Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

At least it's still possible to buy cheap housing stock in the middle of an ecological disaster zone. Think of the passive income opportunities!

Edit: Love the 25-year-old hot water tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1630345147652141056?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

False

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
That would be pretty shocking tho

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

that whole article is complete bullshit.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Feb 28, 2023

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
oh nice the rental unit supply is growing by 15 percent! oh wait what are the new unit rates starting at?

newly built apartments near me start at $1800 a month. median income in the county is $34000.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Feb 28, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

At least it's still possible to buy cheap housing stock in the middle of an ecological disaster zone. Think of the passive income opportunities!

Edit: Love the 25-year-old hot water tank.

To be fair, a new hot water tank is like $800. Shame about everything else though

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Radirot posted:

oh nice the rental unit supply is growing by 15 percent! oh wait what are the new unit rates starting at?

newly built apartments near me start at $1800 a month. median income in the county is $34000.

where I live, they are building "luxury" apartments like crazy. it's a company town and the company pays very well (world's best hospital). the people that work there say if it wasn't for these new apartments, they would be driving up the prices in the poorer side of town. but they also say that the increased supply in rental units will drive down the average rent. still waiting on that magic moment to happen lol.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

where I live, they are building "luxury" apartments like crazy. it's a company town and the company pays very well (world's best hospital). the people that work there say if it wasn't for these new apartments, they would be driving up the prices in the poorer side of town. but they also say that the increased supply in rental units will drive down the average rent. still waiting on that magic moment to happen lol.

i assume this is rochester (mn)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I find it fascinating how many people think that new construction will for some reason be less expensive than existing stock (holding other variables like square feet constant).

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

quote:

"A lot of people talk about, 'Well, rents have hit a ceiling. There's only so much people are willing to pay,'" said Jon Leckie, a researcher for Rent, a platform that helps landlords market their properties. "The way I look at it is we've set a new floor."

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rent will never go down. "Willingness to pay," like it's a cheeseburger or a movie ticket.

Apr 7, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I find it fascinating how many people think that new construction will for some reason be less expensive than existing stock (holding other variables like square feet constant).

If Blackrock can get $4K+ a month for lovely apartments built immediately after WW2 and long since amortized, why would they ever charge less for new construction? lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

won't hochul think of this house and its owners!

https://twitter.com/RezaC1/status/1630575800859721728

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

i assume this is rochester (mn)

:wink:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Not sure what response they expect but this is the only one they deserve:

:thermidor:

Apr 7, 2003

"I bought an expensive house and thus I get to tell other people where they can live"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ideally they'd knock down the Catholic school right behind it to put in the apartments and then adjust the property taxes back up to the $45k they should be paying.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/72-Circle-Ln-Roslyn-Heights-NY-11577/31088541_zpid/

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I am outraged.

Outraged that this kind of SFH was allowed so close to a train station.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Joementum posted:

Ideally they'd knock down the Catholic school right behind it to put in the apartments and then adjust the property taxes back up to the $45k they should be paying.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/72-Circle-Ln-Roslyn-Heights-NY-11577/31088541_zpid/

Just use eminent domain to seize their house, and do the same thing to any NIMBY who objects to denser housing. Suddenly they're not local voters any more and there's another parcel to turn into a park or combine with other parcels for more dense housing or something.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

The Situation looking mf

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"I bought an expensive house and thus I get to tell other people where they can live"

All investments are subject to risk, bitch. Not sure why landlords and people who buy homes as investments think they are immune to this but it feels very good to remind them of that fact.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CongoJack posted:

All investments are subject to risk, bitch. Not sure why landlords and people who buy homes as investments think they are immune to this but it feels very good to remind them of that fact.

Because investments are actually risk-free if you're rich.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Paradoxish posted:

Because investments are actually risk-free if you're rich.

lol if I hear someone complain then they aren’t capital R rich enough and thus can eat poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

Went to see this place today. The most boring anodyne split level imaginable

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/M3546070395

$335K

ahahahahhahhaah

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Every time you post one of these houses I'm amazed at how cheap housing was in Pittsburgh a decade ago.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nice house but the yard isn’t so great

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

nice house but the yard isn’t so great

The house sucks and the yard is falling down the hillside

btw Dan Onorato used to own that house lol

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Every time you post one of these houses I'm amazed at how cheap housing was in Pittsburgh a decade ago.

It wasn't cheap, it was what housing should cost. A century old 1400 square foot house should cost what a normal working family can pay.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It wasn't cheap, it was what housing should cost. A century old 1400 square foot house should cost what a normal working family can pay.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but that same house would been going for easily 250-300k around here in the 2010s

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but that same house would been going for easily 250-300k around here in the 2010s

My house was $120K in 2015. I don't think I'd have even gotten a bid on it, in today's environment.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/02/26/lawsuits-town-halls-and-a-hunger-strike-landlords-push-to-end-eviction-moratorium/

quote:

Jingyu Wu, an owner of a triplex in San Leandro, planned to go on a hunger strike Sunday morning outside the Alameda County Administration Building in Oakland to protest the eviction restrictions, which he said have left him teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

Just before the pandemic hit, Wu agreed to rent one of the units to a woman with young children who was in desperate need of a home. Since then, the family has accumulated over $120,000 in rent debt as the moratorium has continued, he said. A first-generation immigrant who arrived in the U.S. from China in 2016, Wu is doing the maintenance work at the property himself to save money.

Until officials lift the ban, Wu, who is in his 50s, said he’s prepared to carry on his protest for “at least one or two months, until I die.”

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://sfstandard.com/housing-development/bay-area-landlord-goes-on-hunger-strike-over-eviction-ban/

quote:

An Alameda County landlord began a hunger strike on Sunday to protest an ongoing eviction ban that he says has pushed him to the brink of bankruptcy.

owned, this guy should get a job

Apr 7, 2003

I hope he starves to death.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

keep it up, guy!! you can do it!! you're like motherfuckin Gandhi!

Apr 7, 2003

A bog-standard split-level, the most boring form of standalone housing imaginable

lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Inadvertently betraying that he has no actual work to do all day

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A bog-standard split-level, the most boring form of standalone housing imaginable

lol

AFFORDABLE

Apr 7, 2003

The back yard is subsiding down the hillside but they hid that in the pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

serious deja vu on this page