Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

People should go back and read that weeks thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022225

It didn't turn to poo poo because people said they didn't like the MJF promo and got mobbed. There's a lot of good discussion about it. It turned to poo poo when it started being about if posters were racist or not for not hating the promo enough. It's a bunch of sniping and needing to get the last word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I literally said there’s no inside group, just a general familiarity and way of doing things. I also said in my first post we’ve done this a bunch and it goes nowhere and it’s clear a plurality of posters like it so really the only reasonable thing for someone like me who doesn’t feel comfortable to do is stop posting. I just didn’t follow that advice and that’s on me.

Re: Jungle Boy, I don’t wanna ignore your question to me. I just felt like others offered examples as much as I could. Unfortunately I don’t have receipts. And maybe you’re right. Maybe everytime I’ve seen some poster get jumped on it was some rereg or something. I’m not sure that’s an excuse to me for aggro, hostile posting and I think it happens in other ways including like “you don’t post enough in the forums to complain that you don’t like posting in the forums”. I’m sure the place is very welcoming to people who come in vibing with the opinions and atmosphere. And that’s very cool. I think things are rougher if you have an unpopular opinion (and assuming you’re not being offensive or trolling, which certainly some are). But again, these are all litigated matters and I really didn’t think I was saying something controversial to say groups get insular over time. Obviously it was more loaded than I was thinking last night given all the past debates and how personal this gets. That seems obvious in retrospect and it’s my bad.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

People should go back and read that weeks thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022225

It didn't turn to poo poo because people said they didn't like the MJF promo and got mobbed. There's a lot of good discussion about it. It turned to poo poo when it started being about if posters were racist or not for not hating the promo enough. It's a bunch of sniping and needing to get the last word.

Mate, when there are people literally saying "it's not that bad," or "it's not racist," and going largely unchallenged, as part of this alleged "good discussion," in addition to repeated posts about why we're apparently not allowed to be offended, that's a discussion I want absolutely no part of.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 28, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, discussions happen in public spaces. No one can control the fact that the forum is not a unanimous voice.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Cavauro posted:

there's like 70 to 200 people browsing the forum all the time. if the argument is that most of these people read the threads and shake their heads in disgust because they can't have good wrestling discussion, then first of all that's more than enough people to fulfill the dream somewhere. why it has to be here i don't know. if there's a sense of ownership or longing to use this place and boot out the jagoffs or make them fall in line, then present your case to hand knit or someone in a sensible way. point out exactly how much better a forum it is if they would force people to stop being silly and to permit only the most "readable" impassioned wrestling love letters. entrust one another with writing out some example posts that you'd make if you felt it would be worthwhile. as it is, there are like 3 or 4 posts a week of someone insulting another person and going to this well of justice to act like it's warranted. there's no discussion to be had about this because every time someone brings it up they are acting as agents of how things must be and saying the majority of users are in a group together. a group that is willfully keeping this place bad. it's not reasonable. It reads much more like you enjoy insulting the people who post here first and foremost and don't really care that much about the rest. prove me wrong or stop it.

this answer isn't wrong, and I think it's the only one we can realistically reach, but boy, it feels bad when our already small community has to relitigate this problem on a bimonthly basis and every time we do there are a few voices that haven't been heard in awhile that chime in to say 'actually, yeah, the thread culture is kind of weird and it's why I mostly stopped posting in it,' and the general response is a helpless shrug because thread culture isn't really a thing that can be identified let alone shifted and all we can do is have the threads proceed in the way most of the people in the threads want them to.

And that probably, is, all we can do. These problems aren't problems in the sense of problems, they're problems in the sense of in any party with more than your close friends in it someone's going to think someone's an rear end in a top hat. It's just a forum and all we can do is post or not post on it. but it sure does suck to see people constantly get into fights about the idea of in-groups and out-groups existing on our forum floating in space when the inevitable ending to every discussion about how it's stupid to think of people in a group having collective posting standards is the reminder that the majority of posters like things this way.

I do not think there is a better answer outside of asking people to be kind, which we already do. the enertron gives me rest, but I'm still hungry.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Anyone scared of posting, just post your own thread with specific info about how the posting should be done in the thread. I feel like that happens in BYOB and GBS

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

The enclosed pool area is also back if you really need to talk about masturbating to wrestlers, I guess.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

An Taoiseach posted:

It feels like we did this like 6 months ago, and back then, it was agreed that this is generally a positive place to talk about wrestling. It is! It's better than pretty much everywhere else online, always has been, and it's welcoming to newcomers for sure.

