Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hmn... What about God-Eternal Bontu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Hmn... What about God-Eternal Bontu?

He doesn't do anything.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

He doesn't do anything.

You can sac your entire board when you're losing, then get up and go home.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Necropotence is much easier/better if that's your plan.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone want to look at my old Talrand list that I've rebuilt?

https://archidekt.com/decks/4045833#Talrand

In particular, I'm interested in opinions on the maybeboard and cuts that would be made to accommodate it since they're all cards I have, or in the case of Dramatic Reversal, have coming in the mail. The way I used to play it was generally laying low, building up drakes, and making it not worth the risk of attacking me or playing an existential threat.

There used to be a bunch of goodstuff cards that just don't feel like they bring enough to the table these days. Bribery, Blatant Thievery, Future Sight, and Kira are the main survivors of that purge, though Kira is mostly there as a sentimental favorite. She can go if I gotta.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone want to look at my old Talrand list that I've rebuilt?

https://archidekt.com/decks/4045833#Talrand

In particular, I'm interested in opinions on the maybeboard and cuts that would be made to accommodate it since they're all cards I have, or in the case of Dramatic Reversal, have coming in the mail. The way I used to play it was generally laying low, building up drakes, and making it not worth the risk of attacking me or playing an existential threat.

There used to be a bunch of goodstuff cards that just don't feel like they bring enough to the table these days. Bribery, Blatant Thievery, Future Sight, and Kira are the main survivors of that purge, though Kira is mostly there as a sentimental favorite. She can go if I gotta.

I'll get more in depth later, but the typical Talrand deck really wants to spam spells once it gets going, so cost reduction (Baral, Medallion, etc.) are at a premium, and so are ways to generate mana, like Displacer Kitten.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Gollum, Frodo, and Arwen + Aragorn: https://mtgazone.com/the-lord-of-the-rings-tales-of-middle-earth-leaks/

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I like the LotR stuff so far. Definitely gonna have fun with this set, and I know a few nerds who don't normally gather with us that will be tempted by the IP.

How do folks feel about drafting with less than 8 people? I've tried a few times in the past, but feel like the card pool is too small. My usual group probably won't exceed 6 players for the foreseeable future, is there an alternate way to draft that might be better?

Also, I've only drafted commander once, does it have similar problems wrt player count below a full 8?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Never drafted Commander. If there are 4+ I'll draft (Cube) normally. If there are only 2 people I'll either do Wiston, Rochester, or Grid Draft. If there are three players, my friends and I meme with Grid Draft and the third player gets whatever cards the other two players didn't pick.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Didn't even know people drafted commander. How many does one need to crack to build a commander deck?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Didn't even know people drafted commander. How many does one need to crack to build a commander deck?

Aside from commander cubes, the Commander Legends sets were draftable commander. The rules are slightly different (60 cards (with correspondingly bigger packs) and 2 picks per look at a pack rather than 1) and I've enjoyed it when I've done it

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Reynold posted:

I like the LotR stuff so far. Definitely gonna have fun with this set, and I know a few nerds who don't normally gather with us that will be tempted by the IP.

How do folks feel about drafting with less than 8 people? I've tried a few times in the past, but feel like the card pool is too small. My usual group probably won't exceed 6 players for the foreseeable future, is there an alternate way to draft that might be better?

Also, I've only drafted commander once, does it have similar problems wrt player count below a full 8?
Commander Legends/Baldur's Gate is better at 8 but it is intended to be draftable at 4 and works just fine. The card depth/diversity isn't as good and you need to prioritize taking a commander and finding your lane early because of the smaller card pool.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Posted an Elesh Norn, MoM list a while back:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Jkna0iTe-UuzR0iykoC_8w

Charming Prince could probably be something better (as someone else suggested). I've got some potential replacements under "considering", though I'm not sure which one to choose from. Any primo cards I might be missing that could/should go in that slot?

E:

Sheldon, let me put Yorion in my Mono White deck, drat you!

E2:

Added Act of Authority to "considering" when I realized that whatever it exiles doesn't come back and that I can try and flicker it in a variety of ways.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 28, 2023

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Batterypowered7 posted:

Sheldon, let me put Yorion in my Mono White deck, drat you!

Having watched one of the SCG guys play out that combo it is absolute misery. But I'll make you a deal if I can run asmo in by orzhov deck you can run yorion

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MasterBuilder posted:

Having watched one of the SCG guys play out that combo it is absolute misery. But I'll make you a deal if I can run asmo in by orzhov deck you can run yorion

Buddy, I'll let you run Noxious Revival, Dismember, et al. in any color decks.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I wanna be super original and run an OG Atraxa deck but instead of superfriends plainswalker bullshit or instant win crazy infect stuff I'm looking for a build of her that's actually fun to play with and against. Anyone seen any fun archetypes for her that aren't straight up broken, but still strong?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Solis posted:

I wanna be super original and run an OG Atraxa deck but instead of superfriends plainswalker bullshit or instant win crazy infect stuff I'm looking for a build of her that's actually fun to play with and against. Anyone seen any fun archetypes for her that aren't straight up broken, but still strong?

Turbo-Sagas?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
There's plenty of fun out there to be had with proliferate and various artifact, saga, and enchantments.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Atraxa is just not Red. So you should put all the most Red effects in other colors you can find into the deck.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LifeLynx posted:

Turbo-Sagas?

Combine with Daxos the Returned and blast out a ton of experience counters.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Solis posted:

OG Atraxa has never been good, since she doesn't really do anything. Maybe try Thallids or Magistrates Scepter lock?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

OG Atraxa has never been good, since she doesn't really do anything. Maybe try Thallids or Magistrates Scepter lock?

Weird thing to say about the #1 most popular commander. And before you say it's because people play EDH poorly (Sheldonly), does it actually make her not good if that's how most people play?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Weird thing to say about the #1 most popular commander. And before you say it's because people play EDH poorly (Sheldonly), does it actually make her not good if that's how most people play?

Unironically, yes. And this isn't being snobbish, it's the same issue as Reliquary Tower and Temple of the False God being so ubiquitous: people just don't know how much more interesting, fun, and enjoyable their gaming time could be if they were simply playing decks that worked and did something instead of just sitting there in topdeck mode with a board stall for 30 minutes because nobody brought a deck that can win. They really think that "that's just how EDH is" not just because they haven't been taught better, but because Sheldon and a subset of content creators pander to that style, and it's infuriating. See also: Sheldon getting clowned on by the professor when he showed up on TCC.

Just to give you an example I've been mulling over, Here's a metric you can try and apply to see if your deck actually does anything, inspired by a few decklists I've seen in various venues recently:

1. The Magikarp Test - You start with any 7 lands in play and any 7 cards from your deck in hand. How long does it take you to win against 3 dummy players at 40 life?
  2. The Mercenary Test - Same as above, but each tirn your opponents each play 1 Highway Robber, which can block, but not attack. Can you still win? How long?

These aren't really meant to be "gauntlets" in the way that they test you against opposing strategies; they are supposed to just measure out if you can close out a game when you have all your tools.

I've seen multiple decks in the last week that eould take 10+ turns to finish the first test, which is a real problem, because that means your deck is relying on the other players to set up lethal for you because you are physically unable to do so in a reasonable amount of time. A combo deck should be able to do it in 1 tutrn, maybe 2. An aggressive deck should still be able to do it in 5 or less, preferably 3-4, and if you can't, then you need to figure out why.

The second one is much tougher than you'd expect, but honestly isn't unreasonable for 3 players putting up an active defense.

In short, though, yes people are playing "bad magic", and by that I mean an exclusionary form of magic that forces needlessly long games with little action. And this is bad, specifically, because it makes it inaccessible to people who want to be able to pop in and have a reasonable length game (think: parents who can just get a couple of hours out of the house one night a week), and makes it much harder to get new players in, since they don't get much experience from watching people sit around and play hellbent draw-go. Play good magic. Do things. Play cards. Win some. Lose some. Shuffle up and go again. That's the game. Not whatever monstrosity convinced people that Atraxa is hot poo poo.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any permanent (preferably creatures) that give creatures flash in Naya colors? Having trouble getting the search right in Scryfall.

I'm working on a high power/sub-cedh Jetmir deck and I think it'd be cool to be able to do some instant speed tricks.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Unironically, yes. And this isn't being snobbish, it's the same issue as Reliquary Tower and Temple of the False God being so ubiquitous: people just don't know how much more interesting, fun, and enjoyable their gaming time could be if they were simply playing decks that worked and did something instead of just sitting there in topdeck mode with a board stall for 30 minutes because nobody brought a deck that can win. They really think that "that's just how EDH is" not just because they haven't been taught better, but because Sheldon and a subset of content creators pander to that style, and it's infuriating. See also: Sheldon getting clowned on by the professor when he showed up on TCC.

Just to give you an example I've been mulling over, Here's a metric you can try and apply to see if your deck actually does anything, inspired by a few decklists I've seen in various venues recently:

1. The Magikarp Test - You start with any 7 lands in play and any 7 cards from your deck in hand. How long does it take you to win against 3 dummy players at 40 life?
  2. The Mercenary Test - Same as above, but each tirn your opponents each play 1 Highway Robber, which can block, but not attack. Can you still win? How long?

These aren't really meant to be "gauntlets" in the way that they test you against opposing strategies; they are supposed to just measure out if you can close out a game when you have all your tools.

I've seen multiple decks in the last week that eould take 10+ turns to finish the first test, which is a real problem, because that means your deck is relying on the other players to set up lethal for you because you are physically unable to do so in a reasonable amount of time. A combo deck should be able to do it in 1 tutrn, maybe 2. An aggressive deck should still be able to do it in 5 or less, preferably 3-4, and if you can't, then you need to figure out why.

The second one is much tougher than you'd expect, but honestly isn't unreasonable for 3 players putting up an active defense.

In short, though, yes people are playing "bad magic", and by that I mean an exclusionary form of magic that forces needlessly long games with little action. And this is bad, specifically, because it makes it inaccessible to people who want to be able to pop in and have a reasonable length game (think: parents who can just get a couple of hours out of the house one night a week), and makes it much harder to get new players in, since they don't get much experience from watching people sit around and play hellbent draw-go. Play good magic. Do things. Play cards. Win some. Lose some. Shuffle up and go again. That's the game. Not whatever monstrosity convinced people that Atraxa is hot poo poo.

This is a lot of words about how Atraxa is bad based on how you think Commander should be played, but the reality is that in most cases it just isn't [played that way]. So you can wax poetic all you want about your ideal version of Commander, but most people just aren't going to run into three other people that play that way at their LGS. Atraxa just happens to be good for the way the majority of people play Commander.

E:

Framboise posted:

Is there any permanent (preferably creatures) that give creatures flash in Naya colors? Having trouble getting the search right in Scryfall.

I'm working on a high power/sub-cedh Jetmir deck and I think it'd be cool to be able to do some instant speed tricks.

Vedalken Orrery is the only one that comes to mind. Winding Canyons for an on-demand effect and Emergence Zone as a one-shot. Yeva, Nature's Herald gives your green creatures Flash and has Flash herself.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 1, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

This is a lot of words about how Atraxa is bad based on how you think Commander should be played, but the reality is that in most cases it just isn't [played that way]. So you can wax poetic all you want about your ideal version of Commander, but most people just aren't going to run into three other people that play that way at their LGS. Atraxa just happens to be good for the way the majority of people play Commander.

Is she actually "good" there, though, or is she merely interchangeable with any other extremely mid commander, and just coasting on momentum and hype? How would you even measure?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Framboise posted:

Yeva, Nature's Herald? Or do you mean it's got to give red and white creatures flash also?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Hm, that's not ideal. May just stick with emergence zone.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

https://scryfall.com/search?q=id%3A...grid&order=name

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Vivien, on the other hand, seems pretty solid. Yeva's just too narrow.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Framboise posted:

If you wanna share a decklist I'm looking to power up my Jetmir, as well! Dunno if my list would help you at all but I can link it if requested, I gotta make sure it's up to date, def swapped out two old cards for ONE cards and fuuuuuck if I remember what they were!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Truant posted:

If you wanna share a decklist I'm looking to power up my Jetmir, as well! Dunno if my list would help you at all but I can link it if requested, I gotta make sure it's up to date, def swapped out two old cards for ONE cards and fuuuuuck if I remember what they were!

I don't have a list yet. Hit me up on discord later and we can collab if you want.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Framboise posted:

I don't have a list yet. Hit me up on discord later and we can collab if you want.

:hai:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Framboise posted:

There's a vivien that does it efb

Toshimo posted:

This shows a nice distinction between my "precon+" level decks and my "plays happily against well designed sub cEDH" level decks, the latter lot are all turn 2 (even the combat based ones) and the others are 5-7 turns if you can't stack the deck, although one of them is turn 3 if you can stack the deck for cascade triggers (t2 or t3 applies for both of these "tests", the blockers only makes things tougher for the low power decks)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 1, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
On the subject of popularity vs playability, another thing I took not of this week: Eternal Witness is in the top 30 most played cards on EDHREC, showing up in over 25% of all decks with G in the identity.

Is Eternal Witness good? No. In almost all situations, Eternal Witness is a worse regrowth, a card that doesn't have 25% share (and shouldn't, most decks don't need this effect).

Is Eternal Witness the budget option? No. Regrowth is 25¢, at best.

So, why does it show up so much? I can't provably say this, but my suspicion is that it's just self-fulfilling: People play it because it showed up as "popular" which kept it trending, ad nauseum.

This is why I'm always skeptical of "popularity", in absence of proof in play.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, I guess to further refine my statement, I usually play decks that can consistently win between turns 5-8 and I loathe lockdowns and infinite turns where you just try to topdeck one of two wincons in the deck. I just have the SL Atraxa burning a hole in my binder and I want to do something fun with her.

Maybe I'll end up on infect/poison proliferate tribal and that's fine I guess, just was hoping for some ideas that are a bit weirder. I'm currently maindecking the new tyranid X spell tribal because I love dropping 4 15/15 flyers on turn 6 and other disgusting combo poo poo like that.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

People probably play it because they think they'll buy back a spell from twenty turns ago, and it's a creature, so maybe you reanimate it, blink it, use it as sac fodder, double the trigger, or use it to chump block.

When asking yourself, "why is this card so popular", you can't be thinking about it from whatever focused mindset you usually evaluate cards with. You gotta really put yourself in the mindset of a player that thinks it's rude to swing at anyone before turn four.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Solis posted:

Yeah, I guess to further refine my statement, I usually play decks that can consistently win between turns 5-8 and I loathe lockdowns and infinite turns where you just try to topdeck one of two wincons in the deck. I just have the SL Atraxa burning a hole in my binder and I want to do something fun with her.

Maybe I'll end up on infect/poison proliferate tribal and that's fine I guess, just was hoping for some ideas that are a bit weirder. I'm currently maindecking the new tyranid X spell tribal because I love dropping 4 15/15 flyers on turn 6 and other disgusting combo poo poo like that.

Yeah, let me think on it. The real problem is that a OPT EOT proliferate doesn't really generate much value, so you gave to really get all your heavy lifting from the 99, so, usually, you'd want a commander that makes it easier to get your 99 going for witb the dame deck. But, I just might be able to find something unique that she can help with.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

People probably play it because they think they'll buy back a spell from twenty turns ago, and it's a creature, so maybe you reanimate it, blink it, use it as sac fodder, double the trigger, or use it to chump block.

When asking yourself, "why is this card so popular", you can't be thinking about it from whatever focused mindset you usually evaluate cards with. You gotta really put yourself in the mindset of a player that thinks it's rude to swing at anyone before turn four.

You literally can't make me do that. And, honestly, most of the situations you described, it's still worse than Regrowth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Just do alt win cons that rely on counters like Simic Ascendancy, Helix Pinnacle, and Darksteel Reactor and have Atraxa just get you there a turn or two earlier.

E:

Toshimo posted:

You literally can't make me do that. And, honestly, most of the situations you described, it's still worse than Regrowth.

Lmao, just imagining someone hunched over a desk, hands on their head, mumbling angrily and then sweeping a bunch of cards onto the floor.

"I JUST DON'T GET HOW THESE PEOPLE THINK!"

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 1, 2023