Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Adams now says he's been dropped by his non-Dilbert book publisher. Good riddance.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Zits is Marmaduke.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Larryb posted:

Has the artist behind Cthulhu and Girl done anything else notable in the past? Because this has been surprisingly good so far

Nothing that would be known outside Japan. As I understand it they have a fairly successful food manga that has been in magazines for almost a decade now?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Making the rounds on the internet today:

hell yeah

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tom the Dancing Bug 2/27/23

There's also an article on NPR this morning where other cartoonists, including Keith Knight, Hector Cantu, and Ward "Kelly" Sutton, ask what the hell took everyone so long to notice Adams was a piece of poo poo.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 28, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Selachian posted:

:golfclap:

And a painfully true quote in that NPR article from Keith Knight: "Cats have better representation on the comics page than people of color."

Endless Mike posted:

Adams now says he's been dropped by his non-Dilbert book publisher. Good riddance.

His upcoming book was going to be called Reframe Your Brain, which maybe he should try sometime.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 9, 1935)

Peanuts (March 2, 1976)

Miss Peach (August 15, 1989)

Crankshaft

The question came up in Discord that if Lillian was composing this on the laptop, and why would she need it to be on a piece of paper when the person she's handing it to is in the room with her and could just read if off of her screen. Either she's the type of tech skeptic who prints out all her emails, or Batiuk and Davis have "stares blankly at a piece of paper" so deeply baked into their panels-that-always-work memory that it didn't occur to them this might note entirely make sense to anal-retentive close-readers like me (or, let's face it, us).

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 29, 1939)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way, featuring one of those moments that feels uncomfortably lived-in. (March 10-12, 1941)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 28, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

I just can't get past this bozo being named after the inventor of the wrap sandwich.

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

The question came up in Discord that if Lillian was composing this on the laptop, and why would she need it to be on a piece of paper when the person she's handing it to is in the room with her and could just read if off of her screen. Either she's the type of tech skeptic who prints out all her emails, or Batiuk and Davis have "stares blankly at a piece of paper" so deeply baked into their panels-that-always-work memory that it didn't occur to them this might note entirely make sense to anal-retentive close-readers like me (or, let's face it, us).
The former implies that Batiuk puts thought into this, so the latter is probably correct.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: We learn a possible reason for Virgil's curtness re. Doree, or Campbell gets a shock, or The Cowboys ruminate...

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Selachian posted:

Man, he really nailed Adams on that one - the statements, the beliefs, the art style, the copypasta, the jokes in thought balloons, and the sarcastic dog. Just wow.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Selachian posted:

There's also an article on NPR this morning where other cartoonists, including Keith Knight, Hector Cantu, and Ward "Kelly" Sutton, ask what the hell took everyone so long to notice Adams was a piece of poo poo.

NPR posted:

After receiving widespread pushback for his offensive rant, Adams described himself as getting canceled. But cartoonists argue that he is simply being held accountable for his remarks.

Adams is absolutely trying to get an I Got Cancelled tour with the right wing media. Might be why he said that obviously cancel-able poo poo in the first place.

Luann

Gross.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

Lunch

Noor

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Luann is about as sheepish as she can be around boys until the plot determines that she has to be extremely confident to create conflict.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

Luann is about as sheepish as she can be around boys until the plot determines that she has to be extremely confident to create conflict.

the strip seems to be going through pon-farr or something right now so expect her to get more aggressive as time goes on

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Larryb posted:

Has the artist behind Cthulhu and Girl done anything else notable in the past? Because this has been surprisingly good so far
Yeah, his longest-running thing is a comic called "Wait, Kiritani, you're going to eat that?" Apparently it's about a high school girl gourmand on a quest to eat everything edible in Japan.

Uramachi Sakaba

Cthulhu and Girl

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I tell you what, folks - scram gravy ain't wavey!

the bus

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

here is a nice thread from georgia dunn that has a fun twist at the end if you click through

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaDunnBCN/status/1630694553186635776

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/30 - 4/1/50

Archie 8/29-31/46

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

kidcoelacanth posted:

here is a nice thread from georgia dunn that has a fun twist at the end if you click through

Dark and gritty is the future.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mandrake owns. :laffo:

I didn't realize how many legacy strips are in the papers other than Peanuts. I just assumed they were mostly the long running crop of lifers who are 25 years into 50 years of recycling jokes.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Hippocrass posted:

Dark and gritty is the future.

How is The Man going to get permission from the Flyers? https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-philadelphia-flyers-mascot-gritty-destroy-wells-fargo-center-rage-room-70929989594

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Does the bootleg merch stand still manifest outside music gigs? A good place to get a hoodie or tshirt where the sleeves fall off and the motif disintegrates on first wash. I’ve not been to a show at a university venue for years and those are where they seemed to have the most “purchase”.

Note that Alfie first appeared in Solver: Green Door

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 5, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BigglesSWE posted:

Luann is low key one of the hornier comics in this thread, it just doesn't have any real concept of eroticism or sex.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
This is my favorite The Bus. Flawless.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

kidcoelacanth posted:

The Girl wanting to take over BCN is adorable

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Luann is low key one of the hornier comics in this thread, it just doesn't have any real concept of eroticism or sex.

horny comics by someone who vaguely heard about sex exactly once

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I hope Dr Ed doesn't wind up being evil.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I love Jughead. He's just about the food, girl. He don't want nothing else.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I prefer it to the Gilchrist Nancy days though, ngl.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

horny comics by someone who vaguely heard about sex exactly once

Someone in a previous year's thread mentioned once that Luann is written by a father/daughter duo, so, interpret that as you will :stonk:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Aw, g'wan, you crazy kids. :3:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Someone in a previous year's thread mentioned once that Luann is written by a father/daughter duo, so, interpret that as you will :stonk:

I feel like Evans the Second ushered in this new era of horniness. I bet the argue about how horny things should be but neither of them know anything about it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Man, what are you doing here?

Letting The Water Hold Me Down

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i'm sorry what's the deal with the trans turtles again? i feel like i missed something

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mister Olympus posted:

i'm sorry what's the deal with the trans turtles again? i feel like i missed something

The girl is some sort of... groundhog? Burrowing prey critter. She found a turtle shell somehow and it saved her from being eaten by weasels. She decided she felt safer as a turtle, so she became a turtle. I don't remember exactly how the guy got suckered into it, but I'm sure you can fill in the broad beats.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mister Olympus posted:

George was born a gopher. Ophelia was born a stoat and has taken to identifying as a turtle because the shell, which she originally obtained in order to avoid death but made her feel comfortable and secure, so she now presents as a turtle. George has also decided to transition into being a turtle to make her feel more comfortable which is, a choice and also so confusing it probably isn't a metaphor but an on-its-face choice to just. Roll with. Also apparently the turtle community didn't know either of them existed but now they do, which is just making this so much weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wait, Ophelia was a stoat? I thought she was being hunted pre-transition