Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

War and Pieces posted:

is there a filter to make me loose 30 lbs?

If you're asking unironically there's dozens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
in Infinite Jest, everyone is creeped out by video calling technology because it means you have to look good to talk on the phone and it shatters the illusion that the person on the other end is giving you their full attention. So eventually, everyone just buys specialty pictures to put in front of their cameras of what they'd like to look like, so that the other person can have something nice to look at and both parties will be freed of the obligation to spend 100% of their attention on the call.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i hope sex turns into whatever that freaky VR poo poo from Demolition Man was

the worst part is the fluid transfer

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

in Infinite Jest, everyone is creeped out by video calling technology because it means you have to look good to talk on the phone and it shatters the illusion that the person on the other end is giving you their full attention. So eventually, everyone just buys specialty pictures to put in front of their cameras of what they'd like to look like, so that the other person can have something nice to look at and both parties will be freed of the obligation to spend 100% of their attention on the call.

i keep picking this book up and putting it down frustrated, but keep going back to it and thinking about poo poo, like the completely loving deranged weed deal mantra or hal's convo with his therapist

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
lmao if you can't recite Ian Malcolm quotes at will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PLvdmifDSk

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

uber_stoat posted:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

lmao the prices the dude throws out were probably outrageous in the 90's but that's like the going rates for a family at disney world these days

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

smarxist posted:

i keep picking this book up and putting it down frustrated, but keep going back to it and thinking about poo poo, like the completely loving deranged weed deal mantra or hal's convo with his therapist

Yeah it's got some good stuff in it, but I got about 300/400 pages in before I just couldn't force myself to give a poo poo about tennis anymore tho.

I really like the chapter where Hal's Grandpa/James's Dad is telling James about how the world of man is made of machines and that every machine is made for a purpose and must be respected and used with the intention of that purpose.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
naturally, the angle the tweeter takes with it is “Chinese psychological warfare”

https://twitter.com/memotv/status/1630198033819287554

smarxist posted:

Yeah it's got some good stuff in it, but I got about 300/400 pages in before I just couldn't force myself to give a poo poo about tennis anymore tho.

I only read it because I was a substitute teacher and they wouldn’t let us have phones, and then I got in trouble for using my phone anyway to look one of his bullshit words up.

It’s a good book, but they should’ve edited it more.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh, the thread title came back around.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

in the future there will be an filter that makes ur dick bigger

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Antonymous posted:

in the future there will be an filter that makes ur dick bigger

turn on ur microscope

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

rko posted:

naturally, the angle the tweeter takes with it is “Chinese psychological warfare”

https://twitter.com/memotv/status/1630198033819287554

I have doubts as to how much of this to believe, but assuming it's basically true lmao well done China.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

regulating their internet companies is an act of war. the ccp must pay

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Rochallor posted:

I have doubts as to how much of this to believe, but assuming it's basically true lmao well done China.

people used to write about this poo poo like it was totalitarian hell compared to freedom of expression and now we're being gaslit into thinking freedom of expression is for coddled pussies or something, all in the name of china bad

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rochallor posted:

It's pretty well known that tik tok is totally different in China. They simply don't understand the American concept of free speech (the right to flood the airwaves with insane lies, scams, and manipulative bullshit).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

uber_stoat posted:

this thread is just a brain melting parade of instances of that Jurassic Park quote.
It’s a Unix system! I know this!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shear Modulus posted:

didn't kal penn work for the obama white house as like a digital media youth engagement expert or something

he wouldn't be able to work for the Biden White House assuming he's smoked weed even once

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BRB, selling the first smartphone whose camera has uncorrected spherical aberration as a feature.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

study finds business school students regard Black robots as articulate, competent, and superior to Black people
Racial stereotypes vary in digital interactions

news.uga.edu posted:

Racial stereotypes were upended during a recent study that involved artificial intelligence. New research from the University of Georgia found that Black bots were considered more competent and more human than white or Asian bots used in the same study. This contrasts with past research on human-to-human interactions.

“We found that in the digital space, because Black AI is so unusual, stereotypes amplified in the opposite direction,” said researcher Nicole Davis, a third-year doctoral student in UGA’s Terry College of Business. “The Black bots were not just seen as competent, but really competent — more competent than the white or Asian bots.”

Understanding how racial stereotypes interact with artificial intelligence is an important step toward the ethical use of AI, Davis said. As AI and bots grow in popularity, businesses must understand these nuances to not only support their bottom line, but also to navigate decreasing racial bias.

The study looked at perceptions of competence and humanness. These are important factors in the digital space, Davis said, as they can influence how a customer feels and experiences a business.

To gauge preexisting opinions, participants were asked about common stereotypes for white, Black and Asian racial groups. Many responses aligned with past research: Black people were perceived as less competent than white people, and Asian people were seen as most competent, Davis said.

Afterward, participants were randomly assigned a bot that appeared white, Black or Asian and then negotiated with the bot to reduce the cost of a vacation rental. They could end negotiations at any time, and afterward, they were asked about the bot’s competence, warmth and humanness.

“Regardless of how the participants identified or which bot they interacted with, we still found that Black people were generally perceived as less competent than white or Asian people,” Davis said. “But then when we asked about the bot, we saw perceptions change. Even if they said, ‘Yes, I feel like Black people are less competent,’ they also said, ‘Yes, I feel like the Black AI was more competent.’”

The reason for this difference, Davis said, is known as expectation violation theory. This theory proposes that if expectations are low — due to something like stereotypes — but the experience is positive, then people reflect on their experience as overwhelmingly positive.

“Participants think, ‘Oh, wow, not only is there a Black bot in the digital space, but they actually did really well,’” Davis said. “Their expectations are exceeded, and their positive responses are amplified. And that’s why we find that the Black bots are perceived to be higher in competence and more human than the white or Asian bots.”

These findings are one indicator that stereotypes that are applied in human interactions may function differently in digital spaces, Davis said.

“This is very important as marketers design highly dynamic, anthropomorphic bots to serve as a front door to their firm or business,” Davis said. “We need more research on AI to understand how it is impacting consumer perception, as well as when AI is going to help versus when it could hurt.”

thank "U Chicago!"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I really like the chapter where Hal's Grandpa/James's Dad is telling James about how the world of man is made of machines and that every machine is made for a purpose and must be respected and used with the intention of that purpose.

I followed an "infinite summer" reading program that basically has you read 10 pages a day, not including endnotes) from Memorial Day (end of may) to Labor Day (beginning of September) and I really liked it. it's very important to make sure you do not make your personality "guy who wants to talk to you about infinite jest" though

there's no way to say this without sounding pretentious but the length and the structure (both the endnotes, how time jumps around some, how the style is very different depending on who that section is following, etc) are just as important as the plot and the characters. it wouldn't work as a 400 page book

gently caress the "wardine be cry" section though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mawarannahr posted:

study finds business school students regard Black robots as articulate, competent, and superior to Black people

quote:

Black AI is so unusual

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

thank "U Chicago!"

Clean AND articulate, you say?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

This reminds me of the trend in 90's cartoons where every single super hero's tech support was a black nerd

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

mawarannahr posted:

thank "U Chicago!"

quote:

Understanding how racial stereotypes interact with artificial intelligence is an important step toward the ethical use of AI, Davis said. As AI and bots grow in popularity, businesses must understand these nuances to not only support their bottom line, but also to navigate decreasing racial bias.

kinda hard to get away from the fact the word "robot" literally means slave tho

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Every company will now theme their “AI” products as one offensive caricature or another in an attempt to obscure their flaws.

It’s not just race. They’re going to have gay chatbots, chatbots in wheelchairs, chatbots with Tourette’s.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mawarannahr posted:

thank "U Chicago!"

The white guy looks like a total dingus. A teenager at his first job.

Confounding factor: pointy hair. Give the black AI pointy hair and see if people think it looks competent then.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

This reminds me of the trend in 90's cartoons where every single super hero's tech support was a black nerd

I just assume Levar Burton inspired that entire trend

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Every company will now theme their “AI” products as one offensive caricature or another in an attempt to obscure their flaws.

It’s not just race. They’re going to have gay chatbots, chatbots in wheelchairs, chatbots with Tourette’s.

They already check the box on Tourette’s

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

War and Pieces posted:

I like how in the Static Shock cartoon he was a black hero with a white IT nerd sidekick

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Someone who is not me, train a chatbot AI on leaked police officer communications.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Confounding factor: pointy hair. Give the black AI pointy hair and see if people think it looks competent then.

Yeap the ones on the left and right have pretty douche bag type hair cuts. If you're going to do pointy hair, mohawk or nothing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

can someone post the full text? tia https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/722703?journalCode=jacr

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

tangy yet delightful posted:

Someone who is not me, train a chatbot AI on leaked police officer communications.

Thanks for getting me shot, rear end in a top hat

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

someone post:

quote:

I’m Only Human? The Role of Racial Stereotypes, Humanness, and Satisfaction in Transactions with Anthropomorphic Sales Bots
Nicole Davis, Nils Olsen, Vanessa G. Perry, Marcus M. Stewart, and Tiffany B. White
Journal of the Association for Consumer Research 2023 8:1, 47-58
https://doi.org/10.1086/722703

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Heavy_D posted:

the other thing to bear in mind is that the touchscreen only needs to get it's foot in the door by being a better interface for one feature (lets say controlling the mp3 player). you add it in the first model alongside all the other physical buttons, and it's a genuine improvement. only then do you notice that you can start saving money by shifting button functions to the touchscreen. it's a shame that "enshittification" is such an embarrassing edgelord term, because the pattern it describes is vital, and this is another great example of it.

agreed. my new car has a touchscreen that is notorious for disabling itself above 6mph. i originally was going to hack it to be always on, but turns out i do not need it whatsoever. it's a nice big display for the stereo and carplay, and i can easily do everything with the jog dial and volume knob on the center console without taking my eyes off the road. making touchscreens required components of the car's UI is stupid as poo poo

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mawarannahr posted:

someone post:

cant find it on scihub or elsewhere. https://www.terry.uga.edu/directory/people/nicole-davis worst case scenario you can email her and ask for a copy. that's pretty standard

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

knowing that someone wants to read the full paper will probably make her day

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Vox Nihili posted:

I just assume Levar Burton inspired that entire trend

the guy in die hard was before TNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Folks, the email addresses of academics are generally public. You can just email them and ask for stuff! I ask them for book recommendations.