Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Bann posted:

Vault Hunters 3rd edition questions:

-My understanding is that if you play on a normal world, you basically do not get into the modpack (meaning no researching other mods, no doing vaults) until you beat the ender dragon, right? I'm not sure this is correct because when I was checking out the 2nd edition earlier, I'm almost certain I started with 5 perk points there.
-I did not notice any quest book/quest mods, but looked briefly. Is there any guidance/structure outside of the encyclopedia you start with?

Would gladly hear any tips or tricks y'all might have. Thanks!

You just need some vault rock and some chromatic iron to start in 3e. Takes some digging, but you don't even have to go to the nether to get started. 3rd edition has a book, too, with stuff laid out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Hey apparently there is a vault compass that points back to the portal! Why is that not mentioned in the book ffs

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Bann posted:

Vault Hunters 3rd edition questions:

-My understanding is that if you play on a normal world, you basically do not get into the modpack (meaning no researching other mods, no doing vaults) until you beat the ender dragon, right? I'm not sure this is correct because when I was checking out the 2nd edition earlier, I'm almost certain I started with 5 perk points there.
-I did not notice any quest book/quest mods, but looked briefly. Is there any guidance/structure outside of the encyclopedia you start with?

Would gladly hear any tips or tricks y'all might have. Thanks!

VH3 changed it to where you no longer need to "beat" minecraft to start vaults. You need to acquire Vault Rock Fragments (that have a 10%? chance from Vault Stone) and Chromatic Iron. The recommendation for finding Chromatic Iron is to mine along chunk borders at around y -35. I used a trapdoor and just mined a single block path. When you find chromatic iron you will find it in huge veins. You could just mine them all or just mine a small amount and come back later with Fortune III + Vein Miner Fortune for more CI.

You no longer start with perk points, but you also do not have to complete vaults to gain experience anymore either. Opening chests, killing mobs, mining ores and completing the objective all give various amounts of XP when you exit the vault.

Vault Hunters isn't really a guided modpack, at best you have the book which notes blocks/concepts and what they do.

One of the first things you should do after finding vault rock is to make jars that you can place animals in. This mod was added to reduce lag, but it also makes managing the passive animals much easier. I.E. instead of feeding 64 sheep at once you can feed 64 sheep in a single click with a stack of wheat. Granted this also limits the amount you can breed per cooldown to a max of 64.

Due to needing vanilla resources to complete vault crystals you should look into making various vanilla farms (e.g. food farms, mob farms, guardian farms). Also find a method that you like to mark your movement through the vault (or spend 1 knowledge point to learn how to make the vault compass). If you're primarily single player you can just make a grid (like by using a spreadsheet) and mark your progression and just pause while doing so or you could say gently caress these restrictions and drop journey map in.

There is also a gamerule for casual mode that I believe at the moment just means you don't lose any of your gear if you die in a vault, which doesn't happen until you reach level 20+ vaults anyways. I might be wrong though, because I don't think casual mode is really explained clearly anywhere except maybe in a video by iskall?

For the early vaults the layout is typically a diamond that contains about 41 rooms, including the starting room.

Edit: I probably should have just linked a image of the layout instead of being lazy and uploading it, because the image is a bit too large. Good thing I see no way to remove attachments in an edit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Maguoob posted:

For the early vaults the layout is typically a diamond that contains about 41 rooms, including the starting room.

So uh, for stuff like "light the 2 Monoliths" objectives, are there really only two in the whole dungeon and you have to find them? Or are there multiple, and you only have to hit 2? Because finding which rooms they're in, especially when you have to poke around to find them even within the room, is a real pain.
I feel it'd be less frustrating if it pointed out the objectives but I guess it's not balanced around completion? I would love to how many dungeons you're actually supposed to "win", by the modmaker's presumption.
Anyway, time to keep complaining about objectives but then continue to play them anyway.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Objectives aren't meant to be completed until you've leveled up and gotten gear and skills. They do become quite doable after a while. All your early vaults should be focused on chest raiding for gear and mining out progression resources.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

So uh, for stuff like "light the 2 Monoliths" objectives, are there really only two in the whole dungeon and you have to find them? Or are there multiple, and you only have to hit 2? Because finding which rooms they're in, especially when you have to poke around to find them even within the room, is a real pain.
I feel it'd be less frustrating if it pointed out the objectives but I guess it's not balanced around completion? I would love to how many dungeons you're actually supposed to "win", by the modmaker's presumption.
Anyway, time to keep complaining about objectives but then continue to play them anyway.