The thing is though, there is absolutely a received wisdom in the forum of AEW Rules, WWE Drools. While I can understand why that is, it can make the WWE thread especially a chore, when it feels like there's a constant tide of shitposting in there. If you're coming to talk about how much you liked the 5 Hour Energy Slam of the Week or whatever, it's not the place for you.

And that's fair- the received wisdom, after all, is WWE Droolz. However, to me that knowledge is the "insider" stuff STAC Goat was taking about, it's not individuals so much, it's a general vibe. I can see how every once in a while, someone who doesn't necessarily understand that will get upset and start lashing out, like our most recent re-reg guy did.

Just my two cents, see you in 6 months when it happens again

a couple of years ago there was only one major american wrestling company and the prevailing attitude in the wwe threads here was exactly the same as it is now

posters in this subforum have always spent the majority of the time making jokes about the many things they hate on the shows and highlighting the rare things they think are good when they happen

the overarching internet wrestling culture has gotten more factional and this has lead to people constantly trying to shove people's normal longstanding reactions to wwe into a Wrestling War narrative

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Anyone scared of posting, just post your own thread with specific info about how the posting should be done in the thread. I feel like that happens in BYOB and GBS

It's what I did with the TV deal thread. :shrug:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Evil Badman posted:

The enclosed pool area is also back if you really need to talk about masturbating to wrestlers, I guess.

:wth: it's time!!!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Evil Badman posted:

This is how I find out

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Maaaaaan why'd you have to say anything :mad:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Cavauro posted:

the seemingly very successful and happy discord sounds like a good solution to the problem, which doesn't need to be arrogantly pushed on everyone else in an attempt to shame people for using nicknames when they talk about wrestling, or otherwise act like objective observers talking about how posting must be done. the plea about "what i want to see" earlier in this thread is something else. if the threads here are to be entertainment for people, they should be for the users who are making the posts. not people who come in to complain and swear they would post more if everyone else was better. why do you think the people who do enjoy themselves here want that? why do you think you are higher quality than other people or whatever is causing this? get a grip.

Cavauro posted:

there's like 70 to 200 people browsing the forum all the time. if the argument is that most of these people read the threads and shake their heads in disgust because they can't have good wrestling discussion, then first of all that's more than enough people to fulfill the dream somewhere. why it has to be here i don't know. if there's a sense of ownership or longing to use this place and boot out the jagoffs or make them fall in line, then present your case to hand knit or someone in a sensible way. point out exactly how much better a forum it is if they would force people to stop being silly and to permit only the most "readable" impassioned wrestling love letters. entrust one another with writing out some example posts that you'd make if you felt it would be worthwhile. as it is, there are like 3 or 4 posts a week of someone insulting another person and going to this well of justice to act like it's warranted. there's no discussion to be had about this because every time someone brings it up they are acting as agents of how things must be and saying the majority of users are in a group together. a group that is willfully keeping this place bad. it's not reasonable. It reads much more like you enjoy insulting the people who post here first and foremost and don't really care that much about the rest. prove me wrong or stop it.

cav correct as usual

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cavauro posted:

there's like 70 to 200 people browsing the forum all the time.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Happiness posted:

the overarching internet wrestling culture has gotten more factional and this has lead to people constantly trying to shove people's normal longstanding reactions to wwe into a Wrestling War narrative

I think this is the big thing. It's sometimes hard to step back a bit from something you really like, even if you're aware of those old "geek social fallacies" lists and that a criticism of something you enjoy isn't a direct knock on you as a person.

I'm kind of distant from the whole thing and I don't regularly follow the AEW thread, but I feel like this is why some people had trouble acknowledging that the MJF promo might have been offensive to others. WWE has been pumping out content that's very clearly offensive and racist for literal decades, so the concern that AEW might have also done something in that line gets slotted into a wider back-and-forth about the two companies when that shouldn't be the case, because it's irrelevant. I think most people here know that, but sometimes it gets a bit lost, especially if you're dwelling on what the "WWE stan on Twitter" or some other idiot has to say about it.

Similarly, I posted in the social media thread recently about a time I vaguely remember (no receipts unfortunately, as usual, but I'm 95% I didn't dream it) when someone was uncomfortable about the use of blood in wrestling and one or two people accused them of swallowing Vince McMahon's tripe about it being "barbaric" or whatever, seemingly forgetting that lots of people have a natural aversion to blood and/or people cutting themselves. It's a personal thing, not a silly partisan culture thing that many people might not be aware of in the first place!

I just think it would be nice if we all took a step back sometimes. We all like the same thing, we can have a community that matches that vibe. Most places on the internet don't match it, but most people here are cool. :)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

idgi

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i presume that nobody is flying the dang plane?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I understand it the plane graphic is from a study the military did to determine where a plane was most vulnerable so it could be reinforced. So they did a study of bullet holes and damage and came up with that. But then they realized the problem is that they were studying the planes that made it back, not the ones that were shot down. That information was missing and they could never get it so that made it a lot harder to actually find accurate conclusions.

I assume the point is that a forum made up of people who are happy at the way the forum works are the planes that made it back. We don't know what the planes that were shot down didn't like or how to address it because they're gone.

But I'm not sure. That's just how I interpreted it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Hulk Hogan has assumed control of the aircraft

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Actually you’ll find that was HO KOGAN

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I just think it would be nice if we all took a step back sometimes. We all like the same thing, we can have a community that matches that vibe. Most places on the internet don't match it, but most people here are cool. :)

This is how I've thought about the forums for a while now, even before becoming a mod.

This is such a silly thing we all like and this is such a silly place to spend :10bux: to talk about it. I probably sound like a broken record, but I just wish the forums (the AEW threads especially) could chill a bit and have a good time talking about wrestling in a more sincere way. I, too, get tired of the endless "number bad", "weepy wangman", etc. stuff. Not like I haven't made these types of posts/jokes before, but man do they get run into the ground here in an unusual way.

I also hope that the people who feel like they've been run out of threads because people jumped on them for having an opinion and made them feel uncomfortable come back to the threads and can post without feeling that same way again.

At the end of the day, it's wrestling. It's just wrestling. And unless there are secret wrestlers on the forums (hello Kane, hello Tony Khan) then we really have no skin in the game and probably shouldn't care quite as much as we do.

I dunno. Just typing into the void and hoping we can have better forums that are fun for more people and easier for new folks to get into.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

This is how I've thought about the forums for a while now, even before becoming a mod.

This is such a silly thing we all like and this is such a silly place to spend :10bux: to talk about it. I probably sound like a broken record, but I just wish the forums (the AEW threads especially) could chill a bit and have a good time talking about wrestling in a more sincere way. I, too, get tired of the endless "number bad", "weepy wangman", etc. stuff. Not like I haven't made these types of posts/jokes before, but man do they get run into the ground here in an unusual way.

I also hope that the people who feel like they've been run out of threads because people jumped on them for having an opinion and made them feel uncomfortable come back to the threads and can post without feeling that same way again.

At the end of the day, it's wrestling. It's just wrestling. And unless there are secret wrestlers on the forums (hello Kane, hello Tony Khan) then we really have no skin in the game and probably shouldn't care quite as much as we do.

I dunno. Just typing into the void and hoping we can have better forums that are fun for more people and easier for new folks to get into.

What’s your stance on the phrase Pissbaby, which gets posts nine to ten times more than Weepy Wangman?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NienNunb posted:

What’s your stance on the phrase Pissbaby, which gets posts nine to ten times more than Weepy Wangman?

🐸☕️

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Not like I haven't made these types of posts/jokes before, but man do they get run into the ground here in an unusual way.

this is my only thought about this place otherwise i love all of you and i enjoy reading your thoughts.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NienNunb posted:

I must have mentally filtered it out of my brain. But as a general stance, I don’t care much about any of these phrases outside of being tired of seeing them used over and over again. None of them bother me at a personal level or anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MJeff posted:

It's what I did with the TV deal thread. :shrug:

I think this was a great example where a poster didn’t like how a topic was being discussed in the main AEW threads (some unfunny posters were saying things like Rampage is dying etc) and they made their own good thread about it. Sometimes it really is that easy. I’m being 100% serious.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I'm not "Sealioning" whatever that means

it was this weeks phrase that means someone got offended by something that I had to google because I had never heard it before

these new phrases are coming fast and furious nowadays, a quarter sentence at a time

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orange Carlisle posted:

it was this weeks phrase that means someone got offended by something that I had to google because I had never heard it before

these new phrases are coming fast and furious nowadays, a quarter sentence at a time

These dang kids got TOO MANY WORDS, about a concept coined in 2014

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Yep. Webcomic says it all right there. Gotta know the terminology bro. 9 years old thing at that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Webcomics:corsair:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
If someone posted at me and used a word like sealioning, I would probably correctly assume that they were a twitter-brained freak.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If someone posted at me and used a word like sealioning, I would probably correctly assume that they were a twitter-brained freak.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Asking for proof of a damning declarative statement, chudly

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Dog pile initiated. Alpha team in position. Positivity and Negativity chemicals have been distributed for dispersion. Let's gently caress this place up something real nice for the boys back home.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The loving rules thread bullies are at it again

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What I've learned is that OP didn't use sealioning correctly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the psp shadow Discord meeting an innocent roman Reigns avatar:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

These dang kids got TOO MANY WORDS, about a concept coined in 1940

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus