Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Looking for a new TV stand/entertainment center and apparently none of the people who design these things have more than one electronic hooked up to their TVs. I think a grand total of one of these units has had more than one small opening in the back for cables to go through. We have like 6 consoles that I want to hook up (mostly old school ones, but still) :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any reason it needs to be a traditional entertainment center?

I have my TV mounted to the wall and then a low/wide cabinet to hold everything and then wire up through the wall.

Edit: Also the back plates for those entertainment centers are usually really lovely and you can drill out your own holes super easy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pomme de Terror posted:

Looking for a new TV stand/entertainment center and apparently none of the people who design these things have more than one electronic hooked up to their TVs. I think a grand total of one of these units has had more than one small opening in the back for cables to go through. We have like 6 consoles that I want to hook up (mostly old school ones, but still) :mad:

Can you use a hole saw on any of the centres you've been looking at? It's pretty much exactly what they're made for.

Cut out a hole, slip in a cable grommet and you're all sorted, nice and neat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Those are also great for drilling a hole into the particle board dividers in a bathroom. Make sure to sand!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Inzombiac posted:

I currently have to go to the office two days a week. We just got an email from the boss for a mandatory meeting about "The future of working from home."

They're going to take it away. Those fuckers.

So the future of working from home is NOT working from home then. I swear, people completely lose their ability to be straightforward when they're put in positions of power.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

YeahTubaMike posted:

So the future of working from home is NOT working from home then. I swear, people completely lose their ability to be straightforward when they're put in positions of power.

Yeah, the only people wanting to come back are the ones that hate their kids/spouse.
There's literally nothing we need to do in the office.

They want us back for "team building and water cooler moments" but get mad when we are being social.

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US?!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
my job just switched us back to 5 day work weeks from 4 days and I haaaaaaaate iiiiiiiitttt

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Unionize

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, the only people wanting to come back are the ones that hate their kids/spouse.

They want us back for "team building and water cooler moments" but get mad when we are being social.

I'm childless & single, and tbh I strongly prefer working in an office. The separation of work & home feels more solid that way. :shrug:

What I DO hate is being used to "prove a point" in absurdly skewed/biased statistics that show that every millennial who likes working from home is actually just a lazy rear end in a top hat who needs to be put in their place or whatever.

Panty Saluter posted:

my job just switched us back to 5 day work weeks from 4 days and I haaaaaaaate iiiiiiiitttt

I know I just mentioned the bias of these work-related statistics, but like...aren't there multiple studies from myriad sources about 4-day workweeks being objectively more productive than 5-day ones?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm childless & single, and tbh I strongly prefer working in an office. The separation of work & home feels more solid that way. :shrug:
:hai:
it's nice to simply leave the laptop at your desk and leave. during mandatory wfh I'd just keep going forever

everybody else should be allowed to stay home tho, keep the offices leased for those three people with brainworms per company and all will be well

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

YeahTubaMike posted:

I know I just mentioned the bias of these work-related statistics, but like...aren't there multiple studies from myriad sources about 4-day workweeks being objectively more productive than 5-day ones?

Yep. 4 day work weeks are a universal success.
The best I can hope for is MAYBE getting a 4/10s schedule.

It won't spread far quickly because once people get a taste for it, they will refuse to go back and bosses hate making people happy.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Ruffian Price posted:

:hai:
it's nice to simply leave the laptop at your desk and leave. during mandatory wfh I'd just keep going forever

My last job was entirely remote, without even the option of working in the office since the office was across the country from me, and when I was learning automation stuff (I do QA) I would go over all the time. A proper first world problem: disliking working from home because one likes one's job so much that accidentally doing too much of it is a real possibility. An EXTREME oversimplication, and I'm definitely not trying to put words in your mouth.

quote:

everybody else should be allowed to stay home tho, keep the offices leased for those three people with brainworms per company and all will be well

Indeed. Pro-choice!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I definitely feel that way. 8 hours doesn't move that much faster. Not enough to buffer the loss of the third day off.

As for production in MY case idk. we are a maintenance team so the coverage probably helps a lot. But I hope it doesn't and they switch us back

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Told my boss that if we are expected to come in any more to the office, I'll start looking for other work.
He's never in the office and his boss rarely is either, yet they expect all of us to show up.

If I was getting paid a fair wage for my work, I wouldn't mind so much...

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Those are also great for drilling a hole into the particle board dividers in a bathroom. Make sure to sand!

You can use flex tape to prevent a lot of damage

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Inzombiac posted:

Any reason it needs to be a traditional entertainment center?

I have my TV mounted to the wall and then a low/wide cabinet to hold everything and then wire up through the wall.

Edit: Also the back plates for those entertainment centers are usually really lovely and you can drill out your own holes super easy.

Mostly that we rent and our TV is heavy, beyond that I would absolutely mount it.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can you use a hole saw on any of the centres you've been looking at? It's pretty much exactly what they're made for.

Cut out a hole, slip in a cable grommet and you're all sorted, nice and neat.

... I legitimately don't know why I hadn't thought of this... :tipshat:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I ate more than half of my lunch sandwich before I discovered the bread had fuzz on it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I brought my Drake posted:

I ate more than half of my lunch sandwich before I discovered the bread had fuzz on it.

People eat ham sandwiches all the time

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I always feel like I deserve to stuff a loaded weapon in my mouth and make the world a better place, because I absolutely fuckin hate working from home. I'm about to move into a bigger place because I'm tired of my job being in the same room I sleep in. I absolutely hate that my job uses my electricity, heat, and space rent-free. I miss that degree of separation dearly. I hate commuting to work too, but I don't know if the cost was worth it.

I look forward to the option to work remotely being a class signifier.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I bought the Bubblegum Crisis shirt from a dope bootlegger and I should have bought the Dodonpachi shirt instead.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Star Man posted:

I always feel like I deserve to stuff a loaded weapon in my mouth and make the world a better place, because I absolutely fuckin hate working from home. I'm about to move into a bigger place because I'm tired of my job being in the same room I sleep in. I absolutely hate that my job uses my electricity, heat, and space rent-free. I miss that degree of separation dearly. I hate commuting to work too, but I don't know if the cost was worth it.

I look forward to the option to work remotely being a class signifier.

You might just hate work, which is normal because work sucks

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Improbable Lobster posted:

You might just hate work, which is normal because work sucks

I do hate work in general, but a regular job keeps me in line and functioning. Working for a shithead florist pulled my rear end out of depression because I was just doing something on a regular basis at the same time every day. I am apparently brain damaged for thinking that work-from-home is a terrible idea in the first place. My job being in my home is inviting more tyranny into it. I can't just go home and it not be there. Now it's one corner of my bedroom.

It's an hourly federal job, overtime is completely voluntary with approval, unionized, and pretty strict about working outside of my schedule. There is no expectation for me to be always available and work after hours.

I also just miss the social aspect of it. I have no work friends, I have no idea what the people I work with or talk to even look like outside of my team. My team is just people under my manager's watch, we don't even do anything as a group besides attend the same meetings.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What agency do you work for?
I have friends at the DoL that all have to be in the office but they haven't explained why.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
There are some coworking spaces at places like Office Depot that always seemed completely empty the few times I've poked my head in. If I had a WFH job I think I'd probably try out one of those as long as it was extremely cheap or free.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Inzombiac posted:

What agency do you work for?
I have friends at the DoL that all have to be in the office but they haven't explained why.

I jockey a phone for the IRS. I get my first jump in grade in May and will be applying to everything I have the tiniest shot at getting that's GS 07 with a higher ending grade than GS 08. I just need my year-in-grade at GS 05 first. Pittsburgh's a poo poo town for federal jobs, but I'm not interested in moving either because I can actually afford it here.

Inspector 34 posted:

There are some coworking spaces at places like Office Depot that always seemed completely empty the few times I've poked my head in. If I had a WFH job I think I'd probably try out one of those as long as it was extremely cheap or free.

That is not possible with my job because I deal with PII all day. Nor would I rent additional space when I could just go in office. The only thing keeping out of the office every day is that I work a shitload of overtime (ten hours per week. Have to catch up to the $800 per month I gave up from converting to full-time as a postal clerk somehow) and issues I'm having with my issued credit card to pay for the bus pass.

Star Man has a new favorite as of 07:55 on Mar 9, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Losing track of a thread. Someone was talking about dr demento on the live forums and I have no way of finding that poo poo

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Star Man posted:

I work a shitload of overtime (ten hours per week.
And here I thought me working 70-72 hrs a week or 11-13 days in a row of 10's was a shitload.

Like you said it's union and anything over 40 is optional, but I try to spread the punishment with my coworkers.
I'm also government so I do occasionally luck into some work like tie this lifeline rope for another construction craft, then remove it at the end of the day, thanks! Collect $400

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

More like OldPostLess

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I got my mmj card and I'm happy but I'm also outside of the delivery area so I gotta go drive in order to buy expensive weed to try and fix my brain. Dammit.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Working from home improves productivity and the last thing middle management wants is for anyone to realize that they're not just useless, they actively make things worse.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I feel kinda dumb with this one but I get irritated when I see a link of someone showing off their cosplay and instead of it, you know, being cosplay it's some chick showing her rear end in a top hat while she's wearing a blue wig.

I mean I understand how onlyfans works and I get you gotta advertise, but I was looking for cool cosplays of armors and games and costumes. I don't think butt naked wearing a colored wig really counts.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

The catalytic converter was stolen out of my Prius. I use my car for work so I'm effectively unemployed until it is fixed. My insurance company gave my phone number to a tow company but transposed some digits so it wasn't picked up for a week after I requested, and in that time the auto shop it was going to be sent to filled up on appointments. Now that auto shop has sent my car to an impound and I'm on the line for the fees.

The auto shop that it is now being sent to is full up until April 17, so I'm not able to work for over a month by the time it's fixed, and I have a $1000 deductible on top of losing a months of wages plus whatever impound fees. Also, my tire was devastated from the cutting off of my catalytic converter, and I have a gnawing suspicion my insurance won't cover it.

As a person who believes in karma, I'm pretty sure the universe just hates the poo poo out of me, because in the last 12 months:

1)my 3 year old dog was diagnosed with lymphoma
2)my wife and I spent all our savings fighting said lymphoma
3)my brother killed himself orphaning his children
4)said dog subsequently died
5)my cat died
6)this poo poo

What's the fuckin point in this bleak desolate hellscape we call living

Hit or miss Clitoris has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Apr 1, 2023

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I thought the car still works without it. It just poisons the air

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
In an effort to be wholesome on April Fool's Day, I might have accidentally posted something too believable on Facebook for the second year in a row. :smith:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

mlnhd posted:

I thought the car still works without it. It just poisons the air

It also becomes incredibly loving loud, as happened when my dad had it stolen it out of his. It took a month for the mechanics to get ahold of a replacement for some reason and let me tell you, the neighbors were *not happy* about him rumbling into the parking lot at 7 in the morning after his night shifts.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

There's a $250-10000 fine in my state for driving without one, and it's super loud. Like a diesel motorcycle hauling a cart of cymbals loud, easy to notice.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I do tech support for a cybersecurity company that scans email, and a recent update broke the links in these email notices we send out when users get quarantined mail. There is still a way for them to log into a portal and view these emails, but it’s new to a lot of people and has caused a lot of disruption.

The true victim in all of this is, of course, me, the level 1 tech guy who has to spend the next couple days dealing with the customers dealing with this.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

The catalytic converter was stolen out of my Prius. I use my car for work so I'm effectively unemployed until it is fixed. My insurance company gave my phone number to a tow company but transposed some digits so it wasn't picked up for a week after I requested, and in that time the auto shop it was going to be sent to filled up on appointments. Now that auto shop has sent my car to an impound and I'm on the line for the fees.

The auto shop that it is now being sent to is full up until April 17, so I'm not able to work for over a month by the time it's fixed, and I have a $1000 deductible on top of losing a months of wages plus whatever impound fees. Also, my tire was devastated from the cutting off of my catalytic converter, and I have a gnawing suspicion my insurance won't cover it.

As a person who believes in karma, I'm pretty sure the universe just hates the poo poo out of me, because in the last 12 months:

1)my 3 year old dog was diagnosed with lymphoma
2)my wife and I spent all our savings fighting said lymphoma
3)my brother killed himself orphaning his children
4)said dog subsequently died
5)my cat died
6)this poo poo

What's the fuckin point in this bleak desolate hellscape we call living

Sorry about 1 to 5.

But for nuber 6 you can do a temporary fix that will cut down on the noise. Just get a piece of exhaust system piping and cut it to fit the gap created by the missing catalytic converter. Is it legal? Probably not, but hopefully you can just it around until your scheduled appointment comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm thirsty as hell, but I'm too full of food to drink any water. :smith: