like every level is lousy with corner-camping enemies to the degree that I feel the need to abuse the camera on each corner to check. I don't think I would mind if it wasn't so consistent in almost every level.

Very lovely, lazy enemy placements. Is Nioh 2 better in this regard?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Does Nioh 2 stop doing the incredibly lazy thing Nioh does with enemies being constantly place around corners ready to attack? Or having a bait enemy down a long linear line with alcoves or an x-crossing and each side of the crossing has an enemy looking straight forwards?

I was amused the first few times the game did this but now I'm in zone 4 and it feels like every level is lousy with corner-camping enemies to the degree that I feel the need to abuse the camera on each corner to check. I don't think I would mind if it wasn't so consistent in almost every level.

They still have occasionally cheeky enemies, but they don't seem as common. More importantly, there's also a very easy to get item ability that just outright shows you all nearby enemy placements on your radar. Plop that on and you'll never have to worry about that sort of thing ever again.

And while we're going into hot takes, I'll second that I always found Souls combat rather boring and one-note, while Nioh 2's combat owned bones :colbert:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 27, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

KazigluBey posted:

No, it definitely does the same thing. It also likes to put enemies in trees that drop onto you and pound you into paste when you walk under them. Even like gigantic fuckin gorilla-shaped Yokai will just be casually dangling from a tree 30 feet above an item.

The key insight that made me not hate Nioh is that enemies will barely chase you anywhere so if you die, you can probably just sprint back to where you were and not have to fight much in between. Makes dying not feel very punishing most of the time.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

kazil posted:

*Sees the most obvious Dark Souls vs Nioh bait on the planet.*

*Bites anyway*

The correct answer is Sekiro.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

from's souls games and team ninja's loot games are both good, im sorry to anyone who is too weak to simply enjoy both.

also the Wo Long demo owned.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't played a modern Team Ninja game but the Wo Long demo impressed me. I'm looking forward to playing more of it this weekend!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

explosivo posted:

Unbound was made by Criterion (or whatever is left of it) so there's more of a pedigree there than Heat and it shows, imo. Having played both games I can actually say that the police chases are fun and there are stakes to the police chases because if you get caught you lose the money you made on races for that half of the day. There's a very fun risk/reward game you have to play because staying out and doing another race means more money but also raises your heat level which means harder chases. I know you dismissively say "i really doubt nothing has changed in NFS unbound" but having actually played both of them, unlike you, Heat and Unbound couldn't feel like more different games imo.

Sounds like I should take another look at Unbound then. I didn't know that it had different developers from Heat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Both games do the lovely Souls "gently caress you" enemy placements but both Nioh games also have an incredibly easy to get item called Divination Talisman that will just mark all enemies around you on your minimap, so you won't even have to get hosed by those bullshit traps. You can even get the same effect on certain gear pieces.

Unfortunately it's not obvious that it exists and it's basically mandatory to get if you value your sanity.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

Sounds like I should take another look at Unbound then. I didn't know that it had different developers from Heat.

Yeah it's far from perfect but a much better game than Heat. I honestly don't understand why Unbound did so much worse than Heat critically, people clung onto the bad story and the cringe dialog which is definitely A Thing but it's easily ignored. You can do the 10 hours through EA Play trial dealie if you have gamepass, I spent about 3-4 hours in that trial then decided to buy it and didn't regret it.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I already felt like I wasnt finding enough Pharros stones a and then I wander into lockstone chamber

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mr.Acula posted:

I already felt like I wasnt finding enough Pharros stones a and then I wander into lockstone chamber

95% of them open/activate traps, and not as a gently caress you, but in order to enable one the game's crazy covenant ideas. If you just want the loot, use a guide.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

explosivo posted:

Yeah it's far from perfect but a much better game than Heat. I honestly don't understand why Unbound did so much worse than Heat critically, people clung onto the bad story and the cringe dialog which is definitely A Thing but it's easily ignored. You can do the 10 hours through EA Play trial dealie if you have gamepass, I spent about 3-4 hours in that trial then decided to buy it and didn't regret it.

I bounced off the game part tbh, the chases seemed way too easy even on the highest wanted level and the races sucked versus AI. I'd have to blow restarts because one AI would magically be like half the track ahead while the rest of us are stuck in a position so far back that it would be impossible to pass them at any point, like at least it did customization and stuff well, but idk, the racing and cop chases weren't super engaging on top of all the cringe and whatnot

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, the AI being fairly insurmountable is a major problem I had with Unbound. Some races are just impossible if you don't race them perfectly because the AI will just get ahead and stay there, often increasing their commanding lead as the races goes on even on the easy difficulty. It's not particularly fun. I also couldn't really adjust to the racing model they used. I found drifting to be really hard to get used to (and never really did). It's pretty simple to engage but I always had a hard time maintaining it and using that really good but finicky mechanic where you can boost out of it and snap to a direction.

