Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Azhais posted:

Doesn't Paradox own the World of Darkness stuff these days?

yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Azhais posted:

Doesn't Paradox own the World of Darkness stuff these days?

They do and the connection you’re drawing is the most common guess as to what HBS has been up to.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Q_res posted:

Dr. Murad is 100% a ComStar plant and nobody will ever convince me otherwise. That's why I think the actual fate of your Mercenary Company may end up being joining the ComGuard.

You know honestly if PGI or someone does another Clan Invasion era game, having the viewpoint faction be the newly activated comguards on Tukayyid would be way fresher than Yet Another Mercs game

Not that I hate mercs stuff, its the primary way people remember Mechwarrior for a reason, but something a bit more like MW3's campaign would be cool

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 27, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
ComGuards are a tough sell because they're almost as weird as the Clans.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Whoooooo’s excited to play dead eyed theocratic zealots? Yaaaaaaaay

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
They should do a FE Three Houses thing set in the New Avalon academy with anime portraits and Stackpole tea ceremonies on the eve of the FedCom civil war. Package MW2-4 as simulator missions that open new dialogue trees and cosmetics for completion. Bam, goty. I can see the glowing Polygon review in my mind's eye.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hanse Davion is a space loli for some reason

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think there were rumours that HBS got given a WoD rpg project to fix back in the bloodletting when White Wolf was shuttered and Vampire 2 fell into the abyss.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

ComGuards are a tough sell because they're almost as weird as the Clans.

that's why it could own imo

it could also be very bad but there's a lot of fun writing potential there. I mean poo poo, you've already got the internal schism with the future wobbies you could play up too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
lol if it's a WOD game then get ready for it to never come out, probably sink the studio

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
There were ComStar acolytes who humored Focht and Victor and there were ComStar acolytes who didn't; but at the end of the day they were all Blakists.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah I'd play their weirdness up even beyond what the source materials gives us. Go for an over the top Outer Worlds/Mitchel and webb Vecton skit vibe, by Blake's kindly claw.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

weird rear end IT priests spending half their briefings chanting Bad Latin going off to fight weird rear end demi-klingon techno barbarians, occasionally you meet a normal human being who is clearly completely out of their element in all this

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Marx Headroom posted:

They should do a FE Three Houses thing set in the New Avalon academy with anime portraits and Stackpole tea ceremonies on the eve of the FedCom civil war. Package MW2-4 as simulator missions that open new dialogue trees and cosmetics for completion. Bam, goty. I can see the glowing Polygon review in my mind's eye.

I will buy this, but only if you make all the clans actual furries.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I can’t tell if i like 3062 yet at all lol

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Personally after playing both of them I really tend to like BEX more. I just always end up missing the little touches BEX adds to game immersion wise. Having to pay your drop bills, having to keep a big roster of pilots due to the fatigue system. Seeing all the major house and merc units moving around and each faction having their own unit tables so they feel more distinct from each other just a bit more. Having to hunt down Comstar/Blakists as your only reliable way to get the real fancy stuff (and later the Clans.) Hell, the Blakists and Clanners just feel like another generic opponent in BTA while in Extended you really get that "oh poo poo" feeling when they show up, and honestly, while it is nice, I could do without all the playable vehicles/BA. It's not bad though, since you can easily switch between them since BEX does technically "end" timeline wise where Advanced starts so they're technically not overriding each other but It does make me wish there was a sort of combination of BTAs gameplay tweaks to BEX's more focused scope of things.

Warad fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 28, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
BTA has drop bills and you need a fairly deep roster because by the time you finish the Argo you're dropping 16 units; you need some slack pilots/units if someone eats a headshot or if you're on a city map and you can't bring your artillery. They also very recently added mercenary subfactions that work for each faction and can show up and replace generic enemies from that faction randomly as a more challenging variant of the faction.

Comstar and the Clans are an enormous leg up in difficulty from normal factions - Comstar/WoB because they drop in units of 6 instead of 4(so you'll be fighting 50% more dudes on every mission involving them) and since they use star league goodies they tend to never have total junk on the field, and the clans because of clantech, dropping in units of 5, and being the only faction to use BA(which is horrifically, terrifyingly dangerous if you ever let it get anywhere near you).

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

He's not wrong that Bex does more from the fluffy immersion perspective though - which isn't a dig at BTA since by the FCCW most everyone was running a homogenous mix of helm tech and stolen clan bullshit, but you do definitely notice more differences traveling around the inner sphere in BEX

I will post an actual dig at BTA and say the sanctuary worlds guys are rear end to fight

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psycho Landlord posted:

He's not wrong that Bex does more from the fluffy immersion perspective though - which isn't a dig at BTA since by the FCCW most everyone was running a homogenous mix of helm tech and stolen clan bullshit, but you do definitely notice more differences traveling around the inner sphere in BEX

I will post an actual dig at BTA and say the sanctuary worlds guys are rear end to fight

I never got to them before switching back just to dial things back a bit, what's their stuff do even? Just Clan++ basically?

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Kanos posted:

BTA has drop bills and you need a fairly deep roster because by the time you finish the Argo you're dropping 16 units; you need some slack pilots/units if someone eats a headshot or if you're on a city map and you can't bring your artillery. They also very recently added mercenary subfactions that work for each faction and can show up and replace generic enemies from that faction randomly as a more challenging variant of the faction.

Comstar and the Clans are an enormous leg up in difficulty from normal factions - Comstar/WoB because they drop in units of 6 instead of 4(so you'll be fighting 50% more dudes on every mission involving them) and since they use star league goodies they tend to never have total junk on the field, and the clans because of clantech, dropping in units of 5, and being the only faction to use BA(which is horrifically, terrifyingly dangerous if you ever let it get anywhere near you).

I've noticed ammo costs sure but straight up tonnage costs for your lance/miscellaneous vehicles I have not, unless that's an option I've missed somewhere, and yeah I get that no fatigue system (and probably drop costs as well) is a compromise for the stupidly large amount of units you can drop now but ehh, an option for it would still be nice though for those who'd want (to deal with) it.

As for the Comstar/Clan Difficulty, I guess a lot of things just seem a whole lot easier and blend together when you can roll up a pair of SRM carriers or Arrow IV throwers and just delete things. :v:

Warad fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 28, 2023

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I never got to them before switching back just to dial things back a bit, what's their stuff do even? Just Clan++ basically?

Not at all. Their gimmick is going through armor :v:

They have a couple different weird weapons but the ones that'll really gently caress you over are the SRM equivalents that do direct structure damage and crit chance

E: They also have their own unique C3 system that isn't as good as base C3 or C3i but it takes up their cockpit slot and costs no tonnage and *everyone* has it, so they also don't really have an easy first target to pick on

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 28, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bing Chat as applied to Battletech mods:

summary posted:

BEX (Battletech Extended) is a mod that adds more content to the vanilla game, such as new mechs, weapons, factions and missions. It is relatively stable and faithful to the original game mechanics.

BTA (Battletech Advanced) is a mod that overhauls many aspects of the game, such as mech customization, combat difficulty, AI behavior and equipment variety. It also adds new features like quirks, pilot fatigue and ammo explosions.

RogueTech is a mod that transforms Battletech into a roguelike game with extreme difficulty, complexity and realism. It introduces hundreds of new mechs, weapons, equipment and factions from different eras of Battletech lore. It also changes many core mechanics like heat management, initiative system and mech repair.

pros and cons posted:

BEX:

Positives: More content and variety without changing the core gameplay. Stable and fast performance. Compatible with other mods.

Negatives: Less challenging and customizable than other mods. May feel too similar to vanilla for some players.

BTA:

Positives: More depth and complexity in mech customization and combat. New features like quirks, fatigue and ammo explosions. More balanced difficulty curve.

Negatives: More bugs and crashes than BEX. May overwhelm some players with too many options and mechanics.

RogueTech:

Positives: More realism and immersion in Battletech universe. Huge amount of mechs, weapons, equipment and factions from different eras. More strategic choices and consequences.

Negatives: Extremely hard and unforgiving gameplay. Long loading times and performance issues. May frustrate some players with too much RNG and micromanagement.

