Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ddinkins posted:

I shot Iraqis into bloody pieces. But I never hated myself. I said, "thank me for my service."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ddinkins posted:

I shot Iraqis into bloody pieces. But I never hated myself. I said, "thank me for my service."

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

kronix posted:

More like war civil citations, I don’t have to go to court my punishment is communist Australians getting really mad at me on the internet.

proudly escaping consequences of actively aiding the death of millions of iraqis without remorse, HELL YEA

and the communist arab is yelling at you way more, i just touched a nerve so bad you confused me with like 2 different posters.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I am aggressively responding to bad takes because they really annoy me but I want to say I'm really glad HonorableTB is looking into stuff and might be a heartwarming C-SPAM success story.

HonorableTB I am sorry if I came across as mean, but you see the caliber of poster we're suddenly dealing with here. I'm sorry you experience oppression from the US on a daily basis. Also if returning land back to Native Americans involved going all Haiti on whitey then eh, that would be justifiable.

And yes, any GBS people who aren't fans of mass slaughter: just because we describe reality doesn't mean we love it. I don't think anyone in this thread is a fan of the Russian Federation other than ironically posting about wanting to smooch Putin. We don't see war as a team sport or a Marvel movie. When we post about Ukraine losing, we're not hooting and hollering, we're hopeful for a peace deal. When we post about Ukrainian Nazis, it's because we think Nazis are bad, not because we hate Ukraine. Ukraine has a proud history of fighting Nazis, and we think it is a huge shame that the current Ukrainian government is trying to erase this history in favour of installing Holocaust Doers as new national heroes. If you have historical awareness, or hell, even memory that stretches back before 2014 you know that this is a new phenomenon, not representative of the history of Ukrainians as a whole.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ddinkins posted:

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

thekeeshman posted:

Russian military planners don't give a flying gently caress about SRBMs and ABMs, they make no difference, because the US has enough sub-launched nukes just hanging around to obliterate Russia several times over and Russia has no way of intercepting them. Whether Russia conquers all of Ukraine or Ukraine drives Russia out completely and retakes Crimea, from a nuclear standpoint literally nothing will have changed. Every move Russia has made against Ukraine has directly coincided with Ukraine getting closer to the EU, not NATO. This war was launched because Putin sees Ukraine slipping out of the Russian imperialist sphere and into the EU, which is messing with his fantasies of getting the USSR back together. Lol that people are whining about unquestioned narratives when you are sucking the poo poo straight out of Putin's rear end in a top hat.

I believe (and smarter posters can correct me) the difference is that in the event of sub-launched nukes, Russia will have an opportunity to respond, not by "intercepting them" but by firing their own. this threat discourages the use of those sub-launched nukes. whether weapon platforms in Ukraine eliminate that threat or to some degree mitigate it, I don't know.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

3 posted:

but don't you see, there was a recession in 2008 and there was literally no other way to pay off college loans at the time! everyone i knew had to get a cushy desk job at the war crimes factory just to pay rent, it was terrible for everyone

I had 6 figures of student loan debt and no rich parents to fall back on. What can I say, I’m a victim of an evil capitalist system.

I’m definitely not willing to starve to maintain the moral posting high ground.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

thekeeshman posted:

Every move Russia has made against Ukraine has directly coincided with Ukraine getting closer to the EU, not NATO.

This, in particular, is very interesting to me. Can you elaborate further?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

kronix posted:

I had 6 figures of student loan debt and no rich parents to fall back on. What can I say, I’m a victim of an evil capitalist system.

i was saying it as a joke but now i'm actually genuinely concerned that you might legitimately not know about the existence of literally any other job

e: maybe i'm being too polite which is why you're not getting it so: you weren't drafted in vietnam, dipshit; no one's going to feel sorry for you if you were in financial trouble and you decided the only option was "i should contribute to mass suffering in the middle east"

3 has issued a correction as of 02:48 on Feb 28, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

As an example: FF has to the best of my knowledge form reading his posts never read about a historical battle that he couldn't turn into a analogy for Ukraine.

Literally my job, and where my job specifically intersects, the role of artillery is the conflict, relative (lack of) strength of the Ukrainian artillery arm, loss of guns, return to specific tactical procedures like gun pits,

I’ve been correct so

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
when you get out of college you have two options commt brutal warcrimes on iraqis or dig ditches

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

kronix posted:

I don’t have a child’s conception you jerkoff. I had friends who volunteered go to Iraq and work for NGOs who did so because they legitimately thought they could do some good.

That’s a child’s conception

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Medvedev all the way back in 2008

The Warsaw Treaty Organization ceased to exist twenty years ago, but to our regret at least, NATO’s expansion continues full steam ahead. Today, NATO is actively discussing the admission of Georgia and Ukraine. What’s more, it sees the issue in battle terms: admitting these countries would be victory over Russia, while keeping them out would be tantamount to capitulation.

But the real issue is that NATO is bringing its military infrastructure right up to our borders and is drawing new dividing lines in Europe, this time along our western and southern frontiers. No matter what we are told, it is only natural that we should see this as action directed against us. But the moment we try to point out that this is objectively contrary to Russia’s national security interests everyone starts getting nervous. How else are we to interpret this behaviour?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Any discussion of missiles in Ukraine is incomplete without remembering the several times (both prior to the war, and now) senior Ukrainian politicians, military personnel and Zelensky himself mentioned Ukraine wants to have nukes, and also would like to use them on Russia, or Zaluzhny saying that Ukraine getting nuked is one of the best paths to Ukrainian victory. Or the months Ukraine spent shelling a nuclear power plant after Zelensky said "we will attack the nuclear power plant" but libs managed to blame Russia for it.

Genuinely, if you believe it doesn't matter, advocate for China, Iran, DPRK or Russia (take your pick, whatever you like) to place missiles in Mexico. It would demonstrate it doesn't matter and that Russia's reaction is unreasonable. I've yet to see this suggestion, though, for some strange reason.

kronix posted:

There's people in this very thread who had a more direct hand than you in civilian death but *they don't loving brag about it for clout like a bloodthirsty psycho*, they regret it and think war is bad.

At any point you can just come to the conclusion that perhaps it is bad. But you don't. You keep wanting to be respected for it. It's pathetic. Go get your respect from GiP or D&D or something, you won't find it here.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Feb 28, 2023

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

ddinkins posted:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Al! posted:

guys joined up to join the new crusades and died in the green zone in a drunk driving accident

it's not a real crusade until somebody Frederick Barbarossas themself

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

thekeeshman posted:

Russian military planners don't give a flying gently caress about SRBMs and ABMs, they make no difference, because the US has enough sub-launched nukes just hanging around to obliterate Russia several times over and Russia has no way of intercepting them. Whether Russia conquers all of Ukraine or Ukraine drives Russia out completely and retakes Crimea, from a nuclear standpoint literally nothing will have changed. Every move Russia has made against Ukraine has directly coincided with Ukraine getting closer to the EU, not NATO. This war was launched because Putin sees Ukraine slipping out of the Russian imperialist sphere and into the EU, which is messing with his fantasies of getting the USSR back together. Lol that people are whining about unquestioned narratives when you are sucking the poo poo straight out of Putin's rear end in a top hat.
the danger about nukes isn't a difference in russian response. it's about american policymakers becoming insane enough to think they can "win" with a first strike the closer the nukes are to russia.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ddinkins posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

kronix posted:

I only worked there for a couple of years and my next gig was for a place that was a major net good for humanity but paid not so well so there was probably a little bit of soul cleansing going on.

you spent years of your life contributing to millions of deaths for money, and fifteen years later you're not sorry about it because you cleansed your soul working for less money afterwards. you are a monster. you get that right. that's monstrous.

ddinkins posted:

lmfao

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

comedyblissoption posted:

the danger about nukes isn't a difference in russian response. it's about american policymakers becoming insane enough to think they can "win" with a first strike the closer the nukes are to russia.

Listen bud there's no reason to believe any American would think this, which is why there are dozens and dozens of mainstream news columns advocating exactly this

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

:five:

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

kronix posted:

there's nothing i could have done. i really need to complete my star wars funko pop set. i won't apologize for it. it's the systems fault. im a stupid baby.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Remember when Trump was president and John Bolton, alongside a lot of American news anchors, argued that a first strike on North Korea would work and disable all their nukes before the 45 minute launch window?

Anyway I'm glad John Bolton isn't kicking around in the establishment anymore, that would be crazy

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

I’ve been correct so

lmao, you do better the farther back in history you go. Your recollection of your own analysis, except 6-12 months ago, is really bad.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

thekeeshman posted:

Also I heard there were some complaints about my earlier memes, though I don't know why since no one's posting any better ones. But I've taken your feedback to heart, and decided to post some memes that align with the C-SPAM perspective on the war, like this one:

this is not accurate. Sub-launched nukes are not a first strike decapitation kind of thing. They are ballistic missiles that go into space (generally an apogee of like 100km) and then come down. They will be detected and Russia will be able to respond. Submarine-launched nukes are to ensure the possibility of a retaliatory strike. That is their position in MAD. Modern submarine-launched missiles could actually be used for first strike, but not without being very obvious and guaranteeing retaliation. You know, suicide.

SRBMs can be much more accurate with a much lower apogee, meaning they can potentially blow up a country's leadership or take out a lot of their nuclear strike capacity before they can fire. Still close to suicide. ABMs are a different story and, depending on how good they are (which can be guessed at but we dont actually know) could enable a first strike. I'm not saying the first striker wouldn't get their hair mussed, but it destabilizas MAD enough that any country is rightfully worried about another country being able to set a bunch of ABM systems right next to their borders. Even if you doubt that the ABM would enable a first strike, a country would need to take it as a serious threat. It's stupid realpolitik poo poo, but that is what determines some types of state behavior.

read a fuckin book please

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mlmp08 posted:

lmao, you do better the farther back in history you go. Your recollection of your own analysis, except 6-12 months ago is really bad.

hey man i watched you argue about whether arby's sandwiches were hot or cold. you lost high horse privileges. you're just as goofy as the rest of us.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Top Gun Reference posted:

This, in particular, is very interesting to me. Can you elaborate further?

The administration made it clear that Ukrainian-EU trade agreements are a red line. Here's an article from 2013:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/22/ukraine-european-union-trade-russia

quote:

"We don't want to use any kind of blackmail. This is a question for the Ukrainian people," said Glazyev. "But legally, signing this agreement about association with EU, the Ukrainian government violates the treaty on strategic partnership and friendship with Russia." When this happened, he said, Russia could no longer guarantee Ukraine's status as a state and could possibly intervene if pro-Russian regions of the country appealed directly to Moscow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cuttlefush posted:

you're just as goofy as the rest of us.

This much is accurate, I admit.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

lmao, you do better the farther back in history you go.

I’m on Unix Time, like Dreyland said

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ddinkins posted:

:laffo:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Literally my job, and where my job specifically intersects, the role of artillery is the conflict, relative (lack of) strength of the Ukrainian artillery arm, loss of guns, return to specific tactical procedures like gun pits,

I’ve been correct so

Seeing so many people getting flummoxed by your (actual expert) opinion over the past several months and then struggling to come to terms with it has been a consistent reading highlight for me.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DancingShade posted:

Seeing so many people getting flummoxed by your (actual expert) opinion over the past several months and then struggling to come to terms with it has been a consistent reading highlight for me.

My favorite was him getting run out of the worst thread for being a tankie putinite shill

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ddinkins posted:

Just think how much better things would have gone for you if you remembered to ask those Iraqis to leave you a 5 star yelp review for your service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

are there war misdemeanors? i think i probably did those, definitely not crimes

I heard that murder in the warzone is punished similarly to a speeding ticket. Or at least a stern warning.