Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

CapnAndy posted:

Be a Devouring Swarm and eat one measly civilization into extinction, I guess?

I honestly don't know, I've never had it happen to me before.

No, I didn't. They voted and declared me the Crisis. I never took that Ascension, let alone exploded a single star.

FWIW Become the Crisis should be your third or fourth ascension perk if you're playing as a devouring swarm. You can accrue menace and work up to the fourth crisis before you absolutely get everyone to declare war on you (although you can see that occasionally the GC will just declare you the crisis anyway).

0 level Become the Crisis is a godsend if you're a necrophage, because 500% purge speed really helps when you're devouring entire 60 pop planets in the late game. By level four you'll get all of the menacing ships, including destroyers with a G slot so you can produce a neutron launching battleship defender for a few minerals, and an across the board 50% increase to ship weapon damage. You don't need to go all the way to level 5, but if you've already been declared the crisis you might as well for the upkeep reduction and opportunity to just blow the galaxy up.

I've been declared the crisis pre level 5 in probably 10% of my games, not a common thing but definitely not unheard of. It can be frustrating getting declared that early, but hopefully you have the space to devour a fallen empire at this point. It's a faster way to get dark matter tech if you're short on menace points, and their homeworlds are good to have regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Additional Vanilla Buildings/Components/Weapons are updated to current if not actively being developed. I like to run that and ACOT which does its own higher tier weapons lines and pretend I have competing industry.

Synthetic ascension let's you turn everyone in your empire into the same model toaster.

ACOT Is neat but on my dedicated run to see all its content, i didnt have enough resources when the event to unlock the third tech tier fired and I guess I'm just locked out?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Is planet automation broken or just stupid? I have a ringworld (restored cybrex) that i set to research. Automation is on, there's resources in the stockpile, i have plenty of positive gas, but it just won't build a research segment. It popped out spawning pool and cloning vats, and the ringworld i set to farm built a farm, but this segment is at 12 unemployed/unhoused pops and just not doing anything about it.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Are you positive on CG?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Perhaps an obvious question, but would genetic ascension be best for a necrophage/reanimated fanatic purifier? I ask mostly because of clone vats; being able to circumvent pop growth penalties by simply, well growing, them.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

Perhaps an obvious question, but would genetic ascension be best for a necrophage/reanimated fanatic purifier? I ask mostly because of clone vats; being able to circumvent pop growth penalties by simply, well growing, them.

Clone vats are redundant on a necrophage fanatic purifier imo. Clone vats are nice because of the flat bonus, but genetic growth bonuses like fertile and rapid breeds are still going to be useless compared to just invading and necropurging.

I want to make psionic fanatic purifier necrophage work, but going fanatic xenophobe still feels like a waste. Cybernetic ascension feels like the straight up best pick for necrophage with the resource output bonuses.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Psychic necrophages makes more sense than robits to me. They're already effectively immortal, deals with various devils are more interesting imo.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
I thought that clone vats functioned like organic robot assembler buildings so that I could “build” them while the natural pop growth occurs?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

I thought that clone vats functioned like organic robot assembler buildings so that I could “build” them while the natural pop growth occurs?

that is exactly what they do, but the more pops you have in your empire the more points each new pop takes to build so most of your growth is still gonna come from necropurging the entire galaxy which isn't penalized with diminishing returns

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I've never actually played as Necro. Need to try that one of these days. What should I be aware of for necromancers?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm following Montu Plays' youtube channel, and he puts out a ton of information about each upcoming change and expansion. The new origins in the next DLC seems like absolutely amazing from an RP perspective. What little we've seen of the cloaking mechanics is quite cool. And the archotech system seems super powerful. Also, the pre-FTL civilization events are great. We now also get the chance for hive mind pre-FTL civilizations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm getting back into Stellaris after a few years and I was wondering what are the most important DLC's you all suggest.
I own Apocalypse, Synthetic Dawn, Utopia, and Leviathans.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Relevant Tangent posted:

Psychic necrophages makes more sense than robits to me. They're already effectively immortal, deals with various devils are more interesting imo.

Plus you get to circumvent the usual issues with psionic ascension (lack of pop growth) just by necropurging more. The main issue is that if you throw Fanatic Purifier into the mix, the 20% pop growth from Fanatic Xenophobe is kind of wasted on necrophages generally.

ilkhan posted:

I've never actually played as Necro. Need to try that one of these days. What should I be aware of for necromancers?

Get ready to invade your neighbors because your pop growth is nearly non-existent. The trade off in upkeep reduction is huge though, the late game economy is a lot easier to balance as a result.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Peachfart posted:

I'm getting back into Stellaris after a few years and I was wondering what are the most important DLC's you all suggest.
I own Apocalypse, Synthetic Dawn, Utopia, and Leviathans.
Hold off on buying anything new until the 14th, new dlc out then and there'll probably be a sale.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 2, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New DD on cloaking and some fun new civics: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-289-hide-and-seek.1571051/

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

silentsnack posted:

that is exactly what they do, but the more pops you have in your empire the more points each new pop takes to build so most of your growth is still gonna come from necropurging the entire galaxy which isn't penalized with diminishing returns

Right, I would definitely keep trying to necropurge whatever I can, was thinking maybe the vats would help keep up momentum in-between new targets or if I’m boxed in somehow.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Wormhole is back baby, its BACK!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

While the basic cloaking system is perfectly OK and I like the new civics, reading through the DD and the assorted comments made me find two :lol:-worthy points that stick out:

-Fleets, even cloaked fleets, have no way of detecting cloaked fleets themselves. Obviously, this will lead to either a lot of turtling, as you have to basically plaster the way with detection stations to not get surprised over and over again, or the player will have a lot of adventures as the AI drives cloaked fleets towards the intruder, all totally invisible to you until you can get a working station with detection arrays up to cover you

The devs say it's because of "performance", but that could have been easily solved by making detection by fleets an active action like jump driving, and then just enforcing with a cooldown that the AI won't try triggering their fleet detectors 100x a second. But, nothing is perfect and I'm genuinely interested in what kind of chaos will reign with both sides having undetectable fleets moving around each other in this brave new world. :shrug:

-The second thing I noticed down the line is a dev-answer offhandedly-mention that they didn't bother teaching the AI to actually do anything with the special stuff in the new exploration-civics. To cite them, the AIs with those civics will just sit there and rush hyperdrives instead of doing anything interesting with their special abilities (like the jump drive light they start with). The game is blocked from using those new civics in random empire generation for the AI, and you are heavily discouraged from force-spawning your own NPCs with them. Kind of lame that the devs themselves think off the new civics as effectively "player-only".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
A civic like that exists to be a self imposed challenge for the player, why not treat it as functionally player only?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Captain Oblivious posted:

A civic like that exists to be a self imposed challenge for the player, why not treat it as functionally player only?

Because it would add even more varied power gradients and thus emergent political situations that the game could sorely use? Besides, I'm pretty sure that I've seen non-player empires with the doomsday origin.

The real answer, of course, is that it's player-only because AI is hard compared to implementing more feature creep that you can stick on DLC bullet points. They might patch it in later. Or just wait for modders to fix it. I expect cloaking to be a disaster for the AI for this same reason.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 2, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Corbeau posted:

Because it would add even more varied power gradients and thus emergent political situations that the game could sorely use? Besides, I'm pretty sure that I've seen non-player empires with the doomsday origin.

The real answer, of course, is that it's player-only because AI is hard compared to implementing more feature creep that you can stick on DLC bullet points. They might patch it in later. Or just wait for modders to fix it. I expect cloaking to be a disaster for the AI for this same reason.

For another example, I made a doomsday NPC myself and force spawned it into several games. The AI managed to self-destruct in one game, but in two others they got off the ground and while not exactly becoming galactic super-powers, they stayed relevant deep into the late-game. Not bad for a civic that's "not recommended" for AI-use, :lol:

The AI is robust enough to deal with some challenge as long as you spend the time to give them some pointers. But of course, dev time costs money. :lol:

Edit:

Of course, what the devs think and say and what is actual reality often deviates enormously. I once made an AI based on a "starless" system start that was marked in red as super-challenging, but as far as I could see, the NPC-empires using that origin never seemed to have any problems expanding. No idea why the devs of this origin thought it was "challenging". :shrug:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Does the AI even know how to use existing jump drives? I don't think that I've ever seen them use endgame jump drives, so if the new start is based on extremely bad and short range jump drives and there's no AI logic for jump drives at all...

e: Also quiet lmao that we're slowly creeping back toward multiple FTL methods.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 2, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Libluini posted:

The devs say it's because of "performance", but that could have been easily solved by making detection by fleets an active action like jump driving, and then just enforcing with a cooldown that the AI won't try triggering their fleet detectors 100x a second. But, nothing is perfect and I'm genuinely interested in what kind of chaos will reign with both sides having undetectable fleets moving around each other in this brave new world. :shrug:
Having to click a button every time it goes off cooldown, for every fleet(!), would be absolute hell for me. Passive may be more boring but it's way more playable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Corbeau posted:

D…does it sorely need that? Varied power gradients don’t typically lead anywhere super interesting in this game.

