Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mutantIke posted:

it's pretty funny that he got pestered to make "guy who sucks/got depression" shirts since the comic first dropped, refused for eons, and then finally printed it... as a sticker

He made the shirt, it's in my closet right now. One time I was wearing it at the liquor store and the clerk almost refused to sell to me. For a while it became my default "Shirt to wear when I'm going out for the night with friends in an unfamiliar city" shirt. Always a conversation starter at a bar or a club; one time a girl made me take photos with her because she thought it was that funny.

feetnotes posted:

Up yours Dilbert

horse dogg maniac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Been almost 20 days since I placed that order and still nothing regarding it getting shipped, think I should try reaching out to Onstad about this?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

JethroMcB posted:

He made the shirt, it's in my closet right now. One time I was wearing it at the liquor store and the clerk almost refused to sell to me. For a while it became my default "Shirt to wear when I'm going out for the night with friends in an unfamiliar city" shirt. Always a conversation starter at a bar or a club; one time a girl made me take photos with her because she thought it was that funny.

My younger brother gifted me a plain black t-shirt that says, in unassuming white font, "I AM NOT A SEX OFFENDER". I've worn it exactly once, at his behest. I understand your plight

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

mutantIke posted:

My younger brother gifted me a plain black t-shirt that says, in unassuming white font, "I AM NOT A SEX OFFENDER". I've worn it exactly once, at his behest. I understand your plight

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
idk why you'd post that instead of the original

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Pope Guilty posted:

I have to admit that I have no idea what horse dogg maniac means.

Neither do I, but it still lives rent-free in my head forever.

I slightly hate that my most commonly used Achewoodism is hidden in the alt-text behind two ugly naked dudes fighting.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

mutantIke posted:

idk why you'd post that instead of the original

Well I'll be damned. I've got a few angry anonymous asks to send.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RocketMermaid posted:

I slightly hate that my most commonly used Achewoodism is hidden in the alt-text behind two ugly naked dudes fighting.

that strip/alt text combo is like the closest Achewood got to doing a Far Side bit and it’s wonderful

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RocketMermaid posted:

Neither do I, but it still lives rent-free in my head forever.

I love it, I delight in showing people the combination, it (almost) always causes shocked laughter and happiness :)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

New shirt on the Achewood store:

Front: You can do whatever you want in life
Back: Being in trouble is a fake idea

He'd sell out quick sharp.

Onstad it is six years later and you are still leaving money on the table

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Onstad it is six years later and you are still leaving money on the table
I'd think it's an admirable, Watterman-esque refusal to compromise his art by putting it on T-shirts outside of his terms, but given Onstad's track record, it could just be incompetence

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Jerusalem posted:

Ray hears Cornelius sobbing, immediately comes to the obvious (and agreed upon by his friends) conclusion that he went out to get breakfast and left a machine running that he uses to help him ignore crying. :hmmyes:

This is when I discover I’ve misread that strip as about a machine to help practice crying, instead of a machine to practice ignoring crying, this whole time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Do you think you can hang with the dirtiest dudes in town?
https://twitter.com/holly_bourneYA/status/1630505518488862723?s=20

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

One time I was wearing it at the liquor store and the clerk almost refused to sell to me.

I feel like you just slipped in some of the funniest poo poo I've ever heard. Did he think you were underage or suicidal? I can't believe you found someone who cares that much.

I've done some moonlighting in the liquor store during my Publix days and I can almost promise that 99.9% of clerks are only capable of three thoughts during checkout, and it doesn't matter if you're half naked or in a bumblebee costume.

"Does he have an ID" "Is he shoplifting" "When the hell can I clock out".

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
there was a time in high school and undergrad where I thought posting context-free Achewoodisms and postpunk lyrics and such on my social media was funny and cool and smart, and not off-putting and alienating and worrying, because two or three of my friends understood them while literally nobody else who saw them did

how I managed to end up living with an attractive woman in my twenties, after meeting her in college no less, is honestly a matter of miracle

at least now when I broadcast my mental illness to the internet I have the good sense to exclusively keep it behind my SA forums account

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Scags McDouglas posted:

I feel like you just slipped in some of the funniest poo poo I've ever heard. Did he think you were underage or suicidal? I can't believe you found someone who cares that much.

I was there with my buddy, we were both 22/23 at the time, it was mid/late afternoon and we were in full "Let's get a bottle for our WILD Friday night (of hanging out at his apartment playing Wii)" mode. The guy at the register was older, the kind of guy who likely took the job part-time out of boredom after 6 months of retirement, and was probably just looking to hassle the boisterous kids who interrupted his otherwise quiet afternoon shift. "The back of your shirt says you're depressed! I don't know if it's wise for me to sell alcohol to somebody who goes around advertising that kind of thing."

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Ok Comboomer posted:

there was a time in high school and undergrad where I thought posting context-free Achewoodisms and postpunk lyrics and such on my social media was funny and cool and smart

Choosing not to read past this point

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

I was there with my buddy, we were both 22/23 at the time, it was mid/late afternoon and we were in full "Let's get a bottle for our WILD Friday night (of hanging out at his apartment playing Wii)" mode. The guy at the register was older, the kind of guy who likely took the job part-time out of boredom after 6 months of retirement, and was probably just looking to hassle the boisterous kids who interrupted his otherwise quiet afternoon shift. "The back of your shirt says you're depressed! I don't know if it's wise for me to sell alcohol to somebody who goes around advertising that kind of thing."

Hahah.

If I were the clerk and someone reasonably convinced me they were depressed I'd just point them to whatever deals we had on the 1.75's

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

It sounds like maybe he was the guy who sucks.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

JethroMcB posted:

This is basically what Roast Beef was terrified would happen to him

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My awkward Achewood shirt anecdote is that I bought a Here Comes A Special Boy shirt my freshman year of college, and when I came home for Christmas, my mother assumed it was my boyfriend's because it was a "boy shirt"

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I've bought three here comes a special girl t-shirts. one for the girlfriend who left, one for the wife who didn't and one for the child who hopefully will someday

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Mom, I'm not the special boy. Philippe is the special boy. He's on the shirt"

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

The Voice of Labor posted:

I've bought three here comes a special girl t-shirts. one for the girlfriend who left, one for the wife who didn't and one for the child who hopefully will someday

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

beef's music video inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxLhytQ67fs

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Some knuckleheads on Twitter are debating whether the "D" in Disney actually looks like a "D" or not, and all I can think of is Roast Beef's Disney Fantasy Signature that looks like "DOAST DEEF".

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Fat Puerto Rican George Clooney: A neat concept

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

RocketMermaid posted:

Some knuckleheads on Twitter are debating whether the "D" in Disney actually looks like a "D" or not, and all I can think of is Roast Beef's Disney Fantasy Signature that looks like "DOAST DEEF".

it used to bother me as a child but then I turned 8 and realized handwriting doesn't have to look like a D'Nealian practice book.

i can see how twitter users might find it challenging though

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oh my god

someone else who lived through d'nealian

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Oh so is that what that poo poo is called. Bane of elementary schools everywhere

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Now that is a name I have not heard since small times.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I never thought D'nealian was that bad. I know, the sickness is inside me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I never knew this particular style of writing had a name, I thought that's just what everybody was taught in school! :aaa:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's news to me as well. Those lessons were murder for a left-handed kid in the early 90s.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Cooling it with a rental is peak Achewood IMO. It’s between that one and Historical Moviephone, tbh.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Any Achewood comic where you can see a penis is an all-timer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

It's news to me as well. Those lessons were murder for a left-handed kid in the early 90s.

:sigh::hf::smith:

Our "reward" for good handwriting was that we were allowed to write in pen instead of pencil, and as a leftie that was a rough time.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I never knew this particular style of writing had a name, I thought that's just what everybody was taught in school! :aaa:

i got d'nealian in kindergarten and zaner-bloser in first (print) and second grade (script)

it was kind of a mess

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh hey, some trauma I had pushed down, how's it hangin, been a while

Did you get the weird triangle thing on your pencil to try to teach you how to hold it "correctly?" And if so did you just learn a really hosed up way of holding it so that you've never been able to learn how to use chopsticks good? Or was that just me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As a kid I perfected that weirdo grip to keep from smudging everything, never once considered maybe that's why I'm not very good with chopsticks! (it may also be an unrelated issue around me being an uncoordinated mess!).

As an adult, whenever I do write with pen to paper I've completely lost the muscle memory for that grip and just smudge everything, since I guess almost everything I write now is on a keyboard. It did put a major dampener on my drawing though, since I'd inevitably smudge what I was working on, but drawing on a tablet never felt as "real" to me as on a pad of paper.