Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Thank you Lockback, CarForumPoster, and Dik Hz. I was the applicant in this situation, and thought it was extremely weird to be asked for references before any real interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Spambort posted:

follow up from last month. i got a job offer finally from a small satellite company, $85K salary with 40-60 hour onsite work week expected. Seems like a demanding job at the moment but so far I intend on accepting and roughing it out til i get a year experience or get something else since I have zero EE work experience. It's a broad EE position with the expectation to wear many hats so I gotta brush up and ensure I dont get fired day 1. Thanks for all the help!

Way to go! That sounds like a good resume job to have.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I have a Zoom interview tomorrow, and I'm wondering what the rule of thumb is for having a cup of coffee.

I've only ever done one other Zoom interview, and that was with someone in HR who showed up in a hoodie, so it seems like rules are all over the place. For tomorrow, I'm meeting with 4 higher-ups simultaneously, and it's in pharm/healthcare.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I think you're completely overthinking it, but I've never been in charge of hiring anyone, so maybe drinking liquids on camera has been tanking my chances all along and I never knew.

That said, if it's something that its going to throw you off, why even have it anyway? You should be as comfortable as possible during what is a fairly stressful situation, so just take your weird coffee-hangup out of the equation entirely.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Red posted:

I have a Zoom interview tomorrow, and I'm wondering what the rule of thumb is for having a cup of coffee.

I've only ever done one other Zoom interview, and that was with someone in HR who showed up in a hoodie, so it seems like rules are all over the place. For tomorrow, I'm meeting with 4 higher-ups simultaneously, and it's in pharm/healthcare.

Its normal to have the same beverages you'd have in an actual interview. Coffee, water, etc.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

If they would disqualify a candidate for drinking coffee on camera, do you really want to work there? Bring coffee to give your hand something to do and make you feel at ease, and also to filter them out if they’re lame about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd recommend a cup of coffee if it makes you slightly more at ease. I never have concerns about something like a drink or a fidget or whatever. And I'm usually in a hoodie when conducting interviews.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Also a cool mug can be a great conversation starter!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 10, 2024

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Dik Hz posted:

Asking for references up front is the norm for academia and bleeds over to the real world of you put phds in charge of hiring.

In reality that’s a lovely thing to do because your best candidates will be managing their references and they won’t like having to do that in advance of an interview.

One situation where that's less relevant is if you have regular contact with your reference, say a colleague at a job you're still working and wanting to leave. I've asked a senior level colleague if I could use them as a reference, generally, and they agreed. I list him on my usajobs.gov profile and he's aware someone might call generally in the near future. I make sure to include them in emails about my milestones at work, so when he has to speak on my behalf, he'll already have the rough strokes. YMMV, not everyone is as cool as this guy, but it's worth considering if you might have someone like that

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Leon Sumbitches posted:

One situation where that's less relevant is if you have regular contact with your reference, say a colleague at a job you're still working and wanting to leave. I've asked a senior level colleague if I could use them as a reference, generally, and they agreed. I list him on my usajobs.gov profile and he's aware someone might call generally in the near future. I make sure to include them in emails about my milestones at work, so when he has to speak on my behalf, he'll already have the rough strokes. YMMV, not everyone is as cool as this guy, but it's worth considering if you might have someone like that
This is broadly what I do, and since I'm lucky enough to have made good friends in the field I just throw 'em a message on whatever chat to tell them that they may hear from whatever company I am applying to soon.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

dpkg chopra posted:

I think you're completely overthinking it, but I've never been in charge of hiring anyone, so maybe drinking liquids on camera has been tanking my chances all along and I never knew.

That said, if it's something that its going to throw you off, why even have it anyway? You should be as comfortable as possible during what is a fairly stressful situation, so just take your weird coffee-hangup out of the equation entirely.

Honestly, I'd be more comfortable with the coffee, so I like the take that a company that would look down on drinking coffee during a call isn't one worth working for.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Red posted:

Honestly, I'd be more comfortable with the coffee, so I like the take that a company that would look down on drinking coffee during a call isn't one worth working for.

Update: The interview went well, and the coffee was a non-thing, given that the audio for the video interview didn't work, and I had to do it on my phone.

Interestingly, one of the questions that came up: "How did you prepare for this interview?"

Answer: I had researched their company website and products, and taken notes on them and prepared answers for their questions. I literally held up my printed notes.

After that, I felt like I was in the driver's seat.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Someone who actually takes time to learn about my boring-rear end company is my #1 "This doesn't actually make you more qualified for the job but makes me way more likely to hire you" secret-code trick.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lockback posted:

Someone who actually takes time to learn about my boring-rear end company is my #1 "This doesn't actually make you more qualified for the job but makes me way more likely to hire you" secret-code trick.

It's not a qualification for the job as much as for success at any activity.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Its mostly that I really want to work with people who give a poo poo or at least can make me think they do. That's a good way to signal that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lockback posted:

Its mostly that I really want to work with people who give a poo poo or at least can make me think they do. That's a good way to signal that.

the ability to figure out what other people are likely to want and then go do that without being told to do it is pretty underrated

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm actually usually disappointed when I do a bunch of research on a company and nobody asks about it in the interview. Sometimes I'll try to crowbar some of that in the conversation anyways. Like, "well it says on your website that one of your five core values is 'teamwork' and so example X was where I really got to demonstrate that." Or "like your founder, J. Smithington Smythe said in 1876...".

I just converted my resume to text-only, just in case it's ATS-unfriendly and now it's really uggo. Does that matter? I assume a human being has to still look at it.

It went from this:

To this:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the ability to figure out what other people are likely to want and then go do that without being told to do it is pretty underrated

George Costanza was not that man.

Is being good at this indicative of a bright future in sales or some form of bootlicking? Smithers may not be happy, but he's got job security and a nice paycheck.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm actually usually disappointed when I do a bunch of research on a company and nobody asks about it in the interview. Sometimes I'll try to crowbar some of that in the conversation anyways. Like, "well it says on your website that one of your five core values is 'teamwork' and so example X was where I really got to demonstrate that." Or "like your founder, J. Smithington Smythe said in 1876...".

I like when people chime in "Hey you won so and so award for AI/ML use, can you tell me more about that?". I've mentioned before but getting me talking as an interviewer is a good way to get me to like you more. People just like talking.

Seventh Arrow posted:

It went from this:

To this:

Don't send in that 2nd one. Humans still look at it and that 2nd one gives a horrid first impression. Your first resume seems perfectly ATS friendly. I maybe have a couple comments on your resume content if you'd like but the formating itself is fine.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Lockback posted:

I maybe have a couple comments on your resume content if you'd like but the formating itself is fine.

Absolutely, go for it!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Seventh Arrow posted:

Absolutely, go for it!

You are dedicating a full 3rd of your resume to educational activities that happened 5-6 years ago. You can probably summarize that entire section as "WeCloudData Jun 2017-Jul 2018" and 1 or 2 bullet points

Your two most interesting sections are your jobs at fusionSpan and the BE SWE at Manulife and those are your smallest for some reason. Flesh those out. You have some decent stuff there but ideally if you can tie it to some larger business processes/outcomes it will help. I'd maybe spend a little time explaining how you work, did you work in a larger team, do you have agile experience, etc.

I'd like to see more on those two jobs, and you can cutback on the Dataengineer details at Manulife, everything after that first bullet point doesn't actually read very data engineery. It's not bad but it just isn't really helping. If you need more space just leave the first point.

List Python earlier in your proficiencies. It would probably help if you had a github with some python examples. Maybe your senior enough to not need to but if you can prove you can 1. Write Python well 2. gently caress around effectively in Hadoop and 3. Brave the Salesforce Mines and come out Alive then I would assume you can start writing your own tickets here, but it'd be nice to see some more proof.

Its a resume with some good stuff! You just need a little tweaking on what is being focused on.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Thank you, those are some great points. A few things:
  • The Manulife DE position has some of the most 'Data Engineer-y' things I've done (building ETL pipelines, etc.), but you're right, the resume isn't showcasing it very well
  • BUT if I can reduce the Education stuff to one line each then that could give me more room to expand on the DE position
  • The BE SWE was more of a support position and I have to kind of mangle the descriptions to make it sound like I was doing more impactful stuff
  • not a github, but I am working on some projects to post on my blog so that way I can showcase popular technologies that I don't have working experience with - Spark, Airflow, Snowflake, etc.

I also realize that, as per above, I need to emphasize more that I did a lot of these things on my own initiative without being told to do so.

Thanks for the tips, though! Your advice is great!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think your entire eduction section can be reduced to a single bullet point or two (I care WAY more about that you've been doing the last few years vs what you learned in school 6 years ago). But yeah, otherwise you seem to have the right idea. If there's better stuff in Manulife, add it. And personally I love when people are showing off geeky projects, its the best resume fluff there is.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

It doesn’t matter how ATS friendly your resume is, they’re still going to make you copy paste it into 100 different text boxes as part of the application.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

It doesn’t matter how ATS friendly your resume is, they’re still going to make you copy paste it into 100 different text boxes as part of the application.

This is extremely triggering.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Whenever I see a job application that uses Workday, I let out a huge sigh and ask myself if I really want that job that badly.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

My resume only exists in PDF format. If some place can only handle Word documents, they aren't getting me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ultrafilter posted:

My resume only exists in PDF format. If some place can only handle Word documents, they aren't getting me.

This seems like a smart choice with no obvious negative consequences

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I have applied to hundreds of jobs and have never seen a website that takes Word files but not PDFs.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Everywhere I applied recently took a pdf and then made me copy paste it into text boxes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Everywhere I applied recently took a pdf and then made me copy paste it into text boxes.

How is this a thing in 2023?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There must be some new cheap HR software that doesn't read PDFs

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Eric the Mauve posted:

There must be some new cheap HR software that doesn't read PDFs

We’ve autofilled your application for you. It looks like you worked as a Designed RF Schematics doing 2020 from the years of C++ to California, with an Engineering in Master of Science.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I particularly enjoy the ones that do copy the pdf text but break it up into newlines at random or separate the same block of text into new separate experience sections.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I don’t apply to places that make you retype, if that’s how they treat incoming people it must be the tech debt circle of hell inside.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Erwin posted:

If they would disqualify a candidate for drinking coffee on camera, do you really want to work there? Bring coffee to give your hand something to do and make you feel at ease, and also to filter them out if they’re lame about it.

I'd interview a lot of teenagers for food server positions, often their first job. There was a coffee, tea water station in the lobby and after I'd confirmed they'd shown up on time I would introduce myself and tell them to help themselves while I went to go prepare the interview space.

Before leaving I'd smile and say, "Seriously grab a drink if you want, it's not a test." Most of the time that was a good icebreaker to loosen them up.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Beefeater1980 posted:

I have a job offer confirmed and they are taking their time telling me the money. It’s a week and change now.

The cognitive dissonance from doing my job well every day as if I were going to do it forever and hoping I get a good offer so I don’t have to do it any more is driving me mad like an Edgar Allen Poe protagonist.

The Telltale HR.

So hey my telltale HR friend (or as I call it, Schroedinger's job offer), did you ever get closure on that?

I did finally get an offer after 23 days, so there's always hope.

Devonaut fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 5, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

This seems like a smart choice with no obvious negative consequences

depends on the community. academia (and a lot of research centric fields) wouldn’t demand a word doc over a pdf.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

pmchem posted:

depends on the community. academia (and a lot of research centric fields) wouldn’t demand a word doc over a pdf.

Well of course! Academia! All of academia would never make such arbitrary distinctions. That field that's well known for its reasonable and legal hiring practices.

Oh whats that PhD candidate Zhao? You can't work 80 hours this week for a flat rate of $12/hr? Well you might not make it then. Why arent you publishing more?

As industries go for bullshit, arcane, and idiotic hiring practices academia is like third behind non-chain hospitality and tow truck driving.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer
So what does an interviewer actually see? The text boxes or the pdf/word?