Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, I remember that, or did right after I'd done my first swap because my first old freighter didn't have anything except the stock hyperdrive in it and that worked fine, I got the prompt and everything.

On the second I left it empty again and didn't get the prompt and lost the base. I guess that is a good way to get the odds in your favor though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Should I start this expedition in VR if I haven't really messed around with VR nms yet? Since expeditions usually go through the tutorials etc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Awesome, thanks! I've noticed that the game crashes more now than it ever had before, so I'm glad to see so many fixes related to crashes.

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Anyone having trouble with their freighter trade terminals? I can't interact with any on any save since this update.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Savage Bliss posted:

Anyone having trouble with their freighter trade terminals? I can't interact with any on any save since this update.

Same, no joy with building a new one either. I'm assuming it'll get hotfixed eventually.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've picked NMS up for the first time since 2018, and man the game has improved a lot. For one thing I get more than 20 FPS :v:

I got my first freighter last night, following the advice of "take cash for rescuing the first freighter you find, as the second one you rescue will be a lot bigger" and landed myself a cool gray Venator-like ship... which promptly turned mustard yellow when I teleported away and came back :doh: I might just quickly change my difficulty settings to get the freighter paints for free to fix that bullshit.

How do I get more technology slots for my suit? All the upgrades I've found have been for inventory. Have I just had bad luck?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Icedude posted:

I've picked NMS up for the first time since 2018, and man the game has improved a lot. For one thing I get more than 20 FPS :v:

I got my first freighter last night, following the advice of "take cash for rescuing the first freighter you find, as the second one you rescue will be a lot bigger" and landed myself a cool gray Venator-like ship... which promptly turned mustard yellow when I teleported away and came back :doh: I might just quickly change my difficulty settings to get the freighter paints for free to fix that bullshit.

How do I get more technology slots for my suit? All the upgrades I've found have been for inventory. Have I just had bad luck?

When you get upgrades I think it lets you pick technology or suit. That's how it works in the expo but it's been a while since I could upgrade on my main save.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Savage Bliss posted:

It's ostensibly fixed in experimental

e: which has acquired quite a list of fixes since I looked last

quote:

Experimental Branch 27/02

Fixed an issue in VR that caused the camera to behave incorrectly while in an exocraft.
Fixed a rare crash.

Experimental Branch 25/02

Fixed a bug that caused farmable plants to show incorrectly.
Fixed a crash when flying in atmosphere.

Experimental Branch 24/02

Fixed a crash on boot for machines with integrated GPUs.
Fixed an issue that could cause the Expedition to get stuck in a downloading state.
Fixed a crash entering Abandoned Freighters.
Reenabled tessellation on PS5.
Fixed some stuttering performance issues.
Fixed an issue that caused some bases around portals to no longer be aligned with the ground.
Fixed an issue that caused some metadata used by mods to be stripped.
Fixed an issue that allowed sensitivity to be set to zero.
Reenable recolouring of base objects not associated with a base.

Experimental Branch 23/02

Reduce audio trigger strength on wrist menu in VR.
Fixed an issue that caused controller vibration not to function on PS5.
Fixed an issue with sky rendering on Xbox One.
Fixed an issue that caused the Galactic Trade Room on freighters to be non-interactable.
Fixed a crash that could occur if a lobby had no owner.
Fixed an issue that could prevent discoveries from showing.
Fixed a rare crash.

Experimental Branch 22/02

Fixed an issue that caused ship cockpit screens to flicker.
Fixed a sync buffer crash.
Fixed a rare crash.
Fixed an issue that could cause graphical corruption during warp.
Fixed an issue that prevented system language selection from working correctly.
Fixed a crash when running on Linux OS.

glad I was lazy about portal-base fixing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My game crashes now way more often than my starship ever did. Really looking forward to that patch.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Space stations in particular are very prone to crashing. Holding my breath every time I pop in to sell something because more than half the time after the transaction the second I turn away from the vendor or terminal the game shits its pants.

Unrelated, but is there any particular gain for maxing out the specific reputation requirements for each race/guild? I have the merchant, mercenary and explorer guilds done, along with the Korvax. For the Vy'keen I still need to kill a few sentinel walkers and smuggle a few million units worth of contraband for the Gek but after completing the Korvax one I got nothing. No items or title or anything, unlike for maxing out friendship with all of them. I'm guessing they're all there just so you have something to do?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

Unrelated, but is there any particular gain for maxing out the specific reputation requirements for each race/guild? I have the merchant, mercenary and explorer guilds done, along with the Korvax. For the Vy'keen I still need to kill a few sentinel walkers and smuggle a few million units worth of contraband for the Gek but after completing the Korvax one I got nothing. No items or title or anything, unlike for maxing out friendship with all of them. I'm guessing they're all there just so you have something to do?

For me it was always a balance between being good enough friends, then raiding their freighters if I needed something (frigate modules) and couldn’t be bothered to get it any other way. Or if I wanted to fight it out with sentinel forces and show my rear end to their cruiser futurama-style after shooting off all of its guns.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I never bothered upgrading many of my exocrafts, so as soon as I'm done with this expedition (currently on phase 5), that's what I'm going to focus on.

