Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Xaris posted:

lmao this seems good. the sierra nevadas have lost 30% of their trees in a decade

https://medium.com/politically-speaking/the-trees-are-dropping-like-flies-a75e6f88ceae

This is making more coal for us to use in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

which car battery is the most eco-friendly for me to dispose of into the sea

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Relevant Tangent posted:

move to north idaho and you have mountains on either side plus the palouse has plenty of water
also fart asparagus aka camas
If they're moving to northern idaho, I sure hope they're both white and hetero!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

which car battery is the most eco-friendly for me to dispose of into the sea

you can set them any of them on fire and/or throw them into the ocean. both/either will destroy any battery and make it disappear

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

cat botherer posted:

there's moscow, if you are comfortable having to fight an actual cult (the new st. andrews people) occasionally
you could always live in Pullman, that's effectively north idaho

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

cat botherer posted:

we're light brown and gay

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Unless posted:

dude, this show is like eight episodes of children of men

awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHCeqvQBNIM

auto-translate to english seems good enough so far in ep1

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my state (MN) house introduced a bill to require climate justice be taught in all public schools lol

this woman is speaking in favor of it but is just in total denial. "how we can still live in an age of abundance"

then the poor kids talk about how climate change makes them sad and how they want to learn how to do something about it

welp

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

move to north idaho and you have mountains on either side plus the palouse has plenty of water

how's the bark beetle situation in the forests of north idaho? should be okay as long as--

quote:

Bark beetles are another threat. They attack weakened trees by boring through the bark to eat the cambium layer. Depending on the species of beetles, they will attack trees that are weakened by overcrowding, drought, root diseases, defoliation and weather damage. Perhaps the most serious pest problem facing Idaho forests is the Mountain Pine Bark Beetle.

hmm

edit: normally spruce and other trees attractive to bark beetles are able to keep them under control, as long as the trees have sufficient water intake to keep their immune defences working, and as long as there are sufficiently cold winters to kill off a large chunk of the beetle population

Gravid Topiary has issued a correction as of 03:19 on Feb 27, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Oglethorpe posted:

is this on their channel? I don't see it

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

this is a bit more depressing than i thought :rubby:

actionjackson posted:

is this on their channel? I don't see it

French VPN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLa-HhBpgc4

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

fine job smoobles

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lmao i'm on the rich person episode

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Oglethorpe posted:

lmao i'm on the rich person episode

Is there a version with English subtitles? pls share

i've looked for one for years

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Hubbert posted:

french vpn

turn on subtitles

go to settings and auto-translate

french to english is pretty good. a little off in some places but understandable in mistranslation

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
or australian VPN (and you need to sign up for an account), but it's got official english subs:

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/the-collapse

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

or australian VPN (and you need to sign up for an account), but it's got official english subs:

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/the-collapse

it probably hasn't gotten pirated because i think its an indie production? Good cinema, but nothing hollywood would ever produce

or india

or saudi arabia or israel or any nation of the oil empire

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Hubbert posted:

fine job smoobles

this is why I have no friends

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

that was a depressing series

gently caress you episode 8

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Hubbert posted:

If you have filez there are English subs on opensubtitles which are fine

It's compelling because every episode is a one take, and also because lol get rekt civilisation

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Xaris posted:

lmao this seems good. the sierra nevadas have lost 30% of their trees in a decade

https://medium.com/politically-speaking/the-trees-are-dropping-like-flies-a75e6f88ceae

I like how the first graph of the article asks "is this the canary in the coal mine?" As if we are not waist deep in canaries. As if the Money Number Religion that guides our whole human enterprise isn't built on a substrate of canary corpses

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think until the canary is extinct we are okay

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

the palouse is getting rapidly drawn down just like every other aquifer west of the missouri, even though it's dryland ag, pullman/moscow/colfax and the other smaller towns still slurp it up faster than it can replenish

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Hubbert posted:

English subs are hardcoded in the :filez: version, in English it’s named “The Collapse”

pm me for a magnet: link

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1630253930197180418

standing up to big wind.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
The wind farms are being built on Indigenous land and the worry is they will interfere with reindeer herds which are important to them.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
CBC's The Current interviewing the authors of How Big Things Get Done: The Surprising Factors That Determine the Fate of Every Project, from Home Renovations to Space Exploration and Everything In Between. Unfortunately they draw a lot of failure examples from Canada. Apparently we gently caress up a lot on megaprojects, especially the Olympic-grade vanity ones. Their final remarks in the interview were about climate change and how we need to build out rapidly on a scale unknown in human experience. It is essential we plan carefully and get it right the first time. Brave thoughts, I think their book documents why this isn't going to happen. :rubby:

First interview in this episode was about Albertans who were actually concerned about global warming pinning their economic hopes on hydrogen and why this might not be good for the environment. I didn't hear the actual interview but I assume it might have had something to do with producing hydrogen from natural gas? Or maybe they're planning to produce it through electrolysis using coal-generated electricity?

And now they're discussing how the handful of Spotted Owls left in southern BC are being threatened because someone needs to make their logging Number go up. Love that Spuzzum is getting mentioned. It's a small settlement at the bottom of the Fraser Canyon. Useful landmark as everything east of Spuzzum is beyond Hope. (<- BC geography/Canadian Regionalism/Dad joke.)

Lots of talk, but still no one except US Navy SEALs blowing up pipelines. Part of the prepper community just noticed last week that they were the most likely suspects for Nordstream and are :circlefap: about it as this is an obvious declaration of war and Jesus will be surfing his celestial chariot in on the mushroom clouds any minute now. Nothing will chum the Messiah in like a good ol' nuclear clambake. These death cultists are weird.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

The wind farms are being built on Indigenous land and the worry is they will interfere with reindeer herds which are important to them.

Good luck finding land that won't gently caress poo poo up somewhere.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
So go eminent domain land white people are relying on.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There's no such thing as a free wind turbine

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Doomers against big wind but pro beans? 🤔

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Crazypoops posted:

Doomers against big wind but pro beans? 🤔

Natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel, after all.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

WIND TURBINES ON GOLF COURSES

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Adenoid Dan posted:

So go eminent domain land white people are relying on.

Only works if they're poor

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

the reindeer must be protected at all costs because i, personally, love them

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

a strange fowl posted:

the reindeer must be protected at all costs because I, personally love them a population of people rely on them for sustenance.

More like this

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Adenoid Dan posted:

How will biosphere collapse affect reindeer herds?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's too bad the only land we can use for renewable energy is traditional Sami land that they still live on.

And not, you know, golf courses and poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am pleased to learn the Martha's vineyard assholes fighting off shore turbines apparently lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

WIND TURBINES ON GOLF COURSES

But then where would they play? Have to be mindful of their customs too.