I don't know how many monoliths actually spawn, but it is definitely more than the required amount. While I personally haven't run into more than required, I have seen youtubers find extra monoliths after they've completed the objective.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Actually instead of Journeymap, does anyone know what mod or config it is that disables Xaero's worldmap in the Vault dimension? I could just remove that if I knew.

Rynoto posted:

Objectives aren't meant to be completed until you've leveled up and gotten gear and skills. They do become quite doable after a while.
I don't mean for this to sound dismissive because it's a genuine question, but what skills would help finding the hidden objective targets? The speed talent seems like a big one.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Actually instead of Journeymap, does anyone know what mod or config it is that disables Xaero's worldmap in the Vault dimension? I could just remove that if I knew.

I don't mean for this to sound dismissive because it's a genuine question, but what skills would help finding the hidden objective targets? The speed talent seems like a big one.

Dash, speed boost, hunter (w/ Objective focus) would be the big ones. Something to note that when I was doing it in 6H was that the objective sight also pings the vault altars (the things that ask for health, experience, time, or kills).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Vib Rib posted:

The skills were already helpfully covered so I would just add that once you get a speed idol and more +speed in general you can just blaze through vaults looking for rare rooms and objectives.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Vib Rib posted:

The devs say that the objectives are not always going to be completable; it’s entirely possible that there aren’t enough monoliths, obelisks or scavenger items to complete an objective due to the nature of random generation. There isn’t a system in place to make sure an appropriate number of things spawn.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Spectral Werewolf posted:

The devs say that the objectives are not always going to be completable; it’s entirely possible that there aren’t enough monoliths, obelisks or scavenger items to complete an objective due to the nature of random generation. There isn’t a system in place to make sure an appropriate number of things spawn.

And the dev's claimed balance manifesto is that vaults should only be expected to be completed ~10% of the time by an average solo player, 15-20% if you're really good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My biggest complaint with vault hunters is how you'll need multiples of an item to advance and those items themselves will also need a bunch of another item that also needs another item and its all RNG. To make a knowledge star so you can unlock a single research point you need to get 9 knowledge essences to make one crystal and you need 8 crystals plus a knowledge star which requires 8 vault diamonds (have yet to find one) as well as a perfect gemstone which requires 4 of another gemstone which each requires 4 of another. If you want to unlock Create you need to do this 6 times, and the knowledge costs increase when you unlock stuff.

Like drat its already RNG if this stuff drops, surely these don't need to be as resource intensive?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Colossal Chests is my new favorite mod. Modern Skyblock 3 makes you build one as part of its Gated mode and I originally thought I was going to build a couple crystal chests to stash underneath my mob farm. Last night i built a 7x7x7 colossal chest multiblock under the hoppers below my mob farm instead and woke up today to a bunch of lootbags and new drops from my diamond spikes, and it was barely a quarter full despite multiple stacks of these new items and blocks of xperience. Plus it's just funny seeing a 7x7 chest open up through the pillar of a mob farm :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Leal posted:

My biggest complaint with vault hunters is how you'll need multiples of an item to advance and those items themselves will also need a bunch of another item that also needs another item and its all RNG. To make a knowledge star so you can unlock a single research point you need to get 9 knowledge essences to make one crystal and you need 8 crystals plus a knowledge star which requires 8 vault diamonds (have yet to find one) as well as a perfect gemstone which requires 4 of another gemstone which each requires 4 of another. If you want to unlock Create you need to do this 6 times, and the knowledge costs increase when you unlock stuff.

Like drat its already RNG if this stuff drops, surely these don't need to be as resource intensive?
I definitely agree that research, of all these things, might be the most prohibitively balanced. You get research much more slowly than levels, and the grind is ongoing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Started a new game and just cheated myself in a budding crystal block so I can still use the skyblock-oriented raw vaults but in a regular world. Takes some of the pressure off and helps get some basic materials in a more convenient and fun way. But also doesn't leave me aimlessly searching vault after vault hoping for sugar cane when the vault altar asks for it.
Still have to dig down, go spelunking, find some vault stone to get started. And maybe prep some basic equipment and living quarters. But so far I think this is the best way to play the pack.

Also beat my first objective! Literally the first raw vault I opened on this save wanted me to find 3 monoliths. I visited 3 rooms, each had a monolith, and each time it was just sitting out plainly visible in the center of the room. Hooray! Went straight up to level 2 in one go.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

bawk posted:

Colossal Chests is my new favorite mod. Modern Skyblock 3 makes you build one as part of its Gated mode and I originally thought I was going to build a couple crystal chests to stash underneath my mob farm. Last night i built a 7x7x7 colossal chest multiblock under the hoppers below my mob farm instead and woke up today to a bunch of lootbags and new drops from my diamond spikes, and it was barely a quarter full despite multiple stacks of these new items and blocks of xperience. Plus it's just funny seeing a 7x7 chest open up through the pillar of a mob farm :v:

nevermind this mod loving sucks, you cannot sort inventories and stuff just sorta piles up willy-nilly

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

bawk posted:

nevermind this mod loving sucks, you cannot sort inventories and stuff just sorta piles up willy-nilly

The big truck has failed, return to the series of tubes.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

StealthArcher posted:

The big truck has failed, return to the series of tubes.

I'm gonna have to sit down with MS3 tonight and plan out further in the tree as far as how to get certain things in Gated mode. I'm in "basic farming" right now (there's 15 different tiers of seeds to grow requiring cross pollination in plots on specific soils with certain light levels :stonkhat: gonna spend all weekend on Basic Farming lol) and I am missing refined storage a lot. I think if it exists in the mod pack, it's way down at the bottom by mystical agriculture and extreme crafting.

I appreciate the Gated mode though, because it forces you to learn modpacks, for better or worse. In the last pack I sat down with I just blew straight through mystical agriculture and refined storage, never learning how to use any of the other machines since I already had really good stuff, with the exception of struggling with Extreme Reactors for FE. This time around I'm learning more interesting interactions between some mods before getting into OP territory

Plus I just got a random Viking chest plate loot drop with built in infinite jetpack enchantment, sooooooo :shepface:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I wish there were more bridging mods like Thaumic Energistics.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bawk posted:

How many slots are there to sort? 1000? Do keep in mind that sorting gets increasingly slow the more slots there are... items have a lot of data, the sorting algorithm has to look at every item, and then move them around afterwards. I think actually moving the items around is the most cpu-intensive part for some reason.
Anyway, that's probably why you can't sort it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

McFrugal posted:

How many slots are there to sort? 1000? Do keep in mind that sorting gets increasingly slow the more slots there are... items have a lot of data, the sorting algorithm has to look at every item, and then move them around afterwards. I think actually moving the items around is the most cpu-intensive part for some reason.
Anyway, that's probably why you can't sort it.

Looking it up, it seems like it doesn't sort because of how the sorting technically works in MS3, where it needs to "see" the whole container to sort it properly and colossal Chests doesn't play well with it. It's a known bug but seems like a wontfix, which I've run into a few times in thus pack. It doesn't always outright fail, but it only "sorts" by filling in gaps in the inventory with items, it doesn't actually sort them in any way like regular chests do, regardless of size.

I just swapped it with a drawer controller setup and a dump chest for odds and ends.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Two more Vault Hunters questions:
1. I've noticed there are some places in a vault where the spawners work like regular Minecraft spawners, rather than vault spawners. Meaning they just keep pumping out enemies and never turn themselves off. Is there supposed to be some way to deal with these? Any way to destroy them or turn them off? Or is it literally just an area you cannot stay in?
2. A few times now I've found vault gem ore (for instance "vaultstone larimar ore") in some room, mined it, and only gotten experience. Do these only have a chance at dropping gems? Or is something wrong with my game?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Two more Vault Hunters questions:
1. I've noticed there are some places in a vault where the spawners work like regular Minecraft spawners, rather than vault spawners. Meaning they just keep pumping out enemies and never turn themselves off. Is there supposed to be some way to deal with these? Any way to destroy them or turn them off? Or is it literally just an area you cannot stay in?
2. A few times now I've found vault gem ore (for instance "vaultstone larimar ore") in some room, mined it, and only gotten experience. Do these only have a chance at dropping gems? Or is something wrong with my game?

There are, I believe, 3 types of spawners inside the vault.
1. Ambush Spawners: These are the ones that spawn a set # of monsters and then vanish.
2. Regular Spawners: Typical spawners that just spawn a couple monsters on a timer.
3. Super Spawners*: Typically found in dungeons or certain challenge rooms, these poo poo out monsters, but ones in dungeons can still be destroyed.

As for vault ores, yes, they roll can roll 0 gems. As you should already notice, iskall loves random bullshit. If you want a guaranteed 1 gem you have to smelt it, otherwise take the risk of getting 0.

*The "Super Spawners", as I'm calling them, are protected by unbreakable blocks in the 100% worthless factory room, and the dragon hoard room. Never bother with the factory room that just shits out monsters, because it is an entirely pointless room. The dragon room can be cheesed if you make a hole for all the monsters to fall in and seal it off, because once the spawn cap is hit no more monsters will spawn. The other place you usually see these types of spawners are the various dungeons and they can be broken like any other spawner.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
iirc the spawners in vault rooms require vault tools to break, can't do it using normal tools.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Leal posted:

iirc the spawners in vault rooms require vault tools to break, can't do it using normal tools.
If so, that's what I was missing. I ran into what seemed like pretty normal spawners but there didn't seem to be a way to break or disable them, even with a diamond pick, so I just assumed they were meant to be infinite. I'll have to prioritize getting a vault pick sometime soon then.
Can vault tools be enchanted? Can you put mending on them? Or are they limited to only using that repair slot system?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Vault stuff can't have mending, you have to burn repair pips. It is otherwise enchantable. I think some enchantments don't function inside the vault. Barry from the Yogs was saying that Power doesn't on bows and he hasn't been putting Protection on stuff, so I assume you need to get affixes to get more armor. But Unbreaking is useful on basically everything.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 25, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Wait a second. Do Industrial Apiaries in GT:NH really explode in the rain, even though they require being open to the sky for bees to do their thing? Or am I doing something wrong? (I may have cheated them in just because I like breeding bees in Gendustry.)

I'm probably putting down GT:NH for a while because the grind and the incredibly nitpicky nature of its crafting are starting to get to me. I might just kitchen-sink some 1.7.10 stuff together so I can go through TC4 and Chromaticraft stuff again. Is there a stand-alone Gregtech mod, though? I still have fun with how some of its processing and chemistry works.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

RocketMermaid posted:

Wait a second. Do Industrial Apiaries in GT:NH really explode in the rain, even though they require being open to the sky for bees to do their thing? Or am I doing something wrong? (I may have cheated them in just because I like breeding bees in Gendustry.)

I'm probably putting down GT:NH for a while because the grind and the incredibly nitpicky nature of its crafting are starting to get to me. I might just kitchen-sink some 1.7.10 stuff together so I can go through TC4 and Chromaticraft stuff again. Is there a stand-alone Gregtech mod, though? I still have fun with how some of its processing and chemistry works.

Based on it being GT im going to say yes. And that you need to put a super clear glass block above it or some thing....

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

GregTech CE: Unofficial is the standalone version of gregtech that's used in Nomifactory which, if you haven't played it, is a modpack designed to a more pure factory builder compared to GTNH. It's also significantly less grindy and less tiers with more emphasis on early scaling and automation with access to infinite resources coming at a steady pace.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Rynoto posted:

GregTech CE: Unofficial is the standalone version of gregtech that's used in Nomifactory which, if you haven't played it, is a modpack designed to a more pure factory builder compared to GTNH. It's also significantly less grindy and less tiers with more emphasis on early scaling and automation with access to infinite resources coming at a steady pace.

Is there a standalone for 1.7.10, though?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The more I play of Vault Hunters the more I realize the economy is absolutely hosed. It costs an insane amount of semi-rare gems and other resources to make a single knowledge point. Unlocking mods costs multiple knowledge points (Create is 6, I think?) and then when you do unlock it, the next mod unlock from the same category costs +12, and more after that. I've been through over 30 vaults, some wins and losses, over 60% survival, and I only just now have enough for one knowledge point. Later vaults probably start getting more payoff but right now it's ludicrous.

Everything in the entire mod is like this. Creating just a single large cogwheel from Create requires compound resources from the Vault. Every skill upgrade is very minor and takes an entire level or more to afford (I'm currently at only level 8, after all this). A single hopping bonsai? 8 extremely rare gems, 16 more common gems, and 16 chromatic steel, each of which takes 4 chromatic iron ingots and 2 full units of vault carbon. I looked up how to craft a "repair core" -- something that can repair your vault gear a single time before being consumed -- and it costs 16 very rare gems, a bunch of scrap you get from destroying other vault gear, and 6 netherite scraps.

In a game mode where you can lose your entire inventory on death, it takes the resources of over 10 successful raids (generously!) to repair a single piece of gear you already have. You have to pay out the nose for the incredible privilege of... being able to automatically harvest a vanilla plant. When you want to change your detector spell's specialization from detecting one type of block to another? More rare gems, a ton of coins, rare drops. Everything in this mod costs something, nothing is given for free even if it's an obvious quality of life fix, you're punishingly locked into everything you spend skill points on so you have no ability to experiment or play around with your build, and if you slip up once because our infinite spawners dropped a creeper on your head, it's all gone.

I like the basic gameloop but the balance is pure garbage and it feels like it's built around nonstop play. I can't imagine how many hours you're supposed to sink into this to be able to afford these things.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

The more I play of Vault Hunters the more I realize the economy is absolutely hosed. It costs an insane amount of semi-rare gems and other resources to make a single knowledge point. Unlocking mods costs multiple knowledge points (Create is 6, I think?) and then when you do unlock it, the next mod unlock from the same category costs +12, and more after that. I've been through over 30 vaults, some wins and losses, over 60% survival, and I only just now have enough for one knowledge point. Later vaults probably start getting more payoff but right now it's ludicrous.

Everything in the entire mod is like this. Creating just a single large cogwheel from Create requires compound resources from the Vault. Every skill upgrade is very minor and takes an entire level or more to afford (I'm currently at only level 8, after all this). A single hopping bonsai? 8 extremely rare gems, 16 more common gems, and 16 chromatic steel, each of which takes 4 chromatic iron ingots and 2 full units of vault carbon. I looked up how to craft a "repair core" -- something that can repair your vault gear a single time before being consumed -- and it costs 16 very rare gems, a bunch of scrap you get from destroying other vault gear, and 6 netherite scraps.

In a game mode where you can lose your entire inventory on death, it takes the resources of over 10 successful raids (generously!) to repair a single piece of gear you already have. You have to pay out the nose for the incredible privilege of... being able to automatically harvest a vanilla plant. When you want to change your detector spell's specialization from detecting one type of block to another? More rare gems, a ton of coins, rare drops. Everything in this mod costs something, nothing is given for free even if it's an obvious quality of life fix, you're punishingly locked into everything you spend skill points on so you have no ability to experiment or play around with your build, and if you slip up once because our infinite spawners dropped a creeper on your head, it's all gone.

I like the basic gameloop but the balance is pure garbage and it feels like it's built around nonstop play. I can't imagine how many hours you're supposed to sink into this to be able to afford these things.