I just prefer super arcadey racers like Burnout and Unbound wasn't quite there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think I liked it because it followed that same "upgrade your car until you're blowing everything out of the water" path that the old NFS games took, although I did definitely start to encounter the issues mentioned about the AI being unbeatable towards the end of the game when you're doing S and S+ races. Namely the one track that was the long highway straightaway race I thought was impossible to win because you rarely had a chance to overtake anyone and if your car was a lower top speed than the others that was kinda it. The drifting/cornering is where I was able to make up most of my time. I did find the higher level police chases to be actually pretty difficult though, maybe it was the added pressure of losing your money if you were busted that actually made it tense but I thought it was a neat system that actually had me thinking carefully about whether to do another race or head back before it got too hot.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah at least the police presence seemed interesting, lot of moments where you're trying to get to another race at night and you're like "oh poo poo there's a cop coming up" and slam on your brakes and turn around or w/e.

I really wish they made a fully good Need For Speed game again, I really want to love them :(

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i really wish you could sort uninstalled games in your library by required disk space. i know it knows because it tells you when you click through to the game page

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Jack Trades posted:

Both games do the lovely Souls "gently caress you" enemy placements but both Nioh games also have an incredibly easy to get item called Divination Talisman that will just mark all enemies around you on your minimap, so you won't even have to get hosed by those bullshit traps. You can even get the same effect on certain gear pieces.

Unfortunately it's not obvious that it exists and it's basically mandatory to get if you value your sanity.

Mmm no I've played most Soulsborne games and they don't have anywhere near as poo poo enemy placement as Nioh does, or as lazy when it comes to the corner-campers. I've also a lot more "bullshit"-reaction from deaths in Nioh when compared to Soulsborne, which is a subjective thing I know but the campers are like, an objectively overused trick in Nioh. Big part of me putting it down in zone 4.

Like, spotting the enemy isn't even the problem after you notice the trend since expecting it is already baked into my gameplay. The issue is that they are all basically spring-loaded to jump you the second you cut the corner. So you either trigger with a dodge or run past, but it's still lame and I hate how every time I stop paying attention, expecting that whoever was doing the placements had gotten it out of their system, BAM, there it is again. Lame.

Kinda' hearing 2 still does this but hey almost everyone, Steam review included, are in agreement it's a better game. Here's hoping. Deffo feel like Nioh is a jankier grognardier game when compared to like ER or DSIII, although I can appreciate how some people might prefer Nioh's combat system for the same reasons I'm not really liking everything else; I don't feel "DS, but fiddly and grognardy" is really that great.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Weedle posted:

i really wish you could sort uninstalled games in your library by required disk space. i know it knows because it tells you when you click through to the game page

:boom::same:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
souls games have enemy gotchas but they’re usually obvious and spread out enough to catch you only if you’re rushing/stressed. Nioh (maybe because of the denser level design) had ambushes falling out of every eave, it got a little silly

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Oxxidation posted:

souls games have enemy gotchas but they’re usually obvious and spread out enough to catch you only if you’re rushing/stressed. Nioh (maybe because of the denser level design) had ambushes falling out of every eave, it got a little silly

This. I think if Nioh spaced them out a bit they would be fine, and a few of them were clever enough that I really wish they had been genuine surprises - the ones using bait enemies in particular - but usually they happened like two thirds of a mission in after the second or third corner-camper had me remembering the placement pattern.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dark Souls 3 felt like it had more mimic chests than actual chests.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

every mini dungeon in Elden Ring had at least 30 gargoyles on walls, around corners, or on ceilings

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only part of souls where I thought the ambushes rose to the level of an eye roll was cathedral of the deep in dark souls 3. the rooftops as you’re approaching it are just egregious to the point where I didn’t actually get “caught” by a single one of the ambushes on my first run but still got exhausted by spotting yet another thrall waiting on every single wall you pass by. between things like that and the very first chest in the game being a mimic, DS3 felt highly over-indulgent.

