Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Friend of mine is interested in getting a gravel bike, what's the best option for around 1500-1700 and hopefully includes grx or 105 spec components

bike price inflation has unfortunately made that a very difficult price/component target to hit anymore :(

maaaaybe with a DTC brand, on sale, but really hard to find anything like that from a major store brand these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Friend of mine is interested in getting a gravel bike, what's the best option for around 1500-1700 and hopefully includes grx or 105 spec components

How much clearance?
Ribble has the CGR AL with 105 for $1700.
More clearance on their Gravel AL, but $1700 only gets you GRX 400.

Strongly recommend against people shopping for steel in this price range.
Nice and even medium-range steel bikes are fantastic but cheap ones really are way worse than comparable alu, and in the gravel segment your tire sizes are big enough that misconceptions about frame harshness are irrelevant.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 28, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

amenenema posted:

Canyon Grail AL

Just looked this up and in nz that bike retails for ~3k lol

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Slavvy posted:

Just looked this up and in nz that bike retails for ~3k lol

Which one? If that's the AL 7 that's pretty much 1:1 with the exchange rate so doesn't seem too bad.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Has anyone had good luck scheduling weightlifting around biking (in particular, lower body stuff)? Right now I am just putting my squat day each week as far from the weekend and its long bike ride as possible, which helps, but this means that I deadlift either a day or two before or after a ride, which I've found still tends to make either the bike riding or deadlifting much harder.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

bicievino posted:

Strongly recommend against people shopping for steel in this price range.
Nice and even medium-range steel bikes are fantastic but cheap ones really are way worse than comparable alu, and in the gravel segment your tire sizes are big enough that misconceptions about frame harshness are irrelevant.

If this is directed at me, let me point out that what I'm looking for is a heavier steel bike with bigger tires for short-to-medium-length rides, particularly but not exclusively on a couple of nearby bike trails that are in rougher shape than most of the others around me (which are generally quite nice; I'm spoiled in this regard). I'll probably also toss a rack on the back. It'll probably might slow me down a tad, which isn't a problem for what I want to do with the bike.

I'm not looking for steel because I don't think aluminum bikes can be smooth-riding. Every bike I've bought in the last few years has been aluminum, and I love them all. Even my road bike, which will continue to be my main bike for long and quicker rides, is all aluminum except for the fork.

Is not about performance or a misconception that only steel can handle the "abuse" I plan on subjecting this bike to without rattling my joints apart and blistering my bottom.

I want a steel bike because steel looks cool, and except for the weight, I don't often hear people complain about the ride feel. The whole vibe tickles my nostalgia bone, and the increase in weight and drop in performance doesn't matter to me in this particular case. I ain't taking this on a MTB trail or a century ride. A tweed ride is more like it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I picked up climbing as a secondary activity instead. gently caress leg day TBQH.

tarlibone posted:

I want a steel bike because steel looks cool, and except for the weight, I don't often hear people complain about the ride feel. The whole vibe tickles my nostalgia bone, and the increase in weight and drop in performance doesn't matter to me in this particular case. I ain't taking this on a MTB trail or a century ride. A tweed ride is more like it.
The thing is hi-ten bikes don't usually look that nice either IMO

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

evil_bunnY posted:

I picked up climbing as a secondary activity instead. gently caress leg day TBQH.

That is my tertiary activity, which blessedly only really fucks up my fingers/forearms. Sadly I pretty much need to weightlift or my back/knees get hosed up quickly.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

Has anyone had good luck scheduling weightlifting around biking (in particular, lower body stuff)? Right now I am just putting my squat day each week as far from the weekend and its long bike ride as possible, which helps, but this means that I deadlift either a day or two before or after a ride, which I've found still tends to make either the bike riding or deadlifting much harder.

I have. I do stationary for 15 minutes to warm up on weight lifting days, and I generally ride on the weekends. Whenever possible, I do leg day on Tuesday and back/core stuff on Thursday. I have cardio days on Wednesday (if there's no band rehearsal) and Friday (religiously), and those are on the stationary unless weather and daylight permit riding outside.

I've been doing this weightlifting routine for years, and once I had some semblance of cycling legs under me, neither activity has interfered with the other.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tildes posted:

Have you tried anything like a theragun (or knockoff) for muscle recovery? I find it definitely helps my recovery

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cycling Tips used to be my favourite bike website until they got into NFT's and fired everyone but it's now reborn

https://escapecollective.cc/

Looks like basically all the staff from cycling tips + the gruber's (famous cycling photographers). I've backed it immediately

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Which country / currency?
In the UK it’s Boardman ADV or Decathlon GRVL something by quite a long way, then Ribble or Canyon.

Giant Revolt 0 is a decent spec too, worth checking your local prices, 20% sale here at present.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
United States of bullshit

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Cycling Tips used to be my favourite bike website until they got into NFT's and fired everyone but it's now reborn

Looks like basically all the staff from cycling tips + the gruber's (famous cycling photographers). I've backed it immediately

Excellent. Also backed this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Fully sick, thanks pube doc

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sweet, I just freed up some subscription money by canceling my Outside+ account. It was worth it when you got a free race entry, but they're not doing that this year. Their bicycle content is very lame, IMO.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tildes posted:

IMO it really depends what your goals are and what you're trying to accomplish with the strength work.

If I'm just doing maintenance weights (1-2 per week), I only ride recovery that day, and preferably after. Try to have a one-day gap before a race.
I only try to build during a dedicated strength/sprint block, and then all the riding is endurance pace or easier since there's an interference effect with strength work and either vo2 or threshold.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

tarlibone posted:

If this is directed at me, let me point out that what I'm looking for is a heavier steel bike with bigger tires for short-to-medium-length rides, particularly but not exclusively on a couple of nearby bike trails that are in rougher shape than most of the others around me (which are generally quite nice; I'm spoiled in this regard). I'll probably also toss a rack on the back. It'll probably might slow me down a tad, which isn't a problem for what I want to do with the bike.

I'm not looking for steel because I don't think aluminum bikes can be smooth-riding. Every bike I've bought in the last few years has been aluminum, and I love them all. Even my road bike, which will continue to be my main bike for long and quicker rides, is all aluminum except for the fork.

Is not about performance or a misconception that only steel can handle the "abuse" I plan on subjecting this bike to without rattling my joints apart and blistering my bottom.

Nah, was just extra info for the person asking about it. There's nothing wrong with shopping on aesthetic as priority one. Sounds like you're eyes open about tradeoffs so gung ho imo.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Guinness posted:

bike price inflation has unfortunately made that a very difficult price/component target to hit anymore :(

Jesus. Not that long ago there were $1000 bikes with mostly 105 components. But I guess maybe modern Tiagra is better than 105 was 10 years ago.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It looks like Shimano's going to replace their whole sub-105 ecosystem with an interchangeable hydro disk groupset that can do 9, 10 and 11 speed. Been announced for MB/Hybrid, but road is on the way apparently

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Angryhead posted:

I'm currently running a Schwalbe Winter with 120 spikes up front and a "regular" MTB tire in the back (Schwalbe Smart Sam IIRC)
This results in some fishtailing from time-to-time when going over ice patches or braking at the wrong time, but it's been manageable.
Gotta take it carefully when cornering - but at least snow will soften any falls!
/../
I started off with both tires being studded but switched to another bike and only put the one in front about ~700km ago and it's treated me well.
Totally ate poo poo last night, coming down a little S-curve that was apparently covered in black ice and my rear tire just slipped away and I fell and slid on my rear end for a bit.
Fortunately, powerful cycling glutes resulted in me not really feeling it at the time nor today, no damage to bike or clothes either.
Glad there were no pedestrians around to hit, but a shame that I was the only one to see and get a laugh out of it.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
yesterday i completed my first ever strava distance challenge! i expected to feel some sort of firework show's worth of pride and confidence but it turns out 200km is basically already what i do in a month

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Angryhead posted:

Totally ate poo poo last night, coming down a little S-curve that was apparently covered in black ice and my rear tire just slipped away and I fell and slid on my rear end for a bit.
Fortunately, powerful cycling glutes resulted in me not really feeling it at the time nor today, no damage to bike or clothes either.
Glad there were no pedestrians around to hit, but a shame that I was the only one to see and get a laugh out of it.

Getting ice on it right away is always good advice; good to see you were thinking on your... uhm, feet....

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It looks like Shimano's going to replace their whole sub-105 ecosystem with an interchangeable hydro disk groupset that can do 9, 10 and 11 speed. Been announced for MB/Hybrid, but road is on the way apparently

I heard about this yesterday because Youtube knows that I looked at a bicycle once upon a time. I don't know enough about this kind of thing to have an informed opinion about it, but a single, interchangeable system seems like it could be a good idea, right?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Taribone don't get the Nicasio+ it's a stinker of a bike. The four corners is also not all that great. The 700C Nicasios are OK but just OK. The higher end models are thru axle with a carbon fork and a marked improvement. Gestalt is overall better IMO. I'll be honest aside from the stupid seatpost the aluminum giant revolts are all better bang for your buck around here. YMMV where you are.

These days Tiagra is a good group. If you can afford 11s yes 105 is better and the extra gear is is nice but you can get a clutched 10s GRX mech if you want to. If you can only afford the Tiagra get it and ride it and be happy with it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

tildes posted:

Science-Based Recommendations for Training to Maximize Concurrent Training
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4213370/

(TL;DR - Hard run/ride AM, refuel, strength PM
or
Easy run/ride immediately followed by strength)

amenenema fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 1, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Silly question but how long do bibs typically last? I still have a bib from my old team that I got in 2009 or so. Surprisingly there are zero tears on it anywhere, but lately I’ve realized it’s significantly less comfortable.

That chamois is cashed right?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Residency Evil posted:

Silly question but how long do bibs typically last?

Until the person behind you complains about the visibility of your buttcrack

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

tarlibone posted:

Getting ice on it right away is always good advice; good to see you were thinking on your... uhm, feet....

I heard about this yesterday because Youtube knows that I looked at a bicycle once upon a time. I don't know enough about this kind of thing to have an informed opinion about it, but a single, interchangeable system seems like it could be a good idea, right?

You'd think that, but it's still got sub-model ranges within it to contain the 9-, 10- and 11- speed parts, and some levels of those are different (only 10+ speed RDs get a clutch, for example) so it's still a mess. If you were in the industry or a deep Shimano fan you'll have to memorise all the little details and gotchas still...

meltie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 1, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Vando posted:

This 100%

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I asked this in the General Stupid/Small QUestions Megathread but in retrospect it'll probably get some more traction here:

[I just got a resistance trainer and fitted it to my bike successfully, but] space is at a premium in this room and even standing up against my workout equipment, the bike takes up slightly too much of it. So I'm looking around the room for solutions and noting that there is quite a bit of space at one corner of the room, in front of these cupboards/closets(?):

I don't want to bolt anything into them if I don't have to, but what I'm wondering is if there's some solution I can hang over the cupboard doors. The closest analog I can think of is one of those towel racks you hang over your bathroom door, but obviously more robust with extended arms that can accept a full-size bicycle.

Does that make sense, and sound like something that exists? Or is there another similar option I can explore?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
A new version of SRAM Force has been released and (to me) it seems to be mostly worse than the old one, but some benefits:
- Powermeter is integrated with the chainrings for 2x
- Powermeter for 1x is just the Rival PM and single-sided
- Shifter hoods are slimmed down but lose the bite point adjustment and some extra functions they had
- Front derailleur is better overall though

Actually quite happy I got my bike when I did since I was able to get the older spider PM for relatively cheap and Rival seems to be as good if (quite a lot) heavier.
Does mean it'll be harder to get SRAM 107 BCD chainrings though if everything will be directmount, but there's plenty of alternatives.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Mister Speaker posted:

I asked this in the General Stupid/Small QUestions Megathread but in retrospect it'll probably get some more traction here:

[I just got a resistance trainer and fitted it to my bike successfully, but] space is at a premium in this room and even standing up against my workout equipment, the bike takes up slightly too much of it. So I'm looking around the room for solutions and noting that there is quite a bit of space at one corner of the room, in front of these cupboards/closets(?):

I don't want to bolt anything into them if I don't have to, but what I'm wondering is if there's some solution I can hang over the cupboard doors. The closest analog I can think of is one of those towel racks you hang over your bathroom door, but obviously more robust with extended arms that can accept a full-size bicycle.

Does that make sense, and sound like something that exists? Or is there another similar option I can explore?

Not sure about hanging from the doors/cupboards as I'd be afraid of the bike pulling them loose, but if there's a bit of space for the legs to extend out then you could lean one of these up against it? https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Gravity-Stand-Delta-Cycle/dp/B0BRGLQ1YN
I've used one in the washing/random crap storage room for 5 years and it keeps a bike high and out of the way. It's also pretty sturdy, but depends how heavy the bike is.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Heliosicle posted:

A new version of SRAM Force has been released and (to me) it seems to be mostly worse than the old one, but some benefits:
- Powermeter is integrated with the chainrings for 2x
- Powermeter for 1x is just the Rival PM and single-sided
- Shifter hoods are slimmed down but lose the bite point adjustment and some extra functions they had
- Front derailleur is better overall though

Actually quite happy I got my bike when I did since I was able to get the older spider PM for relatively cheap and Rival seems to be as good if (quite a lot) heavier.
Does mean it'll be harder to get SRAM 107 BCD chainrings though if everything will be directmount, but there's plenty of alternatives.

Saw this and pretty happy with my 2022 SRAM Force as well. The chainring thing is the most :psyduck: thing.

Vando posted:

This has always been my theory. Thanks guys, will ride this chamois until my penis falls off.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hmm. More like SRAM Farce

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Vando posted:

Nah, those bibs just get pushed to trainer duty.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

amenenema posted:

Science-Based Recommendations for Training to Maximize Concurrent Training
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4213370/

(TL;DR - Hard run/ride AM, refuel, strength PM
or
Easy run/ride immediately followed by strength)

Thank you for this and other’s recs!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

Taribone don't get the Nicasio+ it's a stinker of a bike. The four corners is also not all that great. The 700C Nicasios are OK but just OK. The higher end models are thru axle with a carbon fork and a marked improvement. Gestalt is overall better IMO. I'll be honest aside from the stupid seatpost the aluminum giant revolts are all better bang for your buck around here. YMMV where you are.

These days Tiagra is a good group. If you can afford 11s yes 105 is better and the extra gear is is nice but you can get a clutched 10s GRX mech if you want to. If you can only afford the Tiagra get it and ride it and be happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback on the budget steel bikes!

I'd already kind-of talked myself out of the Nicasio models. The 700C one comes with skinnier tires (30mm) than are on my Contend AR 3 (32mm), which is kind-of the opposite direction I want to go in. Really, from the gearing it comes with, I'm guessing it's more like a road bike that's been half-rear end converted to something resembling a gravel bike by people who know less about what a gravel bike should be than I do, and that's saying something. The 650B version gets better reviews, but that's not what I'm looking for just yet, as there are precious few actual MTB trails in my area. And the Four Corners looks kind-of neat, but it's main function is touring from what I can see and what I've been hearing, and that's not for me.

Honestly, I wonder how the Giant would run on 30's or 28's? Would I need new wheels? Hmmm.

The State All Road comes with 38's, the size that're on my Escape, which I know from experience gives me a better feel on rougher trails. And I can go up to 45's, the chunky tire on my old Cypress, which is even more capable in the rougher areas. And when I say "rougher," I'm mostly talking about degraded pavement and rough chipseal, not what most of y'all consider "gravel" conditions. Basically, it'll be a slow road bike with drops and that steel look that I really like, and it'll be able to handle some areas better than my Contend. I'd say it'll replace my Escape, but... c'mon, no it won't. I still like that bike a lot: it has very versatile gearing and is a really comfortable bike, even without cycling shorts, so it's good to take when I go camping. If it gets stolen or destroyed, I'll be sad, but I'll be $500 sad, not $1000 sad.

meltie posted:

You'd think that, but it's still got sub-model ranges within it to contain the 9-, 10- and 11- speed parts, and some levels of those are different (only 10+ speed RDs get a clutch, for example) so it's still a mess. If you were in the industry or a deep Shimano fan you'll have to memorise all the little details and gotchas still...

So... why do this, then? Like, if they went down to one hub (or whatever; please forgive me, I still am learning about bicycle mechanics!) that could serve as the base for 8-, 9-, 10-, and 11-speed, sub-105-tier cassettes using parts designed to work in that type of system (like, spacers calibrated to deal with the different number of gears, and whatever else is involved), I would get that. Give them all a clutch, or give none of them a clutch, although that would put clutches in a spot where the low tier is the 105. I don't think I've ever ridden a bike with a clutch in it, so I don't know if that's good or bad, honestly.

Seems like if a company wanted to go all-in with a truly modular hub setup that was usable for that wide a range of cassette types, I'd make it a separate line for people who just like tinkering and switching stuff up all the time. Pair it with some old-school friction shifters, which I hear don't really care how many gears you're running in the back, and you've got a Jack-of-all-Gears system for people who want that kind of thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Afaik parts used to be much more interchangeable but that isn't how you make money off of rich dentists

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Afaik parts used to be much more interchangeable but that isn't how you make money off of rich dentists

Remember when Shimano released an update that made Di2 MTB mechs incompatible with road shifters out of greed and spite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It seemed like any cue deraileur will work with any cue shifter&cassette, they're using the 11-speed cog spacing on all of them and the same amount of cable pull. So any deraileur could be a 11-speed unless they're going to artificially restrict the movement of it