Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I'm almost certain when I settled in the location I chose, I made sure to settle nearby to all major civs. The only civs that come to trade with me are Dwarves? I haven't had a single Elven or Human caravan. Do I need to contact them first or what gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Check the world screen and see what's nearby. Could be that everything near you are small civs and don't have much to trade (tho honestly I don't know if this plays a factor into the trade calculation).

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Qubee posted:

So I'm almost certain when I settled in the location I chose, I made sure to settle nearby to all major civs. The only civs that come to trade with me are Dwarves? I haven't had a single Elven or Human caravan. Do I need to contact them first or what gives?

Go to the map and click on various settlements, chances are they'll show as "No Contact" which means exactly what it says

To contact them you can make a 1 unit squad and send them on a "demand tribute" mission - this won't start a war, and once it finishes, usually you start getting caravans a while after.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Is there any way to get your miners to wear armor while they mine? I’d like to give my miners an extra bit of protection for digging out a gem spire. I have them with a full steel uniform set to be worn all the time and it mostly works, but as soon as they actually start a mining job they take it all off first which defeats the purpose.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

Is there any way to get your miners to wear armor while they mine? I’d like to give my miners an extra bit of protection for digging out a gem spire. I have them with a full steel uniform set to be worn all the time and it mostly works, but as soon as they actually start a mining job they take it all off first which defeats the purpose.

Nope! This has to do with dwarf fortress' arcane system for determining what a dwarf will and won't wear. Technically the miner has a 'uniform' and it specifies clothing not armor.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Last year when the elves visited me they warned me to not chop down any more trees. Well no one tells my dwarves they can't get wood but me. After some more clear cutting I'm waiting for their return.

I finally hit magma at -110 lol. Does anyone have a good video about getting magma up 100 plus floors? I've carved out a room and put up some magma shops one level above the magma after figuring out how to use the channel digging to get magma accessible, but its a long walk for my stumpy folk

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My biggest point of sadness with my current embark is I chose a place that wasn't heavily forested. I really, really love the heavily forested feeling. I also love the ample supply of wood. I almost always go for extremely flat, heavily forested sites situated next to a river. I don't know why I didn't do that this time around.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Last year when the elves visited me they warned me to not chop down any more trees. Well no one tells my dwarves they can't get wood but me. After some more clear cutting I'm waiting for their return.

I finally hit magma at -110 lol. Does anyone have a good video about getting magma up 100 plus floors? I've carved out a room and put up some magma shops one level above the magma after figuring out how to use the channel digging to get magma accessible, but its a long walk for my stumpy folk

the easiest way is to fill minecarts with magma. You need to just throw a bunch into a room, flood the room with magma, the carts will disappear because they didnt assign the icons properly but they're still there, just filled with magma now. Remove the magma from the area then bring them up and set up a dump track. you need two carts per workshop.

if you want LOTS of magma though you'll need a pump stack.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is that two minecarts per workshop each time you queue up a task? Or is it two minecarts per workshop and they're magma powered forever?

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
the lava isn't used up, you need 4/7 lava and it will work forever

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah the only fiddly bit is setting up the minecarts and stops but it's far far simpler and more resource efficient than a 100 layer tall magma safe pump stack.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Synthbuttrange posted:

the easiest way is to fill minecarts with magma. You need to just throw a bunch into a room, flood the room with magma, the carts will disappear because they didnt assign the icons properly but they're still there, just filled with magma now. Remove the magma from the area then bring them up and set up a dump track. you need two carts per workshop.

if you want LOTS of magma though you'll need a pump stack.

i just built a pump stack up from a magma pipe in the caverns to my workshop area. great success. first time ive done it other than with water

i recommend doing that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ive got a dwarf who is really upset because he hasnt been able to pray to a specific god. but i have a temple set up just for that god. why wont he go there and pray like everyone else is doing???

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

fart simpson posted:

ive got a dwarf who is really upset because he hasnt been able to pray to a specific god. but i have a temple set up just for that god. why wont he go there and pray like everyone else is doing???

Maybe he's too busy with other tasks to get around to it? Try putting him in a 'relax' burrow that just has food/tavern/temple/bed.

I've had a similar issue though so maybe there's something else going on.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Managed to finally find Adamantine in the fort I’m in. Fort is about 11 years old and something is killing the fps besides just population, think it might be the amount of magma or something since I turned off cavern invaders ages ago. Hopefully will be able to dig through some semi molten rock before fps death. Also tried out the justice system and it worked ok until a noble banned exports of a querns as I was selling them and my 5 cells were taken up immediately while my captain of the guard beat the poo poo out of 40 dwarves. They all had to be hospitalized but my fort has never been happier, almost up to 99 of the happiest level.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
what's the easiest / best way to share and show off a fort, since steam screenshots don't work?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

what's the easiest / best way to share and show off a fort, since steam screenshots don't work?

