Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

No, they don't; you're misreading the post. They're saying that RftA is on the DS cart, but the DS cart was not the original release of Phoenix Wright 1.

Are they?

Apostate said it's on the DS cart, but then Fooly "No, it's on the trilogy DS card". Given they go on to talk about the GBA version, it sounds like they're saying there wasn't a DS version for PW1.

Like full disclosure here- I don't even give a gently caress about the argument anymore, at this point DKII will do whatever they decide to do- I just genuinely don't understand this at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh, maybe I am actually the one misreading. Yeah, RtfA was introduced in the original DS version of Ace Attorney, which was the first to be released in English, and the trilogy was released as three separate DS games in English years before any of the collections.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Are they?

Apostate said it's on the DS cart, but then Fooly "No, it's on the trilogy DS card". Given they go on to talk about the GBA version, it sounds like they're saying there wasn't a DS version for PW1.

Like full disclosure here- I don't even give a gently caress about the argument anymore, at this point DKII will do whatever they decide to do- I just genuinely don't understand this at this point.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh, maybe I am actually the one misreading. Yeah, RtfA was introduced in the original DS version of Ace Attorney, which was the first to be released in English, and the trilogy was released as three separate DS games in English years before any of the collections.

Thank you.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

wologar posted:

The faster we get to Turnabout Big Top, the better.

Skin... Crawling...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
We're crawling into spoiler territory, guys. Of the "can't wait till you meet THAT GUY!!" kind.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

serefin99 posted:

Yes, and?

There is a Phoenix Wright 1 DS cart. One that contains Rise from the Ashes. FoolyCharged sounds like they're saying there isn't one.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They're saying that RftA is on the DS cart, but the DS cart was not the original release of Phoenix Wright 1.

Both of these statements are true. I was unaware it got re-released on its own, but my main point was that Rise from ashes was a re-release feature on the DS and not part of the original game, which still holds.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Both of these statements are true. I was unaware it got re-released on its own, but my main point was that Rise from ashes was a re-release feature on the DS and not part of the original game, which still holds.

I thought your main point was about where it belongs in the series, based on the fact that it was "trilogy only" when it, in fact, was not.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

apostateCourier posted:

I thought your main point was about where it belongs in the series, based on the fact that it was "trilogy only" when it, in fact, was not.

The point is that it's more or less completely isolated from the plot of phoenix wright 1(and the trilogy) because it was written after the entire trilogy was finished and doesn't actually play a role in it. It very clearly functions as a bridge to the fourth game and doesn't have anything tying it to a particular point in the plot that had been previously written. This is why people are able to advocate for doing it now because it's big, does a lot of world building with its size, and is a pretty solid case OR doing it later so that it doesn't put a massive time out into the story the original trilogy tells. Because again, it's long.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm in favor of not skipping past RftA, because I think it gives the beginning of JfA more emotional weight coming after a long intermission case....at least it did when I played the games (being really vague to avoid spoilers, I think you can figure out what I'm talking about). Also, I know in the Trilogy versions they updated the dialogue in JfA to take RftA into account but I don't remember the specifics.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 16, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

whitehelm posted:

I'm in favor of not skipping past RftA, because I think it gives the beginning of JfA more emotional weight coming after a long intermission case....at least it did when I played the games (being really vague to avoid spoilers, I think you can figure out what I'm talking about). Also, I know in the Trilogy versions they updated the dialogue in JfA to take RftA into account but I don't remember the specifics.
Yeah, I'd play it as 1-5. It's a pretty good bridge into the second game regarding some characters' relationships.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 17, 2023

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

FoolyCharged posted:

The point is that it's more or less completely isolated from the plot of phoenix wright 1(and the trilogy) because it was written after the entire trilogy was finished and doesn't actually play a role in it. It very clearly functions as a bridge to the fourth game and doesn't have anything tying it to a particular point in the plot that had been previously written. This is why people are able to advocate for doing it now because it's big, does a lot of world building with its size, and is a pretty solid case OR doing it later so that it doesn't put a massive time out into the story the original trilogy tells. Because again, it's long.

I actually find that RftA has enough of a connection to PW1 and PW2. It's not major, but it's enough that playing it along with the first game's cases makes sense.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

I'll probably include it, and play the trilogy as it's currently packaged. Interesting background and I'll put in the context before that episode starts / after episode 4 ends to mark a clear delineation.

We're probably still a few months away from that being relevant anyway. :)

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 76: Episode 4, Prologue: Body Dump

All right, Episode 4, let's go!

Video: https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzqdbSnYEeEs

Music: Recollection ~ The DL-6 Incident

We start with an ominous scene; two dark silhouettes out on the open water. Looks like we're about to witness a murder! The text here is silent, without the usual "blip" sound effects, to place more emphasis on the music.

About that, yes.

15 years is a long time to wait...

You've... suffered?

But now... the perfect opportunity has presented itself.

Music: Silence

What!?

Sound: Weak Gunshot
Sound: Dump

Music: Suspense

Oh, Edgeworth, what have you done!?

Are we going to be defending Edgeworth? Or is he going to frame someone else and prosecute them, knowing he's really the killer? Is he really as guilty as he appears here?

Music: Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme

Hey, hey, Nick!

Well a line further up clearly indicates that this setting knows what Christmas is, but apparently it's not worthy of a day out of the office for these two.

Waterfalls...? Dare I ask why?

Duh, Nick! Isn't it obvious?

Oh... Is that part of your spirit medium training?

Sure, that makes sense...

I need to brave the elements and be forged anew under the rushing spring waters!

Umm... Okay...

I caught this one mid-blink; I like to think of Maya giving Phoenix a dirty look here.

Oh. Darn.

Sound: Light Bulb

Maya takes off, leaving us along with our thoughts...

...and a TV news broadcast.

A large, unidentified animal was sighted at Gourd Lake!

The town is buzzing with excitement!

Odds of case relevance: 80%

Though its namesake, Nessie, proved to be a hoax...

locals are confident their Gourdy is the real deal.

*yawn* Bor-ing.

Nick?
Sound: Realization

?

Did she go home and come back already? Or does Phoenix have a shower in the office for some reason?

You want more pressure, huh?

Now, that's just mean.

Strange occurrences continue at Gourd Lake... But this time, it's murder!

(Gourd Lake again?)

Do you think Phoenix has the news on in his office so he can watch out for new murders and go offer to defend people?

A suspect was apprehended. Sources inside the police department revealed...

Well, guess we're defending him after all. That explains his sudden face-turn last episode; the game couldn't have us defending the asshat from Episode 2. Will we see a new prosecutor?

Edgeworth was an up-and-coming prosecutor, known for his skill and connections.

He was guaranteed a long and rewarding career... Has he thrown it all away?

(...?)

I feel like we've been saying "Edgeworth!?" a lot lately.

What's going on!?
Sound: Guilty

Sound: Whack

Nick?

Yipes! M-Maya!
Sound: Stab

We've got bigger things to worry about than that!

They arrested Edgeworth!

Yeah, he's a suspect... in a murder!

Sound: Damage 2

Sound: Drama Pound

I-I don't know!

Sound: Objection

We're on the case!

Music: Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme

Let's look around the office, see what's changed the last month or two.

Looks like it's cleaning day again at the hotel across the way.

I can see the bellboy, getting the angle of that screwdriver in the drawer just right.

Mia's favorite plant. Its name is "Charley."

Charley's been perking up these days.

Maya brought in a poster of the Steel Samurai the other day.

We had a big fight over whether to put it up or not.

It's nice that they came up with new examine dialogue for the office for this episode.

Difficult-looking legal books stand in a formidable row. They mock me.

I tried reading one, and it made my head hurt.

Based on past experience, knowledge of the laws is not exactly critical to these cases anyway.

Mia's desk.

Lately, I've been spending more time on the couch, watching TV.

Phoenix...isn't a very good lawyer, is he?

Any early advice for us Maya?

Well, what should we do?

What do you mean?

Let's investigate!

(You're right... We need more information! Save aimlessness and confusion for later!)

Well? Got any good ideas?

Not really.

That doesn't seem very convenient.

We wrap up with our classic "present badge" maneuver.

You know, I think it's developing a nice luster.

(I suppose you're right...)

As Maya mentioned, we have two choices on where to go first. Should we go to the detention center to talk to Edgeworth, or the crime scene to look for clues?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Here we go :dance: here we go :dance: here we go :dance: here we go

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detention Center. We have to talk to Edgeworth before we start assuming we're going to be defending him. I mean, we all know we are going to be, but we have to go through the motions.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ugh I can't believe they show the killer in the first cutscene again, this is supposed to be a murder mystery! :mad:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quackles posted:

Here we go :dance: here we go :dance: here we go :dance: here we go

:dance: :emptyquote: :dance:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ah - this is a good one. Looking forward to THIS.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Nice. The client is our biggest rival! Clearly no conflict of interest defending him.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Yeah, we should probably determine whether or not we have the case before we begin snooping. Be a bit awkward if we gather up all the evidence and then Edgeworth says, “No, get lost.”

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs
Yeah, let's go see our peer.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

How could we pass up this opportunity to gloat pay our bills?

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Yep, gotta go check in on ol’ Edgey before we start investigating.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I don't know what the big deal is. Without Edgeworth, that leaves the only other prosecutor as Winston Payne, and he's a pushover. This case will be done a couple of hours into the first day of court, tops!

In all seriousness, this is a fantastic case and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Spoilers, Payne has done a training routine of 100 situps, 100 pushups, 100 squats and a 10km run every day since the prologue and now will punch all our arguments into oblivion.
Rip what was left of his hair but that's a sacrifice he was willing to make for revenge.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Nah gently caress it, let's go hunt Gourdy.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dirk the Average posted:

I don't know what the big deal is. Without Edgeworth, that leaves the only other prosecutor as Winston Payne, and he's a pushover. This case will be done a couple of hours into the first day of court, tops!

Nah, he's graduated to being a Payne in the neck :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I love Maya :allears:

Anyway, this case's opening is real good, just immediately hooks you right in. Looking forward to this!

