Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
TOTP and hardware 2FA is still a technological barrier for some folks, especially older ones who may be tied to older hardware that doesn't support those methods.

SMS being the lowest common denominator where almost everyone has the ability to use it shouldn't be sneered at just because SIM swapping is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blinkz0rz posted:

TOTP and hardware 2FA is still a technological barrier for some folks, especially older ones who may be tied to older hardware that doesn't support those methods.

SMS being the lowest common denominator where almost everyone has the ability to use it shouldn't be sneered at just because SIM swapping is a thing.

Yeah, at the end of the day, risky or not SMS 2FA is better than no 2FA at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, at the end of the day, risky or not SMS 2FA is better than no 2FA at all.

Unless the presence of 2FA lets the bank/etc push more liability onto the customer. That happened at one point in Canada with chip-and-PIN bank cards: the bank claimed there was no way to use it without having been given the PIN voluntarily, and tried to stick a customer with some fraud. IIRC they relented in the end, at least.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
When I got my first online banking account around the turn of the millenium it came with a credit card sized paper OTP sheet. That was pretty much the only option with online banking. Some bank may have had an alternative method, but all required 2FA. A lot of elderly have learned to use the OTP sheets over the years.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Rescue Toaster posted:

When do you suppose a single bank or medical system will learn that non-SMS MFA exists?

Every bank in Europe need app-based TOTP per PSD2, most of them use their home banking app as authenticator.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Saukkis posted:

When I got my first online banking account around the turn of the millenium it came with a credit card sized paper OTP sheet. That was pretty much the only option with online banking. Some bank may have had an alternative method, but all required 2FA. A lot of elderly have learned to use the OTP sheets over the years.

IIRC ING Direct just had some lovely 4 digit PIN that you had to click on with a mouse back in 2007, no MFA at all

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Inept posted:

IIRC ING Direct just had some lovely 4 digit PIN that you had to click on with a mouse back in 2007, no MFA at all

ING first "banking" services were counted as investments so the banking regulations (access security included) didn't cover them fully. The plastic badge with a series of three numbers was the standard practice until PSD1 in 2010s.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Inept posted:

Also they had a fairly progressive "passphrase as login name" of somes sort. Definitely an effort to decontextualize the username. Of course capital one nixed all those things for bog standard logins over the years. I really do miss the innovativeness of ING.

zhar
May 3, 2019

I just found out about this 'orion' browser and a safari-based browser with ubo on my macbook sounds ideal to me. I don't know enough about browsers to know whether it's like edge / brave that are 'chromium based' and have the foundational security maintained by google, but apple in this case, or whether whatever they had to do to get it to accept webextensions would make it sketchy to use given it's developed by a 'fed by 2 pizza size' team. Anyone have any thoughts?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

zhar posted:

I just found out about this 'orion' browser and a safari-based browser with ubo on my macbook sounds ideal to me. I don't know enough about browsers to know whether it's like edge / brave that are 'chromium based' and have the foundational security maintained by google, but apple in this case, or whether whatever they had to do to get it to accept webextensions would make it sketchy to use given it's developed by a 'fed by 2 pizza size' team. Anyone have any thoughts?
Well, since Google will be dropping WebRequests from the V3 Manifest, which is what's being used to do effective ad-blocking in anything based on WebKit, I have my doubts that a company that's also launching a "premium" search engine in the year 2023 will also be able to properly maintain a fork that somehow does all that's promised without walking it back later (see: Alphabet).

More worrying is that the founder is 1) obsessed with startup culture (4 companies in 15 years) and 2) obsessed with predictive algorithms.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

4 companies in 15 year is long tech tenure!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, since Google will be dropping WebRequests from the V3 Manifest, which is what's being used to do effective ad-blocking in anything based on WebKit, I have my doubts that a company that's also launching a "premium" search engine in the year 2023 will also be able to properly maintain a fork that somehow does all that's promised without walking it back later (see: Alphabet).

More worrying is that the founder is 1) obsessed with startup culture (4 companies in 15 years) and 2) obsessed with predictive algorithms.

WebKit and chromium have nothing to do with each other now

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Buff Hardback posted:

WebKit and chromium have nothing to do with each other now
Sure, except for all the code (im)ported from Chromium and the fact that they (Blink and WebKit) share a rather recent common ancestor.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rescue Toaster posted:

When do you suppose a single bank or medical system will learn that non-SMS MFA exists?

Every one of the medical offices I visit as a patient forces staff push MFA with DUO or the Epic auth app, I'm wondering what's different about our experience there

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Every one of the medical offices I visit as a patient forces staff push MFA with DUO or the Epic auth app, I'm wondering what's different about our experience there

staff facing internal implementation is an order of magnitude easier than any client facing implementation

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure, except for all the code (im)ported from Chromium and the fact that they (Blink and WebKit) share a rather recent common ancestor.

Yeah but Google’s not doing anything with extension capabilities in Safari, right? (the extension manifest stuff is mostly browser-level rather than renderer-level, and I think even some Chromium derivatives are going to keep support for v2)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Fool posted:

staff facing internal implementation is an order of magnitude easier than any client facing implementation

ah, I misunderstood the post and didn't realize it was talking about clientele

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah but Google’s not doing anything with extension capabilities in Safari, right? (the extension manifest stuff is mostly browser-level rather than renderer-level, and I think even some Chromium derivatives are going to keep support for v2)
That depends on whether Safari or one of the opensource developer decides to 1) implement Manifest v3 themselves (they'll probably need to, to continue to offer add-on compatibility) and 2) commit to maintaining compatibility with Manifest V2 WebRequests in Manifest V3 (which is what Google is dropping from Chromium, and what Mozilla has committed to keeping in Firefox).

I'd hope they do both, for the sake of their users - but don't know any of their plans, if they have any.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has Microsoft said anything about re-implementing the functionality Google is dropping? If not I’ll be 100% Firefox overnight.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Has Microsoft said anything about re-implementing the functionality Google is dropping? If not I’ll be 100% Firefox overnight.
So far as I know, only Mozilla has committed to keeping WebRequest compatibility in Manifest V3.

zhar
May 3, 2019

they seem to use some custom implementation for extensions, you can apparently use firefox or chrome extensions with it, I don't know how hard it would be to maintain when google drops support in their browser though.

from looks of things the founder is some archetypal hacker news type, although I doubt the company is doing anything deliberately untoward (one of their main selling points is lack of phoning home, and it would be trivial to see if it started).

future aside assuming that's true is the browser aok to use right now from a security standpoint?

I currently use firefox the main benefit I want is tuned battery perf from the safari part alongside ublock

zhar fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 19, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Shumagorath posted:

Edge is definitely going along with Google. The holdouts that will still have good adblock will be Firefox, Vivaldi, Brave, and Opera.

(With the last 3 being somewhat dependent on maintaining manifest V2 in chromium themselves, potentially at the mercy of google making that job intentionally harder with upstream changes.)

edit:

zhar posted:

future aside assuming that's true is the browser aok to use right now from a security standpoint?

as a home user probably you're ok -- the drawback of being slower to get patches than normal Safari is probably offset by better adblock

as a business CYA probably no

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 20, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I kept forgetting about that manifest change but it's going to gently caress over almost ten years of my browsing model - Edge with uBlock for stuff I trust, Firefox with uMatrix for stuff I don't.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
They don't have to keep all of v2 around, they can port the filtering callback to v3.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Klyith posted:

at the mercy of google making that job intentionally harder with upstream changes.)

Literally every market leader in browsers has actively and maliciously hosed with competition via incompatible edits to 1st party sites. So there is no 'possibly'. It'll happen, and we'll end up deciding that youtube is best played via mpc-hc and yt-dl.exe instead of some amalgamation of ads shaped roughly like a browser window.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I can’t believe how much the DoJ has weakened since the 90’s / 00’s such that Alphabet isn’t getting busted up for controlling the #1 browser, ad business, search, and video site. It’s just so utterly poisonous; all four of those products are demonstrably worse for it, and the synergy between two of them is actively pushing society off a cliff only slightly less energetically than Facebook.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Remember when we sued Micro$oft for putting Explorer everywhere? Those were good times...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H27rfr59RiE

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Shumagorath posted:

I can’t believe how much the DoJ has weakened since the 90’s / 00’s such that Alphabet isn’t getting busted up for controlling the #1 browser, ad business, search, and video site. It’s just so utterly poisonous; all four of those products are demonstrably worse for it, and the synergy between two of them is actively pushing society off a cliff only slightly less energetically than Facebook.

The bad old days before Citizens United, wherein a corporate citizen can spend arbitrary bribe lobbying money to get whatever they want passed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/lastpass-hackers-infected-employees-home-computer-and-stole-corporate-vault/

Holy Hell.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So was LastPass not issuing corporate hardware and just having people use their personal computers to work from home - or were they letting people install Plex on their corporate machines?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Wow.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Whats the recommended alternative to Lastpass for personal passwords? Or are there multiple options?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I switched to 1Password and it’s a definite improvement in every regard except when it saves passwords (pre-submission).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dandywalken posted:

Whats the recommended alternative to Lastpass for personal passwords? Or are there multiple options?

1Password if you can afford $3 per month and want to be done with this poo poo forever.

Bitwarden if you want something free.

Keepass if you are a huge nerd and want to janitor your own software.

Apple keychain if you are fully inside the apple ecosystem and don't need compatibility.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Having just moved my dad out of Apple keychain into 1Password: Do not use Apple keychain unless you want to be forever chained to iCarumba, The Worst Cloud. Exporting was entirely by hand and took me ~30min for 40 passwords.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Klyith posted:

1Password if you can afford $3 per month and want to be done with this poo poo forever.

Apple keychain if you are fully inside the apple ecosystem and don't need compatibility.

This should probably just be in the OP at this point.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

And if you work in infosec and can't afford $3/month: huh?? (Also just get your work to adopt it and bum a free family subscription off them.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Did I read that correctly that AWS proactively notified LastPass before LastPass realized they had a problem? I'd like to believe that LastPass had active IAM monitoring and that's what triggered the notification from AWS.

Employees install not-work-things on work machines all the time, and it's not necessarily awful for most threat models. But if you have access to master encryption keys and your business is securing passwords for millions of people, that is a terrible threat model assessment. You shouldn't even be using the same USB keyboard for work as you do for not-work.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Klyith posted:

Thanks for this, was just about to ask the same question. Really should have ditched LastPass two security breaches ago.

I do have another question though. There are a ton of sites in my vault with stored logins that I haven't visited in years and will likely never use again. What's the best practices for cleaning that poo poo up? Am I safe just deleting them from my vault and forgetting they exist? Do I need to hit each site and try to delete accounts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Enos Cabell posted:

I do have another question though. There are a ton of sites in my vault with stored logins that I haven't visited in years and will likely never use again. What's the best practices for cleaning that poo poo up? Am I safe just deleting them from my vault and forgetting they exist? Do I need to hit each site and try to delete accounts?

In terms of security I don't think it matters. Nobody's gonna use your planetquake account from 2002 to gain access to anything else. The thing that might be dangerous is old email accounts, but it's probably better to keep the keys to those rather than delete them.

General junk websites, maybe there's a privacy / data collection benefit to deleting the accounts? Especially if they're big enough to care about EU GDPR and so actually delete the data. But it also sounds like a lot of effort. Personally I would just forget about them.

In ten years when the AI uses my planetquake account from 2002 as the final piece of the perfect model of my brain to sell me a new TV, I guess I'll buy a lot of TVs.