Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm pretty sure more characters in Genshin are gay than they are straight.

At least... that's what the fan art tells me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Yelans charge shot+ EM Raiden does some hefty electrocharged damage

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really dislike the chasm snake.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mordiceius posted:

I really dislike the chasm snake.

I need another 20 runic fangs for Yelan. I'm pretty sick of that poo poo already. I already beat it up for Heizou and kuki before this.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mordiceius posted:

Honkai is somehow gayer. Especially as Raiden Mei is one of the main cast members and her relationship with Kiana is like the core of the entire plot. Ei has yet to become the universes equivalent of a demon to try and save Miko's life for example. "If rescuing you is a sin, I'll gladly become a sinner." Gayest poo poo imaginable.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 28, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

In the end, nothing matters because tomorrow, the queen of the desert comes home.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I just want to know more about my green guys.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Lost 50/50 on Hu Tao banner to Qiqi so think I'm going to just keep my guarantee for Ayaka constellation since she's basically my main.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I'm mentally preparing myself to find out that Kaveh is just green Thoma :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

green thoma would be pretty good honestly

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I'm pretty sure literally nobody in Honkai is straight besides a few men who are mostly evil or dead.

It's enough of a thing that I called Fischl as gay or bi like a year before her and Mona showed up together again, just on the basis that if she was in Honkai she could not be straight.

Also for multiple characters their gay love interest is their primary motivation, or in a couple instances their only real link to the plot at all.

One character seems to have been promoted from a faceless NPC to a proper side character who is apparently playable soon? entirely because they seem to have been unable to think of a thing for a new character to do besides "hang around and be gay."

Good for them, even if I would rather their screentime go to the main cast right now.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

all the characters in APHO and on the bridge are extremely straight, and then extremely gay in the main story (besides susheng lol.)

genshin has a similar thing going where they're all extremely into the player in the story/the interactions in the menu but during the events they're sometimes paired off with another character in an ambiguous enough way as to not upset anyone.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'm just trying to prepare for Kaveh to be all around bad, not able to easily build into carrying while having any number of drawbacks as a support (CDs, application, ER, Con-locked, low-value niche). I know hyperbloom can carry anything on its back but would just hope there's enough to him that I could still enjoy that even if he's say, running on the opposite side of Abyss from Alhaitham.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radical posted:

all the characters in APHO and on the bridge are extremely straight, and then extremely gay in the main story (besides susheng lol.)

genshin has a similar thing going where they're all extremely into the player in the story/the interactions in the menu but during the events they're sometimes paired off with another character in an ambiguous enough way as to not upset anyone.
Tbh i dont really see that many characters as into the protag in genshin. Its like mona, ayaka, wanderer. Amber, maybe. Like cyno and tighnari have their thing and neither ever seems that interested in the protagonist. Yae teases the protsg but she does that with everyone. Etc

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the honkai characters are definitely far more explicit about it when you log on and they ask to go out on a date with you and remind you not to work too hard

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It is extremely annoying that the player character is just treated as a dude, especially in APHO.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, every character who's thirsty for the Traveler has to be queer, then you have fan pairings like Beidou/Ningguang that Hoyo leans into... it's a good chunk of them for sure

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

It is extremely annoying that the player character is just treated as a dude, especially in APHO.
i liked when girls frontline made female commander canon and a bunch of mad fans wrote emails demanding that they change this because grr mary sues

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

i liked when girls frontline made female commander canon and a bunch of mad fans wrote emails demanding that they change this because grr mary sues

That owns. Screw those dudes.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
At least the Captainverse Captain has sort of morphed into his own character, APHO Main Character is still very much a generic insert. I hope for APHO3 they either make him an actual character or find an excuse to shuffle him off.

But yeah, no, APHO gets at least as gay as the Bridge and Teapot get straight. Having a crush on Bronya is one of Timido's only personality traits, and Lyle flirts with everyone including Main Character. I mean Lyle doesn't get "main story Kiana/Mei or Bronya/Seele" level "no this is pretty much explicit, and was 100% explicit in some previous stuff" but it seems like at least as much of a thing as anyone in Genshin or the bridge flirting I apparently missed. (I don't deny that it's a thing, everyone in this sort of game seems to have "and also the player character" in their sexuality, but either I happened to choose the characters who don't flirt with you or it went over my head.)