Nioh would be on that level if enemy radar didn’t exist and is easy to get. also, its version of mimics is incredible.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 27, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leaving aside the bad loot system Nioh's just not a very interesting game

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

RBA Starblade posted:

so did you not play nioh 1 or 2 or did you just get filtered by an early boss

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
There are so many things on sale that I'm on the verge of just breaking down and buying everything on my wishlist right now that's 40% off or more, and that's not even counting the puzzle bundle, and the upcoming spring sale, and Phantom Brigade and Dungeons of Aether releasing tomorrow...

its too much

EDIT: Also Prestige Tree was good, but maybe I'm a bit tired after it to play the incremental that's actually on Steam right now (Your Chronicle), for better or worse.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 27, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ShadowMar posted:

No he’s right at it’s core it’s a bit boring

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

You dont have to buy all the games. Otoh nothing matters

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Nioh is a solid action game (mostly the second one, the demon counter attack makes combat so much smoother) but so much of its later content revolves around remixed stages or that asinine loot system

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Nioh 1 was maybe the most frustrated I've ever been with a soulslike, because the first level was so good. The boss felt like a bit of a downgrade (I don't like excessively tanky souls bosses), but it had great level design, fun exploration, you got to unlock all of these new and interesting interlocking systems, the whole thing was great. The next level was a bit shorter, and a bit more linear, but it was still pretty good!

Then the game felt like it rapidly funneled away from an exploration thingie, and more into an arena thingie. I enjoyed nearly every minute I put into it but didn't get anywhere close to finishing, because I got burned out on short, un-inventive levels filled with the same 4-5 enemy types I'd been murdering this whole time.

I enjoyed 2 a lot more, enough to finish it, but I'm honestly not sure if I would play a Nioh 3. Team Ninja has a certain ninja gaiden-esque flair to their design (no poo poo) that I personally just don't find enjoyable.

Also, I know I'm in the minority with this, but I've gotten really tired of how over-tuned souls and souls-like encounters have gotten. Demon's and Souls 1 were my jam, and part of why I prefer them over their sequels to this day is because I felt like I was allowed to make more than one mistake without being pounded into paste by whatever enemy I'd been chipping away at for three minutes.

It's actually something I feel the Surge games do better: sure, they were way less challenging, but with the exception of maybe two bosses in Surge 2, I felt like they had a really decent balance of danger and survivability that souls lost track of along the way.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Reading people's descriptions of Unbound and it just sounds like heat, but just with it's night setup applied to the day as well?

Like the night was setup so that each race added to your heat and increased cop presence. Getting away from cops is annoying till later in the game and you've got a super car. Cornering/drifting is weird. The story is absolutely dumb. Races were either easy or had impossible to beat AI.

Unbound is just heat but better driving?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Master_Odin posted:

Reading people's descriptions of Unbound and it just sounds like heat, but just with it's night setup applied to the day as well?

Like the night was setup so that each race added to your heat and increased cop presence. Getting away from cops is annoying till later in the game and you've got a super car. Cornering/drifting is weird. The story is absolutely dumb. Races were either easy or had impossible to beat AI.

Unbound is just heat but better driving?

Each race you do during day or night has a star rating that when finished, will add to your total stars out of 5. Before you "cash in" and lock in the money you earned during races you have to drive back to a safe house at night without getting caught or else you lose the money you earned during that entire day. The driving feels similar to Heat in regards to how 'loose' it is but I think it felt a bit more refined in Unbound. I really didn't get too far into Heat before dropping it though so maybe that's just something you get used to. It is similar in that you can tune a car's handling between drifting or speed just in the menu at any point which is weird but I kinda like it for easy adjustments when something doesn't feel right.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

explosivo posted:

Wait? Worse than Heat's 'story'?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

exquisite tea posted:

Dark Souls 3 felt like it had more mimic chests than actual chests.

At that point you have to blame the guys building chests that look like weird box monsters.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Late to the racing game speak but Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition is a high watermark for street racing games. Couldn’t get over how many cars were in that game and how much the Drum & Bass radio channel slapped. Midnight Club LA for PS3 didn’t seem to capture the magic like I had hoped and also you kind of got to the point where the cars became too fast and unwieldy to control them with mere moral senses so gave up on it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ShadowMar posted:

I got something like 10 hours in then got too bored to continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oxxidation posted:

Nioh is a solid action game (mostly the second one, the demon counter attack makes combat so much smoother) but so much of its later content revolves around remixed stages or that asinine loot system
i've gone from "someone who is way too into Path of Exile" to "can we just not" WRT loot systems and stats. probably a part of why I bounced off Nioh 2, the combat & gameplay mechanics are hard enough without having to keep track of a million stats too

(that said it's been long enough since my last bounce-off that i may give it another look sometime today, or at least this week)