Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I like where Geats is going. My only complaint is Kekera getting a big CGI form instead of a normal Rider form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023
Is there any info and trivia on the suit actors who does the actual fight scenes and stunts

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gripweed posted:

I like where Geats is going. My only complaint is Kekera getting a big CGI form instead of a normal Rider form

Agreed and yeah, it's a bit of a bummer, but it kinda makes sense that Kekera would have a frog form, given his normal appearance in the show and the way he supports Tycoon.

That said, I just realized how much I appreciate that they scaled back the sounds and vocalizations from the drivers for this season. They still talk, but they're a lot more restrained than they have been in recent shows, and it's really refreshing.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
What, you mean youre not a fan of

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

GateOfD posted:

Is there any info and trivia on the suit actors who does the actual fight scenes and stunts

What would you like to know about in particular? There's lots of info about all of them but there's lots of different stunt teams and big names relevant to the topic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

King of Solomon posted:

Agreed and yeah, it's a bit of a bummer, but it kinda makes sense that Kekera would have a frog form, given his normal appearance in the show and the way he supports Tycoon.

Oh poo poo he’s gonna combine with Tycoon isn’t he?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
drat I need to continue watching Donbrothers.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pyroi posted:

No, I am, but it's good in moderation, y'know?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Pyroi posted:

I would absolutely adore a Rider season with a side character's transformation jingles taking so long to complete there is an entire other fight happening around them but this isn't the franchise for that kind of thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
https://twitter.com/einsoid_/status/1630718157177356291?t=Mdl9dQV2ECD1Y9DJkBaecw&s=19

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The first Kamen Rider I tried to watch was Wizard because martial artists and wizards are a cool combination and the belt's nonstop interjections turned me off of the whole show before the end of the first episode. It was this minute or so at the end of the big fight that broke me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaKR_vJdwNY&t=1007s

Having watched a lot of other shows since then... it still seems egregious to me. Shut up, magic belt!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I will admit when I watched Build and early on there's that scene where Sento transforms next to a man cradling his dying fiance, that juxtaposition felt a bit off.

But then the talking belts in Build led to one of the best moments in Kamen Rider history, so there's no way to say if they're good or bad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I will admit when I watched Build and early on there's that scene where Sento transforms next to a man cradling his dying fiance, that juxtaposition felt a bit off.

But then the talking belts in Build led to one of the best moments in Kamen Rider history, so there's no way to say if they're good or bad.

At least 2 of them.

The first Black Hazard "OH NOOOOO" is perfect, no notes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gripweed posted:

The talking belt in the scene next to the dying fiance and the talking belt during Grease Blizzard are exactly the same thing. It's bathos. It's art.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The belt screaming ARE YOU READY as Sento contemplates the awful war-filled future he's about to go down is one of the greatest moments of that show bar none. It's a runner up behind Grease Blizzard and YABEI of course but it rules.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Deleter posted:

The belt screaming ARE YOU READY as Sento contemplates the awful war-filled future he's about to go down is one of the greatest moments of that show bar none. It's a runner up behind Grease Blizzard and YABEI of course but it rules.

Blizzard kind of just did the same thing with the ARE YOU READY (to die), it's just that Grease has no doubts or regrets so it's over in a second.

Still a great subversion of a stock enthusiastic sound effect.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 1, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It was a weapon rather than a belt but Mach did a similar thing near the end of Drive (“It said go for it didn’t it?”)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The first RabbitRabbit transformation also does this but for the bad guys perspective it rules.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/blockwonkel/status/1631334129265516561?t=pKe9wwSvFYVrhtbLQ907yg&s=19

If I had a nickel for every time this happened, I'd have two nickels in the span of a year

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/blockwonkel/status/1631334129265516561?t=pKe9wwSvFYVrhtbLQ907yg&s=19

If I had a nickel for every time this happened, I'd have two nickels in the span of a year

The other one being Black Sun’s barely disguised portrayal of the late Abe Shinzo I assume?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Shaezerus posted:

I would absolutely adore a Rider season with a side character's transformation jingles taking so long to complete there is an entire other fight happening around them but this isn't the franchise for that kind of thing.

One of the reasons I dropped out of watching Saber is because those belts/books just never shut up.
And it wasn't even "cool english nonsense" it was just a lot of normal Japanese that kept going.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

The other one being Black Sun’s barely disguised portrayal of the late Abe Shinzo I assume?

Yeah, lol.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i feel like Michinaga's overreacting a bit.

