Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Well I got my committee assignment, so if LIV is still around, I'll be volunteering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Something has clicked for real in my back yard twilight sessions. As I've started to use my lower body better, I always felt like I was crowding the ball and I would get these annoyingly consistent nasty sounding hits a lot like a skulled cut. Lo and behold, I was still doing the muscling the club at impact bit from so many years of going over the top. I finally, for what feels like the first time ever, kept both arms straight at impact and proceeded to wear a dime on my 5 iron :stonk: I hit balls till past dark and I'm gonna have to go find all of them before I go to work in the morning, but holy poo poo.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
LIV is a joke at best, and it took half a season for one of the players to come clean about why they signed. They gave so many bullshit reasons - more time off or better events or stronger fields, and everybody knew from the jump that it was only about money. The source of the money is the real issue. It's an especially tough look for Americans who were alive during 9/11.

All that being said, if somebody is going to the LIV event, I absolutely must have that ridiculous Season 1 Smash GC logo that looks like a fart.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Do we even know that all of them got all the cash up front? They seem to have a lot of ongoing promotional requirements, etc as well. I wouldn't be surprised if explosive chips were implanted in all their mee-maws to keep the players in line.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Farking Bastage posted:

Saudi blood money mainly.

Saudi blood money, the playing format (shotgun start, no cut, 54 holes), and the fact that with the exception of Cam Smith, all the players are either past their prime, lost their edge due to injuries, or were not-top-tier talent to start with.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

So forgive my ignorance (I kind of dropped golf when covid hit) but what changed with regards to LIV? I thought a lot of posters here loved the idea of a competing league and that they were way ahead of the PGA in terms of streaming and technology.
I don’t think anyone here was really supporting LIV. There’s a vocal minority on Twitter and Facebook, however.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

As it becomes more clear through lawsuit discovery, etc. that the PIF is the owning and controlling entity and Greg Norman and all the management structure is just a sham, they'll keep taking the blows. It's hard to say where things go from here.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

First 9 holes after a different ADHD treatment. 6 pars 3 bogeys and a lot of fun. I'm actually able to enjoy golf again!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Played a nine-hole par 3 today and made par on four holes, with a few good one-putts. Way exceeded my expectations.

I wish I could drive farther than 180 yards(when it's not in the woods completely), so aside from practicing smooth swings without tension I'm looking at exercises I could do.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 26, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/jnucci23/status/1629547910047178752?s=46&t=MKrv4cpUj9WMdfqCaOTM1g

Hilarious and fitting for so many golfers who went to LIV because the pressure of the Tour was just too much.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Honda classic finish is amazing lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1629895774870855680?s=20

Lmfaooooo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/JoelMBeall/status/1629912935295320066

That said, I think 0.2 is about the rating of an LPGA tournament on Golf Channel.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Furnaceface posted:

So forgive my ignorance (I kind of dropped golf when covid hit) but what changed with regards to LIV? I thought a lot of posters here loved the idea of a competing league and that they were way ahead of the PGA in terms of streaming and technology.

The idea of it is good (streaming, easy access to a younger audience, etc, etc) but the product they made with it is loving awful.

Also Saudi sportswashing stuff.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
just rename it Trump Golf Tour

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Josh Lyman posted:

https://twitter.com/JoelMBeall/status/1629912935295320066

That said, I think 0.2 is about the rating of an LPGA tournament on Golf Channel.

Worlds Dumbest Sharks

Imagine coming up with an exhibition tour and then only getting the shittiest players and hosting it at second rate venues

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
https://twitter.com/JNucci23/status/1629547944411111424?s=20

This one seems wild. Prior sponsors?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I haven't played in a couple of weeks and I'm starting to get antsy. I should really get a good home simulator.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Wife & I played Saturday. Winds steady at 40 mph with gusts up to 70. A nearby town had a wind gust of 117 that day. As we’re pulling cart out of the garage, we’re like, ‘we’ll just play nine.’ We turned around at the #5 tee box & drove home.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/1630585244716789761

Awful Announcing posted:

Of course, some of that is about carriage. The eight CBS-owned CW affiliates all chose not to air LIV Golf this weekend, as did several other affiliates. So with markets including Chicago, Philadelphia, and Atlanta not airing the event, that’s a lot of potential viewers lost. But even with that in mind, the viewership numbers here follow the pattern set by those low overnights, and they’re certainly not promising for LIV Golf. They’re below most of the sports that aired anywhere this weekend, including Golf Channel early-day Honda Classic coverage Saturday and Sunday (555,000 and 631,000 viewers respectively), two XFL games, five different women’s college basketball games (and 32 men’s college basketball games), and every soccer match except a Friday Premier League one. So that’s not exactly a great result for them.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Just found out one of my favorite local courses is being restored. 36 holes of Donald Ross golf at a municipal course. It was built in a floodplain and went probably 30 years without any kind of maintenance. I can’t wait to see what they’ve done with it.

https://www.pressandguide.com/2023/01/24/progress-continues-at-warren-valley-golf-course-in-dearborn-heights-as-spring-approaches/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Just found out one of my favorite local courses is being restored. 36 holes of Donald Ross golf at a municipal course. It was built in a floodplain and went probably 30 years without any kind of maintenance. I can’t wait to see what they’ve done with it.

https://www.pressandguide.com/2023/01/24/progress-continues-at-warren-valley-golf-course-in-dearborn-heights-as-spring-approaches/

oh poo poo Dearborn Heights? I'll have to get up there when it's done.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

DJExile posted:

You let me know when!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Good read on the (significant) changes coming to the tour next year. Don’t love everything but by and large think it’s the right direction.

https://twitter.com/eamonlynch/status/1630945619694047233?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I don't really know why the "no cuts" is necessary but as a golf watcher I'm very keen on the smaller fields. While not every tournament can be a major this is a way of making it clear which are really worth tuning into.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I do wish they cut at least some. I wonder if this was like a requirement of a lot of the sponsors in order to agree to these huge changes.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I don't see the part where the hole is made 1" larger, rounds cut down to 12 holes with a 15 second shot clock. :colbert:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Shotgun start but everyone starts on the same hole. You get free strokes if you knock another players ball out of the air.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
Started working as a caddie at a local club when I was like 12-13 and eventually worked my way into the pro-shop.
One of the drills the pro would use was 'the hula hoop drill'. It helps with shot alignment (mostly slices).
If you all know this one then feel free to ignore. If you're newish to golf and don't know what it is, you duct tape a hula hoop to a club and practice your rotation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pDQKHgU4Z4 This is TERRIBLE quality on the video but illustrates what it is

BigBeefCity fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 2, 2023

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

DJExile posted:

I moved out to ypsi, but i'm always down to play somewhere in southeast michigan.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I was watching a Shell Wonderful World of Golf with Snead and Nicklaus at Pebble Beach in 1963 and the course looks a tiny bit ragged (in a good way, really) and those greens are running about 5 and are really bumpy. All their chips from the fringe are always pitching wedge or even 8 irons. To no surprise, Nicklaus is an absolute bomber and Snead has a dirty old man game making pars from awful places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMnrQYyxOho

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
I remember watching golf with my grandpa (who was crazed for it) and playing cribbage at the same time and that footage made me think of the first time he took me on a course, just the nicest turf and conditions I'd ever seen :)
he was fanatical about it and took me golfing for the first time when I was pretty young (9 maybe) and we were in WI but I couldn't believe how NICE the turf on the course was, I'd never seen anything like it...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Keyser_Soze posted:

I was watching a Shell Wonderful World of Golf with Snead and Nicklaus at Pebble Beach in 1963 and the course looks a tiny bit ragged (in a good way, really) and those greens are running about 5 and are really bumpy. All their chips from the fringe are always pitching wedge or even 8 irons. To no surprise, Nicklaus is an absolute bomber and Snead has a dirty old man game making pars from awful places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMnrQYyxOho

That's how I learned to play, bump and run with a 7 iron, nothing more lofted than my PW at like 47*. The clinic I attended with Nicklaus in the early 80s was formative for me, taught me how to hit off of odd slopes. I still suck but it was amazing.

Now with my modern iron set I'm still getting used to my sand and lob wedges. Its kind of fun to see what stupid poo poo I can do with them though

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
open your swing and the face?

e: with modern stuff 'keep it closed and let it open up"?
ee: I was thinking of playing off the side of a steep bunker

BigBeefCity fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 2, 2023

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Rahm -3 through 3 holes :stare:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

My old rear end Cleveland carry bag was getting heavy as hell on my home course in addition to rattling like a skeleton jacking off into a washpan full of metal spoons with every step. I paid like 100 bucks for that thing off some slickdeals poo poo (think 2007 wish) way back when. My club has some very nice ping hoofers for ~$220 that I was considering. My buddy let me borrow one of his and drat it's nice. Comfy straps and quiet...so quiet.

I really got some nice stuff in there nowadays. Feels good :) I'm starting to find more and more GiR's y'all. The first hole at my course is a nasty bastard. Dogleg right roller coaster with a nastier green. I nutted an 8-iron from 135 yards+25 feet of uphill and got it close to a tucked top tier location.

If you run it more than 2-3 feet past that hole location, it will end up off the front of the green. I GRACIOUSLY walked away with a tap in par :toot:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rahm is a monster

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

:toot:

Finally replacing my F9 I bought off the shelf years ago with something fit to me. Fitter quote: “I don’t get many requests for extra slicey drivers”

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Rahm shot a 76 WHAT?! wow