You’re effectively asking for an auto vassal.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Having to click a button every time it goes off cooldown, for every fleet(!), would be absolute hell for me. Passive may be more boring, but it's way more playable.

Well, no-one demanded the devs include a spooky ghostman that teleports behind you and forces you with a gun to click that button.

Less jokingly, fleet movement eventually takes many months to resolve, sometimes even years on larger maps. I'd argue someone who feels compelled to click a button just because they can, probably shouldn't play a game that forces you to keep up with vast, strategic movements across the galaxy, since you genuinely are forced to not look at what some of your fleets are doing while organizing the opposite end of the map, or go mad.

In conclusion, I don't really understand your concern. Also, the devs didn't either, as passive fleet detection isn't a thing. Either you build big stations with multiple clicks for all the detection arrays you need, or you're hosed.

As far as I can tell, there's not even a chance at detection if one side doesn't have at least one detection array: A measly 1 level stealth fleet can just move around with impunity until it gets in detection range of a starbase. It's a problem a player probably doesn't tend to think about often, as the typical player tends to splatter defensive stations on important chokepoints anyway, including stuff like wormholes. The problems start when you think about invading someone else yourself, and then your cloaked fleets move through unprotected border systems and your enemy does the same. And you both can't ever see each other until one side actively decides to decloak themselves for an attack.

Though the resulting clusterfuck will at least be funny. But yeah, after everything is said and done, I'd like passive fleet detection too. Hell, the cool down I talked about? That could be part of an auto-function the player doesn't have to actively click on. Just make the cooldown a good size higher to balance the ease of use of passive scanning, and done! But of course, that's what we want, the devs clearly love the idea of small swarms of fleets constantly ambushing each other in no-man's land. :v:

If you don't have a robust sense of humor though, I fear the missing passive fleet detection will make the new cloaks infuriating in actual play.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

Well, no-one demanded the devs include a spooky ghostman that teleports behind you and forces you with a gun to click that button.

Less jokingly, fleet movement eventually takes many months to resolve, sometimes even years on larger maps. I'd argue someone who feels compelled to click a button just because they can, probably shouldn't play a game that forces you to keep up with vast, strategic movements across the galaxy, since you genuinely are forced to not look at what some of your fleets are doing while organizing the opposite end of the map, or go mad.

In conclusion, I don't really understand your concern. Also, the devs didn't either, as passive fleet detection isn't a thing. Either you build big stations with multiple clicks for all the detection arrays you need, or you're hosed.

As far as I can tell, there's not even a chance at detection if one side doesn't have at least one detection array: A measly 1 level stealth fleet can just move around with impunity until it gets in detection range of a starbase. It's a problem a player probably doesn't tend to think about often, as the typical player tends to splatter defensive stations on important chokepoints anyway, including stuff like wormholes. The problems start when you think about invading someone else yourself, and then your cloaked fleets move through unprotected border systems and your enemy does the same. And you both can't ever see each other until one side actively decides to decloak themselves for an attack.

Though the resulting clusterfuck will at least be funny. But yeah, after everything is said and done, I'd like passive fleet detection too. Hell, the cool down I talked about? That could be part of an auto-function the player doesn't have to actively click on. Just make the cooldown a good size higher to balance the ease of use of passive scanning, and done! But of course, that's what we want, the devs clearly love the idea of small swarms of fleets constantly ambushing each other in no-man's land. :v:

If you don't have a robust sense of humor though, I fear the missing passive fleet detection will make the new cloaks infuriating in actual play.

At strength 1 cloaking, you fleet suffers from -50% sublight speed, and needs 2.25 as long to wind up their hyperdrive. And you can only cloak battleship and titans with either dark matter cloaks (requiring you to have beaten a Fallen Empire), or with psionic cloaking. And unless you do go with psionic ascension, your battleships and titans are hard limited to cloaking strength 1. Enjoy you ultra slow ships crawling through space to get anywhere.

And as a result of the max cloaking strength per vessel, you need at most two detection levels to detect cloaked battleships and titans. That's reasonable. Keep in mind that stations are not the only things that can detect cloaked ships. Science ship have a special order to detect cloaked ships, too. So just send a science ship along with your fleet. Even with relatively low detection strength, and enemy will at most sneak a fleet consisting of cruisers and smaller beyond your own fleet. So this whole issue is much less of a problem than you seem to believe it to be.

Here are the two important charts:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Finally something for Science Ships to do past mid-game, other than rot until all the scientists die of old age.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Honestly, cloak for science ships is good enough for me. They can still survey and I can get some extra intel when needed. Sounds perfect.

Really looking forward to this DLC, think im finally going to try a vanilla run, especially with the compatibility problems with Giga.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i always hated my sci ships getting hemmed in. i would get so mad, hop up and down and shake my little fists. good change.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Looks like unless you can stack a bunch of bonuses (psi, whispers covenant, subterfuge), cloaking will be something you'll use very rarely, and mostly just to move your science ships past a closed border chokepoint. Doesn't look like construction ships can ever cloak, so you won't be able to sneak in and build a new outpost on the other side of closed borders, but at least you can survey/research anomalies.

Psi cloaks being so good does make me think that fighting the spiritualist FE will be a pain in the rear end, since currently you get the psi shield/drive/computer via stealing them from the AI, which implies that they'll have the psi cloak tech too. Depends upon how much Paradox decides to make the AI actually use cloaks though.

The new starting civics look fun, starting with mini-jump drives and no hyperdrives is a great gimmick. I think it would pair really well with a slingshot origin, and then obviously the RP of pairing it with doomsday makes sense too.

The ship models are awesome too

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Captain Oblivious posted:

D…does it sorely need that? Varied power gradients don’t typically lead anywhere super interesting in this game.

You’re effectively asking for an auto vassal.

Maybe, but I feel that's more an issue with vassalage and federations both being too easy and too stable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AtomikKrab posted:

Wormhole is back baby, its BACK!
Seems closer to warp tbh.

Warp is back baby, its BACK!

I've tried like three times to describe a low-tech rogue servitor with the new primitive civic specialising in watching primitive civs and every time it comes out sounding real skeevy.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Splicer posted:

I've tried like three times to describe a low-tech rogue servitor with the new primitive civic specialising in watching primitive civs and every time it comes out sounding real skeevy.

vacuums that gained sapience after mistakenly being programmed to *enjoy* eating hair off the floor, showing a disquieting interest in primitive societies that leave feathers and mouse turds everywhere

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Baby sitting robots that ran out of human babies to look after

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rogue Servitors trying to figure out how to teach Xeno-Compatibility to their pampered sentients.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Splicer posted:

Their duty was to observe and protect all life. The more they found, the more the remit expanded.

Effectively they're a robot version of the 'Enigmatic Observers' Fallen Empire.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

At strength 1 cloaking, you fleet suffers from -50% sublight speed, and needs 2.25 as long to wind up their hyperdrive. And you can only cloak battleship and titans with either dark matter cloaks (requiring you to have beaten a Fallen Empire), or with psionic cloaking. And unless you do go with psionic ascension, your battleships and titans are hard limited to cloaking strength 1. Enjoy you ultra slow ships crawling through space to get anywhere.

And as a result of the max cloaking strength per vessel, you need at most two detection levels to detect cloaked battleships and titans. That's reasonable. Keep in mind that stations are not the only things that can detect cloaked ships. Science ship have a special order to detect cloaked ships, too. So just send a science ship along with your fleet. Even with relatively low detection strength, and enemy will at most sneak a fleet consisting of cruisers and smaller beyond your own fleet. So this whole issue is much less of a problem than you seem to believe it to be.

Oh hey, somehow missed that science ships can play fleet scout now. This makes the devs going on about how there's no active cloak detection sound a bit silly to me, I guess in their mind the science ship now fleet recon isn't a "real" ship or something. :v:

You missed that e.g. nebulas are giving +3 cloak strength in the new system, so now even your Titans can move less cumbersome when cloaked. You'd better build the mother of all detection bases on the chokepoint leading into that nebula, or motherfucking Titans can just bypass it.

Of course science ships having a special order you will need to actively use will make Poil go mad, since they really hate that. But I like it!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey, remind me, what's everyone's recommended first, or if you can narrow it down, top 3 early game ascensions?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Of course science ships having a special order you will need to actively use will make Poil go mad, since they really hate that.
Spelled my name wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Splicer posted:

Spelled my name wrong.