Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Every once in a while I think "I liked Transformers as a kid. I like Platinum games. I should give Transformers Devastation another shot."

It's always cool for a little while, then I get to a page of loot I picked up, think "Oh yeah..." and uninstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1630369203696926720?s=46&t=7FeexW2ehdhZShsGjGGtaQ

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Full games are just demos that you have to go through the trouble of refunding.

Aces & Adventures is a poker-based Slay the Spire-esque roguelike wh... no, not that one.

Presentation's top notch on this, but if you already fell in love with Poker Quest, I'm not sure if you have room for two games with incredibly similar themes. I think this one embraces the poker side a little bit more relative to the roguelike? As for me, it's entertaining enough that I'll hold onto it... and then inevitably forget about after 1-2 runs like I did for actual Slay the Spire, which I will get back to Any Day Now, For Real This Time. Aces & Adventures is 20% off for release on Steam (though I think it might be 35% off on GameBillet).

Several years ago, I played a demo version of Clone Drone in the Danger Zone at a small gaming convention with sort of arcade-y vibes in NYC. I figured I'd get around to at least trying out the full version some day, and lo and behold, today I saw it was 45% off on Steam. Clone Drone in the Danger Zone is an arena fighter where you play as a human mind uploaded to a robot body and thrown into a gladiatorial arena, fighting for brief reprieves and upgrades, until you inevitably die. The game doesn't take itself seriously at all, and revels in everyone (you, computer-based enemies, other players) exploding into voxel chunks, with the announcer bots gleefully mocking you the whole time. I found it to be a little too easy to die at the slightest breeze, but if you're better at it than I am, it's a fun experience. Kind of like MEATGRINDER for me, in that it's a very cool game that I have no interest in ever playing again. Seems like it would be especially hilarious to play while drunk and hanging out with friends over Discord, but I'll leave that to the experts.

So a couple of days ago we were talking about Severed Steel and it's 50% off, so I figured I'd try it. Did not click at all. I'm chalking this one up to me being Warframe-brained even after several years of not playing it, and therefore specifically used to how all of this game's highlighted mechanics worked in that instead.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 28, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Omi no Kami posted:

<snip Demon’s/DS 1 comparisons to later Souls games>
I felt like I was allowed to make more than one mistake without being pounded into paste by whatever enemy I'd been chipping away at for three minutes…
…a really decent balance of danger and survivability that souls lost track of along the way.

:emptyquote:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

drat this is the best free game
https://i.imgur.com/Ia91OuX.mp4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barreft posted:

drat this is the best free game
https://i.imgur.com/Ia91OuX.mp4

Unbelievable

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Mark me down as another than glanced off of Octopath 1 and was almost instantly enamored with OT2. Can’t quite tell if it’s just down to the characters I chose or if it’s all the little gameplay things but so far (like 5 hours) in I really adore it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Moonlight rules
sound
https://streamable.com/n99vwq

incredible game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barreft posted:

Moonlight rules
sound

incredible game.

Gross

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Barreft posted:

Moonlight rules
sound

incredible game.

idgi, it's a harry potter game?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think it's a low effort troll to get some pearl clutching out of the thread

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
:rolleyes:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

explosivo posted:

Yeah it's far from perfect but a much better game than Heat. I honestly don't understand why Unbound did so much worse than Heat critically, people clung onto the bad story and the cringe dialog which is definitely A Thing but it's easily ignored. You can do the 10 hours through EA Play trial dealie if you have gamepass, I spent about 3-4 hours in that trial then decided to buy it and didn't regret it.

if by "easily ignored" you mean turning down the voice slider to 0, then yes. Theres still a lot of talking going on constantly. Still has VO ducking unfortunately. I honestly do not see how NFS stories are "worse" as any other racing games. Forza is equally cringe and they all swim in the same sea of unbearable bad writing that takes time away from driving fast.

I agree however that Unbound is an overall good NFS game and a better one as many from the recent years.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I learned from a news update in my home screen that The Outer Worlds is getting a repackaged version next week that includes the DLCs, a slight visual upgrade and some weather effects, and if you already own the game and the DLCs, you can get this update for a mere $10.

And it's $10, so it's not exactly the end of the world, but boy, charging your best fans money for a performance patch/texture mod sure does feel grody.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

CarlCX posted:

I learned from a news update in my home screen that The Outer Worlds is getting a repackaged version next week that includes the DLCs, a slight visual upgrade and some weather effects, and if you already own the game and the DLCs, you can get this update for a mere $10.

And it's $10, so it's not exactly the end of the world, but boy, charging your best fans money for a performance patch/texture mod sure does feel grody.

I don't mind the price but I just don't have much desire to revisit Outer Worlds despite enjoying it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CarlCX posted:

I don't know that I'd pay :10bux: for a chance to play the game again. I wrote up a rather wordy review on my blog if anyone cares but it was a 3/5 for me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I remember also bouncing off Nioh at first, because I was playing it as if it was a soulslike game and I was already sick of those by the time Nioh came out, until a friend of mine directed me to a guide video showing off all the cool things you could do in it that the game itself didn't explain very well and it hooked me back in.