Print screen and paste to GIMP. :smith: That's what I have been doing.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Windows Snipping Tool isn't bad for the purpose.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I’m thinking about sending some of my resident scholars to some of the many, many places we have conquered and occupied in hopes of new ones. My current scholars (like 12 of them?) write a book about one a year now… though I do have almost 600 total in the library.

The library is the most important part of the game just FYI.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Similarly to the screenshot question, is there a way to get a much wider area displayed at once by stonesense? I’d like, say, the entire map.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, I threw up some snapshots of my fort-in-progress on imgur.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GfJACTN

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dang, that’s nice. My poo poo’s always a hodge podge. Although that’s often on purpose because otherwise I get completely paralyzed trying to make the most perfectly symmetric and organized masterpiece with zero do-overs. There is no middle ground between those two approaches.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bad Munki posted:

Dang, that’s nice. My poo poo’s always a hodge podge. Although that’s often on purpose because otherwise I get completely paralyzed trying to make the most perfectly symmetric and organized masterpiece with zero do-overs. There is no middle ground between those two approaches.

yeah, there was a reason I waited on quickfort. I have all this saved now so I can just beep boop new fort if I want.

I'm savescumming relentlessly though because I want to test designs and make sure it's all "working" and so forth. So far there haven't been many problems though, just some goblins easily dealt with, an ettin or three that got dispatched by cage traps, and one were-raccoon that my swordsdwarves chopped to bits without taking a scratch.

The last big thing I need to really figure out is doing another more specialized storage level below the plumbing level, connected to the workshops with lots of little stairs, and minecarts to optimize production lines. That's gonna take real work to find a design that's efficient and also aesthetic though.

I also plan to have one magma chamber trap on the west bridge entrance, a water drowning trap on the east bridge entrance, and a repeating spike and drop trap on the southern entrance, but those will take a while to set up also.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 28, 2023

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That's beautiful. Also, ty for letting me know quickfort is available. I swear the Steam version had an in-built blueprint system but I haven't been able to figure it out for the life of me.

The thought also never occurred to me to have a fully excavated mountainhome inside of a mountain. I've always kept levels completely distinct and separate with flooring between them. I'm definitely utilizing your idea for my next fort.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gorgeous fort. I really admire the grand atrium design, I've wanted to do things like that before but I always end up digging out functional areas before I can make them beautiful and then I can't bring myself to totally re-work everything. I'll start forts imagining setting up bare-bones quarters on the surface and really focusing on architecture but haven't been able to do it yet.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ve been doing 3x3 staircases with 25 blocks between sets going n/s/e/w to create really easily planned workshops, storage areas, and 3x3 apartment complexes with 3 wide thoroughfares and 2 wide apartment halls

It suits my needs if it isn’t a bit dull compared to something like that baller fort upthread

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kenning posted:

Gorgeous fort. I really admire the grand atrium design, I've wanted to do things like that before but I always end up digging out functional areas before I can make them beautiful and then I can't bring myself to totally re-work everything. I'll start forts imagining setting up bare-bones quarters on the surface and really focusing on architecture but haven't been able to do it yet.

yeah, the trick is to plan it all out from the start, which is difficult because you might spend a week planning your fort then BOOP dragon shows up on Day 3 and you're boned. quickfort lets you save the designs which makes it possible -- about two thirds of what you see there is stuff I first plotted out for forts back in like 2010, with the remaining third being tweaks and "proofreading" and a few new layouts (I didn't need a Temple level back then).

The nice thing about this specific setup is that you can start by digging out just chunks of the "workshop level" for general purpose rooms, and then as you expand you repurpose. There is definitely a hurdle in the first few years where things happen before you've dug out the appropriate areas ("oh poo poo! I need tombs!") but usually there's enough of a buffer that your dwarves don't get too mad at you before things are set up properly and they all have nice bedrooms and so forth.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
That's all pretty cool. I've struggled with this game because of analysis paralysis. Spent a week planning workshop and stockpile designs before really understanding the game in general. I played ONI and a big part of it was future proofing bases and this game is a whole different beast in a good way.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

yeah, the trick is to plan it all out from the start, which is difficult because you might spend a week planning your fort then BOOP dragon shows up on Day 3 and you're boned.

My solution is always to have an "embark camp", which basically is just enough to cover the needs of the initial 7 underground, and a quantum stockpile to hold the initial supplies. It's specifically not intended to be a long-term solution, and usually gets demolished to make room for a trade depot/tavern once I have dug out the proper workshop/sleeping/dining/etc areas.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Similarly to the screenshot question, is there a way to get a much wider area displayed at once by stonesense? I’d like, say, the entire map.

in your dwarf fortress directory there should be a folder called stonesense (or ssense?), open that up then find init.txt and you can change the number of X/Y/Z tiles shown at once in there:

These two options set how large the cube loaded from Dwarf Fortress is.
Each entry expects the number of tiles to load.
[SEGMENTSIZE_XY:256]
[SEGMENTSIZE_Z:20]

As far as I know DFHack is weird and sets all associated files to Read Only while it's running so you'll need to do it while the game is closed.

tak posted:

the lava isn't used up, you need 4/7 lava and it will work forever

FWIW I'm not sure if this is true with Magma but messing around with DFHack's Liquids GUI recently I realized that water only needs to be 1/7 to stop evaporating, it just needs to cover every available tile. If you have a room and every single tile of it has 1/7 water, it doesn't evaporate. It only evaporates if at least one of the tiles is without water.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 28, 2023

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Don't think that's true. I'm pretty sure I've seen pools of 1/7 with a spattering of 2/7 spots evaporate a number of times.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I started a massive war with the goblins because they only seemed to be messing with elves and humans and I wanted in on the action. Anyways they immediately took over a separate formerly dwarf fortress with a pop of ~1000 goblins that I eventually took over after many many deaths (on their end).

Anyways it’s pinkish on the map but otherwise it shows as part of my civ and I believe the baron lives in my fortress as well (five days south). I can send people to it and everything but it’s not economically linked. Anyone know why? Sorry for the poo poo image. It’s not orange color like people you are at war with… does this mean not everyone knows I reclaimed it?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

resistentialism posted:

Don't think that's true. I'm pretty sure I've seen pools of 1/7 with a spattering of 2/7 spots evaporate a number of times.

Whoops you're right, I just tested again - it needs exactly one tile above 1/7

e: Well this one evaporated eventually too, but I had a large channeled space that was not evaporating 1/7 water at all until recently. The only thing that changed that I can think of is that I broke into the cavern layer - so it might not start evaporating until fungus/moss can grow? Or maybe dfhack just adds water in a weird way

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 28, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
How many squads do yall eventually drum up?
I'm nearing 200 pop but only 2 squads and working on full iron uniforms for them.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm nearing 200 pop but only 2 squads and working on full iron uniforms for them.

Fortress guard squad of 10 and a normal military squad of 10.

Between that and basic weapon traps it's incredibly unlikely you will need more.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sorry should have mentioned each squad is a full 10 dwarves and I have them constantly training

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

deep dish peat moss posted:

Whoops you're right, I just tested again - it needs exactly one tile above 1/7

e: Well this one evaporated eventually too, but I had a large channeled space that was not evaporating 1/7 water at all until recently. The only thing that changed that I can think of is that I broke into the cavern layer - so it might not start evaporating until fungus/moss can grow? Or maybe dfhack just adds water in a weird way

If you have a single tile at 2 depth it will rotate around and "Refresh" the one-depth tiles and keep them from evaporating. If the area is small enough it can keep a whole room wet, if the area is too large eventually a tile will dry out, then the 2 will drop down, then everything eventually dries.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

MacheteZombie posted:

Sorry should have mentioned each squad is a full 10 dwarves and I have them constantly training

You are probably good for 99% of most baddies coming to attack you instances. Remember that your military dwarves might get hit by sun sickness if you send them out after being cooped inside a lot which can severely hinder them in combat.

If you have an entrace tunnel/hall maybe have that be your go to combat place. Being indoors will prevent sun sickness and can also help prevent your guys being surronded and overran.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MacheteZombie posted:

I think the best strategy overall is a few squads of constantly training dwarves, and then literally everyone else getting at least some part time training and a uniform so that everyone's wearing armor and has enough skill to dodge or block the occasional random attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I always end up with far more mussel/turtle shells than I could ever possibly craft. So for this fort I installed a mod that lets me make furniture and trade goods out of large gemstones, and I have been carving all of the shells into large shell gems, then turning that into furniture. I have six Craftsdwarf stations cutting shell gems and turning them into things 24/7 and I still can't keep up with the number of shells I'm getting unless I either disable fishing or heavily restrict who can fish.

My beds are made of shell. My buckets, barrels, bins, chests, tables, doors, coffins, slabs, goblets, cabinets, weapon racks, armor stands, and chairs are all made of shell. My dwarven children play with shell-gem toys. My baron is decked-out in shell-gem jewelry and carries a shell-gem scepter.

So the obvious next step is using the Additional Races Naga mod that adds a type of shell-metal that can make anvils and weapons and armor. And then finding a source of enough of that metal to build all of my floors and walls out of it too. I am going to live inside a fortress that is 100% shell.