--Edit: Okay not anything in Genshin. But most things.
Not Fischl asking you to stay together until the end of the universe, or Fischl's subconscious raven openly hitting on Mona.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 28, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Inazuma sucks. I still haven't figured out what the hell you do with the electro arrow-compass things

but to be fair I was born with a stupid head.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Meowywitch posted:

Inazuma sucks. I still haven't figured out what the hell you do with the electro arrow-compass things

but to be fair I was born with a stupid head.

You want to turn the arrow to exactly match the largest "point" on the pedestal. The easiest way to do this is with Beidou, just hold her skill while standing right up against the correct side and it should lock into place if you're standing in the right spot. There are a few that felt bugged to me, I couldn't get them to register as locked and then the next day after server reset it would work first try.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Space Opera posted:

You want to turn the arrow to exactly match the largest "point" on the pedestal. The easiest way to do this is with Beidou, just hold her skill while standing right up against the correct side and it should lock into place if you're standing in the right spot. There are a few that felt bugged to me, I couldn't get them to register as locked and then the next day after server reset it would work first try.

They may be fixed at this point but yes there were some that bugged to not show as complete till you relogged.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You can cheese them with Beidou but they're environmental puzzles. You're supposed to get electro applied to you from somewhere nearby and align them all.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Kale posted:

According to the google document helper guide thing the umbrella sword from the breakout/item spirit event is pretty good for Shinobu if fully refined. Can anyone confirm this? It says that and Flower of Paradise 4-set for artifacts, which I would need to farm among some other Sumeru sets that I've only recently actually unlocked the domains for.
Yep, I run umbrella and 4pc PL on my hyperkuki and it shreds. PL is about 25% more damage than Gilded at ~900EM which is a good achievable target.

Edit
Yeah, poorly worded on my part, the bonus is about 25% more, not the end result.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 28, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

sushibandit posted:

Yep, I run umbrella and 4pc PL on my hyperkuki and it shreds. PL is about 25% more damage than Gilded at ~900EM which is a good achievable target.
It's definitely not 25% more total damage vs gilded.

Paradise lost:
16 * 900 /2900 + .8 = 5.76 bonus damage

Gilded:
16 * 1030 /3030 = 5.43 bonus damage

The damage is very close. If you meant it adds another 25% to the 600+% total reaction damage that's accurate. I recommend only farming PL if you own wanderer, otherwise just keep pumping resin into the deepwood domain and use gilded.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 28, 2023

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
PL is more effective when your actual EM stat is lower, since the bonus is a flat increase. It's great for someone like Thoma who needs to sacrifice a significant amount of EM in favor of ER. My Thoma has ~775 EM, but at max stacks he does as much burgeon damage as my 1.1k EM Kuki's hyperblooms.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

PL is more effective when your actual EM stat is lower, since the bonus is a flat increase. It's great for someone like Thoma who needs to sacrifice a significant amount of EM in favor of ER.
It's the opposite - EM damage bonuses have diminishing returns (actually for real, the mathematical formula asymptotically approaches 1600%) so PL only starts being better damage on units with >220 EM and does proportionally better than gilded the higher EM stats get.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Kale posted:

According to the google document helper guide thing the umbrella sword from the breakout/item spirit event is pretty good for Shinobu if fully refined. Can anyone confirm this? It says that and Flower of Paradise 4-set for artifacts, which I would need to farm among some other Sumeru sets that I've only recently actually unlocked the domains for.

Yes, it's very good. But it's good because all you need is an EM weapon, not because it's especially better on her specifically or anything. And also, you don't really need FoPL, and it's not really recommended to go for it unless you're also going for Scara. It's a marginal boost over Gilded.

Well ackchually... I guess the platonically ideal Shinobu is an EM/EM/EM with full crit and HP substats, and if you can get enough of them then the umbrella's passive is actually useful, kinda. But I don't really recommend going for that sort of thing TBH. Just, do something else.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

No Wave posted:

It's the opposite - EM damage bonuses have diminishing returns (actually for real, the mathematical formula asymptotically approaches 1600%) so PL only starts being better damage on units with >220 EM and does proportionally better than gilded the higher EM stats get.

Right, my mistake. Since EM has diminishing returns, flat bonuses gets better at high stat due to being "worth" more EM. I got my reasoning mixed up, but my point still stands that PL is great at making up for an EM deficit on burst-dependent characters. The break even point is actually pretty low. I think at ~375 EM, Gilded and PL give the same bonus at full power, at which point PL starts to move ahead and reaching about 5% better at 1k EM.

But, yeah, probably wouldn't farm it if I didn't have Wanderer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

For context, I picked Lumine. I don't know if I'm just bad at recognizing signals but I don't think anyone has been flirting with the Traveler. The closest it gets are Lisa and Ying'er and she's just a more playful Yae since we get flirty lines to say back to Lisa honestly.

Maybe the game seems different on PC or PS5 but I don't think Rosaria, Yelan, Shinobu or Kokomi are interested in them. Ayaka gets a lotta flak but the girl just wants more friends, and I'm a sucker that's 300 chapters deep on a manga for that.

Endorph posted:

See now, this is the kind of secondhand 'people somewhere got mad' info that I wanna see. :allears:

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
GD has a literal uptime gap that no one ever seems to acknowledge or take into consideration. PL has a smaller periodic loss of effectiveness.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

RareAcumen posted:

For context, I picked Lumine. I don't know if I'm just bad at recognizing signals but I don't think anyone has been flirting with the Traveler. The closest it gets are Lisa and Ying'er and she's just a more playful Yae since we get flirty lines to say back to Lisa honestly.

Maybe the game seems different on PC or PS5 but I don't think Rosaria, Yelan, Shinobu or Kokomi are interested in them. Ayaka gets a lotta flak but the girl just wants more friends, and I'm a sucker that's 300 chapters deep on a manga for that.

See now, this is the kind of secondhand 'people somewhere got mad' info that I wanna see. :allears:

Ayaka, Kokomi, and Yoimiya all have story quests you have to do to advance Inazuma where you have to sit through dumb awkward dates regardless of gender and they gush about how amazing the traveller is and how they just want to spend time with them -complete with sections that have forced 1st person POV so they're talking to you and looking into the traveller's eyes and blushing.
Are there any of the main cast of characters you think have romantic feelings out of curiosity? Because I've seen nothing as overt as those characters towards the MC.

I can't imagine someone simultaneously going with "Well you see there's a raven statue in the golden apple archipelago event who clearly is flustered by Mona, this is a reflection of Fischl's hidden romantic love for her made manifest," stuff who then watches the fireworks dates and is all "Oh, they just really liked the traveller as a friend!"

e: Not picking on any folks biting when the writers have clearly leaned into fandom stuff, like I said I just think it would be really funny to see someone simultaneously saying "Oh no Ninguang and Beidou make bedroom eyes at eachother and clearly have a romantic relationship due to their familiarity and how often they show up together, but all of that fawning over the MC is platonic"

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 28, 2023

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

You can catch these hands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDz1h2871E

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Honestly feels really half-assed. Most of it looks like a lovely AMV, complete with "dramatic" highlighting and repeating parts because there's not enough source material. The end showed a little bit of character, but otherwise it's really boring. Hoyo's doing Dehya real dirty :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean thats how they do every character trailer

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah, I think folks just want a narrative about malfeasance for a story character they like. If Mihoyo were trying to do Dehya dirty they wouldn't have included her in stories that made you so hyped for her.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

i can't find the letter itself at the moment, but i did find a screenshot of the author reacting to it

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'll agree the Dehya trailer isn't very good. It's just not actually different from the basic structure of most others though, showing off the NA string and aspects of her kit in a pretty boring way with some flourishes around the edges. In this case it's mostly using that motion lines style. Feels similar to another recent trailer I didn't like that nonetheless had obvious style and effort put in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHEE_-87mNE

But at least in my personal biases for these, I prefer ones like Alhaitham or even Faruzan (and no-brainer Nahida) that include plenty of the character's personality or interactions with the setting/other characters. You can even get by with pretty thin characterization but more stylistic oomph, like Layla or Nilou. Dehya sits just below those but has plenty of company with all the other Sumeru characters being around this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

Ayaka, Kokomi, and Yoimiya all have story quests you have to do to advance Inazuma where you have to sit through dumb awkward dates regardless of gender and they gush about how amazing the traveller is and how they just want to spend time with them -complete with sections that have forced 1st person POV so they're talking to you and looking into the traveller's eyes and blushing.
Are there any of the main cast of characters you think have romantic feelings out of curiosity? Because I've seen nothing as overt as those characters towards the MC.

Okay, I'll get back to you when I rewatch their story quests. As far as I'm concerned, people are generally some tier of 'polite' to the Traveller and any romantic interest will be towards someone actually in this world before they showed up. I just don't see it.