Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nah soul nomad isnt really that kind of game. Theres a few secret bonus bosses that lead to joke endings but theyre all triggered by winning battles youre meant to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CtTmZBteKE

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I really need to play all those one-off NIS SRPGs once I'm done with the Disgaeas. I actually even picked up the original PS2 strategy guide for Phantom Kingdom because I found it cheap in a used book store and old Japanese phone book style strategy guides are always neat.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I got a guide for disgaea 2 back in the day that was like 400 pages or smth and that’s how I knew I needed to play that game

e: 640 pages!?!

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 26, 2023

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've been playing some pokemon super gold and the dev for that made a 300 page strategy guide styled after the old nintendo power ones, it's really neat

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still very early in the game because I went after those bad ends (Really wish they had a press Start to skip cutscenes option instead of a fast forward or skip everything option) and I'm not quite sure of the general battle flow yet. Should I use combo attacks whenever they come up? I made Danette leader of her own squad because I didn't quite understand how it worked and assumed you needed a main character to lead them. Do the combo attacks come from putting multiple of the same class in the same row or is it just having them in general?

Last story mission I had was getting my rear end handed to me by Dio? And then Danette died in the rematch and I only won because I used Gig's special attack on him. Is using those abilities something to worry about affecting the ending? I'm kinda having a lot of trouble navigating the set up menu and finding decor options.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's no bad end to the main route of soul nomad so there's nothing to worry about there

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i mainly remember feeling a weird amount of gay tension with gig when i played but i might just be attuned to that

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Last story mission I had was getting my rear end handed to me by Dio? And then Danette died in the rematch and I only won because I used Gig's special attack on him. Is using those abilities something to worry about affecting the ending? I'm kinda having a lot of trouble navigating the set up menu and finding decor options.

You don't have to worry about using Gig stuff affecting the ending you get. Bad ends only happen at certain very loudly telegraphed times, and there isn't any kind of secret score tally in the background that'll slap you with a bad ending if you use mechanics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i mainly remember feeling a weird amount of gay tension with gig when i played but i might just be attuned to that
In a rare case among RPGs with gender options, Female Revya is the canon option, what basically all official material used, what is used in later DLC, etc. So odds are the game was also written with female Revya in mind.

Though the Juno ending is very lesbian in that case, so.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm still very early in the game because I went after those bad ends (Really wish they had a press Start to skip cutscenes option instead of a fast forward or skip everything option) and I'm not quite sure of the general battle flow yet. Should I use combo attacks whenever they come up? I made Danette leader of her own squad because I didn't quite understand how it worked and assumed you needed a main character to lead them. Do the combo attacks come from putting multiple of the same class in the same row or is it just having them in general?

The combo attacks come from having multiple of the same class in the squad, the row isn't important. You don't need to have a main character leading them but it's usually a good idea since main characters have unique tactical skills. You're supposed to use Gig's special attack, anything that leads to bad ends is marked with skull icons and poo poo. You can gladly use gig edicts to bully random towns people with no consequence outside of Heroman occasionally beating you up. This can be used to get units of certain classes before you're meant to unlock them, via the forcible recruitment edicts. Combo attacks are usually best used to take out bosses or strong enemies.

What part of navigating the menu are you having trouble with?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alard posted:

You don't have to worry about using Gig stuff affecting the ending you get. Bad ends only happen at certain very loudly telegraphed times, and there isn't any kind of secret score tally in the background that'll slap you with a bad ending if you use mechanics.

Okey doke. As far as battle flow, I'm not sure if making a bunch of units and summoning them in battle is the way to go or not. I've got three now, so I have them all out at once so I'm not limited to just Revya against 7 people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You should have as many squads as the game lets you and summon them all. There's no reason not to. There's lategame decor that rewards you for putting Revya in a room solo, but that's just putting them in a room solo, not refusing to summon other squads.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
how is ni no kuni 2? i (think i) 100%'d the first (at least got close) but how does the sequel stack up?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I want a Phantom Brave sequel so bad.

Makai Kingdom too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

thehoodie posted:

how is ni no kuni 2? i (think i) 100%'d the first (at least got close) but how does the sequel stack up?
It's decent, it's been 4ish years since I played but what I remember:

The story is extremely simple, but the premise is very comical (in a good way) at the start. If you get put off by people acting real stupid in your JRPGs then beware lol. No where near as charming as the first game sadly.

There's a city builder minigame that either pisses people off cause it reminds them of mobile games or it's entertaining if you like numbers going up and collecting people around the world. The people who hated it thought they could just ignore it but the plot requires it IIRC.

Same music/graphics style as NNK1.

The combat is very different from the first game, it's all action now. At launch, NNK2 had a real problem with difficulty where everything was way too easy and you just pushed a few buttons and everything died.
There's patches now to fix that and it's surprisingly pretty fun. It's no where near Tales level of action, but it's not a one button affair either.

I was a real sucker for Ni No Kuni 1, and I enjoyed the second one for the most part once they patched in difficulties. It was a real drag before that patch.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 27, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played it at launch and 'the enemies are hareder' does not seem like something that would improve it much.

But then I utterly loathed NnK1 and barely tolerated the sequel enough to finish it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

The combo attacks come from having multiple of the same class in the squad, the row isn't important. You don't need to have a main character leading them but it's usually a good idea since main characters have unique tactical skills. You're supposed to use Gig's special attack, anything that leads to bad ends is marked with skull icons and poo poo. You can gladly use gig edicts to bully random towns people with no consequence outside of Heroman occasionally beating you up. This can be used to get units of certain classes before you're meant to unlock them, via the forcible recruitment edicts. Combo attacks are usually best used to take out bosses or strong enemies.

What part of navigating the menu are you having trouble with?

Just growing pains of picking up a game on the Switch after so long. I was having the hardest time finding where the Decor options were for about 3 hours.

I'm gonna guess at some point there'll be random encounters on the map that I can choose to go after? So far, I'm either way too reckless charging in or I should be setting myself up better with decor options before battle. Or maybe I should put Danette and Revya back in a squad together. I just got Vitali and Levin and I'd like to have more special attacks and also combo attacks in general but I don't know how I should be putting teams together to get any.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's not random encounters on the map. Rather, you can grind by doing inspections of decor - basically the item world from Disgaea.

And like I said, combo attacks are extremely simple in this game.

1) Revya + any story character
2) Multiples of the same class - how many you need varies by class, but like I said, usually 3 for the weaker one and 5 for the stronger one.
3) The generic combos class-type combos are just '1 of 1 type, 2 of another.' The three types are magic, melee, and ranged. So 1 archer and two pyremages has a combo, 1 pyremage and 2 soldiers has a combo, etc.
4) a handful of non revya combos - at this point in the game, Levin has combos with both Danette and Vitali.

Some class combos work differently from normal. For instance, if you put two Knights in the same room, they'll just automatically raise the party's defense every battle rather than unlocking a combo attack.

This early in the game, I'd recommend Revya leading a squad, Danette leading a squad, and Levin leading a squad with Vitali in it. What their exact setups should be can depend on what rooms you pull.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I liked Ni no Kuni 2 well enough but I hadn't played the first one to compare

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

There's not random encounters on the map. Rather, you can grind by doing inspections of decor - basically the item world from Disgaea.

And like I said, combo attacks are extremely simple in this game.

1) Revya + any story character
2) Multiples of the same class - how many you need varies by class, but like I said, usually 3 for the weaker one and 5 for the stronger one.
3) The generic combos class-type combos are just '1 of 1 type, 2 of another.' The three types are magic, melee, and ranged. So 1 archer and two pyremages has a combo, 1 pyremage and 2 soldiers has a combo, etc.
4) a handful of non revya combos - at this point in the game, Levin has combos with both Danette and Vitali.

Some class combos work differently from normal. For instance, if you put two Knights in the same room, they'll just automatically raise the party's defense every battle rather than unlocking a combo attack.

