Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ruffian Price posted:

Talking loudly how you're actually replacing human labor right now, pinky swear, is a good move for a publicly traded company. You don't even have to fire anybody because no one's going to check, they just see AI and mash BUY. The Long Island Blockchain Tea for a new era

sure but im hearing it in side channels from other engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Beeftweeter posted:

imo assistants can be helpful, but that's usually when using it for functionality that's available locally (i.e. setting timers, making initial calendar entries, stuff like that)

i'm not sure if it's because of api limitations or because they are not that sophisticated, but ime generally any sort of extended functionality just does not work well

one of the useful things siri did was figure out i was setting a 2 minute timer most mornings (for my coffee, you see) and now every morning when i get up there's a "set a 2 minute timer" notification from siri on my lock screen

windows hello.jpg
Jan 13, 2023

Microsoft posted:

And you’ll love this, there’s a new laser pointer

cat-like typing detected!!

ENGAGE COUNTERMEASURES

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Elder Postsman posted:

one of the useful things siri did was figure out i was setting a 2 minute timer most mornings (for my coffee, you see) and now every morning when i get up there's a "set a 2 minute timer" notification from siri on my lock screen

yeah, can for sure work. and ultimately it is a very human interface which i appreciate. my father lost his eyesight for 6 months from a medical complication, and siri was a great boon for him at the time.

partly that is the kind of basis i have for believing in the value of gpt models, we're talking human communication. even though the high profile demos are bad the effects are already good, and there's almost certainly more to come.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

rotor posted:

sure but im hearing it in side channels from other engineers.

I’m using chatgpt to help me do my performance review because I loving hate doing it and this years it’s even worse than usual due to issues beyond my control

I always get “meets expectations” anyway despite refusing promotions and getting max bonus every year so you know it’s bull poo poo anyway

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in factors not involving noble progress in human communication that i expect gpt models to help us out in: the end of writing lengthy bits of text that everyone involved knows means nothing.

*bulk* words being rendered worthless. a blessing on education and the effectiveness of management (though probably not the kind of person presently inhabiting the roles) both.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, can for sure work. and ultimately it is a very human interface which i appreciate. my father lost his eyesight for 6 months from a medical complication, and siri was a great boon for him at the time.

partly that is the kind of basis i have for believing in the value of gpt models, we're talking human communication. even though the high profile demos are bad the effects are already good, and there's almost certainly more to come.

I can't wait until virtual assistants integrate gpt and we start seeing videos of people's phones spewing deranged nonsense in an audible voice

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres already a transformer based language model in there almost certainly

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

rotor posted:

i have heard from people who i would not immediately dismiss as idiots or cranks at large companies saying theyre letting chatgpt-like machines write their unit tests. Anyone seen this irl?

an old coworker/manager towards the end told me he's using to write some stuff but you have to baby sit the poo poo out of it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I just got an uber advert for 20% off train fairs lol what

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I just got an uber advert for 20% off train fairs lol what

theyve pushed this in denver a few times. they want the data so they can push discounts for actual ubers and murder mass transit a bit more

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Hey FYI for anyone that misses DarkSky there is this new site: https://briefsky.app/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im using https://merrysky.net/ for desktop. its delightfully stripped down

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

its comical how much Merry Sky misses the point of Dark Sky

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it gives me the weather in a format that is easy to read so i dont really give a poo poo tbh

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

it looks like someone's grafana dashboard for a home weatherstation

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
which is exactly why its good

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

in factors not involving noble progress in human communication that i expect gpt models to help us out in: the end of writing lengthy bits of text that everyone involved knows means nothing.

a blessing on education and the effectiveness of management (though probably not the kind of person presently inhabiting the roles) both.
*emails students ai-generated commiserations on the recent murder of their classmate in a school shooting (with subtle factual error)*

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
oh it won't be subtle

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

with a blatant factual error AND a bonus subtle factual error besides

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

ooooh, didn't get that was how it worked

horseshit

67 ibm was still within viewing distance of the knifes edge of continuing to be a business due to investment in developing the s/360 and os/360 platform. they just were doing ok.

72 ibm was beginning the real upswing of business modernizing paper processes into computerizing, the curve of the hockey stick where it starts to go asymptotic. they werent really made of money till like 1981 ish

18 yea no argument utterly hollow by this point

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

uhh i don't know where that image is from but they're still using the 8-bar variant everywhere i've seen it

e: the only places i see the one they say for 2018 are like old offices built in the 50s

carry on then fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 1, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the ibm offices in midtown manhattan still use the 8-bar one too

i went there with the architect's grandson :cool:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fresh_cheese posted:

horseshit

67 ibm was still within viewing distance of the knifes edge of continuing to be a business due to investment in developing the s/360 and os/360 platform. they just were doing ok.

72 ibm was beginning the real upswing of business modernizing paper processes into computerizing, the curve of the hockey stick where it starts to go asymptotic. they werent really made of money till like 1981 ish

18 yea no argument utterly hollow by this point

the business history knower has logged on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

the ibm offices in midtown manhattan still use the 8-bar one too

i went there with the architect's grandson :cool:

this used to be downtown toronto.

it's a sushi restaurant now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

lol time traveling dickbutt

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
official logo is still the 8 bar

https://www.ibm.com/brand/experience-guides/developer/brand/logo/

other variants appear in specific spaces like developer focused communities or anywhere they are trying to be cool and hip and with it fellow dudes

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

the business history knower has logged on

never logged off

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

so effing stylish. love that late 60s “modern” look.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

lol time traveling dickbutt

lol. loving owned.

that's what i get for grabbing the first gis result

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fresh_cheese posted:

so effing stylish. love that late 60s “modern” look.

oh hell yes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fresh_cheese posted:

official logo is still the 8 bar

https://www.ibm.com/brand/experience-guides/developer/brand/logo/

other variants appear in specific spaces like developer focused communities or anywhere they are trying to be cool and hip and with it fellow dudes

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

god, i hate this logo

paul rand was such a hack fraud

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

why do you spend so long in the bathroom

I BM

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
there was someone in GBS using chatgpt to answer their estranged mother’s unwelcome long rambling emails which seemed like the most wholesome use of the tech.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
drat that's good

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

an old coworker/manager towards the end told me he's using to write some stuff but you have to baby sit the poo poo out of it.

i use random generative stuff to kickstart my music creative juices all the time so yeah i can absolutely believe that you can do the same thing with writing using gpt models

in the end the job of the creative person is to make sure that the end result is something worthwhile, no matter the tools

just copy pasting the output of the first prompt you whip up is of course not the way to use it unless what you are doing is seo spam blogs

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

there was someone in GBS using chatgpt to answer their estranged mother’s unwelcome long rambling emails which seemed like the most wholesome use of the tech.

I have seen a few scam e-mails replied with ChatGPT that were pretty hilarious also.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

"since it's been so long, you should come visit. please stay at my house"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

drat, come on, please at least use clip art with the same kind of line weight as the lines in your M

this poo poo is just lazy and makes it look super uneven