"My best friend died because of two assholes who wore belts so I'm going to stop anyone from wearing a belt or being a Kamen Rider by siding with the people who want plant zombie monsters to overrun the world"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Junpei posted:

"My best friend died because of two assholes who wore belts so I'm going to stop anyone from wearing a belt or being a Kamen Rider by siding with the people who want plant zombie monsters to overrun the world"

I think would be more reasonable if we saw more Riders like the ones in his flashback. We've seen some lovely behavior, but not enough to explain his single-minded goal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's had to deal with Ace too

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Waffleman_ posted:

He's had to deal with Ace too

Ace is mostly just kinda shifty, though.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Junpei posted:

He doesn't seem particularly fond of the plant zombie people either. Overall, it seems like Michinaga more just hates the DGP and its systems as a whole - including the Jyamato. He's just too shortsighted to come up with a more effective wish to solve the problem, so he just wants the one that makes him strong enough to beat up all of his problems.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023
the riders are such drama queens and there is so much infighting between.

anyway, new sentai in a few days i think, gonna attempt to follow/watch it weekly best as i can

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Trogglodyte posted:

He doesn't seem particularly fond of the plant zombie people either. Overall, it seems like Michinaga more just hates the DGP and its systems as a whole - including the Jyamato. He's just too shortsighted to come up with a more effective wish to solve the problem, so he just wants the one that makes him strong enough to beat up all of his problems.

He's really had no character development so far. I hope he gets some soon, now that the paradigm has been shaken up

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm still under the impression that Micchy 2 (Electric Buffaloo) cares less about any of the bigger implications of the DGP and behind the scenes shenanigans compared to his axe to grind

Any moral concerns of his are tertiary compared to "gently caress YOU, KAMEN RIDER!" hence his lack of hesitation when it comes to joining up with killer plants from Dimension X or toxic audience lady.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OnimaruXLR posted:

Micchy 2 (Electric Buffaloo)

:perfect:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://old.reddit.com/r/supersentai/comments/11h36en/japanese_children_are_willing_to_watch_anything/

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
For some weird reason I assumed Ace was like hundreds of years old, like he was around in ye olden times or something. I guess because of the old coin, and the fact that in the flashback with his mother it looked like she was wearing a toga? But no, they showed him becoming Geats and he was a high school student in modern Japan.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Twelve by Pies posted:

For some weird reason I assumed Ace was like hundreds of years old, like he was around in ye olden times or something. I guess because of the old coin, and the fact that in the flashback with his mother it looked like she was wearing a toga? But no, they showed him becoming Geats and he was a high school student in modern Japan.

That was my assumption too, but when we found out that the DGP only takes place shortly before societal calamities that does limit things somewhat.

My current guess is that he was born a long time ago during a previous season and his mom used the DGP to take him out of that era to avoid the calamity

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Gripweed posted:

That was my assumption too, but when we found out that the DGP only takes place shortly before societal calamities that does limit things somewhat.

My current guess is that he was born a long time ago during a previous season and his mom used the DGP to take him out of that era to avoid the calamity

-which subs mentioned societal calamities? cause the impression i got was the DGP just was jumping around the timeline. -which considering Ace's first wish meant he'd be doing so as well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Given that time travel is involved, it's probably a lot more unclear as to what time period he was born in, but we know that he has memories of his mother in a Roman era and was first picked up for the DGP in the modern era. It's possible he was brought along with her in secret or something as she did her duties and then dropped off in the modern day to protect him.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Xelkelvos posted:

Given that time travel is involved, it's probably a lot more unclear as to what time period he was born in, but we know that he has memories of his mother in a Roman era and was first picked up for the DGP in the modern era. It's possible he was brought along with her in secret or something as she did her duties and then dropped off in the modern day to protect him.

yeah, plus we've seen a fake family for ace already thanks to Ziin where his parents are listed as "Ukiyo Mika and Ukiyo Issei".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

M.Matsuda posted:

-which subs mentioned societal calamities? cause the impression i got was the DGP just was jumping around the timeline. -which considering Ace's first wish meant he'd be doing so as well.

Huh. I guess I just made that up in my head.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Twelve by Pies posted:

Ace himself explicitly said he was born in 0 AD. Niram's also noted his anachronistic levels of skill even as a teenager. This third point is from Movie Battle Royale's post-credits stinger, and since it's not freely available to view I'm putting it in spoiler tags and warning it is a spoiler which will be clarified in-show probably in April or May once the Bluray for it is out: The DGP staff (Can't remember if it was Niram or Giroli specifically) have a horrified realization that Ace genuinely is "not from this era." Given the reveal that the DGP is managed by people from the future, this can have a variety of different potential meanings, but I'm pretty sure it indicates he's older than it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Trogglodyte posted:

Ace himself explicitly said he was born in 0 AD.

Ace is Jesus