Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Kaiser and Tsar both mean a Roman coupist who got stabbed over two thousand years ago.

e: terrible start for a page, here's a graph at least

Nenonen has a new favorite as of 12:25 on Feb 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s latitudes that mess with my head. Rome the same as Chicago. Seattle and Milan. Jacksonville and Cairo. etc.

This is exactly what messes me up too. If nothing else it's powerful at realizing there's so much more to climate than latitude. Venice (and plenty more places in Italy, and indeed a big part of Europe) is two degrees north of Toronto, yet the north of Italy is not exactly known for its winter; obviously they get snow but we Canadians have something of a reputation as hardy winter people and aside from the obvious Nordic countries Europe doesn't seem to see it the same way.

In retrospect I suppose the more obvious example is London, UK - I can't speak to it anecdotally like I can Italy, but it's nearly ten degrees north of here and their reputation even in winter is one of just... rain.

The other thing that messes me up latitude-wise is I that for the longest time I couldn't really wrap my head around why Columbus landed where he did, as I had this impression that Europe and the east coast of North America were basically squared-up. I mean they sort of are, but I thought that winding up in the Bahamas was a whole lot of a trip southbound - maybe carried by currents, I imagined - before going west. But in reality it's actually a pretty shallow diagonal from where he launched.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

So Kiribati is what? Christbus?

welcome to my life long quest to understand how you can get "pidgin" out of "business"

Here's how I'd get there: biziniss -> bizin -> bizhin -> bidgin -> pidgin.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Freudian posted:

Here's how I'd get there: biziniss -> bizin -> bizhin -> bidgin -> pidgin.

What's bizin?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Freaquency posted:

Fun fact: the -ti in the native language of Kiribati is pronounced as an S. That atoll you linked there is Kiritimati but is pronounced “Christmas” :eng101:

Did the Dutch do this?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

This is exactly what messes me up too. If nothing else it's powerful at realizing there's so much more to climate than latitude. Venice (and plenty more places in Italy, and indeed a big part of Europe) is two degrees north of Toronto, yet the north of Italy is not exactly known for its winter; obviously they get snow but we Canadians have something of a reputation as hardy winter people and aside from the obvious Nordic countries Europe doesn't seem to see it the same way.

In retrospect I suppose the more obvious example is London, UK - I can't speak to it anecdotally like I can Italy, but it's nearly ten degrees north of here and their reputation even in winter is one of just... rain.

The other thing that messes me up latitude-wise is I that for the longest time I couldn't really wrap my head around why Columbus landed where he did, as I had this impression that Europe and the east coast of North America were basically squared-up. I mean they sort of are, but I thought that winding up in the Bahamas was a whole lot of a trip southbound - maybe carried by currents, I imagined - before going west. But in reality it's actually a pretty shallow diagonal from where he launched.

The gulf stream does a lot to keep Europe warmer than other places in its latitude! Ocean currents bring tropical warmth up that way.

Another factor for Columbus' landing is the trade winds - prevailing winds go west nearer the equator and east nearer the poles. In the age of sailing ships if you wanted to cross the Atlantic westward you had to take a southern route. A big part of why so many people thought Columbus couldn't possibly circle round to the Indies was that these winds weren't known about yet.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Kaiser and Tsar both mean a Roman coupist who got stabbed over two thousand years ago.

SOVIET TAINT

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nenonen posted:

This was a mess but the finish ending or payoff was worth it

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Another fun one for trivia is figuring out which state is the closest to Africa

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Olanphonia posted:

Another fun one for trivia is figuring out which state is the closest to Africa

That's a good one, I figured Florida was the obvious bait choice so I guessed the North Carolina bulge. Not even close!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nenonen posted:

What's bizin?

Not much, what’s bizin with you?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This information would be way more relevant than straight line distances until the mid-late 19th century. The US south and West Indies "feel" closer to Africa than Maine because for centuries travel time based on prevailing winds and the climate (also largely affected by currents, same as wind) facilitated (some pretty horrific) trade and cultural exchange.

It would be cool if someone could recreate this map with a best guess of data from 1600.

AreWeDrunkYet has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Feb 18, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's pretty neat, I'm not sure I've seen a map like that before. The presentation did throw me for a second when I zoomed in to read the scale, I didn't see the date and was assuming something at least moderately old.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's pretty neat, I'm not sure I've seen a map like that before. The presentation did throw me for a second when I zoomed in to read the scale, I didn't see the date and was assuming something at least moderately old.

Your instinct is right, it's a recreation of this 1914 map. But something before widespread steamships and trains would look way different.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

steinrokkan posted:

So Kiribati is what? Christbus?

welcome to my life long quest to understand how you can get "pidgin" out of "business"

Groda posted:

Did the Dutch do this?

Kir-i-Bass, which is supposed to be how the Gilbertese pronounced the European name (Gilberts) that was given to the islands. I can see it if you squint, kinda.

As much as I like blaming things on the Dutch, this is Franco-Anglo explorers absolutely having to rub their junk on everything they see. Also it may have something to do with missionaries that introduced script to the islands; apparently in some instances in some interpretations of Latin, -ti is pronounced as a sibilant sound, but I know nothing about Latin so I can’t say if that’s true.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can get behind this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mister Speaker posted:

yet the north of Italy is not exactly known for its winter

Isn’t the north of Italy known for being the Alps?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

For some reason when I think "snowy alps" I think Switzerland and when I think "grassy alps" I think Italy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Isn’t the north of Italy known for being the Alps?

Not the population centers. Milan is the largest city in northern Italy, is further north than Chicago, but:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Growth model interpretation of planet size distribution, Zeng et al (2019), if anyone wants to peruse. Presumably all sixteen of the credited authors were forced to share two graphs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:words: in graph form, I love it. Good ol' PNAS

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Red Bones posted:

Growth model interpretation of planet size distribution, Zeng et al (2019), if anyone wants to peruse. Presumably all sixteen of the credited authors were forced to share two graphs.

Gas gaints

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
posting for the title and no other reason

https://twitter.com/vebaccount/status/1628031074231021569

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

:ohdear:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
hope that person's doing better

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Statistically they do appear to be doing better at least.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The third Wednesday of January must have been wild

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

July :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
as a former BLS employee, yes I absolutely can (and I can believe they published all five) but man is that ever a great title

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Overminty posted:

My exact thoughts

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
It's easy to judge somebody for that sort of behavior, but if I'm being honest I have trouble remembering how to spell February as well

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Hank Hill voice:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Overminty posted:

You know, maybe I can do it this time. It's been nearly two weeks and I feel--

*wakes up hungover as gently caress* ohhhhhh Christ who am i

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I'm impressed that they planned their drinks out a year in advance.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Buttchocks posted:

That's the easy part. The real effort is in committing to the scheduled blackouts.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Buttchocks posted:

did you blackout? it's 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Mr. Fix It posted:

did you blackout? it's 2023

Yeah, a little over a year after that person filled out that calendar.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
While that person has a problem, I have a few years in the aughts that would just be black. Not gonna mock whoever was at least sticking to a tracking schedule cause it’s an active step they chose to make each day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I'm most amazed/shocked by the red square straight after the black one. How do you have 7+ drinks a day after you were blackout drunk?