Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

DC Murderverse posted:

There’s exactly one situation in which I think AI voice acting is acceptable and that’s to replace Justin Roiland in all of the various things he created and can’t participate in because he’s a gross-rear end motherfucker

Alternatively you could simply not use an impersonation of his voice acting because his voice acting is invariably grating, and was funny exactly once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Samovar posted:

Alternatively you could simply not use an impersonation of his voice acting because his voice acting is invariably grating, and was funny exactly once.

The show was specifically unwatchable to me because of the stupid loving belching and grating voices.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1630323375313760260

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

In 2022, Beyond Good and Evil 2 broke the record held by Duke Nukem Forever (2011) for the longest development for a AAA video game, at more than 15 years.[4]

I swear to god I do not understand the slightest thing about gaming development for these projects to run for nearly a decade in such a state of being an absolute mess. There's got to be some common factor to every company doing this, and I'll wildly speculate it's lovely management+culture that lives and dies by working the frontline staff to their breaking point constantly in order to accommodate a C-suite that have never played a game, don't know what coders do, and think game development is just a button you push for a positive Q4 result in a couple years.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

HopperUK posted:

Like the Fallout 4 robot who has a bunch of names he can say.
The best part about that is you have your common names like Joe, Mary, etc and then stuff like Assface (know your audience) and Furiosa. But the VA actually got paid to do it, and there are something like 300 names it recognizes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Duke Nukem kept getting rebooted and the team never got meaningfully larger even as the complexity increased.

I would not be surprised if the amount of people on Beyond Good and Evil 2 is fairly small, struggling to make a thing that can be even said to have enough direction to go into ramp up to full production.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

pentyne posted:

I swear to god I do not understand the slightest thing about gaming development for these projects to run for nearly a decade in such a state of being an absolute mess. There's got to be some common factor to every company doing this, and I'll wildly speculate it's lovely management+culture that lives and dies by working the frontline staff to their breaking point constantly in order to accommodate a C-suite that have never played a game, don't know what coders do, and think game development is just a button you push for a positive Q4 result in a couple years.

The moment they did that early preview of BG&E2 where they showed the monkey on the hover bike and then it zoomed out to a view of a whole city and then zoomed out again to a whole planet and then again to a whole galaxy I was like "Yup this game is never coming out." Just massive uncontrolled design creep that drags development out further and further which then leads to the sunk cost fallacy of having to finish the game for all it's cost to make it which leads to doubling down and expanding the scope even more etc etc etc.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub0x1_bSU_0

Once I saw this at E3 I knew this whole game was some sort of money laundering scam

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My understanding is that BG&E2 never had more than a handful of people working on it, and not even full time, until a few years ago (if ever) so that 10 years is kind of misleading.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub0x1_bSU_0

Once I saw this at E3 I knew this whole game was some sort of money laundering scam

Oh my God I hadn't seen this before, that's so wild. Crowdsourcing gamedev!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Basticle posted:

My understanding is that BG&E2 never had more than a handful of people working on it, and not even full time, until a few years ago (if ever) so that 10 years is kind of misleading.

Someone get George Broussard and Michel Ancel on the phone to settle the dispute. They don't have anything else going on.

Random thought re: Microsoft's recent chumminess with Valve - Microsoft really doesn't seem to care much about keeping Windows viable as a gaming platform, huh? On the one hand it makes sense since they'll never get a significant share of publishing revenue from Windows gamers (who have a billion other storefronts to buy from) but I don't think I've ever heard a single recommendation for using Windows as a personal OS except "well you need it to play most games".

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Randallteal posted:

Someone get George Broussard and Michel Ancel on the phone to settle the dispute. They don't have anything else going on.

Random thought re: Microsoft's recent chumminess with Valve - Microsoft really doesn't seem to care much about keeping Windows viable as a gaming platform, huh? On the one hand it makes sense since they'll never get a significant share of publishing revenue from Windows gamers (who have a billion other storefronts to buy from) but I don't think I've ever heard a single recommendation for using Windows as a personal OS except "well you need it to play most games".

Like everything at MS It goes in cycles.
When I was at MS working on Windows, it was very clear that supporting games was important to the OS business, we spent a lot of time making sure XP supported new games and was highly compatible with legacy games. By the time we were working on what became Vista, leadership had changed and they didn't give a poo poo anymore, and they laid off my team.

About 10 years after I left MS, I ended up working with two other people who had previously done the exact same job as me at different times and went through the same cycle.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I was going to say "didn't this already happen" but god drat if time isn't a flat circle

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Randallteal posted:

I think 20 years ago I read about Windows being the means to the end that is selling Office licenses. Could be the same with their game subscription service.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

pentyne posted:

BGE2 has been announced way too early. Normally ubisoft doesn't announce games that early in the development process (much less commission a CG trailer for them), they wait until the project has matured enough that they are confident they're gonna actually release it and are ready to do a marketing push for it.

The reason BGE2 has been announced way too early is because at the time ubi needed to convince shareholders to keep the Guillemots in charge of the company rather than sell to Vincent Bolloré who was attempting an hostile takeover.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zlodo posted:

BGE2 has been announced way too early. Normally ubisoft doesn't announce games that early in the development process (much less commission a CG trailer for them), they wait until the project has matured enough that they are confident they're gonna actually release it and are ready to do a marketing push for it.

The reason BGE2 has been announced way too early is because at the time ubi needed to convince shareholders to keep the Guillemots in charge of the company rather than sell to Vincent Bolloré who was attempting an hostile takeover.

Its been more than 15 years since it was announced. Theres way too early and theres taking over Duke Nukem's record for longest development.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Also pretty much any time an AAA game has “been under development for X years” it probably means “well, we’ve been prototyping and making assets for X years now, and we’ll be ready to start actual development of the game soon. Like in a few more months or so. Wait what do you mean release is in six months?”

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Barudak posted:

Its been more than 15 years since it was announced. Theres way too early and theres taking over Duke Nukem's record for longest development.

I think the project would have been killed years ago if they had never announced it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zlodo posted:

I think the project would have been killed years ago if they had never announced it.

They could have killed it after the takeover attempt was thwarted. Theres nothing gained with letting this twist on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

busalover posted:

I think 20 years ago I read about Windows being the means to the end that is selling Office licenses. Could be the same with their game subscription service.

A lot is explained by Microsoft's corporate culture being dozens of feuding corporate fiefdoms who all hate each other and constantly vie for resources and favour. The gaming stuff shifting between half-assing Windows and half-assing Xbox is probably very much the outward manifestation of an internal tug-of-war.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This comic is 12 years old and Microsoft, at least, is still 100% spot on.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Are we never getting the gently caress-monkey game now :(

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I had my timeline wrong re: the Bollore takeover attempt versus BGE2's announcement (i was thinking of E3 2018 but that was actually right after he officially gave up). I also didn't remember that it was first announced in 2008. So dunno why they botched the whole thing that much but the point about it getting announced way too early still stands. We really should never even have heard of it.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Skull and Bones reached 10 years of development last year.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

koolkal posted:

Skull and Bones reached 10 years of development last year.

My favourite detail about the development of that game was that several years into development there were still discussions about whether you were controlling a captain on a boat or controlling the actual boat. That feels like something quite fundamental to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

thebardyspoon posted:

My favourite detail about the development of that game was that several years into development there were still discussions about whether you were controlling a captain on a boat or controlling the actual boat. That feels like something quite fundamental to me.

It can be a bit funny depending on what presentation and setup you have. Like, you'd be surprised what aspects of a game are and can be changed and what parts are baked in early on in development when you have a base concept and engine. Since video games are such a complex medium involving both art and technical development, and so much about presentation is effectively a matter of smoke and mirrors, it can be very hard to predict how development goes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

more layoffs, EA QA

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ea-has-reportedly-laid-off-over-100-apex-legends-testers-out-of-the-blue/

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Apex still pulls triple digits (e: 6 digits :downs:) in player count, seems like an odd choice to cut staff there.

Sucks for the contractors in Baton Rouge. Are there other studios there they can move to?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 1, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
100 QA is a huge number, and I don't mean to cut. Wouldn't surprise me if those never come back as EA staff. And if they did, it'd almost certainly be in an in-house off-site QA facility.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

leper khan posted:

100 QA is a huge number, and I don't mean to cut. Wouldn't surprise me if those never come back as EA staff. And if they did, it'd almost certainly be in an in-house off-site QA facility.

I'm pretty sure that's what EA Batton Rouge is, a dedicated QA facility staffed mostly by contractors. I don't think there's any game studios there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

leper khan posted:

Some places are now actually saying it's over 200

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bucnasti posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what EA Batton Rouge is, a dedicated QA facility staffed mostly by contractors. I don't think there's any game studios there.

Yup. Many of the EA studios have their own internal QA, but Baton Rouge and Bucharest are/were the big dedicated Central QA sites. No idea the numbers of actual QA testers before/after though.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Fruits of the sea posted:

Sucks for the contractors in Baton Rouge. Are there other studios there they can move to?

I think inXile is the other big studio there, hopefully at least some people can swap over.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man gently caress EA. They just also recently had layoffs at their Austin office too. Just farming all these jobs to the SEA region like Philippines to cut on costs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:munch:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-ftc-has-told-sony-it-has-to-reveal-its-third-party-exclusivity-deals/

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

This could be entertaining.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So basically:

Sony: "You can't let Microsoft buy Activision! That's strangling the market!"
Microsoft: "We just signed a deal with Nintendo and tried to make a contract with you. Speaking of, can we see your contracts?"
Sony: "...no?"

Edit: Misread the first part of the article.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 2, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Microsoft sent the subpoena, so that would not be how the conversation went.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I misread the start of the article and thought the FTC had subpoenaed the contracts, not Microsoft themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://www.gamesradar.com/square-enixs-nft-game-sounds-like-a-nightmare-nobodys-prepared-for/

https://twitter.com/LGG_DAO/status/1628952878487416832?s=20

the hair clipping through the hats IN THE PROMO ART is not inspiring confidence in this absolute loving disaster