Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How many special moves can Hikari know at once? Seems like he could get some absolutely insane moves using that mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Five at a time IIRC

It's a nice incentive to beat people up, and certainly beats OT1's "Grind NPCs for rare end game gear drops".

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

Five at a time IIRC

It's a nice incentive to beat people up, and certainly beats OT1's "Grind NPCs for rare end game gear drops".

I’ve been beating up way more NPC’s in this game which is kinda funny. Like, mugging a nun or beating up a random old dudes for their belongings. Kind of amazing how there is no morality system and you can be as big of a dick as you want lol

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I've been interrogating as many people as Osvald as I can and there's a lot of neat little backstory around. LIke a little girl whose grandparents tell her her parents have been on a years long work trip, while the girl suspects they aren't actually her grandparents.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I like how the Scholar gets to beat people up and steal their stuff you’re good, but if you look at them wrong you lose reputation.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hell the game knows its encouraging you to be an rear end in a top hat. I love the incidental fluff when you way lay someone at night as the cleric. This gentleman does not have any valuable information. By the way he is unemployed, miserable, and his wife left him just yesterday. Nice job gamer. Lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm only doing chapter 2s for the majority of the cast but I'm finding everyone very useful. All of them have strong kits that do fairly unique stuff.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

OT1 had the Grandport Thieving Circuit, so they already said "gently caress it" to morals. Want to steal candy and toys from children? Sure, what the hell!

My favorite Path Action is Castii's night, which is described like you're helping cure people with medical problems, but what it actually means is you drug people to break into their homes to steal their stuff.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

OT1 had the Grandport Thieving Circuit, so they already said "gently caress it" to morals. Want to steal candy and toys from children? Sure, what the hell!

My favorite Path Action is Castii's night, which is described like you're helping cure people with medical problems, but what it actually means is you drug people to break into their homes to steal their stuff.

Force-feeding people sleeping potion to steal their stuff is part of the Apothecary’s Creed, obviously

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A wild-eyed hobo, an unscrupulous inquisitor, a sneering assassin, and a beast-human accompanied by 6 slavering monsters all enter a bar.

"What'll you have?"

"Everything. Hand it over."

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Mega64 posted:

With night actions you now have sixteen options, of which you can achieve four things (get NPC info, get items, recruit NPCs, KO NPCs) each in four different ways (level-based, percent chance, spend resources, or fight the NPC), with the exception that you can't recruit NPCs by beating them up (which I guess makes sense since that'd be pretty messed up) so you still have two "fight to KO" mechanics.

Don't have a point to this, just thought it was neat.

You also can't spend money to apply the KO state to the NPCs either.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Owl or Jackal?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Do I need to be looking out for items in the world in any other way than in a treasure chest? Like do I need to sidle up to every closet and whatnot looking for interactables?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Anno posted:

Do I need to be looking out for items in the world in any other way than in a treasure chest? Like do I need to sidle up to every closet and whatnot looking for interactables?

Anything like that will have a bright, glowing blue dot. I wouldn't worry about it.

The game hides loot from you using 3D scenery and clever camera angles, not by forcing you to do pixel searches.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shyfted One posted:

Owl or Jackal?

They're equal in power level (and like H'aanit's cat, quickly obsoleted by like level 25-30). I went with the owl because I like owls.

If you're trying to minmax, the owl hitting magic weakpoints is slightly more useful than the jackal hitting physical weakpoints. The difference is, in practice, negligible.

Pick the critter you think is cuter.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I picked the owl because it reminded me of Rowlet who is one of my favorite starters in Pokémon.

What’s the deal with Partitio’s Scent of Commerce things? Are they just side quests? Do they ever expire?

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Shyfted One posted:

Owl or Jackal?

I went with Owl because Owls are extremely cool. (Plus potentially more useful mechanically?)

The writing in this game is a lot tighter and more endearing than in the first so far. I've done like, 5.5 Chapters One (i'm in the middle of Hikari's atm) and the setups are just, more interesting? I think it helps that the world design is a lot less formulaic and that the travelers feel more enmeshed in it. Castti and Throne have been my favorites so far. I'm also loving the non-linear paths (technically gated by level but you get strong enough just exploring that you can sidestep that).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I picked the owl because it reminded me of Rowlet who is one of my favorite starters in Pokémon.