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
This is the case I've been waiting for. For anyone who doesn't know how things will go from here, prepare for one great case.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Normally I'd feel guilty for taking part in obnoxious "oh boy just you wait" kind of posting. But the great thing is, it's not even any kind of spoiler that poo poo is gonna be wild when we already opened with a scene of Edgeworth holding a freaking gun.

At this point of my first ever playthrough I was already pretty drat excited, I tell you what.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Two notes- 1. The newscaster might be wrong about Gourdy, as others have speculated. The creature might be real. Nessie too. And ufos, sasquatches, etc too. You never know.

2. Winston Payne might not be the only prosecutor left to oppose us. Didn’t they mention a chief prosecutor at some point? Clearly Payne & Edgeworth aren’t qualified for that position. Then again the chief may not want to take on this case personally. Then again, they might, seeing as the accused is a prominent member of their staff. Bottom line, we should not be overconfident we lack strong opposition. In fact, to quote my favorite Greek philosopher, we should keep our expectations low, expect the worse, assume nothing, and always anticipate an attack.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ah, toupee

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Wait a second. I'm confused. Those are not the same hand.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

apostateCourier posted:

Wait a second. I'm confused. Those are not the same hand.

Also that gun looks like someone trying to draw a Luger from memory in 5 minutes.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ugh I can't believe they show the killer in the first cutscene again, this is supposed to be a murder mystery! :mad:

I'd be interested in your take on Columbo

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 77: Episode 4, Day 1, Investigation: Request Denied

Off to see Edgeworth!

You know, Nick...

I guess it comes with the territory.

Probably not.

After a suitable dramatic pause, Edgeworth appears! He wears that outfit for suspicious night outings at the lake, I see.

Sound: Stab 2

Maya is either surprised by his sudden appearance, or pierced by his glare.

I'm not sure Edgeworth is happy to see us guys.

I love how the fades in/out for Edgeworth here are much slower than normal.

Nick, I don't think he's in a very good mood.

Well, he is in detention.

Were you in a good mood when you were here?

We're going to have to convince him to let us help him, aren't we? Like we did with Maya way back.

Sound: Super Shock

Nick... Should we be laughing?

Edgeworth.

We don't have so much free time we can spend it coming down here to laugh at you.

(Actually, he's right.)

Music: Detention Center - Jailer's Elegy

Not like this.

(I didn't want to see you like this, either. Believe me.)

He still looks fabulous at least.

Quick look around first...

This guard monitors the visitor's room.

He hasn't moved an inch since I came in. A real pro.

Nothing new for the camera, so let's just remind Edgeworth why we're here.

Your attorney's badge...?

Edgeworth.

Let me defend you.

Good one, Wright.

But I'm not that hard up. Not yet.

I guess it makes sense he'd have better connections than us.

Phoenix really has just been sitting around between episodes, huh? I'd hoped he was at least in traffic court defending parking tickets or something.

Wh-what!?

My case is near hopeless, Wright.

Sounds like you are pretty hard up, then.

What?

Simply put, they were afraid they'd lose.

We're probably still the only ones to ever beat Edgeworth.

He was probably a dick to them the whole time, too. No wonder they won't defend him.

I don't believe it!

You in particular I cannot ask to do this.

There's a lot of history between these two that we'll have to dig into eventually.

I think we're going to have to work a little harder to get Edgeworth to tell us anything, but let's give it a shot.

Edgeworth. Tell me what happened.

Duh!

We're going to help you, that's what!

...!

Don't be ridiculous.

Sorry...?

H-hey!

Sure, you got lucky and won all three...

You need real skill, Wright. Experience!

Edgeworth isn't a believer in our protagonist powers yet.

Why am I always the one who has to get angry!?

The murder took place at Gourd Lake, correct?

Yes... late last night.

Late on Christmas Eve... Santa Claus is the killer!

Why were you down there?

M-Mr. Edgeworth!

Gourdy.

Huh?

The lake monster?

"Gourdy"?

What's that!?

I'll... tell you later.

(Why won't Edgeworth talk to us?)

We do get one more conversation topic after all that. (We also have to present our badge for this topic to appear; an interesting requirement.)

Edgeworth... this is really hard for me to ask...

But... you didn't do it, right? Right?

I have only one request.

Huh?

Why!?

B-but Nick is trying to help you!

I know...! I know that!

!!!
Sound: Shock 2

Why not?

Edgeworth rapidly fades away, the static portrait equivalent of storming off.

Nick...

Mr. Edgeworth did it, didn't he.

But, Nick...

Well, that wasn't very productive.

Guess we'll just have to go check out the lake next.

DKII fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 4, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ah, the romantic tension...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So- we need to find the important evidence at the crime scene that proves Edgeworth innocent, or at least establishes reasonable doubt. Then we can get him to hire us. Maybe.

Oh, and one more thing.

Columbo is awesome. :)

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Presenting the badge continues to be the best option. 1% of the time, it works. Every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Samovar posted:

Ah, the romantic tension...

Wrightworth is one of the few pairings in the fandom that I do not like. They just don't work together, at least to me.