I want my awesome speeder bike and hulking mech death machine :black101:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Rick posted:

When you get upgrades I think it lets you pick technology or suit. That's how it works in the expo but it's been a while since I could upgrade on my main save.
I had a bit of a time trying to figure this out. It defaults to the inventory section, but you can mouse up to the technology part to install it there, instead. Not very intuitive, but I think in previous versions the UI for tech and inventory were entirely shared, so there might be a technical reason behind it.

As an aside, I think I have to play multiplayer (from the first menu) to be able to get the nexus missions for the new stuff, right? I've been playing single-player and warping in the Anomaly and doing the nexus missions from there, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate any of the Fractal release stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

unruly posted:

I had a bit of a time trying to figure this out. It defaults to the inventory section, but you can mouse up to the technology part to install it there, instead. Not very intuitive, but I think in previous versions the UI for tech and inventory were entirely shared, so there might be a technical reason behind it.

As an aside, I think I have to play multiplayer (from the first menu) to be able to get the nexus missions for the new stuff, right? I've been playing single-player and warping in the Anomaly and doing the nexus missions from there, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate any of the Fractal release stuff.

You need to talk to the Quicksilver vendor. The twitch drops and rewards from the expedition are available there, not through the nexus.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Also to actually unlock the Fractal helmet/ship you need to do the Expedition, which requires starting a new save with the Expedition game type. Once they're unlocked you can get them from the Quicksilver vendor in any save.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Rick posted:

unruly posted:

That would explain why I couldn't find any technology upgrades then, thanks!

Also I've logged in today and my freighter has changed colours again, and is now blue. It's still grey on the inventory screen. I haven't moved it since getting it and the lighting in the system it's in is neither of those colours :psyduck:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Icedude posted:

Also I've logged in today and my freighter has changed colours again, and is now blue. It's still grey on the inventory screen. I haven't moved it since getting it and the lighting in the system it's in is neither of those colours :psyduck:

I've seen this happen before on multiplayer, where freighters were one colour for one player, and one for another.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It’s a Mood Ship, changes color depending on how it’s feeling. :v:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Icedude posted:

That would explain why I couldn't find any technology upgrades then, thanks!
No problem. It's a little convoluted, and I ended up getting a bunch of suit/ship storage before I watched some nameless youtube video of someone just... selecting the space in the technology area. The upshot is that I have plenty of suit storage.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

ughhhh posted:

Should I start this expedition in VR if I haven't really messed around with VR nms yet? Since expeditions usually go through the tutorials etc.

Yes, this is a fairly low-key expedition, so it's a good opportunity to get into the VR. NMS VR is pretty great at this point, it used to be jank as gently caress but since 4.0 it's been smoothed out considerably.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1630933276490702849?t=9TfnLz8xir1W1dkh_NSpHQ&s=19

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Fixes for the trade room on the freighter and some of the various crashes (I'm on SteamDeck) look to be great improvements.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Patch seems good so far. Freigher trade terminal works and I'm not crashing as often.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
My portal base came back too, which is nice.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

And has anyone gotten speech to text to work? Playing it in VR so no keyboard. Can't find anything about this online, only regular voice chat.

I have it enabled in the game. Tried talking when hanging out in the space anomaly, and when I did my first multiplayer mission, but it didn't seem to work.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I had some wild bug that made my ship keep doing vertical loops in the atmosphere. Might have had something to do with steam. But when I restarted the game to see if that alone would fix it, I had a debug menu, but, unfortunately I couldn't click on anything in it because the problem was probably caused by steam big picture.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Whatever generic FidelityFX-like option was available under TAA in the graphics settings, it's gone now. FidelityFX is all there is, and it doesn't run nearly as well as the old setting, and it also has this weird graphical glitch where the top left quarter of the screen is often pixelated.

Granted, I'm on an old machine I put together in 2013 :toot:, and I'm sure my sad edge case can take a hike, but dang it, I'd made my peace with this game's mostly-ok performance.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 4, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Driving a vehicle then switching between inside/outside view launches me into spaaaaaacce!!!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm still kind of new to the game. I visited another players base I saw on the list of player bases at the anomaly portal, and saw that other players had built bases on the same planet.

Are there any designated planets where lots of players go to build bases for a co-op experience? Is the galactic hub the thing I should be checking out for that?

I'd love to be on a planet where i'm encountering other players.

Also, killing sentinels with your minotaur helping you, looks pretty awesome in VR.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It is happening again.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1643011535650824195?t=hk2DlGIyYr5Hhjs7vN1lng&s=19

Actually surprised at how soon this update is happening, if it is one.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Hmmm maybe it's the ship from Event Horizon

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Origami Dali posted:

Hmmm maybe it's the ship from Event Horizon

If that's right, they might be implementing the freighter black hole drive from the previous expedition.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No man's sky 2 is going to just drop out of nowhere one of these days

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

That's the horny emoji, maybe pilots will be able to sire children

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I hope it's an update to the Abandoned Frigate missions to make them actually interesting/difficult/scary

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/RayReynoldsNMS/status/1643211970701586436?s=19

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Procedurally generated horns, the kind you blow, one in every system

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
they're going to let you kill polo

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I hope it's an update to the Abandoned Frigate missions to make them actually interesting/difficult/scary

I hope if this happens it also adds an Abandoned Frigate style dungeon to abandoned stations. It's kinda bizarre to me that those aren't already a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They're gonna let you get space married and have a space baby