Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ulio posted:

Man Ivy is such a beast. I was wondering why everyone using her on maddening runs. Fliers are always strong but drat at the time you get her she is really strong with just a couple of levels.

Plus hardly anyone doubles in maddening anyways, so one of her biggest flaws isn't an issue.

That dex cap is painful for trying to land thoron on speedy enemies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Engaging with Tiki has a fairly obvious drawback of "is Tiki" to go along with the fairly obvious advantage of "is Tiki".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah that's true, Tiki does have the issue of taking away any ranged attacks you might have while engaged, I forgot about that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Engaging with Tiki has a fairly obvious drawback of "is Tiki" to go along with the fairly obvious advantage of "is Tiki".

Imagine for a minute: in some other world they decided in development to make that downside the upside of "is Fae"

Also they made the manakate engage form into a proper murder chicken.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Specifically the long term development and relationship with the lost emblems. Them going evil doesn't really achieve anything to develop anyone and you kinda just get them back and nobody really reacts.

In particular with Marth being so important, I think him being lost for such a long time does a lot to undercut the development of anything between him and Alear.

Broadly I accept that "I want more out of the Emblems" is just a reviled opinion here, but I do and I think that the lack of development around them hurts the plot for me.

isn't Lucina coded as female marth, at least, that's how I always read it during awakening. So she "lost" marth but got "him" back (though there's not a lot of conversations between them unless you grind out bond stuff....but the bond stuff is incredibly lame by comparison to the support cutscenes. Like, the main characters have a few minutes of back and forth but the emblems are like "hi i am character. hi i am emblem responding to your statement" and it ends and there's nothing more to it)

also Anna and Camilla have a line together where Camilla references she had a different Anna in her world. This Anna goes, paraphrased "Oh so you know my sisters?" which, I'm pretty sure this particular anna never mentioned any sisters up until this point, merely saying she's been looking for her "family", but doing the fake crying thing. So, anna is aware of her other variants? :whoptc:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edelguard and tiki have some dope skills i grabbed immediately, like legacy and starsphere which I immediately grabbed and latched onto anna and jean

some of the later skills are absurd too, like tiki has Lifesphere++

edit: byleth has a 1.2x xp boost for people near him, I wonder if it stacks

Yeah, I went a bit wild with Starsphere in my hard game and got it on all of Alear, Diamant, Ivy, Anna, and Yunaka fairly early which makes a huge difference. I was thinking of benching Framme but decided to feed her XP for a couple maps with Tiki and she showed me how wrong I was by getting several near-perfect levels. Her stats are solidly better than Kagetsu's now and she still has like 1700 SP.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The Annas are canonically a pandimensional family of sisters dedicated to commerce.

This is not a joke.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also in FEH they're more than willing to rip each other off.

Either that or it's just Askr Anna, whose merchant senses have dulled due to having a different day job.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harrow posted:

Ah that's true, Tiki does have the issue of taking away any ranged attacks you might have while engaged, I forgot about that.

Also Staves.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
You can still Dance, though!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

Unfortunately I don’t see how Adaptable can be good outside of having some kind of crazy FFXII-style Gambit system

I’ll still use Leif because I like the character and the pauldrons

Yeah, you would need to either let the player get really in depth on the priority system or add in a Super Robot Wars style "select your weapon before each individual combat" menu and neither are especially good from a gameflow perspective. I think being a Sync Skill would help somewhat because at least then you can get greater control by limiting your weapons, but Leif's (pretty bad) Engage weapons just get in the way a lot of times.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

also Anna and Camilla have a line together where Camilla references she had a different Anna in her world. This Anna goes, paraphrased "Oh so you know my sisters?" which, I'm pretty sure this particular anna never mentioned any sisters up until this point, merely saying she's been looking for her "family", but doing the fake crying thing. So, anna is aware of her other variants? :whoptc:

Yes and that's actually canon. The other Annas are her sisters.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

isn't Lucina coded as female marth, at least, that's how I always read it during awakening. So she "lost" marth but got "him" back (though there's not a lot of conversations between them unless you grind out bond stuff....but the bond stuff is incredibly lame by comparison to the support cutscenes. Like, the main characters have a few minutes of back and forth but the emblems are like "hi i am character. hi i am emblem responding to your statement" and it ends and there's nothing more to it)

There's at least a couple of gems hidden in the banality. Like Chloe hitting up erika for a threesome with Ephraim. Or all the people reacting to Anna. Or literally everything with soren in it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

edit: byleth has a 1.2x xp boost for people near him, I wonder if it stacks

It does!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
On Maddening in particular, you get 13 experience for a same-level kill, and it basically increments by 1 or 2 points per level in either direction depending on which way the level difference goes.

Mentorship’s 20% experience boost essentially just kicks you up one tier on the experience reward scale, going from 13 to 15 for a same-level kill. In other words, once they’ve pulled ahead by about 100 EXP, your unit gets the same experience with Mentorship as they would have gotten without it.

It does not pay itself back. You’re essentially paying net ~150 SP (and a skill slot) for All Stats +0.5 or so from your extra 100 EXP.

e: I think on lower difficulties you just get something like twice as much EXP as on maddening? In that case the point about getting the same EXP once Mentorship has pulled you ahead by 100 still stands.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 28, 2023

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Mentorship isn't worth it on Maddening since you need to be picky with your SP and there's always better options to pick.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yes and that's actually canon. The other Annas are her sisters.

Now I'm wondering if this anna is playing the kid card as a way to manipulate customers to buy things from her. Don't buy stuff, she guilt trips you into buying it because "don't want to upset the kid! oh now she's crying sorry i was just kidding. i'll buy it now" I can't pick up the exact example but I seem to recall her doing that exact thing in some of the support segments.

That's pretty cool, anyways, the multiversal shopkeeper aware of other timelines

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 28, 2023

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I decided to do Maddenung and this is actually not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Now I'm wondering if this anna is playing the kid card as a way to manipulate customers to buy things from her. Don't buy stuff, she guilt trips you into buying it because "don't want to upset the kid! oh now she's crying sorry i was just kidding. i'll buy it now" I can't pick up the exact example but I seem to recall her doing that exact thing in some of the support segments.

That's pretty cool, anyways, the multiversal shopkeeper aware of other timelines

If anything she does the exact opposite. She is a Serious Merchant doing Serious Merchant Things. You will refer to her as 'Lady Anna' instead of just 'Anna' (or 'Anna-san' instead of just 'Anna') because you should treat her as an adult instead of a child.

Of course that just makes her seem more childish, but lol.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah she's the youngest Anna sister and she's very aware that she can play that up for more sales but she often tries to appear to be a very serious and professional merchant despite her age

I love the little money gremlin

inthesto posted:

I decided to do Maddenung and this is actually not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be!

In my experience it wasn't that tough until Chapter 10, which got me extremely tilted. Evens out a bit again after that before spiking back up eventually.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

inthesto posted:

Engage maddening is definitely the most approachable extreme difficulty in a mainline game so far. I would describe it as fairly consistently tough but fair, and the start is pretty manageable instead of kicking your balls in like most of them do.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
I understand how someone can find Bond conversations underwhelming but at the same time we’re talking about 35 characters each having unique voiced dialogue with 12+ emblems so tbh I find it impressive we got anything at all.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You guys do know that during the end credits We literally get a scene of Anna reuniting with her family in a big hug and it’s Awakening Anna and Fates Anna Right? Also Jean and his parents are watching this for some reason.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

galagazombie posted:

You guys do know that during the end credits We literally get a scene of Anna reuniting with her family in a big hug and it’s Awakening Anna and Fates Anna Right? Also Jean and his parents are watching this for some reason.

Yes, and also Anna's ending slide mentions her large family of sisters who all have the same face and name

Multidimensional identical Anna sisters are canon

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zoran posted:

On Maddening in particular, you get 13 experience for a same-level kill, and it basically increments by 1 or 2 points per level in either direction depending on which way the level difference goes.

Mentorship’s 20% experience boost essentially just kicks you up one tier on the experience reward scale, going from 13 to 15 for a same-level kill. In other words, once they’ve pulled ahead by about 100 EXP, your unit gets the same experience with Mentorship as they would have gotten without it.

It does not pay itself back. You’re essentially paying net ~150 SP (and a skill slot) for All Stats +0.5 or so from your extra 100 EXP.

e: I think on lower difficulties you just get something like twice as much EXP as on maddening? In that case the point about getting the same EXP once Mentorship has pulled you ahead by 100 still stands.

I had a quick look at it but TLDR Lineage is about 50 Net SP for a level and Mentorship is 150 Net SP. Together they're 250 SP for 1.5x a level.

And obvs you can just use them to massively expand your roster.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yes, and also Anna's ending slide mentions her large family of sisters who all have the same face and name

Multidimensional identical Anna sisters are canon

They've been canon since Awakening.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Using a larger roster on Maddening isn’t really offering you much of value. You have enough exp to hit your deployment slots and keep up with the exp curve already and going beyond that doesn’t offer you much, since you’ve also got enough roster spots to cover all important bases.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

RevolverDivider posted:

Using a larger roster on Maddening isn’t really offering you much of value. You have enough exp to hit your deployment slots and keep up with the exp curve already and going beyond that doesn’t offer you much, since you’ve also got enough roster spots to cover all important bases.

Eh disagree. Being able to hold certain characters on deck when I was blind on maddening had value since I didn't know who was good or bad and what each map would need next.

If you know what's coming it's much more limited.

Also if you're ironmanning its obviously really good.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Chapter 10 ran me out of rewinds. I always forget how the AI works in that map.

Putting Sigurd on Chloe feels so bad, but I also feel like it's the best options to nab that thief.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
you can fly up into the void underneath the chests and open them in perfect safety.

if you do this too fast the thief runs away and you lose a free steel dagger, even!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

chapter 14 had me split into two groups to get both chests since the stupid thief kept stealing it too fast, and I didn't even open the door on the left, i just teleported into the room, then waited for the group to attack from the south and then teleported from the left room into the center

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Is there a best time to do the dlc paralogues? I'm thinking I want to wait until Solm, so I'll get all the people I want to use, but I could go earlier.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

inthesto posted:

Chapter 10 ran me out of rewinds. I always forget how the AI works in that map.

Putting Sigurd on Chloe feels so bad, but I also feel like it's the best options to nab that thief.

why do you think it feels bad? stacking mobility is really really strong

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Probably because it’s also fun to just cannonball Louis into the middle of enemies with Sigurd, but yeah I’d say Chloé makes better use of Sigurd in that chapter

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Once you reach the midgame you can ween yourself off Sigurd/Louis since you’ll usually get a bit better utility out of Sigurd by stacking him on a flyer

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Harrow posted:

Probably because it’s also fun to just cannonball Louis into the middle of enemies with Sigurd, but yeah I’d say Chloé makes better use of Sigurd in that chapter
been messing around with relay trials, and on my last one I slingshotted my louis onto the enemy's side of the field. My level 20+ General Louis, wielding Brionac. The AI then used an entrap staff on him, and proceeded to do what I could only call a "reverse dogpile" which had me cackling. He's not trapped in here with you, you're trapped in here with him.

edit: it happened again with Ivy, who never failed to gain a single point of res and def every level

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 1, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sigurd is there to assist with long distance dancing

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

cheetah7071 posted:

why do you think it feels bad? stacking mobility is really really strong

Chloe just doesn't do enough damage!

Anyway, I got it by 1. remembering how the last cluster on the first half works (i.e. they won't trigger until you walk into Hortensia's staff range) so setup is easier, and 2. putting Sigurd back on Louis and picking off the thief with thunder + longbow

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Khizan posted:

Is there a best time to do the dlc paralogues? I'm thinking I want to wait until Solm, so I'll get all the people I want to use, but I could go earlier.
There is no real "best time" to do the DLC paralogues, you can do them whenever you want to. Just keep in mind that like in Fates, they scale to your army's strength. So some of them can go from manageable/mediocre to very spicy because you're now facing promoted enemies across the board.

On the other hand, having the DLC Emblems as you go into chapter 10/11 does soften the blow of losing the original six Emblems/patch up some missing proficiency areas (e.g., Soren will be your best option for knives due to losing Leif).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Outside of the first 6 missions where you're forced to use everyone, I think I'm dropping Louis faster and faster even on maddening.