Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Kinda like beans on toast for Americans, "biscuits and gravy" is a dish that'll often make British folk shudder at the very thought of it. Probably because it suggests that, I dunno, you're dipping a Digestive biscuit into some dark, Bisto-type gravy or something rather than a biscuit being a sort of savoury scone. That sort of sausage gravy's not something we really have here (Never had it myself, but the concept seems fine to me?)

hah. regional differences are fun. the biscuits are fluffy flour biscuits made with shortening and buttermilk. probably almost exactly like a uk scone... but not an US scone because US scones are what you would call in the UK a rock cake.

the gravy is milk and pork sausage thickened with flour and lots of black pepper. it's a very US rural dish made with things you'd find on a farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kim Justice posted:

Kinda like beans on toast for Americans, "biscuits and gravy" is a dish that'll often make British folk shudder at the very thought of it. Probably because it suggests that, I dunno, you're dipping a Digestive biscuit into some dark, Bisto-type gravy or something rather than a biscuit being a sort of savoury scone. That sort of sausage gravy's not something we really have here (Never had it myself, but the concept seems fine to me?)

The one dish that I really don't get is chicken and waffles. I had it once and found it to be really cloyingly sweet. Like, bacon pancakes and maple syrup absolutely works, but chicken's just not got that salty quality to stand up to the syrup? I don't think I'd have that again.

You're right, the British are stupid as hell.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Regular Car Reviews has a video about the 2020 Chevrolet Equinox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J73_hu4u03Y

I'm just posting it because goddamn those last 30 seconds.

E: This was recommended to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL4v6KMGJeM

It's surprisingly high effort. Some fun editing tricks in this one, and I like exploring game maps like this.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 26, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: whoopsie

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 27, 2023

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVD-pndQftw

Decent video on the Looney Tunes in the year of our lord 2023, though with a bunch of incredibly hot takes on Space Jam.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm not ready for the internet discourse if a disney film had a charismatic pure saturday morning-rear end villain again

Well the internet (which seems to be about 85% Twitter from how people talk about it) has always been like a cartoon character opening a door during a hurricane and then slamming it shut saying 'Yeah, it's still pretty rough out there' so I'm not surprised.

That said, I hear that's one of the best parts of the new Puss in Boots movie; the fact that one of the villains is just evil, entertaining and you can't alignment shift him at any point like Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2 or anything.

Shinji2015 posted:

There just needs to be more Nigel Ngs just roasting the poo poo out of big chefs loving up classic dishes and embarrassing them for it.

Like, I'm totally fine with providing alterations to them depending on taste/availability of ingredients, but if you're a big name, you gotta demonstrate you can make the original first before putting your twist on it

Speaking of which here's him and vampire slayer Gustavo 'The Steakman' Tosta taking on the Zach Snyder discourse of the cooking world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ATrcsnXKhc

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVD-pndQftw

Decent video on the Looney Tunes in the year of our lord 2023, though with a bunch of incredibly hot takes on Space Jam.

He's 100% right about Space Jam and I thought it was a lousy film even as a kid. :colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/patrickhwillems/status/1625180013552189457?s=20

RareAcumen posted:

That said, I hear that's one of the best parts of the new Puss in Boots movie; the fact that one of the villains is just evil, entertaining and you can't alignment shift him at any point like Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2 or anything.
Yeah Puss in Boots has a bunch of villains and antagonists and they all rule.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Okay, so? People don't enjoy space Jam because it's a good movie. They enjoy it because it's dumb enough to be entertaining.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Space Jam rules, get dunked on haters :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah Puss in Boots has a bunch of villains and antagonists and they all rule.
the movie is smart enough to have enough villains for every taste so nobody feels left out. A sympathetic villain, an anything but sympathetic villain, and an unstoppable but understandable villain.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVry84ACu0k

When Raycevick lays it out you really can see just how bad the racing game genre has gotten.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Space Jam gave us a soundtrack with a song that has B-Real, Method Man, Busta Rhymes, LL Cool J and Coolio on it so it gets a passing grade. What an amazing murderer's row on a goofy basketball Looney Tunes movie soundtrack.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I do agree with the basic principle of the Looney Tunes video, which seems to be that Space Jam utterly destroyed the concept of the Looney Tunes characters established in the 40s through 60s, but I think it's a vast overstatement to say that if, as a kid, your first exposure to Looney Tunes was through Space Jam, then you're somehow wrong for enjoying it that way and I'll instead say that if you're nostalgic for Space Jam then that's cool.

Space Jam acting as a sandpaper to file off the hyper-violent tendencies of Looney Tunes is entirely expected of Warner Brothers of the 90s, and it speaks more to the utterly depressing properties of capitalistic corporate machniations than anything else.

All in all, I think the best take-away is that it's neat that there's apparently been some new stuff that's been produced (which I didn't know about before this video) and that we should count ourselves lucky that the idiots in charge don't know what to do with it and thereby haven't figured out a away to ruin it.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Holy poo poo, I just started watching Philosophy Tube yesterday, and assumed the creator has transitioned a while ago. I just got to 2 years ago in her backlog and holy poo poo! What an abrupt change! Her NHS video got me to subscribe to her Patreon and it’s so much sadder to realize how recently that all happened.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dawgstar posted:

Space Jam gave us a soundtrack with a song that has B-Real, Method Man, Busta Rhymes, LL Cool J and Coolio on it so it gets a passing grade. What an amazing murderer's row on a goofy basketball Looney Tunes movie soundtrack.

There was a golden age of modern film soundtracks where filmmakers were saying "I want _____ in my movie because it's a good song, or I really like this band and they need people to listen to them", which allowed directors to use movies as a vehicle for their personal mixtapes. If the people on the film had good taste and clout, they could get a pretty good thing going.

This allowed film soundtracks to get big and sell lots of copies and drive listeners to them.

Corporate execs got the cause and effect backwards and said "hey, if we shoehorn in acts for artists we own outright through the related record label, all we have to do is put them on the soundtrack of a big movie and they'll get huge!" and movie soundtracks began to decline in quality until they became a perfunctory thing that was probably meant to extract more money from an artist (hey, if we put them on _____ we can claim some more points/expenses for ourselves) than sell records.

Streaming/track purchasing also killed this because nobody had to buy the whole album, so films weren't seeing this as a way to make side income anymore because you really wanted Misirlou and bought the whole Pulp Fiction soundtrack to get it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Most people have been saying space jam is bad for awhile. They're wrong of course, but it's not really a brave/controversial take

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

stillvisions posted:

There was a golden age of modern film soundtracks where filmmakers were saying "I want _____ in my movie because it's a good song, or I really like this band and they need people to listen to them", which allowed directors to use movies as a vehicle for their personal mixtapes. If the people on the film had good taste and clout, they could get a pretty good thing going.

This allowed film soundtracks to get big and sell lots of copies and drive listeners to them.

Corporate execs got the cause and effect backwards and said "hey, if we shoehorn in acts for artists we own outright through the related record label, all we have to do is put them on the soundtrack of a big movie and they'll get huge!" and movie soundtracks began to decline in quality until they became a perfunctory thing that was probably meant to extract more money from an artist (hey, if we put them on _____ we can claim some more points/expenses for ourselves) than sell records.

Streaming/track purchasing also killed this because nobody had to buy the whole album, so films weren't seeing this as a way to make side income anymore because you really wanted Misirlou and bought the whole Pulp Fiction soundtrack to get it.

Judgment Night is a 1000x better soundtrack than it is a movie lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

stillvisions posted:

There was a golden age of modern film soundtracks where filmmakers were saying "I want _____ in my movie because it's a good song, or I really like this band and they need people to listen to them", which allowed directors to use movies as a vehicle for their personal mixtapes.

*approaches the podium, clears throat*

someBODY ONCE-

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

*approaches the podium, clears throat*

someBODY ONCE-

The movie Rat Race will forever exist in my heart because 1) it's a stealth Mr. Bean movie because Rowan Atkinson is just playing Mr. Bean in it, and 2) the entire movie was just an excuse to turn the last five minutes into a Smash Mouth concert.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

stillvisions posted:

It utterly threw me to watch David Lynch’s The Elephant Man recently for the first time and hear “Adagio For Strings” come in at the climax. Luckily I was watching it with others who could tell me, “no this was seriously THE film that used it first, everyone instantly knew it would be copied to death but Lynch was actually being a smart filmmaker”

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Holy poo poo, I just started watching Philosophy Tube yesterday, and assumed the creator has transitioned a while ago. I just got to 2 years ago in her backlog and holy poo poo! What an abrupt change! Her NHS video got me to subscribe to her Patreon and it’s so much sadder to realize how recently that all happened.

For some context, Abigail had privately begun her transition quite some time ago and was "boymoding" as theater in many videos, opting only to come out at a time of her choosing without disappearing entirely from public life.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

stillvisions posted:

Meanwhile I have never cared about songs in movies, and cant really remember much outside of special occasions. (Free Bird in Kingsman, Baby Drivers whole deal)
I always gravitated more towards the background score and found the trend of:
Oh whats this movie's soundtrack? 'Songs inspired by the movie and the oscar bait/end credits cover song' instead of 'the actual music score in the drat movie'
to be lame as hell.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

nine-gear crow posted:

The movie Rat Race will forever exist in my heart because 1) it's a stealth Mr. Bean movie because Rowan Atkinson is just playing Mr. Bean in it, and 2) the entire movie was just an excuse to turn the last five minutes into a Smash Mouth concert.

I remember Rat Race being loving funny. Although I didn't know when I saw Rat Race that it essentially stole a bit from Seinfeld. Said bit is still very funny and pushes the bit further by having the car lighter go into his mouth and gently caress up his speaking voice

I was on Seth Green's side at the end of the movie though, I would have kept that money :colbert:

edit: I just watched the scene on youtube. Jon Lovits shouting ARE YOU INSANE? THIS IS HITLER'S CAR is still great

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 28, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rat Race sucks because they cut the scene where Cuba Gooding Jr. breaks into a house being transported by truck that inexplicably has Kimberly Page sleeping in the bedroom and then Diamond Dallas Page comes out of the bathroom and kicks his rear end and throws him out of the moving house

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Civvie covers one of best weird games ever made.

https://youtu.be/jPuDCoDa8C8

It wasn’t until The Division’s survival mode that a game managed to capture Cold as perfectly as Cryostasis did. It’s really hard to overstate how good this game is if you have any kind of tolerance for some kind of jank gameplay, the worldwide digital delisting is a crime.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Kim Justice posted:

I dunno, guy seems to be doing good with 7 vids but that one's an absolute slammer -- still 55,000 subs but the channel's not even a year old, so that's pretty bloody great. But then that kinda weird thing happens when you get an algorithm blessing? I just had one with an older Final Fantasy VIII video that started doing huge numbers out of nowhere, and it's really cool but, at least from my experience, it does also seem to exist in a bit of a vacuum. It doesn't necessarily mean you get an absolute ton more subscribers or that a whole load of your other vids start doing brilliantly too (mind, I did finally redo my REALLY old FFVII vids to take advantage and that also did swimmingly).

(actually sincere) grats on squeezing an amount of success from the arbitrary whims of an unknowable black box

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

(actually sincere) grats on squeezing an amount of success from the arbitrary whims of an unknowable black box

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ta very muchly :) while you guys often talk about things I don't know an awful lot about I still enjoy coming here to talk the odd bit of bollocks about English breakfast food or whatever, it's better than the usual dramafest that exists on Twitter and what have you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1630632376236687369

Late 20th century Star Trek loved themselves some 19th century Irish.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
I just watched SFDebris's review of that episode yesterday. LOL

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I genuinely don't understand how Tuvok didn't snap and kill Tom and Harry, even with all the Vulcan mind studf

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Danaru posted:

I genuinely don't understand how Tuvok didn't snap and kill Tom and Harry, even with all the Vulcan mind studf

He took it out on Neelix in the holodeck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKTpBN6jKa4

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wcQxd8_i4U

my fav warlockracy series, exploring tamriel rebuilt. TR is truly one of the great achievements of our era.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Kim Justice posted:

Ta very muchly :) while you guys often talk about things I don't know an awful lot about I still enjoy coming here to talk the odd bit of bollocks about English breakfast food or whatever, it's better than the usual dramafest that exists on Twitter and what have you.

Mind posting a link to your ffviii one? Still have a soft spot in my heart for that game

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Shame nobody seems to have done a longform video on Voyager's 'Blink of an Eye', which is arguably one of the most interesting sci fi concepts the show explores, an almost full inversion of the prime directive situation basically.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Sardonik posted:

Shame nobody seems to have done a longform video on Voyager's 'Blink of an Eye', which is arguably one of the most interesting sci fi concepts the show explores, an almost full inversion of the prime directive situation basically.

Guessing 12 minutes isn't longform enough.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It needs to be twice the length of the source material.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honestly what I love about Chuck is he's concise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

"Computer, delete the wife" is an all-time Star Trek line