Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

CapnAndy posted:

So apparently if the Council declares you the Crisis, that war literally never ends? I got war exhaustion up to 100% and wanted it to be over just so I could do something that wasn't fighting an uneding stream of reinforcements because the bullshit Commodore resource streams had fully kicked in, but nope, apparently Status Quo isn't a valid option for this type of war. And since it's otherwise a war of pure extermination, the war is just until I lose or I'm alone in the galaxy?

Honestly, I'd rather restart than fight a forever war for the next 150 years.

I think in theory the Council can declare you Not A Crisis to end the war, but that requires a vote. Which would almost certainly fail, since as part of the hellwar everyone hates you, and I'm not convinced the AI is smart enough to see "maybe if we end the war this guy'll stop obliterating us" as an option.

Having the AI council Crisis-Dec someone without them taking Become The Crisis (which I think doesn't even have that out) in the first place is rare enough that I might be misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New DD on the final origin and primitive study insight techs: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/stellaris-dev-diary-288-payback-and-insights.1570096/

As someone who always just observes primitives anyway, and always wants more envoys despite nearly always playing a xenophile, I welcome the additional tech and more lobbyists.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Long shot modding compatibility question, because I cannot seem to find consensus on this:

Without a compatibility patch (both are abandoned currently), has anyone found Planetary Diversity and Gigastructures to overall play nicely with eachother? Irony Mod Manager throws up a ton of conflicts between them but I don't know if that's causing actual meaningful problems! It'd absolutely suck to have to choose one or the other.

gigastructures will not handle the new planet classes very well without a compat patch. probably "crash the game" not well. i would try the abandoned compatibility patches because the basic infrastructure needed to make the two mods play nice with each other hasn't changed in years

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Jazerus posted:

gigastructures will not handle the new planet classes very well without a compat patch. probably "crash the game" not well. i would try the abandoned compatibility patches because the basic infrastructure needed to make the two mods play nice with each other hasn't changed in years

Appreciate the reply! Yeah the latest compatibility patch was last updated for 3.4 which isn't brilliant but I suppose it could be far far worse:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2851156907

By the looks of the bug reports page, there is some habitability/colonization problems popping up; something I've oddly a bit of when it comes to older mods post Toxoids.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I wonder how much this new dlc will "interfere" with playing as a necroid, since I love my space vampires and the opening move is to just invade and necro purge the guaranteed primitives you get. It'd really cripple your expansion if you just sit on them instead.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CapnAndy posted:

So apparently if the Council declares you the Crisis, that war literally never ends? I got war exhaustion up to 100% and wanted it to be over just so I could do something that wasn't fighting an uneding stream of reinforcements because the bullshit Commodore resource streams had fully kicked in, but nope, apparently Status Quo isn't a valid option for this type of war. And since it's otherwise a war of pure extermination, the war is just until I lose or I'm alone in the galaxy?

You're a crisis

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Eimi posted:

I wonder how much this new dlc will "interfere" with playing as a necroid, since I love my space vampires and the opening move is to just invade and necro purge the guaranteed primitives you get. It'd really cripple your expansion if you just sit on them instead.

It's just going to make not doing that effective/interesting because currently even if you're maxed xenophiles who are egalitarian immediately invading is just Correct play. Teaching primitives about space and then absorbing them into your Shared Burdens democracy takes forever, dropping a single squad with a General/Temporary Leader to show them how the new omnigoods manufacturers work is so much quicker.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's just going to make not doing that effective/interesting because currently even if you're maxed xenophiles who are egalitarian immediately invading is just Correct play. Teaching primitives about space and then absorbing them into your Shared Burdens democracy takes forever, dropping a single squad with a General/Temporary Leader to show them how the new omnigoods manufacturers work is so much quicker.

Has there been anything said for unique events/complications for setups that highly incentivize invasion, like Necroids or Assimilators? Some sort of X-Com-esque insurgency on conquered primitive planets makes a lot of sense given the rest of the content (especially when the primitives' ethics clash with your own), and those two builds would likely face a lot of resistance.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 23, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

I'm honestly astonished. How did you manage to piss off so many people at once?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eimi posted:

I guess it's just a tradeoff of not getting the special techs vs. the massive early game benefits of getting those additional pops to necro purge. As Relevant Tangent wrote, invading primitives is always the Correct Play from a player power perspective. The new system is then a massive improvement, because you now have a real choice whether to invade them directly, which will probably still be the best for necroids and certain assimilators, vs. studying them for the unique tech insights you get.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
It would be a real choice if the techs were any good. Currently, I don't think its even remotely competitive with getting a free planet with 4-25 pops.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jack Trades posted:

…they became the Crisis.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ulmont posted:

…they became the Crisis.

But they'd have to piss enough people to get to that point, cause they don't mention taking the perk.

Unless they did take the perk and didn't mention it and are somehow surprised. That would be even stranger.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

ulmont posted:

…they became the Crisis.

and whining about it, that's so funny...

I wonder what consequences threatening to genocide the whole galaxy will do... I hope it's not bad..

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Would it be in poor taste to make a joke comparing quitting the game after becoming the crisis to Hitler?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

scaterry posted:

It would be a real choice if the techs were any good. Currently, I don't think its even remotely competitive with getting a free planet with 4-25 pops.
Yeah, it's kind of funny how the combat-alternative stuff is all elaborate high-investment mediocre return storystuff, but invasions are still "Dump armies -> massive and near-immediate return on investment".

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

scaterry posted:

You can invade them after, and that is only a selection, and some of them even seem nice.

As someone who often plays isolationist xenophobes that are ringworlders anyway, this is just PERFECT

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

ulmont posted:

…they became the Crisis.

No they didn't. They were declared a Crisis by the Galactic Community. You can pass a resolution to do that, which causes all Community members to immediately declare eternal hellwar on the unfortunate target.

You can pass a resolution to end the Crisis declaration, but the better option would have been to actually pay attention to the community and nip that in the bud.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The only time I've seen a player be declared a Crisis by the Galactic Community is by very VERY heavy vote manipulation (from me :sun:) and I have no idea how much you need to piss everyone off for it to happen naturally.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I mean, a super-powerful genocidal empire that can potentially win a war against the combined forces of the entire rest of the galaxy should be a crisis, shouldn't it?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I've seen AI empires get declared the crisis before, and some of them were just run-of-the-mill Hegemonic Imperialists who got lucky with snowballing, not genocidal empires. The Ai is also much more aggressive about pursuing Galactic Custodianship these days.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

The only time I've seen a player be declared a Crisis by the Galactic Community is by very VERY heavy vote manipulation (from me :sun:) and I have no idea how much you need to piss everyone off for it to happen naturally.

It happens pretty regularly if you play a swarm or purifier, outbuild the galaxy in fleet size and eat a couple neighbors (which is exactly what happened in this example). The rest of the community will vote against you right quick even if you don't take the crisis perk.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shadowlyger posted:

No they didn't. They were declared a Crisis by the Galactic Community. You can pass a resolution to do that, which causes all Community members to immediately declare eternal hellwar on the unfortunate target.

You can pass a resolution to end the Crisis declaration, but the better option would have been to actually pay attention to the community and nip that in the bud.

they're a devouring swarm, no GC for them
i actually really appreciate how quick the GC is to get their poo poo together wrt threats
the only thing I'd change about the GC is make it so there's a vote every year

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jack Trades posted:

Be a Devouring Swarm and eat one measly civilization into extinction, I guess?

I honestly don't know, I've never had it happen to me before.

ulmont posted:

…they became the Crisis.
No, I didn't. They voted and declared me the Crisis. I never took that Ascension, let alone exploded a single star.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Can you still see what the GC is doing if you're not part of it? Because if so eating the Empire that proposed making you the Crisis would probably reset the timer on the proposal.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Can you still see what the GC is doing if you're not part of it? Because if so eating the Empire that proposed making you the Crisis would probably reset the timer on the proposal.
No, it’s disabled. As the tooltip likes to remind you, Devouring Swarms do not conduct diplomacy with other races, they eat them.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Well I guess it's really just accelerating your pre-existing plans of eating everyone.

Get a-chompin', there's a lot of them out there.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You should be able to spy on the GC, just for funsies.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

You should be able to spy on the GC, just for funsies.
Oh, that would be really cool! And you could have missions to subvert the delegates and sabotage votes or sneak your own measures in, that would be a great feature and a way for non-GC races to use influence and envoys in the midgame.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Theotus posted:

Maybe a weird question, but have any of you played this game as like a chill civ builder? Solo in your own galaxy maybe with minors, but no fallen empires or anything? If you did how did it go? I really like the idea of RPing a society, but in games like this I always feel like even though I can pause I am not being fast enough or doing everything right and it kind of stops me from actually learning to play.

I do, kind of - for me Stellaris is mostly story generator about my fully automated gay space communism, so my setup is no AI empires, one fallen empire for flavor and primitives to uplift. Sometimes Fatherlands mod for splinter empires, but they are never strong enough to be anything more than flavor. That way I don't have to worry about meta and staying competitive until midgame crisis and I can focus on roleplay instead of optimal gameplay.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

:cthulhu: Instead of voting on whether to make Maldoux the Swarm That Hungers a crisis we should vote on whether Tithyanki need to be protected.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
As part of my semi-annual "all the random mods I can fit in" playthrough, the Enigmatic Observer FE that is displeased with me has decided to park their combined fleet in one of my defensive systems and is just sitting there while I slowly approach parity. It's a neat bit of personality that I'm not sure is mod inspired, a new feature, or just a random good story beat draw.

If it comes to war, it's gonna be real short.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The reanimator civic is pretty good.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

As part of my semi-annual "all the random mods I can fit in" playthrough, the Enigmatic Observer FE that is displeased with me has decided to park their combined fleet in one of my defensive systems and is just sitting there while I slowly approach parity. It's a neat bit of personality that I'm not sure is mod inspired, a new feature, or just a random good story beat draw.

If it comes to war, it's gonna be real short.

I've noticed the AI has a tendency to move a fleet to deal with something and then just let the fleet sit there if there's nothing else they need to do. Very obvious with a FE because their fleet will sit in a border system for centuries, but I've seen it with federation allies too when there were no wars going on.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sandweed posted:

The reanimator civic is pretty good.

Now I want to make a fungoid devouring swarm with cordyceps, set their homeworld to Earth, and name them the Clicker Empire.

Actually y’know what, I’m gonna.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

CapnAndy posted:

Now I want to make a fungoid devouring swarm with cordyceps, set their homeworld to Earth, and name them the Clicker Empire.

Actually y’know what, I’m gonna.

The free fleets you can get with Cordyceptic Reanimation Facilities are neat, but in the long run they seem to be a burden. If I use the space amoebae in fleets with regular ships, the amoebae slow down the whole fleet and I really like my strategic mobility. If I use them by themselves, they're still slow and also kinda weak. The only thing they have going for them is that they're free, which I acknowledge is extremely useful in the early game, and means I can use them for mopping up minor outposts while my main fleets beeline for the important stuff.

CapnAndy posted:

Be a Devouring Swarm and eat one measly civilization into extinction, I guess?

I honestly don't know, I've never had it happen to me before.
Yeah, that's what happened to me as well. I ate an empire or two, and got declared a crisis. It's a bit of a problem, because being forced into war like this is messing with my economy, but I just set up a couple bastions at chokepoints in the north of my empire, then marched south and around the galaxy until they stopped being a problem.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I've not played in a few patches - are there any mods that took over from Vanilla AVB that add a bunch of buildings with higher tiers of the OG vanilla buildings?

I like that mod, but it's been built, abandoned, repicked up, and abandoned like three times

e: also, is there any civic or mod, that converts alien races to yours? I know having a mono-race is substantially easier on the end game calculations than having a shitload of them

tithin fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 26, 2023

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Additional Vanilla Buildings/Components/Weapons are updated to current if not actively being developed. I like to run that and ACOT which does its own higher tier weapons lines and pretend I have competing industry.

Synthetic ascension let's you turn everyone in your empire into the same model toaster.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Necrophage purifiers have a special purge option that turns pops into their race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Necrophage purifiers have a special purge option that turns pops into their race

And it's the most overpowered thing. I've created a bunch of them that are forced to spawn, including a couple of devouring swarm cordyceptic necrophages. I've modded it so that reanimated space monsters have proper thrusters/drives though, because they are really dumb otherwise.