Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
tár is one of the few american films in recent memory that takes on the austere, festival style of like a michael haneke or christian petzold, so I'm not surprised at the gap between critic and audience reception since the kinds of films that have been doing well financially, like superhero movies and eeaao, are stylistically the complete opposite of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Simplex posted:

The prison scene is a pretty good example of how not to make this kind of movie. It's edited so poorly that you can pretty clearly see how each shot is done. Then at some point they just kind of gave up with doing practical effects at all, and the scene just keeps looking worse and worse.

I think it's funny how upset you are that a bad and silly movie also has some not great editing and effects. "Pfft, that twin that lives in a picnic basket looks like a rubber puppet." It's a very dumb and very fun movie, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

poo poo dude. 1923 is loving goooooooood

putting on I Used to be Famous

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 27, 2023

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Tar is one of my favorite movies from the last few years, and I particularly loved how much is just alluded to. All the minotaur imagery is particularly good, too, and all the classical music insider baseball was so fun. Also, the theme and variation structure, where you get to see not only all the ways she's abusive to people, but all the ways people react to, or even support her abuse, is super satisfying (the cello audition scene, where you realize everyone else knows it's just a front for her grooming, was amazing).

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Tar is one of my favorite movies from the last few years, and I particularly loved how much is just alluded to. All the minotaur imagery is particularly good, too, and all the classical music insider baseball was so fun. Also, the theme and variation structure, where you get to see not only all the ways she's abusive to people, but all the ways people react to, or even support her abuse, is super satisfying (the cello audition scene, where you realize everyone else knows it's just a front for her grooming, was amazing).

can you explain the minotaur bit? think I need to watch it again.

the ending was amazing

being directed to a brothel, showing how her reputation as a sex pest followed her all the way around the world

having to conduct to a click track after she opens the movie with a self serving monologue about her power as a conductor to manipulate tempo

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

(the cello audition scene, where you realize everyone else knows it's just a front for her grooming, was amazing).

I dug Tar, but the scene where she watches the video of the cello player as a 13 year old was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

A MIRACLE posted:

can you explain the minotaur bit? think I need to watch it again.

I googled this because I could swear I'd read an interview with either Blanchett or Field mentioning it but now I wonder if it was just something I saw mentioned elsewhere. I feel like it still applies though - obviously you have the maze imagery, as well as Minotar (lol), but also the Minotaur (a monster!) ate people, just as she (functionally) does, along with the way she's essentially trapped in her own world, which is even reflected in the set design, with lots of spare, square spaces. Her kid's room made me laugh - the rest of the house is sparse, brutal concrete, and then her kid's room is the same but there are little child drawings taped onto the prison-like walls.

A MIRACLE posted:

being directed to a brothel, showing how her reputation as a sex pest followed her all the way around the world

I also feel like she's repulsed by how her habits are laid out plain for her, instead of obfuscated by the complicated institutional-level grooming mechanism she's put in place, which allows her to pretend she's not taking advantage of people.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

re tár, also the "fishbowl" where you choose your sex worker was laid out kinda like an orchestra, and I think #5, the one who looks at her, was basically in the spot where she had been looking at the new cello girl.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
To add a bit to the TÁR talk, here's a Letterboxd review which points out stuff you might have missed. I'm a pretty careful movie watcher but even I missed the Bernstein thing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Martman posted:

re tár, also the "fishbowl" where you choose your sex worker was laid out kinda like an orchestra, and I think #5, the one who looks at her, was basically in the spot where she had been looking at the new cello girl.

Another thing is the movie starts with these super long shots, like the lecture hall, where she is still in control of everything. And when she starts losing it the pacing becomes more and more frenetic with more frequent cuts

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bird in a Blender posted:

Are there actual Troma movies on Peacock? I would sign up just for that.

Troma movies I didn't know they made due to how bad they are no Toxic Avenger

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It’s very possible I was a bit too high to understand everything Tár was doing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't want to watch Tár until I'm in the mental state Acid Bath called "apocalyptic high"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

It’s very possible I was a bit too high to understand everything Tár was doing.
honestly, no, not really.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't want to watch Tár until I'm in the mental state Acid Bath called "apocalyptic high"

This is also a good state for watching Mandy.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

poo poo dude. 1923 is loving goooooooood

putting on I Used to be Famous

1883 and 1923 being better than the source material is v funny to me

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Class Warcraft posted:

I don't think I want to watch someone get roasted while I'm toasted.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

1883 and 1923 being better than the source material is v funny to me

I still haven’t watched Yellowstone and I probably never will lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Class Warcraft posted:

Related: the best movie to watch while high as gently caress, at least from this decade, is The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent. It shattered me into tiny pieces and put me back together like kintsugi

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

To add a bit to the TÁR talk, here's a Letterboxd review which points out stuff you might have missed. I'm a pretty careful movie watcher but even I missed the Bernstein thing.

The Bernstein thing was great. I feel like that also shows up in her Julliard scene, where she has the down-to-earth raconteur energy Bernstein had, but instead of using it to create a teachable moment about the universality of music, she bullies a nonbinary person out of her no-males-allowed classroom. It’s like the opposite of everything Bernstein stood for.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
One of the Physical 100 finalists broke his silence to confirm that the finale was basically rigged, they made him re-film it 3 times and he only lost on the 3rd attempt.
https://m.ilyo.co.kr/?ac=article_view&entry_id=447810

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I'm watching Parenthood (1989) and there's a school shooting scene that they play for laughs lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's depressing to think that there was a time within our own lifetimes that mass shootings were so uncommon that you could make jokes about "going postal" or whatever and no one would bat an eye. Like, it was literally called "going postal" for what 20+ years because the main frame of reference was 1 postal employee that shot like 3 people, which would barely even make the news today. That's just a Tuesday.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

It's depressing to think that there was a time within our own lifetimes that mass shootings were so uncommon that you could make jokes about "going postal" or whatever and no one would bat an eye. Like, it was literally called "going postal" for what 20+ years because the main frame of reference was 1 postal employee that shot like 3 people, which would barely even make the news today. That's just a Tuesday.

Yeah, the CineD movie of the month is Demon Knight and there's the whole thing where they find the postman character has a stash of explosives because he was upset he got fired and it's the only part of the film that's aged kinda weird.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
In the beginning of Heathers, Christian Slater pulls out a gun in the middle of school and fires (a blank round) at a bully, and as far as I can tell faces no consequences?
Then of course there’s also, y’know, the rest of Heathers.
~Teenage suicide! (don’t do it!)~

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Papercut posted:

One of the Physical 100 finalists broke his silence to confirm that the finale was basically rigged, they made him re-film it 3 times and he only lost on the 3rd attempt.
https://m.ilyo.co.kr/?ac=article_view&entry_id=447810

man what a bummer. Def left a sour taste at the end.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Hopefully we get a non-bad American Gladiators reboot on a streamer now.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Production drama in a Korean reality show why I never.

That's too bad though I watched a few episodes recently and I was digging it. Still haven't seen anyone top The Genius though.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Man I miss The Genius

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
A couple of canceled shows that I recently rewatched:

The Grinder - I feel like Fred Savage and Rob Lowe are at their most Fred and Rob-est and it's great. It's not an outright parody of courtroom drama shows but definitely uses them for humor.

Ash vs. Evil Dead - If you like any of the Raimi Evil Dead movies, you must watch it. Super campy, ridiculous, creative, and over the top. If you read the content warnings on IMDB I feel like every episode says "the most violent episode yet". It doesn't get a chance to fully wrap up at the end, but it wraps up as much as any of the Evil Dead movies did.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

watching Chernobyl

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Glottis posted:

A couple of canceled shows that I recently rewatched:

The Grinder - I feel like Fred Savage and Rob Lowe are at their most Fred and Rob-est and it's great. It's not an outright parody of courtroom drama shows but definitely uses them for humor.

Ash vs. Evil Dead - If you like any of the Raimi Evil Dead movies, you must watch it. Super campy, ridiculous, creative, and over the top. If you read the content warnings on IMDB I feel like every episode says "the most violent episode yet". It doesn't get a chance to fully wrap up at the end, but it wraps up as much as any of the Evil Dead movies did.

Ash’s last season felt a little rushed, but I’m mostly okay with how it ended.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

watching Chernobyl

I like that it starts on a massive bummer to let you know what you’re in for

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

watching Chernobyl

I just watched this a week or two ago, absolutely phenomenal.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

A MIRACLE posted:

watching Chernobyl

Such a great show. That and first season of the Terror was an incredible 1-2 from Jared Harris. I finally watched Andor and it was cool seeing I think four Chernobyl actors in it so if he doesn't show up in season 2 I will be very disappointed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Glottis posted:

If it had been on a service anybody watched, maybe we would've gotten a good wrap-up season.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I dug The Terror but I heard Chernobyl was very cornily anti-soviet.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

yeah, they try really hard to elevate the "regular russian people" but make all the party officials look like idiots

i still like it, on the last ep now

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
They do, but I didn't take it as anti-soviet. More an accurate reflection of decision-making in the halls of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Craig Mazin thinks it's powerfully anti-Soviet, but it's really not.