Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Murdstone posted:

A glaring error on the part of Koppy Kat. How does he continue to get away with being a forger?

The answer is fine and doesn't require any ridiculous leaps of logic, but given that Kat's paintbrush is still dripping, couldn't Slylock just check and see which painting is still wet?

VVVVV Also a great point!

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 27, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

plainswalker75 posted:

The answer is fine and doesn't require any ridiculous leaps of logic, but given that Kat's paintbrush is still dripping, couldn't Slylock just check and see which painting is still wet?

or look at a picture because the museum tends to have pictures of things

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 6-8, 1941)

Some people like to paint the general public in the US as being completely oblivious to the war before Pearl Harbor, but clearly Williams could see it comming.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

For those enjoying the schAdamsfreude, he's also lost a book deal. It'd be nice if they dumped his backlist as well.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 6/26-28/50

Spoilered for still more stereotypical Native American stuff.

Why is this character even here!

Also

Wikipedia posted:

The term squaw is considered universally offensive by Indigenous peoples in America and Canada due to its use for hundreds of years in a derogatory context,[3] and usage that demeans Native American women. This has ranged from condescending images (e.g., picture postcards depicting "Indian squaw and papoose") to racialized epithets.[10][11] Alma Garcia has written, "It treats non-white women as if they were second-class citizens or exotic objects."[10]

In November 2021, the United States Department of the Interior, headed by Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland, declared squaw to be a derogatory and racist term and began formally removing the term from use on the federal level. Secretary Haaland announced the creation of a committee and process to review and replace the names of geographic features that contain the offensive term.[1]

While some have studied the elements of Algonquian words that might be related to the word, no matter the linguistic origins, the consensus among Native women, and Native people in general, is that the slur is too offensive,[1][2][3][5][6] and that any "reclamation" efforts would only apply to the small percentage of Native women from the Algonquian-language groups, and not to the vast majority of Native women who feel degraded by the term.[4][9] Indigenous women who have addressed the history and depth of this slur state that this degrading usage is now too long, and too painful, for it to ever take on a positive meaning among Indigenous women or Indigenous communities as a whole.

Vargo posted:

What the gently caress is this.
Spell it backwards.

EasyEW posted:

Miss Peach (August 14, 1989)

Why is this strip named after a character who I believe only appeared in a single strip, and not even an early strip.
Was 'Arthur' taken or something?

Julet Esqu posted:

Gil Thorp

It's not much, but it's a better Black History Month celebration than what some other comics writers decided to go with.

I feel like it would have been even more meaningful if there was more than on reference to Black History Month and if they didn't wait until literally the last couple days of February to make it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If we really wanted to be wacky Gil Thorpe could've actually spent 2-3 days to show us the entire speech! For all the things that could be good about it the drifting in and out method of story telling is just awful.

Man it's weird to go through two weeks of Mark Trail being too lazy to (appropriately) copy and paste the dimensions of a computer monitor and then the hard 180 to effort art for an entire strip.

lol, lmao at Scott Adams. Don't let the door hit your rear end on the way out, we don't want rear end prints on our door.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
president nobruob geltoob

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

president nobruob geltoob

*click*

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

The “new mayor” is a caricature of the prime minister at the time the pandemic broke out, who was widely reviled for being a Peter Principle career bureaucrat who couldn’t leadership his way out of a wet paper bag and badly fumbled the country’s handling of Covid-19 in the name of “maybe it’ll just all magically blow over before the Olympics”.

Cthulhu and Girl

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Deep. :)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hippocrass posted:

Why is this character even here!

I guess Messick decided that she needed to throw in some, forgive the expression, local color because Brenda's out west.

Pogo 3/27-29/50

Dr. Lysenko.

Archie 8/26-28/46

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

How does this comic keep getting better?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Today on Ballard Street, a very rare child sighting!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

How Wonderful! posted:

My life has become very very busy over the past few years but I just wanted to pop in here and celebrate never having to see Dilbert again with everyone.

I hope you’re doing well!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Hippocrass posted:

Spell it backwards.

