Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

So you’re a US military physician? :v:

welcome aboard!

Haha, I would not be surprised if that isn't the standard type of care in most militaries. :v: I did sometimes give out activated charcoal tablets if someone got diarrhea, so it wasn't just ibuprofen though! Anything more complex than that was in general handled by the nurses, and I would be the person who forced whatever officer was refusing to send a poor recruit (who just had someone fire a rifle next to his unprotected ear or something equally horrific) to actually receive proper healthcare at the hands of said nurses.

Thanks! You guys seem like a really nice bunch here!

bad_fmr posted:

For some reason concertina wire is known in Finland as NATO-wire. Is it some NATO standard or something, or where does that name come from?

The new fancy stretchers were also known as NATO-stretchers back in my time. I just took it to mean "new and NATO standard", rather than made from wood basically.

I did once manage to get stuck in a roll of NATO-wire that I was supposed to remove from a defensive position, and that was one hell of a time to untangle myself. I don't want to even imagine trying to do that under fire.

Set fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have SOME taste.

I wouldn't be caught dead living in Miami. It's like tropical Cleveland.

You don't want to party in the city where the heat is on, all night on the beach 'til the break of dawn?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
One note about single run concertina wire is that if you stretch it out too far it becomes really easy to go through. You just step on the part where the wires meet and you can pretty much do it at the run if you are an agile 19 year old.

So, like a lot of things, you have to use it right.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bad_fmr posted:

For some reason concertina wire is known in Finland as NATO-wire. Is it some NATO standard or something, or where does that name come from?

Apparently there is a NATO standard BTO-22 that governs the specifications for razor wire. First I'd heard of it, but the existence of that standard doesn't surprise me.

Edit: I'm not sure if that's a NATO or manufacturers' specification, as there are different numerical designations of the stuff.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 28, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I imagine that's the box of fuzes merrily riding out on the avalanche of mines near the end lol.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
how easy would it be to set off a mine with a grenade or shot?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

mlmp08 posted:

Plus they built a whole new airplane and called it the F/A-18 again.

"F/A-18 Hornet? no, no, no heh. this here is the F/A-18 Super Hornet :smug:"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

That depends on the mine. Could be anything from trivial to impossible.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dick Bastardly posted:

"F/A-18 Hornet? no, no, no heh. this here is the F/A-18 Super Hornet :smug:"

The air force did it with the F-86D, which only had 25% commonality with normal Sabres.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Depends on the mine. C4 is famous for being so stable so you can burn it and it doesn’t go off, and if that’s what in those it won’t go off if you shoot it.

Explosives science comes up a lot in the dangerous chemistry thread. Making things that go boom isn’t difficult at all, making ones that go boom only when commanded to is the hard part. And that seems like some fairly well-explored territory.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Russia still concentrating on Bakhmut. Most talking heads I see are predicting it's complete fall within the week.
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1630602254171480064?s=19

And things are on fire in Kherson and kadiivka
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1630600155731820546?t=54To_K_M8me5eiYSoq-PBQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1630602767302524928?t=3YvXaVvcu8OcxrYzRI15mQ&s=19

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Pfeh, try transporting that many anti-tank mines with pallets.

(Remember when pallets and their lack of use by Russia were a large subject last year)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Generally speaking, most things with explosives are designed and made to be as insensitive as possible, you don't want minefields randomly going off after all and you want to be able to move and install them with confidence that your logistics or engineers won't go boom. The truly sensitive (to shock, temperature, whatnot) material tends to be in the fuse, while the primary charge is somewhat more tolerant to normal abuse.

So with many caveats around design, explosive composition, how they were stored (in a warehouse that cycled temperature for 40 years?), and so on: they shouldn't go off when shot with something with less oomph than a .50, unless the fuse is installed and you managed to trigger it. As for grenades, it's all about horseshoes, distance from mine to explosion. A frag grenade typically has a rather small bursting charge so you'll want to get it nice and close. Obviously this matters less as you use more and more explosives: see the MCLC.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ASAPI posted:

Concertina and Razor wire are technically the same, with concertina having a requirement of being coiled (kinda like the difference between whiskey and bourbon, one has more qualifiers). Barbed wire is just wire with "barbs" evenly spaced along (think farm fencing).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concertina_wire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_wire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbed_wire

Notice how the first two articles even share the same pictures, they are really close. Many people use the two terms interchangeably.

Thanks. So how does that effect how the antipersonnel barrier works or is overcome? Is it all the same or is there a reason to mix in tensioned barbed wire in concertina bails?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Murgos posted:

One note about single run concertina wire is that if you stretch it out too far it becomes really easy to go through. You just step on the part where the wires meet and you can pretty much do it at the run if you are an agile 19 year old.

So, like a lot of things, you have to use it right.

Any time I had to use it it was called triple-strand, as you'd use three strands to make a pyramid. Two on the bottom, one on the top. One strand you could theoretically just jump over if you got a good start and a high clearance (and weren't hauling 80 pounds of gear on your shoulders). Triple strand? Good luck with that poo poo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Fragrag posted:

Pfeh, try transporting that many anti-tank mines with pallets.

(Remember when pallets and their lack of use by Russia were a large subject last year)

Those might be a pile of deactiviated mines recovered from a field or three? No pallets when you're digging them off the roads.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

M_Gargantua posted:

Thanks. So how does that effect how the antipersonnel barrier works or is overcome? Is it all the same or is there a reason to mix in tensioned barbed wire in concertina bails?

I usually only see barbed wire on fences, both agriculture and security.

When you start talking about laying multiple layers of concertina/razor wire and/or barbed wire, it just becomes a matter of how much you want to screw with people. The more garbage in your way, the longer it takes to clear/traverse. The barriers can be defeated, but it takes time and energy, often while being shot at.

With the way modern wire is set up (both shredding flesh and wrapping itself around axles) the only reason to add additional stands or barbed wire is to be a general dick and provide longer delays.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Murgos posted:

... I don't think I want to see a Reaper or something similar with US markings all over it hastily scribbled out and Ukraine flag stickers on it sitting smoking in a field outside St Petersburg. Not that Ukraine can't get it, just that they have to not put the US in a bad position with it.

This is a domestic Ukrainian-built recon drone, they've built them since 2020. A reaper would presumably replace artillery recon drones they fly near the frontlines, freeing their domestic-built ones to be filled with tnt and be flown into important Russian military industrial buildings.

The interesting part is how are they guiding them? Stock UJ-22:s are flown by a remote operator over a link that certainly won't cover the distance of 500km from the border, which is where this crashed. Are they replacing that with autonomous (presumably GPS-based) guidance? Starlink? An iridium satphone?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Those might be a pile of deactiviated mines recovered from a field or three? No pallets when you're digging them off the roads.

I absolutely would not trust deactivated Russian mines, fuse in or no. They would only need to sneak one into that truck to make a mess of things.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Pro tip: If you ever have to transport a live AT mine, a fun thing to do is to convince everyone in the truck that they're really sensitive and then once you start driving, hit every pothole you can and go "Oops! My bad!" while broadcasting their screams over the radio.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Arrath posted:

I imagine that's the box of fuzes merrily riding out on the avalanche of mines near the end lol.

All the stuff flowing out takes up all the attention, but there's another blue truck in the background. Lol

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

New tactics just dropped. Looks like the BTG is a thing of the past.

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1630602411369701378?t=rYmVq_U-EOGjs5xrxgsmBg&s=19

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Tuna-Fish posted:

The interesting part is how are they guiding them? Stock UJ-22:s are flown by a remote operator over a link that certainly won't cover the distance of 500km from the border, which is where this crashed. Are they replacing that with autonomous (presumably GPS-based) guidance? Starlink? An iridium satphone?

I've wondered the same. How well could you manage with just a LTE modem or cell phone and a Russian SIM card?

M_Gargantua posted:

Those look too clean to come from ground.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ASAPI posted:

I usually only see barbed wire on fences, both agriculture and security.

When you start talking about laying multiple layers of concertina/razor wire and/or barbed wire, it just becomes a matter of how much you want to screw with people. The more garbage in your way, the longer it takes to clear/traverse. The barriers can be defeated, but it takes time and energy, often while being shot at.

With the way modern wire is set up (both shredding flesh and wrapping itself around axles) the only reason to add additional stands or barbed wire is to be a general dick and provide longer delays.

I was in 3rd shop maintenance companies, and if we were ever to deploy to the field, we'd expect to be in one place for weeks or even months. As a result we practiced setting up the triple stack of concertina with barbed wire string across. It made more sense for us since it's hard to pull heavy vehicle maintenance on the move. Even if it was a huge pain in the rear end to pack all that crap up and put it back in the pallets/reels it came off of.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tuna-Fish posted:

You could probably use an IPhone or similar and just rely on hitting enough cell coverage frequently enough to provide gross course correction until you get close enough and then take fine control with a VTC when you are near the target. Which since the target is a major airbase probably has great coverage.

BRB, gonna go write an app.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Our favourite source of ruzzian cope and funnies on twitter, Geroman ate a ban and had to make a new account. If you've been blocked like yours truly, this is your chance to effortlessly get back to the lols

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Saukkis posted:

I've wondered the same. How well could you manage with just a LTE modem or cell phone and a Russian SIM card?.

That depends on what version of The Sims you're using.

If you're going after a big enough static target you probably could just use a basic GPS unit and relatively detailed maps

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Hypothetically, if you were extemporizing a barrier and wanting to use an existing agricultural fence as a base to secure razor tape to, maybe?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Potrzebie posted:

I know Kenneth Gregg is working on financing an independent anti-corruption entity.

That's kind of funny, because he's a serial fraudster.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Karma Comedian posted:

New tactics just dropped. Looks like the BTG is a thing of the past.

Another (mostly lurking) Finn checking in, arty officer 122/152 howitzers

This new idea looks good on paper and improvement to current BTG tactics, nyt
- do they really have the equipment?
- doesn't the assault die down after few casualties with so few guys?
- isn't consolidating MBT's into larger formations a best practice since like 1940?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

Apparently there is a NATO standard BTO-22 that governs the specifications for razor wire. First I'd heard of it, but the existence of that standard doesn't surprise me.

Edit: I'm not sure if that's a NATO or manufacturers' specification, as there are different numerical designations of the stuff.

Set posted:

The new fancy stretchers were also known as NATO-stretchers back in my time. I just took it to mean "new and NATO standard", rather than made from wood basically.

Yeah It appears you can literally buy "BTO-22 NATO barbed wire" from a hardware store. So some specific standard with the naming attatched and not just military nomenclature.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

bad_fmr posted:

Yeah It appears you can literally buy "BTO-22 NATO barbed wire" from a hardware store. So some specific standard with the naming attatched and not just military nomenclature.

It has civilian usage. I'm not sure if it was that specific type but in the lower end apartments in Dallas you'd sometimes see concertina wire strung atop a cinderblock wall around the apartments (including the one I lived in). It added a nice favela-punk atmosphere to living directly next to the giant HVAC machine blowing 8 months of the year.

I'm in south texas and there's been mumbling from the people owning microranches about stringing it up places to deter migrants that are cutting holes in traditional barbed wire (which i still the standard for encircling land still) on their way through.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 28, 2023

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011

bad_fmr posted:

Pretty much everything the FDF changed to match NATO standards were called Nato-something. Like the Nato-alphabets or the Nato-symbols , which, at least according to every instructor teaching them, were badly designed and clearly inferioir to the old finnish ones.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/neilphauer/status/1630639482775977984

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BobHoward posted:

The sequence truly did reset to F-1 with the introduction of the tri-service designation system. It has been mostly sequential since. You probably just haven't heard much about F-1 through F-12 because many had short service lives and were scrapped before most of us were born. Some were very big deals though, most notably the F-4 Phantom II (still in service in some parts of the world today!).

and the F-5, which was reverse-engineered and copied by the Soviets as the MiG-28 in the mid-80s :v:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I feel like I comment in this thread too much, but I wanted to make to tell our recent GBS 'Refugees' thanks.
You guys are bringing some new info and perspectives, and I really appreciate it. Particularly you fine folks that are translating non-English sources.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

and the F-5, which was reverse-engineered and copied by the Soviets as the MiG-28 in the mid-80s :v:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Still wish this had won.

I know why it didn't and still don't care.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Carth Dookie posted:

Still wish this had won.

I know why it didn't and still don't care.

air shows would have to play 'Baby Elephant Walk' instead of 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' for the flyby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

air shows would have to play 'Baby Elephant Walk' instead of 'Rock You Like a Hurricane' for the flyby

And this is a knock against??