I dunno seems fair?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If roguetech wasn't made by an insane person and bloated, I think I would like it more

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Well the bloated bit is part of the attraction for me, but I can see why some might hate it.

e: Though I'm not sure if I agree with the "roguelike" part of the description. It's roguelite at best. Not that making it more like a traditional roguelike would be an improvement.

On that note there are two actual mech roguelikes, GearHead 1 and 2, and they are very good if you like roguelikes and mech games. They have both on-foot and mech gameplay; they're also making a new one (GearHead Caramel) which is in EA on Steam.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 28, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

RBA Starblade posted:

Eh, more like alternate tech tree branch. I salvaged a 50-tonner that basically is a crit machine with a giant wing, but it's very hit or miss otherwise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psycho Landlord posted:

They have a couple different weird weapons but the ones that'll really gently caress you over are the SRM equivalents that do direct structure damage and crit chance

E: They also have their own unique C3 system that isn't as good as base C3 or C3i but it takes up their cockpit slot and costs no tonnage and *everyone* has it, so they also don't really have an easy first target to pick on

Lol rip srm boats

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sanctuary enemies are cool because they're a unique challenge that shakes up the standard builds/approaches. A lot of standard optimal choices are less optimal against them - common build choices like leg ammo bins will gently caress you over, XL engines become a serious weak point instead of a minor one, and they represent a horrifying threat to battle armor and tanks.

IMO they're not as mean as endgame comstar/wob/clan opfor because they lack the insane deployment numbers, but they're definitely a big step up from normal IS opfor.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Chiming in to say that I never played the base game and have only ever played rogue tech. I love the terror of a seeing an unidentified mech that has an absolutely bonkers variant you should be afraid of. Seeing a Clint is never a dangerous thing, seeing an Eastwood is a surefire way to lose a member of your lance. I also love the innumerable options for customization on your mechs. Some of the flash points are pretty good too.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Chiming in to say that I never played the base game and have only ever played rogue tech. I love the terror of a seeing an unidentified mech that has an absolutely bonkers variant you should be afraid of. Seeing a Clint is never a dangerous thing, seeing an Eastwood is a surefire way to lose a member of your lance. I also love the innumerable options for customization on your mechs. Some of the flash points are pretty good too.

https://roguetech.fandom.com/wiki/Mechs/CLNT-ESTWD

drat.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Get it it's a joke about an actor

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Oh it can't be that bad...

quote:

1x Patchwork Materials T2 [2]
1x ER M Laser Magna [1]

1x FCS Ballistic Improved [1]
1x Sensors Tracker [1]
1x Solaris Cage (2) [1]

1x Weapon Mount Heat [1]
1x Rotary AC20 (C) [10]

1x Heavy Ferro-Fibrous (C) [1]
1x Engine XL [2]
1x Engine Core 200 [1]
1x Gyro XL [4]
1x Heat Sink Kit (Prototype) [1]
1x Endo-Steel (C) (2) [1]

Oh.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Wow rougetech has gotten even more loving stupid from when i checked it out

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Stravag posted:

You mean great. The nutso equipment, mech variants, and vehicles are the best part. You've got pirate stuff, clan stuff, society equipment, royal variants, QuicSell nonsense. It's always neat to see the salvage screen.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

No, i don't

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Stravag posted:

banned for bullying

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

The sanctuary world mechs are remote piloted, so their cockpit gives the pilot like a dozen injury resists, functions as a C3 unit, and also an ECM unit.

Also yeah they have a lot of armour piercing weapons and stuff that debuffs you if it hits.

I did pick up one of their beagle probes which is incredibly good, something like a 300m search radius and +30% sight and sensor range.

I think they also have special armour types that are super resistant to energy weapons?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 28, 2023

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

banned for bullying

Alas, i will never be welcome on the reddit. My heart weeps

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Seriously why do the roguetech people always react to someone saying they don't like it exactly the same way every time

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It feels to me that for a lot of people, Roguetech is basically XCOM Long War for Battletech - either you absolutely love it and you can't imagine the game without it, or you can't stand it at all, which leads to very stark and polarized opinions about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

For sure but the long war players didn't launch into Robert Tilton salesmanship every time someone said nah

Granted they were being yelled at to play chess by even weirder people so maybe they just didn't have the chance