Sounds like your average pack made for/by streamers who need/want to milk every second of playtime.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

From what I can tell watching a couple of people stream it, it scales with your level, I don't think you're supposed to be banging out create contraptions at level 8

most of them power level up to about level 20 and any knowledge points get put straight in to the bag mods that you can take in the vaults with you. Means you can spend more time in there, farm pretty much everything and not have to ever leave due to full inventory space.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AceClown posted:

From what I can tell watching a couple of people stream it, it scales with your level, I don't think you're supposed to be banging out create contraptions at level 8

most of them power level up to about level 20 and any knowledge points get put straight in to the bag mods that you can take in the vaults with you. Means you can spend more time in there, farm pretty much everything and not have to ever leave due to full inventory space.

It's grindy and balanced around people who play every day on multiplayer servers. They claim it's balanced for single player but they make knee-jerk nerfs when something doesn't work in multiplayer, even if it nukes the purpose of a feature in single player from orbit.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Devor posted:

It's grindy and balanced around people who play every day on multiplayer servers. They claim it's balanced for single player but they make knee-jerk nerfs when something doesn't work in multiplayer, even if it nukes the purpose of a feature in single player from orbit.

yeah sorry, I wasn't fully trying to defend it because it is grindy as gently caress and the devs are the type who will see a streamer find a fun shortcut that isn't really that big of a deal and nerf it to poo poo because MUH VISONS

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

An ender eye for an eye, all pack makers should be blind.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I like a lot about it but yeah the grind is getting to me early on. That and vault crystals keep wanting gravel and I'm in Skyblock and the vaults seem to have ZERO

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Right now I'm just focusing on levels and skills, throwing on any gear I happen to find, and ignoring pretty much all the side systems like research, scrapping, enhancement, and so on. Hopefully around level 10 the balance shifts a bit. I do know there are thresholds where various modifiers unlock, loot tables change, and layouts deepen, but there's no documentation I can find on exactly what and where, so my current plan is to just plow through and hope it gets more generous fast.

socialsecurity posted:

I like a lot about it but yeah the grind is getting to me early on. That and vault crystals keep wanting gravel and I'm in Skyblock and the vaults seem to have ZERO
I'm having a lot of fun with a regular world and a budding crystal block so I get raw vault access for certain materials in bulk. The skyblock portion is clever but really not balanced for the resources you need. I don't think I've ever seen sugar cane yet.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

socialsecurity posted:

Just cheat in the poo poo for vault crystals, man. Raw vaults are lame and give no xp past lvl 5. Even if I wasn't playing skyblock I would cheat in the materials to make vault crystals. Why the gently caress would I want to do boring rear end vanilla minecraft poo poo in a modpack about speed running dungeon mazes for loot?

On the flip side it also makes me not care about most of the research so idk I'm already done with the pack since it's impossible to consistently clear vaults (Hunter cooldown is too long even at lvl 11 for monoliths, challenge rooms are just impossible alone because the melee guys have 150 hp, scavenger hunt you can't bring resources from previous hunts and there always seems to be one loot type that refuses to appear). It's clearly balanced for a large party and it sucks single player or even playing duo.

Fun concept, everything is really cool except the part where they just won't stop punching you in the dick. No map/waypoints, have to unlock the compass, 0 xp if you die (and later loss of items), nowhere near enough time to explore a vault fully.

Actually, the entire modpack would be about a million times more fun without the time limits. The vaults are fun to explore and loot but the time pressure just absolutely sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Actually, the entire modpack would be about a million times more fun without the time limits. The vaults are fun to explore and loot but the time pressure just absolutely sucks.
100% agree. Genuinely can't tell what the time limit is supposed to add except that other raid based games have one and they figured they had to, too. The funniest part is the consumable items they give you that add a health penalty but give you more time... 10 seconds.

Even fundamental stuff like timers feel like they go against the whole point. Especially when so much of the actual vault exploration is just hoping you run into randomly placed objectives. It would be cool if some objectives were like, "kill this boss", and it pointed you to them. Or if you had to fight your way to the monoliths and obelisks, but they were marked. Or if the obelisk guardians didn't summon 6 guys with 150hp, huge damage, and knockback immunity.
The mod is a lot of fun but needs an extreme balance overhaul, especially if you're playing solo.