Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Would you like to know more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I would like to kill more (JRPGs)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tim Rogers was Always Good

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s some but it’s clearly a character action game above all else, I don’t think anyone except the “Souls games are JRPGs!” fringe lunatics are gonna be arguing otherwise

Also it looks sick

Gonna have to elaborate dude lol, cos theres numbers and spells and lvls and stat lvls and levelup and summons and big bosses and menus and items and two party members. The only difference i can see is not controlling party members and the combat being quicker and devilish. Made me cry, in a good way.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BisterdDave posted:

I haven't played since release window, but they added new areas to the game via patches?!?

Datamining, patches have been prepping by adding dungeon ids and stuff in the files and people take note. Also they added the pvp arena via patch which has diff ids, so yeah.

Also they added raytracing menu links but not actual raytracing, yet.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the written reviews i remember being far more deliberately provocative. i think he chilled out a bit as he got older, as many of us do

Yeah people would always get real upset about his reviews back then. Especially when he would poo poo on something a lot of people liked in a very pretentious way, but then double down and give Gears of War a perfect score lol.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if people mean "turn-based RPGs" when they say JRPG why not just say "turn-based RPGs"

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Augus posted:

if people mean "turn-based RPGs" when they say JRPG why not just say "turn-based RPGs"

There's a big difference between the Japanese style turn based and the dungeons and dragons style of turn based.

I'm 10 hours in to tales of arise, it's my first tales game, and it's super dope. The writing is surprisingly good for a character action style real time jrpg. A casjrpg

I am so pumped for ff16. I skimmed a few previews and that was enough, I am all in.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the majority of JRPGs, at least in major series aren't really pure turn-based anymore. like there's SMT and DQ, the latter of which is deliberately old school.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The distinction I make for RPGs is how much the numbers matter vs how much the movement matters. Something like say Xenoblade is an RPG because moving barely matters at all, but Dark Souls is more of an action game with RPG aspects since it's way more about how the player interacts with the enemy.

Now when it comes to the J aspect, ultimately that's probably more of a vibe than any set of traits you could come up with.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

persona 5 was not a JRPG until the expansion, where fishing was added. big mistake from the original release

Fishing was absolutely in Persona 5 vanilla, look at this idiot who just admitted he never found it

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Souls games are RPGs… made in Japan….

Insane to think they are Japanese RPGs imo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

Fishing was absolutely in Persona 5 vanilla, look at this idiot who just admitted he never found it

where was it, i thought the fishing area was added in royal....

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's totally fair, IMO, for a Japanese person largely making RPGs to go "we don't really use or like the term JRPG here, we feel like there is, or at least was, a stigma behind making that distinction."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

where was it, i thought the fishing area was added in royal....

Same place

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kzin602 posted:

I beat Jett: the far shore and am taking a break before picking up the Given Time expansion. If anyone else has played it, does it answer any questions about the *gestures at everything*

A bit? It has some lore exposition sections that I felt clarified things about the planet’s history, but that might have been me forgetting things since launch

In general it is a massive improvement over the base gameplay-wise

It also had an ending, rather than all the characters deciding to just stop doing stuff all of a sudden

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

It's totally fair, IMO, for a Japanese person largely making RPGs to go "we don't really use or like the term JRPG here, we feel like there is, or at least was, a stigma behind making that distinction."

oh yeah but like, the term's gonna be used still, in english anyway. just kind of how genre names work

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everyone knows a JRPG when they see one and even the "Duhhh, Dark Souls is a JRPG" crowd 100% know it's not.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its like calling Zelda a JRPG

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Its like calling Zelda a JRPG

zelda 2 is....

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It was funny when jeremy parish's Z2 video pointed out that there's a fair chance it was trying to ride DQs coattails with its overworld style and encounters

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

A bit? It has some lore exposition sections that I felt clarified things about the planet’s history, but that might have been me forgetting things since launch

In general it is a massive improvement over the base gameplay-wise

It also had an ending, rather than all the characters deciding to just stop doing stuff all of a sudden

Getting dropped out of boost mode into hover to have something explained to me did get obnoxious and I've read the expansion has much less of that.

One thing I did grow to appreciate was the fact that your crew of npcs seemed to be competent professional astronauts that put drama aside to get the job done.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
best rpgs are UKRPGS

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Motto posted:

It was funny when jeremy parish's Z2 video pointed out that there's a fair chance it was trying to ride DQs coattails with its overworld style and encounters

Z2?

Oh, right, Zelda 2

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

Everyone knows a JRPG when they see one and even the "Duhhh, Dark Souls is a JRPG" crowd 100% know it's not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I mean not really. Nobody objected to calling King's Field a JRPG until people got weird about Dark Souls. Atlus marketed Demon's Souls as an RPG and even mentioned it beong inspired by Berserk.

'Dark Souls doesn't count' is 100% the same thing YoshiP was talking about. If you like it it can't be a JRPG because JRPG = bad

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Bloodborne is a JRPG. It has the same start as just about every Pokemon game.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

'Dark Souls doesn't count' is 100% the same thing YoshiP was talking about. If you like it it can't be a JRPG because JRPG = bad

That’s not what veni is saying at all, though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main reason not to call it a JRPG is that the souls games are influential enough to be their own subgenre. thank you.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

zelda 2 is....

:hmmyes:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

all the yakuza games, including dead souls, are jrpgs.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlV5fCFQ6XI

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdOfA0epbZI

Holy moly it looks so good

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 28, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I mean not really. Nobody objected to calling King's Field a JRPG until people got weird about Dark Souls. Atlus marketed Demon's Souls as an RPG and even mentioned it beong inspired by Berserk.

Nah that's BS. I don't like JRPGs, but it's not because I am scared to like them or be seen liking them. If I found a JRPG that landed with me I'd be very happy. It's just basic common sense game classification in the same way you wouldn't classify Skyrim in the same category as CRPGs like Baulders Gate or wasteland, even though they technically meet the criteria if you want to be pedantic about it. Game classifications exist so people can discuss and recommend games easier. Dark Souls has minimal in common with the average game that would be classified as a JRPG, so you are just making a genre classification useless by being overly nit picky about the meaning of it. If someone liked Chrono trigger and was looking for more games like Chrono trigger you would be dumb to just jump to Dark Souls because "well technically its also japanese and an RPG"

It's like people that get hung up on the definition of rougelike. The term isn't there to compare it to a computer game from 1980 at this point. It's used because when you say a game is a rougelike people will know what type of game you are talking about.

And you know how I know it's not a JRPG? Because no one actually refers to it as one unless it's being used as a smug talking point in an argument.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

BGrifter posted:

Bloodborne is a JRPG. It has the same start as just about every Pokemon game.

...a dirty old man sends a ten year old kid on a solo journey around the world so he can bang the kid's mom?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

goddamn these mfers set it to private just as i sit down to watch it on a giant screen. :negative:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheCenturion posted:

...a dirty old man sends a ten year old kid on a solo journey around the world so he can bang the kid's mom?

Yes, except the man and the mom are elder gods

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Shammypants posted:

Yea I mostly view JRPGs negatively because I hate turn based games, but a lot of modern JRPGs are good, like the final fantasies that got redone or FF15. There are still plenty of elements that define the JRPG genre that are straight up poo poo, like Gacha, or winning a battle but a cut scene makes you lose, or insane farming/grinding requirements, or creepy sexualized cutscenes, break systems, having your main character on a team being downed causing you to lose the entire fight, team combos with long rear end cutscenes for some reason, team grunting/emoting you can't turn off and on.

This is cringe

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Chrono Trigger: a game where you wake up in bed, say hi to your Mom, and go on an adventure.

Pokémon: a game where you wake up in bed, say hi to your Mom, and go on an adventure.

Bloodborne: a game where you wake up in bed, say hi to your Mom, and go on an adventure.

All true JRPGs involve waking up in the morning and saying goodbye to Mom before you go. The most wholesome genre. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Nah that's BS. I don't like JRPGs, but it's not because I am scared to like them or be seen liking them. If I found a JRPG that landed with me I'd be very happy. It's just basic common sense game classification in the same way you wouldn't classify Skyrim in the same category as CRPGs like Baulders Gate or wasteland, even though they technically meet the criteria if you want to be pedantic about it. Game classifications exist so people can discuss and recommend games easier. Dark Souls has minimal in common with the average game that would be classified as a JRPG, so you are just making a genre classification useless by being overly nit picky about the meaning of it. If someone liked Chrono trigger and was looking for more games like Chrono trigger you would be dumb to just jump to Dark Souls because "well technically its also japanese and an RPG"

It's like people that get hung up on the definition of rougelike. The term isn't there to compare it to a computer game from 1980 at this point. It's used because when you say a game is a rougelike people will know what type of game you are talking about.

And you know how I know it's not a JRPG? Because no one actually refers to it as one unless it's being used as a smug talking point in an argument.

nobody actually called any of these games jrpgs until that really racist period in the 2000's where everyone was declaring that america had finally defeated the japanese at making video games. it's only useful as a classification to immense weirdos