Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Moonlight is so great. Nvidia ready to kill Gamestream sucks.

If anyone has tips, use decky recorder to show us.
I recommend the discord though

Barreft fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Started back in on Path of Exile on my deck and it plays really well. The controller support they added controls nicely for me so far.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

kdrudy posted:

Started back in on Path of Exile on my deck and it plays really well. The controller support they added controls nicely for me so far.

Unfortunately it’s path of exile

Here’s a good Deck game: Terraria. Turns out the controller support is p dang great

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
path of exile rules??? . . . ?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Help me I haven’t stopped playing peglin for months and I’m stuck on the last 4 steps of the cruciball and it’s so hard now

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Maybe I should get back to developing this game, it feels rad to play something you had a hand in making on the Deck.
Thanks for the heads-up on Decky Recorder, worked like a treat.

Played a hour and a half of The Last Epoch on the weekend, free closed beta.
Unfortunately the performance was inconsistent - I limited it to 40 in-game and had drops to around 30, but that was in the very early game and I'm guessing that it gets much wilder later on considering it's an ARPG.
Controller support wasn't quite all there too, had to tap on the screen to interact with some stuff in the environment like waypoints or bridge-lowering-thingamajigs (it's possible I was just missing the right button to press)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I'm just surprised how impressed everyone is about being able to record videos that no one is gonna watch.

the switch direct to tweet thing is definitely the most badass imgur style video uploading. if this decky thing had something similiar it'd be bad rear end

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Angryhead posted:

Maybe I should get back to developing this game, it feels rad to play something you had a hand in making on the Deck.

Please do! I wanna play it.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Please do! I wanna play it.
That same demo build is available free on itch.io but I'll definitely ping this thread if we do get around to updating it a bit.
That version doesn't quite fit well with 1280x800 resolution and controller support is a bit half-assed, so I buyer tryer beware.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a list somewhere of what emulated ps3 games work well on deck? I might be on a quest to have every Katamari game playable on one device

Considering the newest iteration is on steam and the older ones are either PS2/PSP/Vita, the only potential outlier is the PS3 one.

E: forgot about the 360 version. Dammit!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a list somewhere of what emulated ps3 games work well on deck? I might be on a quest to have every Katamari game playable on one device

Considering the newest iteration is on steam and the older ones are either PS2/PSP/Vita, the only potential outlier is the PS3 one.

There's only two Katamari games.

We Love Katamari Reroll+ Royale Reverie is getting a Remake in June.

It and Katamari Damacy is all there is; you cannot change my mind on it

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 28, 2023

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
I'm probably going to be buying myself a deck soon and am debating between the mid-tier and premium models. How much difference does the etched glass make on the premium model? I'll primarily be using the deck on the couch, but will probably be taking it traveling for gaming during layovers or whatever. Does the etched glass make the screen easier to see in brighter environments?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I put a screen protector over mine because I'm 9000% certain I would scratch it like an idiot, so getting the etched glass screen seemed like a bone-head move.

With a (normal) screen protector, the Deck's screen has no noticeable issues and I play on my roof sometimes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Finally got around to installing Decky last night. Having SteamDB Art available in Game Mode is a godsend. The only other plug-in I've tried out is the screen color one as well. I'm still only scratching the surface of stuff since just playing my Steam games itself is enough that I haven't had to go too far out of the box.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can't really speak to too many games, but the MGS HD Collection worked near-perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hnhis6FM5s&t=81s

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

anchorite posted:

Does the etched glass make the screen easier to see in brighter environments?

100%

I take my deck out of the house all the time so it was definitely worth it for me.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Spent an hour last night updating steam covers on games I’ll never play

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

anchorite posted:

I'm probably going to be buying myself a deck soon and am debating between the mid-tier and premium models. How much difference does the etched glass make on the premium model? I'll primarily be using the deck on the couch, but will probably be taking it traveling for gaming during layovers or whatever. Does the etched glass make the screen easier to see in brighter environments?

They also make matte screen protectors if you want the matte finish on a 64GB or 256GB model.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

SilkyP posted:

Spent an hour last night updating steam covers on games I’ll never play

The real game

For people who enjoy organizing and tweaking and tinkering this thing may as well be a Fleshlight

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 28, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The real game is seeing how many isos for retro games you’ll never play you can fit on your sd card with compression

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Squiggle posted:

The real game

For people who enjoy organizing and tweaking and tinkering this thing may as well be a Fleshlight

What

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

It really works your junk, Quantum of Phallus

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Necrothatcher posted:

Can't really speak to too many games, but the MGS HD Collection worked near-perfectly.

Huh, I was under the impression that it was nearly impossible to emulate MGS3. If it's working on the PS3 emulator then that just shot up my list.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MGS4 used to be the emulation problem child but PS3 emulation has come a long way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I haven't been keeping up with Switch emulation since I started Death Stranding, does Xenoblade 3 work yet or is it still a clusterfuck

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

The real game is seeing how many isos for retro games you’ll never play you can fit on your sd card with compression

The switch has actual, official gba emulation now and I think I played like an hour, went “cool” then promptly went back to games that came out in the last 5 years

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Ok, is this the definitive way (so far) to play these titles? I'm STILL kicking myself for selling the MGS HD collection.

I could play through these games with perfect emulation and if the very next day, they were released on Steam, I'd buy them right then and there.

MGS 3 is, as far as I'm concerned, the GOAT. Peace Walker, what I played, seemed really, really great.

Sort of rrlated, if I love those games, how well does MGSV hold up? I have that intro/prequel thing (I don't remember exactly how 5 was released, sorry), but I haven't tried it yet.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MGSV is one of the most fun games ever made.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Do you love MGS3 as much as I do (which is a gently caress ton)? This is important.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Do you love MGS3 as much as I do (which is a gently caress ton)? This is important.

I'm pretty sure I do and I concur with their view on MGSV. The plot is half baked but it plays gloriously.

What have people who've emulated the MGS HD collection done with controls for the pressure sensitive buttons? When I emulated the PS2 versions I tried changing those to triggers but didn't tinker enough with half / full pulls to get it working right.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It is insane and wonderful. I’ve bought it at least twice and if it’s on steam I’ll probably buy it again

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Party Boat posted:

What have people who've emulated the MGS HD collection done with controls for the pressure sensitive buttons? When I emulated the PS2 versions I tried changing those to triggers but didn't tinker enough with half / full pulls to get it working right.

I’m interested in this as well for ps2. I was trying to play Psi-Ops and ran into an issue with L1 needing to be pressure sensitive. I ran the Xbox version and it has the buttons swapped so it controlled fine but I couldn’t get any of the fmvs to show up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Harlock posted:

MGS4 used to be the emulation problem child but PS3 emulation has come a long way.

The Deck can even make a decent stab at MGS4, though it's not perfect. Maybe in a year or so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNk_cSGFw3Y

Edit: I think there's a way to map the Deck's back buttons to be .50 and .25 pressure PS2 buttons but I haven't tried it myself.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 28, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Consummate Professional posted:

It is insane and wonderful. I’ve bought it at least twice and if it’s on steam I’ll probably buy it again

It was like $7 last week. I bought it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone have any pro tips for applying a skin?

I'm serious tempted by the Gundam Edition skin, but I don't want to waste $30 by loving it up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Annath posted:

Anyone have any pro tips for applying a skin?

I'm serious tempted by the Gundam Edition skin, but I don't want to waste $30 by loving it up.

use a hair dryer
go slow
expect to have to lift up the curved areas you're trying to apply to do them over and over again
using your thumb to smooth out the areas can end up over stretching the curved areas very easily causing more ripples you can't fix and you'll probably have to use an exacto knife to make a cut in the vinyl to fix it (or deal with the ridges). this is less likely to happen the thicker the vinyl (dbrand white skins are quite thin)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I'm pretty sure I do and I concur with their view on MGSV. The plot is half baked but it plays gloriously.

Like... Not AS ridiculous as other games? Because buddy... a straightforward MGS plot is not something I'm used to or expecting.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Like... Not AS ridiculous as other games? Because buddy... a straightforward MGS plot is not something I'm used to or expecting.

It's not "half-baked" as in "this is wacky/crazy." It's more like "this suddenly gets strange and then abruptly ends." The story-telling gets a little disjointed and then it just - and I can't really think of another way to put this - suddenly falls apart. There's like a whole piece missing, and they just slapped a bookend on it instead of finishing the game.

Which sucks, because yeah - the gameplay itself is so loving good that it's worth playing as long as you know going in " at some point this plot is going to go quiet, pick up a bit, then just abruptly stop."

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 28, 2023

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
It could have been the greatest game ever but the villainous Konami stepped in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Party Boat posted:

If I remember correctly the HD remasters don't have pressure sensitive buttons. Even though the PS3 still had pressure sensitive buttons I wanna say they took them out because of the Xbox 360 version.