What’s the deal with Partitio’s Scent of Commerce things? Are they just side quests? Do they ever expire?

They are side quests that unlock some stuff. Two are pretty simple quests, while the last one requires 100k leaves but gives you something cool.

I still need to grind all that money up, though I'm only halfway through the chapter 2's so I'm in no real rush there.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

They are side quests that unlock some stuff. Two are pretty simple quests, while the last one requires 100k leaves but gives you something cool.

I still need to grind all that money up, though I'm only halfway through the chapter 2's so I'm in no real rush there.

I’ve already got close to 100k leaves but I’ll need some to buy equipment and stuff. I looked up the reward and even though the game said those are optional, apparently you have to buy it to beat the game lol

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Pretty much everything in the game is completely broken in terms of power level (special shoutouts to armsmaster and merchant though) until you get to the endgame bosses that are equally as broken, and seemingly just make up random bullshit on the fly, like "i'm taking 3 extra turns, changing my weaknesses, and increasing shields to 10", or "these two characters aren't dead, but they are effectively removed from the battle until next break, but if you don't break by the end of this turn you get OHKOed".

That keeps it interesting, I guess, but the devs really like the whole giving bosses 3 different ways to insantly game over your full-health party 3/4ths of the way through a fight.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think the hardest 1v1 prologue fight so far has been Cassti's for me. Nothing where it was too tough but definitely kept me on my toes more than the Eastern Continent prologues.

I noticed characters will have specific callouts to each other in combat; I don't recall that being a thing in Octopath1? Like Tenemos will say "good show, Osvald" or Throne will shriek out someone's name when they're in critical health.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Hired help was the absolute MVP for me being able to beat the shark and the whirlpool boss despite my party being under level 30. Sure, having a 9-strength aoe club attack and 8-strength 1x sword (single target) hit helped a lot on the whirlpool boss and their 95k hp and armsmaster Hikari just absolutely ruins an enemy in break with his LP 2-hit + bonus move and the conqueror sword but even without those, being able to put def up on the party and atk/def down on a target at will through the power of money is extremely potent and I had a lot of round with people dead and/or multiple others at critical hp instead of a party wipe due to it.

Pretty similar to how I used merchant to beat the adv job bosses in OT1 super early on, though I haven't had to use the veteran soldiers for 30k yet in OT2.

I imagine that in an optimal setup Hikari using their 2x slash + bonus move with a full BP bar is going to be tough to beat since you could use 2 BP for the 2x hit, and then 3BP to do a max powered move on the followup. Though you'll need a really powerful move, like the warrior divine skill or hired help, to make it worth it due to how hard the 2x LP move hits.

DLC Inc posted:

I noticed characters will have specific callouts to each other in combat; I don't recall that being a thing in Octopath1? Like Tenemos will say "good show, Osvald" or Throne will shriek out someone's name when they're in critical health.

It's new in this game.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

So I finally grabbed my last person, who I had been putting off because I wasn't a fan of his style (Partito) and God drat it if he isn't the most likeable character so far.

I'm currently rolling with Osvald, Hikari, Ochette, and Agnea. They're all like 12-18 now. I just picked up bewildering grace the other day and used it on a fight randomly and got a JP x 100, which got me 2900 jp on the way out of Ochette's town.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I had to grit my teeth and blow all my good poo poo recovery items but I manged to punch through Temenos's last boss, just a total gently caress fest on my part.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Castii is so good for sustain on long journeys, especially when dipping into significantly higher level areas. I've mapped nearly the entire Western continent so far sub-level 30. Using her limit breaky thing with several BP (thanks, Merchant subjob) lets you heal HP/SP to full for the entire party as well as add stat boosts or clear effects and it seems to fill up again so fast. I am just now making my way to the east but so far the Western party has tons of great synergy.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Story rankings for me, individually, not taking into account how they relate to the larger story:

1/2 tie. Throne

Positives: A rather cheesy plot twist at the end that I didn't really see coming because I wasn't looking into the hints too much. Out of the bunch, it also has the final encounter that feels like a classic dethrone god jRPG story. Cliche or not, I like how strikingly genre appropriate it feels. I like the idea that suddenly, what you think to be a mere order of thieves has a larger place in controlling the dealings of the world as a whole.

Negatives: The game never really elaborates on any of specifics behind the collar that Throne is obsessed with freeing herself from. It doesn't seem to exist for anything other than symbolic purposes, as it doesn't seem to limit her abilities physically or mentally in any capacity, nor does it ever stand out as an identifying marker that gets her recognized and thus hinders her dealings. There isn't really any explanation behind the mastermind's abilities and backstory other than that he exists "for reasons he will not get into". Maybe there is some deeper lore hidden about, but it seems like it is a case of trying to jam a larger story in a small space and losing some of the background needed. I feel like this story could have been expanded to fit a much larger space, with detailed background for most of the characters involved. I cannot say if that story would be uniquely compelling or not, but it would at least be fun.

1/2 tie. Castti

Positives: This one does the best job of showing you that Castti is affecting the lives of the side characters in the story in a positive way, which stands in direct comparison to Agnea's, whom has a somewhat exaggerated impacts through overly dramatic interpretations of more mundane actions. I like how Castti is haunted by the ghosts of her failures, which are inevitably exorcised after they complete their role in her journey to redemption and recovery.

Negatives: I can't really think of very much bad about this story, it was perhaps the best written of the bunch. It works more on the scale a character arc (which is possibly better for this game) than trying to expand past the scope of the story like Throne's does.

3. Partitio

Positives: A good account of the anime protagonist merchant who is able to overcome any challenge that is put before him through pure determination and values.

Negatives: It's always a little bit strange to me when stories like this try to John Madden historically relevant real world poo poo like industrialization, global commerce, etc into a world where they don't necessarily fit. One can appreciate how the story would try to incorporate larger concepts into its enclosed-space fantasy world, but it's another one of those things where there isn't necessarily enough space to do so. I think the game ultimately does do a good job of taking a look at one of the events that is leading to significant world-wide change on the more realistic, societal front. It just takes many creative liberties and shortcuts in doing so, as it needs to be extremely abridged.

4/5 tie. Temenos

Positives: Temenos is perhaps the most interesting character of the bunch. He is extremely jovial for what one would expect the title of "inquisitor" to demand in a professional capacity, with his detective-side working as an alternate means of fulfilling his job through means that completely flip expectations of how an inquisitor operates. Another anime protagonist character, for better and for worse.

Negatives: The sidekick character is annoyingly lawful good and courageous to the extent of protecting his beliefs through valor, but also timid and unwilling to protest to anything that runs counter to his personal values in any way other than a brief verbal disapproval. It's a bunch of "I don't like this at all, but we are gonna do it anyways" that doesn't feel like it leads to any kind of conflict or character growth, because the character will always just be strung along with the plot anyways. Not enough background info on the religious institutions of the game world, and the antagonistic characters.

4/5 tie. Osvald

Positives: Really dials in the madman who will resort to anything to achieve their goals angle, and is perhaps also good at portraying small fragments of similarity between the protag and antag.

Negatives: A lot of simple solutions to complicated problems, more so in the prison break segment of the story than the rest. Osvald and Harvey's positions and influence in society are too large to be convincingly placed into a fish-tank of a jRPG world. Seems like there is a pattern here.

6. Hikari

Positives: Pretty standard fantasy power struggle/overcoming personal demons+actual "demons" within a feudal nation in abridged form. Another one where the story feels like it could be fit to expand a whole game, and the endboss feels like a jRPG final boss, complete with multiple forms and significant battles in sequence at the end.

Negatives: Kinda boring, same issues as other stories in terms of how much space the game has to tell the story.

7. Agnea

Positives: Chapter 2 is a strong start. Some good supporting characters, some meh ones. Despite being shallow, the characters aren't particularly annoying, and come off as comical.

Negatives: It gets too fantastical and whimsical from there. Chapter 3 seems especially meaningless. The motivations of the antagonistic characters are petty and or unclear. The game doesn't really have the real estate to show how these characters have power and influence other than hired muscle and thugs (which is a huge overall plot device in this game since it is entirely oriented around turn-based combat) which is not executed in the most sensical way here, but perhaps that is the intended feel and direction of the story as a whole.

8. Ochette

Positives: As much as I hate the anime character with a personality that is overwhelmingly or entirely defined by gluttony and or a relationship with food trope, I didn't find it as annoying as in many other games and or anime here as usual, but it's still there. I don't have much positive to say about this one other than I didn't really dislike or hate it.

Negatives: This one just felt like the least was going on in it. It's not really interesting by its own merit, and is probably the one story that requires the larger picture of the game as a whole to exist to be significant, to which it is fortunately relevant. It definitely doesn't stand out as a one-shot story, though.

The game as a whole has a "problem" where it has limited space to tell the stories that it wants to, and I think most people would agree that there could be tons more detail and backstory in most of them. I think once you get past that and accept it as a given, all of these work pretty well to some extent, and there is of course story and world building outside the individual stories. You could expand each character's role both in terms of how much story you tell, and how much gameplay fits in with that story, and the game would be absolutely massive. Some people would love to play a 100 hour+ meaty game (like myself), and others would really hate it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Interesting thing about that optional whirlpool boss...

That motherfucker can pop back up as a random encounter on the ocean. :argh:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m annoyed that I can’t just equip another character’s job as a subjob and they felt the need to gate it behind something I haven’t gotten to yet. Where should I make a beeline for if I want subjob options?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress, I came across an enemy called Octopuff Traveler that looked like a businessman octopus wearing a top hat. It was insanely adorable. Enemy of the year, no notes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m annoyed that I can’t just equip another character’s job as a subjob and they felt the need to gate it behind something I haven’t gotten to yet. Where should I make a beeline for if I want subjob options?

The paths to the tier 2 towns will usually have a guild tucked in a corner somewhere on the way. The simplest to find is probably going from Ochette's starting village to Tropu'hopu only two screens over.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

So I saw earlier itt that party banter can be viewed anytime, but if you play someone's chapter and you don't have all the party members, will you get potential missing banter from that chapter retroactively when the member joins later?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Caidin posted:

Interesting thing about that optional whirlpool boss...

That motherfucker can pop back up as a random encounter on the ocean. :argh:

:stonk:

SKULL.GIF posted:

The paths to the tier 2 towns will usually have a guild tucked in a corner somewhere on the way. The simplest to find is probably going from Ochette's starting village to Tropu'hopu only two screens over.

Several of them are in towns themselves which is handy.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FireWorksWell posted:

So I saw earlier itt that party banter can be viewed anytime, but if you play someone's chapter and you don't have all the party members, will you get potential missing banter from that chapter retroactively when the member joins later?

I don’t know if they are missable like that. They’re only for Chapters 2 or later so I wouldn’t recommend even starting a chapter 2 until you have all the characters.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ragequit posted:

What the gently caress, I came across an enemy called Octopuff Traveler that looked like a businessman octopus wearing a top hat. It was insanely adorable. Enemy of the year, no notes.

My first encounter outside of the Chapter 1 stuff as a cute cat that played a unique battle theme as I struggled to hit it and it ran away.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Harlock posted:

My first encounter outside of the Chapter 1 stuff as a cute cat that played a unique battle theme as I struggled to hit it and it ran away.

Those are the metal slime equivalents.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I don’t know if they are missable like that. They’re only for Chapters 2 or later so I wouldn’t recommend even starting a chapter 2 until you have all the characters.

Yeah, I was noticing Throne and Ochette talking to Tenemos about his chapter and I was wondering about that; as well as if the other four party members would have Travel Banter as well or they'd need to be active party.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Harlock posted:

Soulstones don't miss. :eng101:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

BurningBeard posted:

Those are the metal slime equivalents.

Yeah I figured as much, it was just a cute encounter and unexpected so soon.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah, I was noticing Throne and Ochette talking to Tenemos about his chapter and I was wondering about that; as well as if the other four party members would have Travel Banter as well or they'd need to be active party.

They are not missable, you can watch the ones you didn't see at the time from your journal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Andrast posted:

They are not missable, you can watch the ones you didn't see at the time from your journal

Thank you!