Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I think calling CM Punk CM Henderson or Hangman Weepy Wangman are corny, played out, and pathetic as people that call the president Brandon. But that is like an SA thing all over. The /relationships thread has people posting "put x in an acid vat" ad nauseam.

Also if anyone ever tells me they aren't my friend on here I'll cry IRL, and if they tell me to stop this poo poo, brother, I'll throw them vertically through a ceiling tile.

I want all the Jabroni Marks that work themselves into shoots, take a moment, count to 30, then ask if they are posting for their own glory, or the glory of God (Mick Foley) before posting a screed about this and that.

Have a nice day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For whatever its worth I'll simply address the "I feel like I'm reading a different forum" thing. I think its very easy and normal that if you're on the inside of a group you might not notice things that group does or you will interpret it in a different way than people outside of it will. That's not bad, its human nature. We all have our own perspective. Trusting your own perspective as the objective truth is an easy trap to fall into, and its even more tempting if you have friends reinforcing that. A thread like this should be a helpful place to hear other perspectives and try and see how this place is being seen by everyone. And I think its helpful to hear that out instead of dismissing it as sometimes happens because it doesn't reflect what you see. At least that's my take.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

STAC Goat posted:

For whatever its worth I'll simply address the "I feel like I'm reading a different forum" thing. I think its very easy and normal that if you're on the inside of a group you might not notice things that group does or you will interpret it in a different way than people outside of it will. That's not bad, its human nature. We all have our own perspective. Trusting your own perspective as the objective truth is an easy trap to fall into, and its even more tempting if you have friends reinforcing that. A thread like this should be a helpful place to hear other perspectives and try and see how this place is being seen by everyone. And I think its helpful to hear that out instead of dismissing it as sometimes happens because it doesn't reflect what you see. At least that's my take.

There isn’t any inside group, I don’t have friends here. I just post and have fun. It’s wild to me that it’s interpreted as anything other than a fun, lighthearted place to post. It matches the vibe of all of the other subforums I read on this site which is why I keep coming back to SA. It’s antithetical to all of the miserable places elsewhere on the internet to discuss my various hobbies. :shrug:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
How do I join the insiders? Is it a discord? I'm not posting on a loving discord about a wrestling sub forum.

Who wants to join the outsiders with me and the big sexy of PSP?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

if there are any groups out there recruiting, just know that i may or may not be in your price range

but the only thing that's for sure about critical is that nothings for sure

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

this whole thing started because EMF posted something wildly negative and unfunny in the AEW thread and everyone jumped on them

there really isn't an in group

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

As someone who disagreed too what I would say is that I think things are so low stakes and goofy that I don't understand when things get really heated. I think EMF's posts sucked but the best I have is gently joking that they suck and moving on because who cares.

We've done a really good job at tossing out the really malicious poo poo that it sometimes feels like we're down to getting mad at being low grade bad posts.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

To further elaborate, I think there is an inside group here in as only much as there are posters that have an intense desire to position themselves as outsiders to some perceived posting cabal. I don’t PM anyone or talk to anyone off the forums so it’s a weird notion to me for a place that has welcomed dozens of new posters over the last few years with open arms that this insider group exists and has some how evaded me completely

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I'm here to laugh at posts and maybe make posts to make other people laugh. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
there's an off-site lowtax exodus era discord and guess what it's mainly made up of people who don't post in these forums very much at all

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Deadforum and Cabal

Like Deadpool and Cable

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
When the aew game finally comes out I will make Cabal and so long as it allows me to I will make it Vinceflex

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shinjobi posted:

When the aew game finally comes out

quote:

This item will be released on December 31, 2023.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Shadow Legion (also known as the Dark Cabal) are a Cabal Legion that act as enforcers to the newly risen Disciple of the Witness, Emperor Calus and possess Pyramid tech to suppress the Guardian's powers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fez_machine posted:

You rarely see the seething hatred or open loathing for wrestlers at low skill levels, have had a bad match, or suit a different taste in wrestling that are commonly seen in other places.

I loving hate Pom Harakuju. I'm sorry, I'll try to be better

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fez_machine posted:

You rarely see the seething hatred or open loathing for wrestlers at low skill levels, have had a bad match, or suit a different taste in wrestling that are commonly seen in other places.

I admit I had to apply some restraint when people were giving unironic praise to Miz the other day.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

I loving hate Pom Harakuju. I'm sorry, I'll try to be better

Pom rules, her Max the Impaler saga was the best acting in wrestling, give TJPW an Emmy

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The advantage of the max matches is that they're good especially if you hate Pom.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Maybe we should start tagging our posts as serious or joking. /ser /jok

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

There isn’t any inside group, I don’t have friends here. I just post and have fun. It’s wild to me that it’s interpreted as anything other than a fun, lighthearted place to post. It matches the vibe of all of the other subforums I read on this site which is why I keep coming back to SA. It’s antithetical to all of the miserable places elsewhere on the internet to discuss my various hobbies. :shrug:

I'm not saying there's some secret insiders. But every group has an in and an out just by how long people have been around or how much they hang around. That's basic social dynamics. And its on display everytime a new poster shows up and is jumped on vs when a longtime poster is given the benefit of the doubt. Or every time there's a running gag that might be misunderstood by a newer poster or seen as something more aggressive. Its not some list of names in a secret clubhouse.
Its just a vibe and an atmosphere and culture and familiarity. Its just a natural thing that develops and its healthy to just never assume your perspective is the only one. Because it isn't.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 28, 2023

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

STAC Goat posted:

And its on display everytime a new poster shows up and is jumped on vs when a longtime poster is given the benefit of the doubt.

What are some examples of this happening because it keeps getting mentioned over and over in this thread and yet I don’t ever see it happen and every time I ask for examples I don’t get any. People fall over themselves to welcome new posters here, except when they’re obvious bad faith rereg dipshits, which are eventually outed as such, like today.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

flatluigi posted:

oh okay this is where the message in the aew thread came from

idk if emf has been trolling or seriousposting but my issue really isn't with them in specific, especially since they're just now starting to post again. there's just a range of people across all the wrestlethreads who think that high praise of wwe/making GBS threads on aew is really funny and it got pretty old for me years ago. the cornette nicknames like 'weepy wangman' are really old, and a few people went over the line w/ their shitposting when the whole thing w/ vince's sexual assault lawsuits and settlements started resurfacing in the news. where are people even getting their wrestling information from where they're talking about tony khan loving dogs as if we're all supposed to know that's a thing people are accusing him of doing to try to score points or w/e

i just want people to post about what they genuinely feel about the shows and think the threads would be more readable if they were that instead of having a half dozen people who try to stir poo poo up when they post. it's not an AEW vs WWE thing -- i don't care if someone likes watching wwe in 2023 and would enjoy reading people seriousposting about doing so (i've tried to give it a shot in groupwatches w/ friends on discord here and there over the last few years and it's just Not Enjoyable + i'd love to hear what people are getting out of the show in 2023, but that just doesn't seem like what people are doing). the gimmickposting or whatever you wanna call it that leads to constant arguments because someone wanted to casually say how nobody in aew's women's division is as good at wrestling as anyone in wwe or w/e is just not enjoyable to read, and putting them on ignore and trying to move on doesn't help b/c someone will just take the bait (or one of the other people who love to start poo poo will just carry it forward). it'd be fine if it was funny, but it's like there's a checklist people have to go down every week and people racing to hit those marks at a run as soon as the show wraps every wednesday

i liked reading the aew weekly threads and the live threads but the negativity and the fighting led me to drop the live threads + every week it takes me longer and longer to bother to read the weekly threads, even though SA is my major source for wrestling news. i'd like nothing more than to clear out my ignore list and enjoy reading the subforum proper again, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon if this is where the mods stand on what's allowed and what needs to be pushed back on.

Appreciate you taking the time to write all that, but I disagree with almost all of it. The live threads are overwhelmingly more positive than the weekly threads, and even when the weekly thread is negative they've still been feeling a lot more cordial. People will have differences in opinion and there will always be chucklefuckery because it's an SA staple, but it rarely feels like there's any genuine negativity between posters.

The responses to EMF felt like the most negative thing I'd seen in the thread all week so I called them out. Big difference between "this ain't it chief" from last week's dunking and "you should put this poster on ignore so that we can stop the spread of this terrible style of posting that will destroy the thread completely" (paraphrasing).

I'm wondering if you've put so many posters on ignore that you've killed the vibe of the threads for yourself. Perhaps you're seeing all these blanked posts and assuming they're all poo poo? I might encourage you to clear that list and go with the flow. Let the people make their Weepy Wangman jokes, roll your eyes at them and move on. They don't pop up that often. Is that even a Cornette nickname? I associate it with people who aren't as high on him as a character. It's not hurting anyone and it's a quick, silly reminder of their preferences. I really don't think people are trying to stir poo poo up, I think everyone's just having fun. I'm sorry if it's not fun for you, but I do think you're inventing a lot of the malicious intent if that's all that you're seeing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought Wangman came from the Winter Is Coming match graphic

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

What are some examples of this happening because it keeps getting mentioned over and over in this thread and yet I don’t ever see it happen and every time I ask for examples I don’t get any. People fall over themselves to welcome new posters here, except when they’re obvious bad faith rereg dipshits, which are eventually outed as such, like today.

Shaman Tank Spec being repeatedly dunked on for expressing disgust at that racist MJF promo on Takeshita for some minor bullshit technicality when the gist of what he was saying was basically correct comes to mind.

Not to mention some thread regulars then litigating how offended some people ought to be, or even outright saying something that is pretty goddamned loving racist is "not that bad," or even "not racist." I don't feel like naming any names here, and I hope those who posted that poo poo know who they are, and feel ashamed of themselves. Same goes to the person who felt the need to carry on the stupid loving joke in the Wrestling Social Media thread.

I posted this in the Social Media thread, and I feel it bears repeating.

edogawa rando posted:

The guy who said MJF's promo had a "slur" was technically wrong in saying that, but the gist of what they were saying was very correct - deliberately mispronouncing, or using non-European names as a means of mockery is racist as gently caress.

As a person of colour, who's spent a lifetime seeing my own family put up with this poo poo, I find this incredibly offensive. Honestly, some people shouldn't have to be reminded of the fact that using non-white names as a fodder for jokes and mockery is lovely and racist. For a board that seems to take pride in being far more progressive than it was 20-odd years ago, with the occasional "rah rah look at how far we've come" type posts every so often, seeing this kind of poo poo - not to mention how loving weirdly defensive some of you got in the previous incarnation of the AEW thread, was pretty goddamned disappointing.

I might as well get this off my chest, but the people who were then litigating how racist that MJF promo was, and how offended people should be about it need to have a loving word with themselves.

And yeah, I was pretty loving offended, to the point where it's really put me off of watching any AEW since.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's what I thought as well.

No idea where CM Henderson came from.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

edogawa rando posted:

That's what I thought as well.

No idea where CM Henderson came from.

Something one of the characters in the bad takes thread said. It was really unremarkable imo but it somehow stuck.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

edogawa rando posted:

Shaman Tank Spec being repeatedly dunked on for expressing disgust at that racist MJF promo on Takeshita for some minor bullshit technicality when the gist of what he was saying was basically correct comes to mind.

Thanks for the examples + passport pic but I was specifically asking about the repeated scenario where new posters are run off not whatever random arguments happened between regulars here

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

neoaxd posted:

I'm here to laugh at posts and maybe make posts to make other people laugh. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
same

i can’t fathom why anyone would write multiple sincere paragraphs about professional wrestling on a dead comedy forum, and i really can’t fathom why anyone would want to read them, but people do and (maybe) people do. different strokes for different folks i guess.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I'm going to give you some benefit of the doubt and assume that you aren't just sealioning.

Every time this discourse happens, if anyone engages in it, there's always evidence of various negative experiences people can report on. This is because even if something falls within your tolerance of joking and silliness, not everyone has that same tolerance; something that might seem harmless to you from another person's perspective it could be completely different, and much more hostile, especially with how difficult it is to access tone on the internet. Also, very few people actually have a strong desire to be the main character of the thread because their taste is different than the majority of people. This place is going to feel downright hostile to people who just want to post their post without considering they're going to have to defend the posts;s existence. Furthermore, what motivation does anyone have to even make this up? If people say they feel this way, they feel this way. Why do they need to justify this feeling? What's the harm in believing them? Like I feel a lot of things, I don't have a notebook of receipts to go to every time I express that feeling.

Now, I agree that in general this place has been a lot more pleasant lately in general. If y'all like that (because gently caress it, I don't care, I post in this place a couple times a month now) then have some empathy and some perspective so things stay better and don't get worse.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Thanks for the examples + passport pic but I was specifically asking about the repeated scenario where new posters are run off not whatever random arguments happened between regulars here

The first time I posted in an AEW thread, I was accused of wrongthink, and jumped on.

Apparently expressing frustration at the stop-start nature of “Hayter turns on Britt” was rather egregious.

And I would also ask why I, a sporadic at best poster in the AEW thread, would want to engage with the thread in any meaningful way when regulars in there said some pretty abhorrent things which I referred to earlier? It was made pretty clear that expressing disgust at content on an AEW show that was racist as poo poo for the purpose of cheap heat was not acceptable, and doing so would result in being piled on. And besides, when regulars are saying that something that was explicitly racist towards people of my ethnicity is "not that bad," and other such horseshit designed to invalidate the offence I felt, yeah, I did feel pretty loving unwelcome in the thread.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 28, 2023

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I stopped posting a week or two ago, and stopped watching AEW, partly from burnout but also because the watch-along thread goes from, "Another all-timer Dynamite!" to doomerism in the weekly thread fast enough for whiplash. If that's the negativity people are talking about I'd agree it's there. It's tiring to think, "Heh, that was pretty fun," and be greeted by people who seemingly hatewatch something. Or, less hatewatch and more can't remember they actually enjoyed watching something and it's somehow been replaced with them having sniffed a big a stinky poo via their television.

