Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
That's a strange thing with my fz6. It has a 19.5L tank but the fuel warning with digital range counter comes on at 15L. So you have around 90km/55miles on the reserve.
It also has a proper fuel gauge so such a long range on the reserve feels a bit strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's because the fuel light switch and fuel gauge assembly are usually semi generic and not calibrated to account for the irregularity of the tank shape. Cars also used to be like this until everything went digital and now you can extrapolate the rheostat signal to a 'real' fuel level.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

That's because the fuel light switch and fuel gauge assembly are usually semi generic and not calibrated to account for the irregularity of the tank shape. Cars also used to be like this until everything went digital and now you can extrapolate the rheostat signal to a 'real' fuel level.

How exactly do the gauges work?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Traditionally a fuel level sender is just a little float on a stiff wire connected to a potentiometer (rheostat), arranged so when the fuel level changes the float moves and turns the potentiometer and changes its electrical resistance, and that is wired into the gauge. The float position only measures the height of the fuel, so if for instance the tank gets narrower towards the bottom, the level will change more quickly for a given amount of fuel consumed than it did at the top. That makes the reading inaccurate unless you have e.g. a pre-calibrated software lookup table that you can use to compensate for the tank shape.

They also now have capacitive strips that stick on the inside wall of the tank and do the reading without moving parts, but I don't know how common those are.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 26, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Traditionally a fuel level sender is just a little float on a stiff wire connected to a potentiometer (rheostat), arranged so when the fuel level changes the float moves and turns the potentiometer and changes its electrical resistance, and that is wired into the gauge. The float position only measures the height of the fuel, so if for instance the tank gets narrower towards the bottom, the level will change more quickly for a given amount of fuel consumed than it did at the top. That makes the reading inaccurate unless you have e.g. a pre-calibrated software lookup table that you can use to compensate for the tank shape.

They also now have capacitive strips that stick on the inside wall of the tank and do the reading without moving parts, but I don't know how common those are.

I have never seen one of those strips on a bike and I assume the inherent caution/conservatism of bike design is responsible; ktm will build one shortly.

I had an e21 bmw where the 1/2 mark on the gauge was approximately 2/3rds to the right, the 1/4 mark was halfway and the fill up now mark was at 1/4. Sort of implying that if you had more than half a tank you had nothing to worry about whereas if you were down below half you needed ever increasing gauge fidelity.

I'll add to the above that the fuel light sender is a separate unit to the level sender and is a simple floating contact in a little cylinder mounted on a stalk poking up out of the fuel pump base. These are pretty much the same on just about every japanese bike so how much you actually have left when the fuel light turns on varies wildly from bike to bike.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Rode down to the dealership today and the scrambler felt like it had better leg room than the street twin with the stock seats they both had. The street twin’s handlebars also felt super narrow. Seems like it is set up for a shorter rider in general. Unfortunately that’s all I learned today, the dealer didn’t let me test ride either of them because it was too wet outside.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My '18 Fireblade has no fuel gauge but you can set a counter for "litres used on Trip A", until it gets down to 5L remaining when you get a range remaining display.

Super weird, just give me a fuel gauge.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Every engine with EFI should know exactly how much fuel has been dispensed down to the milliliter. I want a gauge that just shows that number. Reset it every time you refuel.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

My '18 Fireblade has no fuel gauge but you can set a counter for "litres used on Trip A", until it gets down to 5L remaining when you get a range remaining display.

Super weird, just give me a fuel gauge.

Baffling, and very Honda

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The SV has the world's most annoying fuel light ever. It first starts blinking when there's about 4,5 liters left.
Then it goes on continuously when there is about 2 liters left.

It's super distracting. Seeing it from my periferal vision i think my indicator is on each loving time.
I'd rather have it reversed. Ignorable constant light when i got 75km of range left, flashy thing when i got (worst case) 30km left. I could comfortably ride until 30km is left because you're rarely more than 10km away from a fuel station here, but i usually get fuel sooner because of that bloody annoying blinking.

I can't really be assed to do it, but i have been fantasizing about building a little circuit that reverses that way of operation. Should be pretty easy to make something that turns on a light at about 6v (buffered blinky light voltage) and starts flashing at 12v (constant light voltage).

The FZR has no fuel gauge or light at all. Just a petcock with one single hose running to it, so no on/reserve thing either. Living on the edge!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I had an e21 bmw where the 1/2 mark on the gauge was approximately 2/3rds to the right, the 1/4 mark was halfway and the fill up now mark was at 1/4. Sort of implying that if you had more than half a tank you had nothing to worry about whereas if you were down below half you needed ever increasing gauge fidelity.

This made me curious enough to look it up. That's kinda cool.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Every engine with EFI should know exactly how much fuel has been dispensed down to the milliliter. I want a gauge that just shows that number. Reset it every time you refuel.

Nothing is more frustrating than when a vehicle has data but doesn’t show you or let you use it.

There is an aftermarket dongle you can get for the SV that puts the gas mileage up on the tachometer, including instantaneous mileage, ML/min or liters per hour or something like that, distance to empty, etc.

The bike has that data and just doesn’t show you.

The SV also knows what gear it’s in (it has different ignition maps per gear). How hard would it be to just put that data on the display?

:mad:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 27, 2023

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My lifetime average on the MT-09 is 46mpg. On the SV it is 40mpg and the 690 was at 44mpg when I sold it.

My Toyota is hopeless, it has a 45-liter tank and I regularly drive it until the km remaining reads "- - -" and the gauge shows below empty, and I've never been able to fill more than 40 liters. 5 liters with my avg consumption should get me almost 90km.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm finally ready to start shopping for a sport tourer. For six months my mind has been made up: in the spring when my bonus hits I'm going to spend $10-12k on a clean used FJR. Sorted. All I needed to do was wait.

Now that my bonus is actually here and I look on Cycle Trader and message boards I don't see any $10-12k FJRs nearby. What I do see are a bunch of brand new Ninja 1000s in stock at local dealers. So that six months of determined waiting has gone out the window and I'm trying to talk myself into the Ninja again.

MSRP plus delivery plus the touring package (panniers, heated grips, comfort seat, power outlet) is $16,300. Assuming I can get one of these dealers to be reasonable on the OTD, I can still afford that purchase outright. I could also sell the 919, too, and go back to a one-bike garage for a while which would close some of that price gap.

This is pure head vs heart and I'm conflicted. The FJR makes more financial sense and I'm not a good enough rider for that extra 140 lbs and missing electronics to really matter, and it'd be better at multiday trips, if I ever take any. But the Ninja was always the bike I really wanted deep down, and I could be emailing dealerships right now and maybe get a shiny new toy without exercising any more patience, and what's a few thousand bucks at the end of the day?

I'd appreciate advice but I'm also venting - I've been planning this purchase for more than a year and I still can't make up my mind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw a ninja 1000 would make your hornet totally redundant in every way but looks. It is exactly the same concept but better in every single way. I don't really like most Kawasakis but the z/ninja 1k have a great street motor and a near perfect balance between comfort and dynamic performance; only the gsx1000 is better imo. The gap between that and an fjr is absolutely vast, it doesn't matter if you're a poo poo rider or not, they are just totally different things and you'd feel the difference immediately. I would only go for an fjr if I was going to be trucking a shitload of luggage + a passenger basically full-time, the trade-off is not worth it otherwise.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Counterpoint: if you sell the 919 I'll be mad at you

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Tbh also if you can wait buying in the spring (assuming your not in Australia or other south hemisphere places) is the worst idea and your paying a premium. If possible you can find one in the fall likely for a few grand less as people put stuff up.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There has to be a message board where gray beards are selling their fully sorted FJRs for reasonable prices. That's usually the case with niche dad bikes. It's also a perfect motorcycle to fly and ride from a few states away.

If you are okay with Kawasaki, why not the concourse 1400? It's a direct competitor to FJR

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Tbh also if you can wait buying in the spring (assuming your not in Australia or other south hemisphere places) is the worst idea and your paying a premium. If possible you can find one in the fall likely for a few grand less as people put stuff up.

This is definitely the worst time of year to buy but I'd rather pay more now and get a full seasons riding in on the new bike. I'm not confident that these dealers will get any more stock, anyway - the 2022 Ninjas were all gone by late fall last year.

Nitrox posted:

There has to be a message board where gray beards are selling their fully sorted FJRs for reasonable prices. That's usually the case with niche dad bikes. It's also a perfect motorcycle to fly and ride from a few states away.

If you are okay with Kawasaki, why not the concourse 1400? It's a direct competitor to FJR

I am keeping an eye on the FJR forums and ADVRider, I know something will pop up eventually if I keep waiting. The Concours doesn't have factory cruise control which is one of my must-haves.

opengl posted:

Counterpoint: if you sell the 919 I'll be mad at you

:sadwave: But as Slavvy said it would be pretty redundant. I know I'm going to miss having a twin around so the 919 would probably be gone soon in favor of an SV or something.

happyscrappyheropup
Oct 13, 2005

mark it zero

FBS posted:

This is pure head vs heart and I'm conflicted. The FJR makes more financial sense and I'm not a good enough rider for that extra 140 lbs and missing electronics to really matter, and it'd be better at multiday trips, if I ever take any. But the Ninja was always the bike I really wanted deep down, and I could be emailing dealerships right now and maybe get a shiny new toy without exercising any more patience, and what's a few thousand bucks at the end of the day?

I'd appreciate advice but I'm also venting - I've been planning this purchase for more than a year and I still can't make up my mind.

I looked for several years for a second bike. I was looking at practical bikes and not really able to pull the trigger. A friend started pushing me towards less practical more fun bikes and I ended up buying an Aprilia. I couldn’t be happier with my choice.

My long winded way of saying buy what you always wanted. If the Ninja 1k was the dream and you can manage the cost, do it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

But the Ninja was always the bike I really wanted deep down

Speaking as a guy who moaned about wanting a ZRX for years until some combination of prodding from my brother and Slavvy prompted me to just go loving ride one, and on the very first one I tried, I gave the guy a deposit as soon as I was back in his yard -

We don't get many opportunities in this life to achieve our dreams. Motorcycles are one place where that's doable. Meet your hero. Get the Ninja.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I think what's going to happen is I'll contact the local dealers and make a good-faith purchase effort on the Ninja. If they all want to tack on a thousand bucks in nonsense fees or insist on twelve hours of installation labor for accessories or only offer $4k for my trade, then I'll be back to the used market to wait for an FJR (or, possibly, a clean used N1k).

FBS fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 17, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's entirely reasonable. And of course try to arrange a test ride, used if not at the dealer. I wasn't 100% sold on the Rex, because of the "never meet your heroes" idea, until I hustled it down the highway and understood how livable it was going to be.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Hm, a clean looking GTS popped up for sale, 45k miles.

More images and moon language here: https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=292411847

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I love the GTS, such a rad bike. Last I looked some parts were completely impossible to find or insanely expensive. For example, IIRC the catalytic converter was basically the price of a complete bike.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Ignore everything I was posting about earlier, obviously it makes way more sense to keep two motorcycles and several thousand dollars.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hell yeah congrats goon

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah a couch rocket

happyscrappyheropup
Oct 13, 2005

mark it zero

FBS posted:

Ignore everything I was posting about earlier, obviously it makes way more sense to keep two motorcycles and several thousand dollars.

Congrats! More pics and details, please.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

It's a 2015, A model, 16k miles. Unbelievably clean - not flawless, it has some scuffs and scrapes, but the PO kept it immaculately clean. This is probably the cleanest it will ever be again. I paid $9200 and I probably could have gotten it for less but I wasn't willing to lowball the guy. Brand new tires (I took the stickers off while taking these photos), it came with a spare windscreen and all the factory bits like the bag liners, plugs for the bag mount holes, and a spare lock for a top box.

The only immediate plans I have are to put the stock levers back on and install some drop protection. I think I'll take the Helibar risers off soon but I want to ride it a bit first.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
sharp as hell, makes me miss mine.

since the PO already added decals, if you want to tastefully dad it up a bit there's a company/guy that's been making reflective decals for the back edge of the bags since the Gen1 came out, they're nearly unnoticeable in the daylight but are immediately visible at night

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-FJR1300-Reflective-Rear-Decals/dp/B00IKSWJH6

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's a nice looking dad bike

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hell yeah, would dad that bike.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm proud of you, son.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I've had my Z400 for 9 months now and thinking of trading it in. When I bought it the plan was to commute to work (3 or 4 miles each way so not much) daily but also take it out for weekend rides for fun. I was tempted by a maxiscoot like a Forza 350 or Xmax but fancied a bike instead as I hadn't ridden for years and riding a bike with gears was what I knew. Fast forward to now and while the Z400 has been faultless, I use it 100% for commuting and 0% for fun so it gets pretty poo poo mpg and the constant traffic lights and gear changing is pissing me off so it seems like a waste of a bike to be used like this. I'm now back to looking at scooters, either smaller like a PCX/NMax or the FOrza 350/XMax 300 again. The big issue here in the UK is there are gently caress all dealers offering test rides now. I requested a test on a bunch of different bikes at my local dealer who sell Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and a few other brands but they haven't got a single Forza 125/350, Xmax 125/300, Nmax, PCX, ADV350 or anything else close to take out for a spin. I can go and sit on a few but zero chance to ride them. Not really sure where I'm going with this, but it's a nightmare trying to buy something at the moment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like the pcx150 a lot, the idle shut-off feature is a marvelous piece of engineering and it has one of the few linked brake setups that don't suck.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I haven’t ridden a ton of big scooters, but you should get a big scooter. I miss my Elite 250 every day, it was way more fun than it had any right to be.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
As in love with my new Bonneville as I am, my scooter is still the better way to get across town in traffic.

A maxi-scooter with tons of storage? Be still, my beating heart.

I hear you on the lack of test rides, though. They seem to be getting rarer and rarer.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

As in love with my new Bonneville as I am, my scooter is still the better way to get across town in traffic.

A maxi-scooter with tons of storage? Be still, my beating heart.

I hear you on the lack of test rides, though. They seem to be getting rarer and rarer.

Lmao isn't that the truth. With the nice weather lately I've been riding the Monkey around town for small errands vs the VStrom for my daily commute.
It's so tiny and responsive. Just perfect in traffic.
I do have a 35L top case on mine but haven't been taking it with me. I basically just go to the dispo and stuff my pockets lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Anyone have any experience with Moto Guzzi’s newer V7 models?