Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm in my 4th reincarnation and trying the desert lodge. I bricked on the boss and won't be able to afford the new spellbooks without a ton of grinding so I'm trying to decide if I should just cut bait and come back later.

Currently trying to farm seeds and try to find a golden slime. Figure I'll try the boss again once I cap seeds on my main guy and the new allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

USI: I'm guessing that I want to use this advanced synth core for dedicated synth-leveling-centric runs, and the computing one for normal runs?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
You want to start with the computer and get that score up then do a retrofit over to the synth for the rest of the run.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I don't have retrofits yet. :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You want to start with the computer and get that score up then do a retrofit over to the synth for the rest of the run.
This, until you unlock the two-cores ship (at which point I have synth locked into slot 1, 2 is for computer at the start, retrofit into research/reactor after several hours if I'm pushing one of those)

e: oh if you just got it and don't have retrofits then it's likely better to use the synth core to farm up some synth points and then push with computer core and then repeat

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Okay, good to know.

In terms of actually getting to retrofits, is there anything I can do to optimize my base, or is it just a hurry up and wait scenario? 6e8 seems forever away, to say nothing of 2e9.

e: a picture

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

You'll unlock some base production bonuses in research, warp, and synth. Alongside a shard eventually. Other than that, yeah, you're just waiting. Just keep upgrading production.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arzaac posted:

You'll unlock some base production bonuses in research, warp, and synth. Alongside a shard eventually. Other than that, yeah, you're just waiting. Just keep upgrading production.
yeah, production is *1.25 per upgrade, so it pays off to get that 1.14e8 before hunkering down for the 6e8, but you're doing it all right

e: the shard goes in the fifth slot, so don't hold out for that one

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sounds good. Finish off the blue flex shard, and then time to prestige with this synth core and see what I can crank. :toot:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
For anyone else grinding USI endgame, I did manage to clear 37B and unlock Warp Fenix when I was idling at about 50 distance into sector 40 with the attendant prestige/warp (nearly everything finished off)/compute/whatever

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

For anyone else grinding USI endgame, I did manage to clear 37B and unlock Warp Fenix when I was idling at about 50 distance into sector 40 with the attendant prestige/warp (nearly everything finished off)/compute/whatever

Oh yeah I forgot about trying that

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Re: Your Chronicle, which school should I go for on my first run?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Re: Your Chronicle, which school should I go for on my first run?

Warrior.

Also, I had to put the game down because it has such tight reward loops that my ADHD can't escape.

You probably won't have this problem, but... Yeah.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Is there a solid beginner/starter guide for Your Chronicle anywhere? Seems like an awful lot of systems

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I used https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2451142754 to get through my first run. It gets decidedly more complex from there, but it's a good baseline and the other systems are introduced as you go through subsequent runs. The biggest thing IMO is getting Sloth unlocked for your second run and getting comfortable with how it works, then just figuring out the way you want to get Sin as you work on getting the completion bonuses for each ending.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

tinstaach posted:

hello, I was today years old and my warp drive upgrade tree in USI looked like this when I first realized I could uncheck that box in the corner and not have to click through a confirmation for every single upgrade level :doh:

jesus christ thanks for this I am way further in the tree than you were and finding this out has made me regret all my life decisions until this point

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tricky posted:

I used https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2451142754 to get through my first run. It gets decidedly more complex from there, but it's a good baseline and the other systems are introduced as you go through subsequent runs. The biggest thing IMO is getting Sloth unlocked for your second run and getting comfortable with how it works, then just figuring out the way you want to get Sin as you work on getting the completion bonuses for each ending.

I greed is much more important than sloth for a second run IMO. I actually only got greed and kept a sin for the boost effect. Greed is a whole nother multiplier for DR/Reanimate math and only requires the excess research you generate and dont need anymore.

e: also the first unlock gives +% inspiriation which is great.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sloth makes your dungeon clear speed skyrocket when you’re farming, since it has a significantly shorter refresh time than non-Sloth, and the most tedious parts of the second run (crafting quests) can be automated. Toss in auto Donate Gold and you can cruise through pretty quick.

Greed is good, it’s nice, but it isn’t a game changer in terms of how the game plays and only really starts to shine when you have more of the examine options open in later reincarnations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
USI updated but the import button doesn't work. 9/10.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Hell yeah Synth bonus base

And t6 synth tier.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

every update so far has had save breaking bugs that get fixed in the first 6-12 hours backup your save.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Edit: never mind

BTW the new system is challenge runs and you have to re-clear the sector 17 boss for it to unlock.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 28, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Synth Purity challenge is pure chaos and basically requires having the smartcraft AI upgrades.

But holy moly the synth bonuses from completing it.

If you were already at 40 pre-.30 pump those challenges as their buffs are nuts and you can easily do most of the tiers of each.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 28, 2023

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Also read the challenges closely, i was suffering in the first one until I realized what I was doing wrong. The only damage bonuses you can get in the compute challenge comes from upgrading weapons, so bring weapons that are cheaper to upgrade.

I started out using all kinetics and it was rough, now I"m just using all standard lasers 2.0 and it's easier. Each big passive you earn on the core is multiplied by 10.

E: 1.0 works even better, getting access to all the core upgrades is worth more than the higher base damage of 2.0, and I just used all standard lasers (and one beam) set to their 'boost all laser damage' set up, so that they ended up boosting themselves more than if I just didn't use it.

I brought the beam to handle shield regen just in case but with all the other lasers boosting it, it's actually doing massive damage. Three or four orders of magnitude more than all the lasers boosting it, so it kills everything in one tick.

EE: I was able to beat up to challenge 8/9 with this strat, I think in order to beat the ninth you're going to need the 2.0 modules as I was dying in one hit from the boss.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 28, 2023

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Wow, you can almost see now much new sections of your base cost now!

At least mousing over them shows you how long until you can afford them. And good thing I just broke into sector 35 before the update, I got my rear end kicked out of there right quick but not before I snagged some orange Battle Shards :cheeky:

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 28, 2023

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

just wanna say that these are pretty cool challenges that I actually have to think about even if I'm quite far beyond the power curve where I would unlock them.

Overhwelming power won't beat them as well as trying to figure out how to maximize my effectiveness within their rules. Good challenges.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I'm kinda at the target range for the first few and these are really making me think and adapt to each one. I like it!

Also they did the thing that every loving idler with challenges should do and give you a "hey you beat this, but do you want to keep going on the next completion?" without having to loving reset.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Also they did the thing that every loving idler with challenges should do and give you a "hey you beat this, but do you want to keep going on the next completion?" without having to loving reset.

This game seems to be made by somebody who really hates games that force constant resets. I like it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Sivart13 posted:

I just bought 'Core Auto Upgrade' because I was hoping against hope that it actually meant 'Reactor Auto Upgrade' and I could pump up void max and wait for everything to upgrade itself rather than checking in constantly

reader, obviously it is not

hooray my dreams are now a reality

if only i would ever have 450 AI Points again

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sivart13 posted:

if only i would ever have 450 AI Points again
good news you get 5 every 20 hours :v:

(seriously though I would love a one-time respec, these loadout buttons are trash and I don't need custom tab order or module pinning...)

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm hooked on Idle Wizard way harder than I thought I would be even if it looks like total rear end, the classes and challenges are engaging and progression always feels meaningful

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Beasteh posted:

I'm hooked on Idle Wizard way harder than I thought I would be even if it looks like total rear end, the classes and challenges are engaging and progression always feels meaningful

I liked it at first but it's similar to realm grinder in that past a certain point you have to follow a guide because you need to use a certain class with specific gear at specific levels and run involved, highly interactive builds, otherwise you simply plateau forever. I haven't gone back for a few years but I was pretty deep into it when I quit. It was semi-tolerable using a speed hack to make certain portions of the game run at like 1000x speed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

USI: Okay, so I've gotten to sector 20 and unlocked blue synths and v2.0 modules - how the gently caress am I supposed to afford all this?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Don't forget to update USI for the save corruption bug fix it's out

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I was at sector 27 or 28 when I put USI down, but picked it up again with the new update. Unlocked challenges, and did a bunch of them. Thought I did pretty good, although I thought some of them, especially Power Hungry, were tuned a little weird. Got two clears in Base Carry, but barely squeaked through the first clear of Power Hungry. But whatever, I got some major upgrades and life is good. Then I remembered the V Device exists and I probably could have gotten another completion of each challenge done if I hadn't been using a research/general purpose setup. Whoops.

As for affording V2.0 modules and blue synth? I felt the blue synth wasn't very expensive when I unlocked it, although I only get halfway through my V2.0 modules at the moment. I will usually swap things like Reactor and V Device around to grab some salvage bonuses if I can get a few upgrades unlocked with them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

USI: Okay, so I've gotten to sector 20 and unlocked blue synths and v2.0 modules - how the gently caress am I supposed to afford all this?
patience patience patience mostly, it snowballs just like the previous synths - although that's about the point I started doing long runs to really maximize the synth module

people who have completed all the challenges: what's the best weapon/shield setup for them? I'm stuck at 7/9, 3/4, 3/4, 4/6. (also what's best to synth lol, been going like hoard 1e8 white ones and then down an order of magnitude each step up the chain.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Arbetor posted:

As for affording V2.0 modules and blue synth? I felt the blue synth wasn't very expensive when I unlocked it

I've basically got as much +salvage stuff as I can running and 5e10 salvage per blue alloy is nuts still. :negative:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

I've basically got as much +salvage stuff as I can running and 5e10 salvage per blue alloy is nuts still. :negative:

It hurts for a day or two, then quickly falls off. Between getting your modules upgraded to get further, and your alloy getting upgraded to cost less, it becomes negligible.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I just unlocked auto habit allocation using Sin but I don't see how to use it. Do I need to buy the first allocation slot item with Sin as well?

e: nm, figured it out

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

patience patience patience mostly, it snowballs just like the previous synths - although that's about the point I started doing long runs to really maximize the synth module

people who have completed all the challenges: what's the best weapon/shield setup for them? I'm stuck at 7/9, 3/4, 3/4, 4/6. (also what's best to synth lol, been going like hoard 1e8 white ones and then down an order of magnitude each step up the chain.)

I'm 8/9, 2/4, 3/4, 4/6.

I was stalling out 2 zones short of getting 3/4 in synth and didn't feel like letting it spend hours building up, but maybe you had a better method than me?

I got 8/9 on the first challenge by going 5 basic laser, 1 beam, 1 bulk generator, and 2 deflector shields (all 1.0).

The basic lasers were all set to max support while the beam was set to max damage and did over a thousand times as much damage as the lasers. This was enough damage to instantly kill all the chaff up to whatever zone needed for 8/9. The last little stumbling block was the last boss of the challenge who I would kill in like 4 seconds, but would kill me in one shot, which they fired in 2 seconds or w/e. So the 2 deflector shields were only there to protect me from the boss for a couple hits which gave me just enough time to kill it.