It's basically a Ninja Gaiden game wearing a crude paper mask of a soulslike.
Even stamina bar, that's otherwise iconic to the subgenre, is completely irrelevant in Nioh once you learn how to Flux/Double Flux.
Learning how to use the Divination Talisman and the Bow to just difguse att the bullshit traps and enemy placements also improved my enjoyment of the game immensely. It's fairly easy to avoid the trap on your very first try if you can clearly see it.
The loot system does suck but the game also gives you tools to ignore it. Just sell everything that's no purple/green then wear whatever has the bigger number.

The actual combat part of this game is fantastic because all of the weapons have massive novelists and you also get a big list of cool magic and ninja tools to use in conjunction, even more so in Nioh 2.

That's why I am so disappointed with what I saw about Wo Long. While game looks like alternating mashing X and Y and occasionally parrying with B, with absolutely no interesting mechanics or tech.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

when someone says the loot system in nioh sucks, it always means "i bought a loot game despite hating loot games and then willingly refused to engage with the mechanics of the loot system."

oh and, inevitably someone chimes in with "i don't want 10000 items that all have 0.001% better stats" and proves the fact that they don't know how Nioh's loot system works and are just parroting poo poo they saw online

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 28, 2023

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I somehow missed that Larian dropped a release date trailer for Baldur’s Gate 3 the other day. Launches August 31, 2023. Early access buyers get the digital deluxe upgrade for free.

Always love hearing some J.K. Simmons:

https://youtu.be/Ks-KF9iueE0

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

when someone says the loot system in nioh sucks, it always means "i bought a loot game despite hating loot games and then willingly refused to engage with the mechanics of the loot system."

oh and, inevitably someone chimes in with "i don't want 10000 items that all have 0.001% better stats" and proves the fact that they don't know how Nioh's loot system works and are just parroting poo poo they saw online

The loot is complete cruft before NG+ when you don't have the ability to put together a coherent set with meaningful buffs and item level raises every mission, which obsoletes anything you try to put together in an hour.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the Hogwarts Legacy crack was made by an even more psychotic transphobe than JK Rowling so i think it's only fair i show my objection to this by purchasing Hogwarts Legacy

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The loot is complete cruft before NG+ when you don't have the ability to put together a coherent set with meaningful buffs and item level raises every mission, which obsoletes anything you try to put together in an hour.

yes and this is also true of diablo, grim dawn, and almost every other ARPG with more than one difficulty level but nioh is the game people always scream about gutting the whole loot system out of

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the Hogwarts Legacy crack was made by an even more psychotic transphobe than JK Rowling so i think it's only fair i show my objection to this by purchasing Hogwarts Legacy

It's the only sensible thing to do.

That bg3 trailer really is terrible, I can't imagine anyone deciding to buy it on the strength of that but I suspect they will still do ok lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

yes and this is also true of diablo, grim dawn, and almost every other ARPG with more than one difficulty level but nioh is the game people always scream about gutting the whole loot system out of

I can't think of anything that might attract someone to nioh instead of games from an entirely different genre either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

sebmojo posted:

It's the only sensible thing to do.

That bg3 trailer really is terrible, I can't imagine anyone deciding to buy it on the strength of that but I suspect they will still do ok lol

Holy poo poo it really is an astonishingly bad trailer!

But... yeah! I've been keen to get it but was not going to do so until it got out of early access, and I've heard lots of good things about it that the trailer does not in any way appear to show!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

It didn’t grab me either, but I had fun with part of the first act 2+ years ago. I am looking forward to seeing the final product. I have stayed in the dark with updates so far.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's unfortunate that Larian is stuck with actually having to use the god awful D&D system for their new game, but from what I've read of some of the patch notes so far they seem to at least be taking steps to mitigate some of the D&D awfulness, and I guess they did get a much larger budget this time too.

Topping what Original Sin 2 has accomplished will be difficult but hopefully they'll manage.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

2D Outer Wilds

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ragequit posted:

It didn’t grab me either, but I had fun with part of the first act 2+ years ago. I am looking forward to seeing the final product. I have stayed in the dark with updates so far.

Oh yeah it's gonna sell gangbusters, I have the EA but I'm waiting for release.

And 5e is fine, if not that exciting, with two years of tweaking it's gonna be really fun I think

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Larian really seem to get what makes tabletop gaming so fun. Give the players a ton of options, let them improvise and do creative stuff. Helps that a lot of Larian folks actually play TTRPGs.

The D:OS games came close to evoking the same feeling at times. I think it's limited what you can do within the bounds of a videogame but I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do on their third attempt.