I think Vargo got it but, not to put words in his mouth, it’s dumb

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (August 6-8, 1923; spoilered because we couldn't have gone forever without even a mild outbreak of the Usual Issues, could we...)

Toonerville Folks (October 11-13, 1920)

THE GANG AND "SISSY" JOHNSON: "Sissy" Johnson will never make the football team now after the howl he put up when the captain borrowed his swell football suit.

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: If the Skipper of the Trolley should run for office he would get the solid vote of every mother in the community.

THE TERRIBLE-TEMPERED MR. BANG: Mr. Bang expresses regret at having joined the new "carry-your-lunch" movement.

And another check-in with The Young Lady Who Lives Across The Way (October 12, 1920)

Dok's "Already Gotten Over His Potential Execution" Duck (August 9, 1914)

Little Lefty (February 10-12, 1938)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (August 6-8, 1923; spoilered because we couldn't have gone forever without even a mild outbreak of the Usual Issues, could we...)

$12 then is about $210 today. The reaction seems a bit much.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Gnoman posted:

$12 then is about $210 today. The reaction seems a bit much.
It's clearly meant to be a ritzy place though, so it was presumably more a ridiculous price back then. And a quick google suggests a more usual price per night would have been around $2 in 1920, creeping up to an average of $3(!!!) a night in 1930.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Hippocrass posted:

Spell it backwards.

No, I get that it's Trump but like... why are you not saying "Trump?"

Is this like calling him "Drumpf" "45" or "tfg" like I see Twitter liberals do, or is there some other reason?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Getting hosed By The Invisible Dick Of The Free Market

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Vargo posted:

Is this like calling him "Drumpf" "45" or "tfg" like I see Twitter liberals do, or is there some other reason?

It's a C-SPAM version of that. It's been two years since he left office and the C-SPAM Trump thread is still the highest traffic thread on the forums, for some insane reason, and its regulars are still addicted to posting nonsensical manglings of his name.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

All of the backgrounds are special effects. Some times the security guard gets bored and wants to see people wandering around a desert island or the vastness of space.

Gimme analog tech anyday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyEqzK4kC84

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

drat, look at the colors

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

It's a sign of terminal cspam poisoning. There's no known cure.

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Mar 13, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 10-11, 1993)

Ironically, one of the key ways you can identify good vs bad academia is how accessible it is. Good academics generally want you to understand what they have to say and speak their minds clearly (albeit while using academic jargon) while bad ones do what Calvin's doing up there so that they can imply a point has merit without actually having to defend it. Look at anything Jordan Peterson writes about lobsters and chaos dragon energy as a prime example of this.

Big Nate

Blind Alley

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 27, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

The “new mayor” is a caricature of the prime minister at the time the pandemic broke out, who was widely reviled for being a Peter Principle career bureaucrat who couldn’t leadership his way out of a wet paper bag and badly fumbled the country’s handling of Covid-19 in the name of “maybe it’ll just all magically blow over before the Olympics”.

Cthulhu and Girl

The Yellow Sign tattoo is a very nice touch.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

For those who haven't read too much Mythos stuff, the tattoo on the red-headed woman's hip is the Yellow Sign.

quote:

In the Cthulhu Mythos, The Yellow Sign is a symbol that is usually used by the Brotherhood of the Yellow Sign, a cult that worships the Great Old One Hastur.

It is said that the symbol can bestow supernatural powers such as mind-control and possession, and is used to get people under the control of the King in Yellow.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 01, 1956)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

For those who haven't read too much Mythos stuff, the tattoo on the red-headed woman's hip is the Yellow Sign.
It's also on Hastur's back in Hastaro form:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/27/03

Brenda Starr 6/29 - 7/1/50

Yeah, he's still here, hence the spoilers.

Smokey Stover 3/15/53

Everyday Movies 2/28/36

"So how can we now ask him not to cancel, when we're always telling him we lose money on his orders?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/23-25/40

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 01, 1956)

"Good luck, all you other galley slaves! Enjoy your life of toiling in chains!" :byewhore:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
drat, the person doing Cthulhu and Girl is putting in work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Has the artist behind Cthulhu and Girl done anything else notable in the past? Because this has been surprisingly good so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Making the rounds on the internet today: