Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Would, complaining about the nomenclature between bites.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dareon posted:

Would, complaining about the nomenclature between bites.
:hai:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Few things in this thread have actually repulsed me, but that makes the list near the top.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/EclecticHams/status/1630061646335942658?s=20

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

t' bean juice

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
bean wet

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

would, although I wouldn't have chopped the kielbasa like that, I would make it more hot dog like

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

You fools were out there arguing about beans in chili and hot dogs being sandwiches and meanwhile people are putting loving beans on sandwiches.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Ror posted:

You fools were out there arguing about beans in chili and hot dogs being sandwiches and meanwhile people are putting loving beans on sandwiches.
Does that mean the sandwich is now chili?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think that makes it pizza

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am a firm believer in no pizza rules. But you better not post the beanza out of respect for the communication medium of Web forums.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The only thing I can agree on is that you do indeed to schneak a slice a ham.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm a little disappointed that sauerkraut casserole, of all things, did not turn out to be a helldish worthy of the thread.

I got all excited when the name popped up, but it's literally just sausages in kraut with some onions and seasoning, the same as when I make bratwurst except for baking rather than boiling. Anyway now I'm also sad because it got me craving brats and I have none of those ingredients at the moment.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm a little disappointed that sauerkraut casserole, of all things, did not turn out to be a helldish worthy of the thread.

I got all excited when the name popped up, but it's literally just sausages in kraut with some onions and seasoning, the same as when I make bratwurst except for baking rather than boiling. Anyway now I'm also sad because it got me craving brats and I have none of those ingredients at the moment.

Yeah even with the bad 70’s photography that looks good as hell

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Captain Hygiene posted:

When I lived in Germany, my roommate made me sauerkraut auflauf, very much expecting me to hate it. It was extremely good and tasty.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Talked to my Mom and we're going to try and do this for a family dinner some time.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had this all the time growing up, but with kovbasa instead.

I hated it then because I thought sauerkraut was gross but I wonder if i'd think it was just whatever now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly, I think sauerkraut is the biggest change in food taste I've had since childhood. I also hated it growing up, but then it just flipped on me, now I can't stop munching on it by the forkfull straight out of the jar any time I use it in a meal.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve always loved sauerkraut, even as a kid. To be fair, I also loved raw onions.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly, I think sauerkraut is the biggest change in food taste I've had since childhood. I also hated it growing up, but then it just flipped on me, now I can't stop munching on it by the forkfull straight out of the jar any time I use it in a meal.

I haaaaaated sauerkraut until I had a reuban

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Reubens were my favorite til I threw one up

Still my number one major food loss

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think I would have liked it as a kid if I’d had good sauerkraut but it was always the nasty canned stuff.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Brawnfire posted:

Reubens were my favorite til I threw one up

Still my number one major food loss

It took me a good couple of years to get back into eating sweet potatoes and peanut butter after a similar experience with a bad curry.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

It took me a good couple of years to get back into eating sweet potatoes and peanut butter after a similar experience with a bad curry.

I work with small kids and when I first started working it took a long time before I was able to eat peanut butter again.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Whooping Crabs posted:

ketchup has too low of a pH for it to be botulism, the pH of ketchup is ~3.9 while C. botulinum doesn't grow below a pH of 4.6

Edit: it's probably yeast that started to ferment the sugars in the packet into alcohol and CO2
Well, it turns out we'd saved some other ketchup packets from this restaurant, apparently from the same batch.

They show varying levels of inflation and one had burst. I took some juice from the burst one and put it under the microscope.

I'm no expert but these look like yeast cells mixed in with the normal stuff. So, in conclusion,

Whooping Crabs posted:

it's probably yeast
Also it smelled fermented so I didn't really need to do any of that.
I also saw this weird spiralling shape.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the last time i got real bad food poisoning was when i was like 10 years old. i ate chicken fried steak with gravy at a place called Western Sizzlin' and then spent the next two days lying on my side in bed throwing up into a trash can. i have never again eaten it. not like it's hard to avoid, as opposed to potatoes or peanut butter, but even still perhaps it's time to confront this demonic culinary foe once and for all.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

Well, it turns out we'd saved some other ketchup packets from this restaurant, apparently from the same batch.

They show varying levels of inflation and one had burst. I took some juice from the burst one and put it under the microscope.

I'm no expert but these look like yeast cells mixed in with the normal stuff. So, in conclusion,

This thread rules

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

common tomato syphilis

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I think I would have liked it as a kid if I’d had good sauerkraut but it was always the nasty canned stuff.

The jarred fermented stuff is so much better then the canned pickled stuff. Not that I'll turn my nose up at the pickled stuff.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Well, poo poo, now I gotta know what that bacterium was. Campylobacter?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

C. jejuni isn’t spiral shaped like that. Might be some kind of spirochaete but I’m not really an expert

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we must know what kind of terrible disease is imparted by the forbidden ketchup.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah, good old Ketchup With A KickTM

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Scarodactyl posted:

This definitely looks like budding yeast, although I'd want to see more than the two in this field to be sure. (and to make sure I'm not confusing it with regular ketchup juice junk)

Idk what magnification this is, but the spiral looks too big to be a bacteria if it's the same scale as the probably-yeast shot.

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Feb 28, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pyf horrible food and microbiology

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's cropped heavily from a 20x/0.75 so not insanely high mag. There were a lot of the budding yeast shaped things around which is what made me think they weren't just random blobs.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Elviscat posted:

The jarred fermented stuff is so much better then the canned pickled stuff. Not that I'll turn my nose up at the pickled stuff.

It's so drat easy to make too! Slice cabbage, toss with about 1.5-2 tsp per pound and massage it up for a bit. Let it sit out for 20ish minutes to get some brine going, then pack into a mason jar. I have fermentation weights and airlock lids, but you can pretty much just get by with a jar and a coffee filter secured to the top with a rubber band. Then just toss that bad boy in a cabinet for a week or two.

Obviously other stuff can be added as well. I like a clove or two of garlic, maybe some caraway seeds if I'm feeling nuts.

Batch I started yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Captain Hygiene posted:

For most of my life I've been indifferent towards sauerkraut but last year randomly we tried kapusniak and now I can't get enough of the stuff. I would devour that casserole.