I don't get other posters being negative about other posters. Other posters are mainly being jolly and jocular with other posters about the stinky poo they hatesniffed.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 28, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Penguin Patrol posted:

Appreciate you taking the time to write all that, but I disagree with almost all of it. The live threads are overwhelmingly more positive than the weekly threads, and even when the weekly thread is negative they've still been feeling a lot more cordial. People will have differences in opinion and there will always be chucklefuckery because it's an SA staple, but it rarely feels like there's any genuine negativity between posters.

The responses to EMF felt like the most negative thing I'd seen in the thread all week so I called them out. Big difference between "this ain't it chief" from last week's dunking and "you should put this poster on ignore so that we can stop the spread of this terrible style of posting that will destroy the thread completely" (paraphrasing).

I'm wondering if you've put so many posters on ignore that you've killed the vibe of the threads for yourself. Perhaps you're seeing all these blanked posts and assuming they're all poo poo? I might encourage you to clear that list and go with the flow. Let the people make their Weepy Wangman jokes, roll your eyes at them and move on. They don't pop up that often. Is that even a Cornette nickname? I associate it with people who aren't as high on him as a character. It's not hurting anyone and it's a quick, silly reminder of their preferences. I really don't think people are trying to stir poo poo up, I think everyone's just having fun. I'm sorry if it's not fun for you, but I do think you're inventing a lot of the malicious intent if that's all that you're seeing.

i don't have many people on my ignore list (4, 3 of whom post here to be exact) and i tend to use it as a last resort when they do the same poo poo for months, and i still do get to see their posts when people quote them or when i click through occasionally + see they haven't stopped what they're doing. honestly, having so few people on my ignore list is probably not helping me feeling like I'm mostly on the edge of stopping reading here entirely, but w/e. it's great to hear a mod say it's all in my head, though, that's fun + explains a lot

also, like, '"it's not hurting anyone: -- i never said it was? i can find it really grating and unfun to read without it being A Reportable Offense lmao. nobody should be getting banned because they think it's the height of comedy to say 'the dork odor' or because they're constantly needling people for liking a popular wrestler for whatever reason they decided to make that what they'd be posting about this month, but i still would rather not read it! especially when they make themselves the focus of the thread when they do it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

“Please post only the way I want” is never gonna be a popular one. This forum has been great lately and I include my friends EMF, the shadow discord cabal and even people I would have had on ignore I don’t anymore. There is maybe one or two people who complain a lot but one of them just got perrmabanned for being an epic rereg guy and the vibes have never been better.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

deliberately mispronouncing, or using non-European names as a means of mockery is racist as gently caress.

edogawa rando posted:

More like George W Poo-shi.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wangman is AEW Canon. Anyone complaining about it can take it up with the American Dragon!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Anyone who reads weepy wangman posts as sincerely hating on the hanger is wildly misreading the tone like 80% of the time

Maybe even 90% of the time

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

History Comes Inside! posted:

Anyone who reads weepy wangman posts as sincerely hating on the hanger is wildly misreading the tone like 80% of the time

legit i'd respect it more if it was sincere instead of just an irony-laden joke run so far into the ground you'd see daylight on the other side. knowing it's something they don't actually give a poo poo about and could drop doing at any moment is part of why it's so grating to read -- they could just choose not to wander into the thread and take a dump on whatever conversation was happening, but they gotta get their catchprase in

but like i said at the top i'm not even really trying to push for anyone to change b/c that'd imply any expectation that they will & i'm taking the mod-who-doesn't-think-i'm-making-poo poo-up's advice and just trying to use my ignore list more frequently now. maybe it'll help

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

It's more that it's just the lowest effort white noise running joke. It's not that offensive, it's just so far removed from the context of where the name came from as to sound weird and dumb if you weren't there for the origins.

Also, the thing where Goons seem to think it is somehow impressive to not use their ignore list and just repeatedly get into the dumbest slap fights is incredibly dumb. If you don't have the self-control to not rise to obvious bait then for the love of God ignore the posters who aggravate you. If not for yourself then for the sake of everyone else.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Imagine being a forums user and coming into PSP to discuss wrestling you enjoy lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Imagine being a forums user and coming into PSP to discuss wrestling you enjoy lol

I don't need to imagine it, I do it every day