This early in the game, I'd recommend Revya leading a squad, Danette leading a squad, and Levin leading a squad with Vitali in it. What their exact setups should be can depend on what rooms you pull.

Oh so that's what inspections are for! Cool, thanks! I've gotta do a little bit of juggling now but at least I know how to organize people. When I get the option, I generally like melee characters like brawlers or monk types so I like the Bareknuckles but I wasn't sure how to get a combo from them. I'll just have to wait till I get another room to open up to put together a generic team.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heres a quick guide to the units you have that early on

Revya: revya is as you might expect completely busted. last act should be cast at the start of every map with basically no exceptions, and their middle/back ranged attacks are also okay, though they should really be upfront for how hard their sword slash hits (and for how tanky they are)

Danette: shes pretty good. she hits about as hard as revya but she lacks their beefiness. should generally be kept in the middle row past the early game but this early on shes fine facetanking stuff.

Levin hes just a bareknuckle that hits like a truck, and can actually take a hit. definitely want him to be in the front of his unit.

Vitali: he's a story character but as a cleric you really dont want him leading a squad. id recommend just plugging him in as Levin's designated healer.

generics

Swordsman: They sword things, man. Their rock throw Exists but isn't really worth bothering with, they should really be up front. they're mostly meat more than they're offensive juggernauts. the 3 swordsmen combo attack hits the entire front row decently hard, but usually necessitates having one chucking rocks.

Soldier: cheap, and they're so garbo that it's fine to have them chucking molotovs from the mid row since its not like they do damage. the 5 soldiers combo attack hits the entire enemy squad but early in the game you aren't gonna have 5 slots for them and when you do start having the slots the damage it does is gonna be terrible. space fillers if you're insanely tight on money. their only real other boon is that they give the leader a decent amount of stats, but that's only really worthwhile on revya.

Pyremage: Should be kept in the back row for their row attack, their single target attack they get in the mid row is usually overkill. Very good early game, hit hard. Their combo attacks are good but require 4/8 mages and they're usually outclassed by the time you get the space for that, but having them around usually opens up the /magic combo attacks. Should be your first consideration for empty backrow slots.

Cleric: Healers. You usually only need one in the back row for their AOE heal, single target heal just targets the lowest HP unit and is, again, pretty overkill. Two in the backrow is an option. Having two clerics makes them automatically buff your squad's RES in lieu of an actual combo attack. This can occasionally be useful for mage-heavy maps but generally is pretty whatever.

Phynx: pretty mediocre fighters but in the back row instead of attacking they buff the entire party's attack. The double phynx combo attack is just a leader assassination but usually isn't enough to kill. One in the back of a physical damage room is pretty good, usually not worth bothering with as fighters. The buff stacks if you have multiple Phynxes but I believe it has diminishing returns as you plug more in, so one's fine.

Bandit: Pretty whatever but they have a niche as one of the better generics to lead a squad with - they have an extremely damaging leader targeted nuke as their leader attack, and a Tactic that makes enemies not target them. They also have even matchups to basically every class you're gonna see in the early game as enemy squad leaders. Not worth ditching a story character for and later on fliers are usually better as generic squad leaders but there's a few maps where you have a spare squad. The bandit combo attacks both target the back row, which isn't usually that great a target.

Bareknuckle: ive never been that hot on bareknuckles, they hit slightly harder than swordsman but are a lot more fragile. That said, the 2 bareknuckle combo attack hits the entire middle line and Levin exists, so it's usually worth plugging a genero Bareknuckle into his squad to get access to it. Since they hit a bit harder, their middle row ranged attack isnt that bad, compared to Swordsman.

Archer: physical equivalent to pyremages, you usually want them in the middle row since that's where their row attack is. Their attack if you put them in the front row actually hits pretty hard but they're too fragile to be up there. Generally only useful in pure physical squads with a backrow Phynx.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
NNK1 could've been fun if a) the AI wasn't absolutely braindead and incompetent in every way that mattered and b) catching monsters wasn't simply up to some awful die roll at the end of combat.

I also remember something sucked about monster evolutions. I think when you evolved one, it went back to level 1 and there was no level scaling in the game so it took grinding to get it back up to par? Something like that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does octopath 2 improve on the first one? I remember my party only really had individual storyline and was hoping for a bit more integration.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Does octopath 2 improve on the first one? I remember my party only really had individual storyline and was hoping for a bit more integration.

Sort of. There are more scenes between characters, and they're easily seen at any inn. But the plots of each story are still self contained.

That said, I hear there are alternate chapters for characters, though I don't think it's branching so much as it is an alternate route to the ultimate sane ending.

The writing, Polish, and plot are leagues better in the second game though. I'd give it a solid recommend if like me you thought the first game just barely missed the mark. It's almost exactly the sequel I'd have wanted.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kingtheninja posted:

Yes it improves on the first game. However, everyone's storyline being tied together is unlikely to ever happen since at its core the idea is "8 people with their own journeys who can join to work together."

If you enjoyed the first this is that and more. If you want a game where character A's chapter and story is going to change based on who's in your party I doubt this series will ever do that (it'd be a crazy amount of work) and you'll have the vignettes that are optional (and you can watch them at the tavern later so they aren't permanently missable).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

anders you absolute tremendous dumbfuck

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Octopath 2 is Octopath 1 with better art and music, no missable trophy crap, more QoL features, better chapter variety, and no obnoxious postgame boss.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 27, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This sounds epic....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are we sure it doesn't have an obnoxious post game boss, it's only been out a couple of days.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Been playing more Wild Arms 1, got the ship, had a miserable time in some Tri-tower, next goal is some volcano trap. I thought I'd be over the game by now but it's what I've been playing instead of Ishin, I'm hooked. Music still is great, I am getting tired of the guitar riff that plays at the start of combat after 15 hours lol. Doing good on magic, have all the black spells made and most of the white, no advanced stuff yet.
I thought I messed up bad when I fought an optional boss named Chaos. With a name like that, I figured it was a post-game thing but it wasn't a hassle. I laughed when i got 3 minutes to escape the collapsing dungeon and I just cast Escape and was at the exit with 2:56 to spare. Glad I went back and checked where the save spot was cause that wall looked it could be blown up.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Octo 1 post game boss ruled.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

Octo 1 post game boss ruled.

Getting to the point of fighting that post-game boss tho...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Are we sure it doesn't have an obnoxious post game boss, it's only been out a couple of days.

gamers here have the uncanny ability to finish anything opening weekend, i trust them

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
And well before opening weekend when it comes to switch games sometimes lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

anders you absolute tremendous dumbfuck

Ah I know where you are.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Hector Delgado posted:

Been playing more Wild Arms 1, got the ship, had a miserable time in some Tri-tower, next goal is some volcano trap. I thought I'd be over the game by now but it's what I've been playing instead of Ishin, I'm hooked. Music still is great, I am getting tired of the guitar riff that plays at the start of combat after 15 hours lol. Doing good on magic, have all the black spells made and most of the white, no advanced stuff yet.
I thought I messed up bad when I fought an optional boss named Chaos. With a name like that, I figured it was a post-game thing but it wasn't a hassle. I laughed when i got 3 minutes to escape the collapsing dungeon and I just cast Escape and was at the exit with 2:56 to spare. Glad I went back and checked where the save spot was cause that wall looked it could be blown up.

Wild Arms 1 owns.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Octopath Traveler 2 owns

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Playing Chrono Cross remaster finally.

Despite having beaten this game like 20 times I never got Poshul in home prior to this playthrough and I could not stop laughing when they get kicked off a cliff early on to remove them from a cutscene.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Barudak posted:

Despite having beaten this game like 20 times I never got Poshul in home prior to this playthrough and I could not stop laughing when they get kicked off a cliff early on to remove them from a cutscene.
Yeah, that's great. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

This is on my list of games to play in the near future now that Square has finally fixed the issues with the remaster. I've never played Chrono Cross before, but Chrono Trigger is my favorite video game of all time.