Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Listening to the RIPD episode I was laughing along about Schwentke's filmography until I realized he'd actually directed a movie I liked. The Captain is...pretty good? Maybe his pre-Hollywood German movies were ok, I don't have much hope for his Malkovich as Seneca film but hey maybe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zurtilik posted:

Why use a gun and not an actual melee weapon?

It's a mathematically precise supreme martial art. Thus all aspects of the gun are taken into account. Especially when you run out of bullets and realize holding an empty rifle isn't cool. Naturally, that's when you break out the sword calculations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcs2En6tGRw

I always love the part where he intently scans the room, but is unable to see the two guys standing literally inches in front of him.

Also how disgusted bad guy is, seemingly with the quality of the cgi.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

And immediately afterwards they DO use guns as a melee weapons...sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqQJOr4Rx5k

Tag yourself, I'm the JPG of Taye Diggs' face pasted on the floor at 1:29

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
I'm going to utilize this same strategy the next time I'm slowly encircled by some goons who are just waiting for me to make my move.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Is Chris farting and groaning in the 2/20 on screen lmao

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I hope they get the almost-text subtext that's going on in the DS9 ep In the Pale Moonlight, or at least one of them picks up on it. It's so good.

All Garak did was manipulate Sisko and plant a bomb, and he brought the Romulans into the war. Everything else he fed Sisko about what he was doing was just bullshit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Garak is such a great character. Even in the stinker episodes, like the one where Quark has to be a woman as part of a scheme, I don't think there are any bad Garak scenes.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Gleep Glossary: A Star Wars Story #50 - Count Dooku (Live on Coruscant)

Erik continues to push the enveloper and it's great

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Gyges posted:

Garak is such a great character. Even in the stinker episodes, like the one where Quark has to be a woman as part of a scheme, I don't think there are any bad Garak scenes.

Really true. Even in the not-so-great-at-parts season 7 he's all-in. He has quite an arc over the course of the series, too. Probably also the single most capable agent/ops type in all of Trek.

But man that ep when you realize he did almost nothing but be patient and feed Sisko what he needed to hear along with some pretty subtle manipulations, it somehow elevates him past the already-high baseline.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Garak is like the anti-Worf. Worf is the embodiment of idealized Klingons, while Garak is the personification of the reality of Cardassia. Worf pals around with literal cloneKahlass and Garak is always honest, especially when lying.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gleep Glossary legitimately displays Eric’s love of and inspiration by late night especially early Letterman. I love it.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The reaction to Sisko slapping Garak clean across the room should be good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Watching Equilibrium right now and forgot completely about the dog massacre that takes place.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

dorium posted:

Watching Equilibrium right now and forgot completely about the dog massacre that takes place.

haha yeah. its a metaphor for the bad guys being evil. if i remember correctly christian bale sees a puppy so cute it gives him emotions again. absolutely one of the best dumb guy movies of all time. when i first watched it i was disappointed because I was expecting cooler, more traditional fight scenes but now I really appreciate how insanely silly and self serious they are.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I mean, it is a cute rear end puppy.

I wonder how many shoot 'em ups, where the safety of a puppy starts the opera of violence, there are.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Gyges posted:

I mean, it is a cute rear end puppy.

I wonder how many shoot 'em ups, where the safety of a puppy starts the opera of violence, there are.

aww i forgot it was a berner.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That one survives but the dog massacre is carried out by a faceless soldier with a shotgun. It’s quite something.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
If anyone wants to catch Driven, it’s available the way it was intended to be watched:

On Tubi, with commercials.

Triple edit: The Man Who Would be King is a lot of fun and beautifully shot.

Double edit: I have no idea who this movie is for.

Edit: Renny Harlin expects you keep track of way too many characters for a Renny Harlin race car movie.

mweber fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 27, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Stumbled upon this Ed Wood documentary that's a DVD extra from Plan 9 and figured fans of this thread might like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih-AfnqClwM

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Can't believe Eric is now in second place in the VHS Trailer Game. Who did he meet with at the bar before recording the episode that gave him the answers? :tinfoil: Seriously, it's awesome for him and I hope he enjoys it until the next round in March.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
My mind is reeling learning that Jon Turteltaub directed 3 Ninjas AND the best Barbarian Brothers movie.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Tato posted:

My mind is reeling learning that Jon Turteltaub directed 3 Ninjas AND the best Barbarian Brothers movie.

RIPD to David Barbarian.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BrownPepper posted:

haha yeah. its a metaphor for the bad guys being evil. if i remember correctly christian bale sees a puppy so cute it gives him emotions again. absolutely one of the best dumb guy movies of all time.

Kurt Wimmer is one of the all time dumb guy auteurs, he also wrote Law Abiding Citizen

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Kurt Wimmer is one of the all time dumb guy auteurs, he also wrote Law Abiding Citizen

He just made the new Children of the Corn movie, too. His first time behind the camera since Ultraviolet.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SilentChaz posted:

He just made the new Children of the Corn movie, too. His first time behind the camera since Ultraviolet.

oh man i did not know that was him, bizarrely excited for that movie now

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Wow, turns out Sadjak and I had the exact same Election Night '16 experience, lol. He didn't mention whether or not he finished the movie, I don't think.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gyges posted:

Garak is like the anti-Worf. Worf is the embodiment of idealized Klingons, while Garak is the personification of the reality of Cardassia. Worf pals around with literal cloneKahlass and Garak is always honest, especially when lying.
And then there is the mirror universe episode where Evil Worf clearly has a kinky thing going off with Mirror Garak.

DS9 Mirror episodes are great because everyone's just gayer and they even have a great gag where a character who is a hologram in their world is somehow just a normal guy in the Mirror Universe which doesn't even make sense.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tato posted:

I've only seen double trouble and the barbarians, think big is better?

Fake edit they were in dc cab which has to be their best movie.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Dunno all the shows they will use it on, but the new version of the theme that they debuted on the S3 Mando premiere episode is really good

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Like most of this thread I am pretty cold on WLM's most of the time but Man Who Would Be King was great since their opinion was pretty divided on the movie and thus we got to see some actual jokes as well as interesting discussion. They even mention at the end that they don't usually debate amongst themselves that often on pod.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I watched Driven last night.

I regret watching Driven last night.

I don't know why I'm going to watch The Covenant at some point today, but I am going to.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Covenant was a real disappointment. From the previews it looked fun bad, but it was just boring bad.

I'm pretty sure I saw Hard Rain as a kid, and I really hope it's as fun as I remember.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hard Rain has aspects to it that were fun but it never goes far enough for most of its runtime.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Maybe they should do Near Cinematic Masterpiece Heavy Rain

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zurtilik posted:

Maybe they should do Near Cinematic Masterpiece Heavy Rain

....dear god no, as a person who played Heavy Rain for the first time somewhat recently

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Cross-posting from the Physical Media thread...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1633579025955188737?s=20

Looks like someone just watched Equilibrium!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Gunkata is great cause I always saw it as the way fascists fantasize about violence they'd inflict on others with a gun.

Similar to how Hearts of Iron players think they'd be amazing generals.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Also, saw analysis (or just a post in pyf irrationally irritating movie moments) of how Equilibrium proves the fascist state right in the scene where Bale flat lines on the polygraph, but that's only if you put value the ability of clerics to do the state sanctioned murder with no emotion. What is actually going on there is Bale's character has an emotional crisis where he finds resolve going THROUGH his emotions instead of blocking them out entirely.

Catharsis as opposed to Repression. This movie is very deep.

https://i.imgur.com/gAQbXkO.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

watched The Covenant last night and did not realize that, like Driven, it's another '00s Renny Harlin movie. what are the odds?