They can't write a gripping narrative but I'm hoping the npcs are at least ok. Looking forward to it!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Nice

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1630478058103734274

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Looks like a kid's game.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i was kinda hoping they wouldn't release any DLC just to truly fatally dunk on all modern game devs but i'm hype to fight Miquella, Blood-Gorged God-Child

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ShadowMar posted:

Nioh 1 was kind of bad about it until you got to endgame, but Nioh 2 introduced set stats on every type of item which made it actually possible to get a real build rolling early-on. By the time I was on like the third mission I had a cobbled-together item set that gave me like +60% damage VS poisoned enemies combined with a bunch of skills that could poison stuff-- it's a loot game, but it's a well-designed loot game where items frequently have interesting effects that encourage you to build your character a certain way

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

Larian really seem to get what makes tabletop gaming so fun. Give the players a ton of options, let them improvise and do creative stuff. Helps that a lot of Larian folks actually play TTRPGs.

The D:OS games came close to evoking the same feeling at times. I think it's limited what you can do within the bounds of a videogame but I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do on their third attempt.

They can't write a gripping narrative but I'm hoping the npcs are at least ok. Looking forward to it!
I played through D:OS 2 with a friend over the course of months, we just generally did a big encounter or two a day. It had tremendous tabletop campaign energy that way, given we'd usually stumble upon some new dumb sidequest with goofy NPCs most sessions. Was a lot of fun, we barely had any planned synergy, just took stuff that sounded cool (I played a buff/debuff-heavy "cleric" and a sneak-attack thief, friend went fighter and summoner). Had that feeling of Game Night.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finished atomic heart. will have more to say about it tomorrow maybe (along with march games list) but some quick bullet points

+ mostly fun, if repetitive combat
+ beautiful art direction
+ some bizarre story beats that are interesting to gawk at (everything that happens when Molotov shows up in person, for example)
+ nice selection and usage of music
+ granny zina
+ testing grounds are interesting way to test your understanding of the general mechanics

- bafflingly unnecessary open-world that feels pointless, they maybe should have just had it be one giant facility where you go from wing to wing rather than getting in a car for 3-4 minutes just to get to the next place you'll be in for 2-3 hours
- a desire for plot twists that goes beyond Bioshock and into 2K's XCOM: The Bureau territory
- no imm-sim potential at all. powers are all combat-oriented. no teleport, no cloak, nothing like that. all the "Shock" stuff is pure set dressing, aesthetic only
- not a huge fan of "boss that becomes a regular enemy later on" which happens a number of times in the game
- the pavlov building where the tune will stop, and then start back up again, then stop, then start back up again
- they still haven't fixed the subtitles yet

~ much like an Ubisoft game, it is 'non-political' in the sense that it walks towards a political message and then backs off. it is critical of the soviet union and its imperialism, critical of the Internet, critical of the concept of a singularity.... but trades that all in for a saturday morning villain right at the end (although tbf, the plot was getting saturday morning cartoon already). it also lampoons neural network/AI concepts... for example the scientists in the game have a "Radio of the Future" which uses the neural network to 'predict' future music, as an excuse for Mundfish to license all sorts of songs from different eras (60s, 80s, 2000s, etc), but this also works as a joke on AI 'creative' tools stealing the work of others

~ the english dub gives the protagonist too much "tude" and it doesn't really fit the character which is probably why so many reviewers disliked him. i didn't mind him, but the english dub is pretty campy

~ ending is dumb. i won't consider it a plus or minus but just expect a dumb ending is all i'm saying

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 28, 2023

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

hell ya

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

finished atomic heart. will have more to say about it tomorrow maybe (along with march games list) but some quick bullet points

I'm quite close to the end, but Granny Zina bugs me for some reason. Feels like they just tried to come up with a whacky unlikely character and expects the player to not question it but instead just shrug and say, "Okay".

I wouldn't be bothered by the open world stuff if there weren't an infinite number of Repair Drones flying around fixing all the loving Cameras I shoot out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

is there a game that has lore presentation like darksouls or elden ring....but has a completely different combat system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jossar posted:

Full games are just demos that you have to go through the trouble of refunding.

Aces & Adventures is a poker-based Slay the Spire-esque roguelike wh... no, not that one.

Presentation's top notch on this, but if you already fell in love with Poker Quest, I'm not sure if you have room for two games with incredibly similar themes. I think this one embraces the poker side a little bit more relative to the roguelike? As for me, it's entertaining enough that I'll hold onto it... and then inevitably forget about after 1-2 runs like I did for actual Slay the Spire, which I will get back to Any Day Now, For Real This Time. Aces & Adventures is 20% off for release on Steam (though I think it might be 35% off on GameBillet).

It's great. Presentation is, as you say, very good; the story card art in particular is gorgeous. There are a lot of neat, unexpected mechanics. You basically have two separate decks+hands of abilities or playing cards, with playing cards replenishing to a full hand of 5 after every entity's turn, and all cards are kept between rounds and even between encounters, so it's very tempting to hold on to as much as you can. The way defense works is also interesting - you can only defend with the same amount of cards as an attack, so if an enemy throws a single ace at you it doesn't matter if you have a pair of kings - you can only defend with one of them and lose. One sneaky trick against an enemy attacking with a single ace you can't beat is to morph one of their cards into a pair you can beat, since the AI prioritizes pairs and switches to it.

I also feel like I'm obligated to love it because this was one of the first things that happened to me: