Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

google search is sub-radium. like, way worse. way worse. they are doing loving favicon tests again. all search results look like loving ads/aids and there is 30%+ less vertical space.
look at that poo poo. i have to have like 6 loving filter lines in ublock just to unfuck some of it.

lol yikes. I moved to DuckDuckGo a few years ago when it started very obviously going to poo poo. no real regrets and at least I don’t need to ublock elements to make it usable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

idk if it's so much the incompetence and malice because I think that stuff is basically everywhere, but I do think that the fact that there's much less of a barrier between the people running the website and the users is a huge part of it. Any other website, even Reddit where the mods of subreddits will be users in that community, when you get a ban notice it doesn't say who is actually doing it. It'll just say it's from A Member of the Moderation Team.

This is the only website where if a guy bans you, there's a chance it'll come out that that guy is a loving weirdo and you'll be vindicated.

I agree with this and I will say very earnestly that my ideal vision of moderation is for there to be as little of a barrier as possible

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's kind of cool because sometimes you have to filter through 4 fake restaurant websites before getting to the real one.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I heard one of the reasons this happened is because they are now using AI for search.

they've used a lovely NLP model to massage search queries since at least 2019 (https://blog.google/products/search/search-language-understanding-bert/). i think this is mostly a ui change to make paid results blend in? i dont know.

it sucks though. duckduckgo/bing and any other alternative all mostly suck rear end too.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

lol yikes. I moved to DuckDuckGo a few years ago when it started very obviously going to poo poo. no real regrets and at least I don’t need to ublock elements to make it usable

it has its limits tho. i gotta go back to google every once in awhile for longer queries.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the guy who last put me on probation is a real loving weirdo so i already feel vindicated

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

speng31b posted:

It was cuttlefish, the name was changed and now he's psyoping you into believing it was always cuttlefush

yep we are literally being gaslit and it is not Ok

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

this

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

ban and thirty imo

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol there's a snapshot of my profile on archive.org but you can't log in to see it i guess. you just get the window kid vid

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
tuiop?

tumkl

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

ah yes the proof that no one can see

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

shut the gently caress up

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I used search wizardry to find someone quoting Cuttlefush in February 2014 and according to the quote their username was always Cuttlefush which means this conspiracy goes all the way to the top

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
can you find Cuttlefish

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

can you find Cuttlefish

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=cuttlefish

6 posts in total, last one was in 2007, search doesn't work that far back so we can't see what kind of poster they were

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Phone searches bring up nothing on this Cuttlefish character that I've apparently never talked to before

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they were boughbt by az who also is fluffdaddy, who also is a km alt

I mean, let's be honest, with his modding style, would you be able to tell the difference between that and KM taking her revenge?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

jeffrey needs to purge that account and rename cuttlefush to cuttlefish imo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lumpentroll posted:

jeffrey needs to purge that account and rename cuttlefush to cuttlefish imo

i want my name to be lompentrull

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

vyelkin posted:

actively posting on a forum where your own self-image is that you're the sad alcoholic drinking alone at the same bar every night ftw

Well gently caress you too, buddy!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

vyelkin posted:

I agree with this and I will say very earnestly that my ideal vision of moderation is for there to be as little of a barrier as possible

my ideal version of moderation is that i be allowed to perform brutal fatalities on the mods when they anger me

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
Adding Cuttlefish/Cuttlefush to the mandela effect wiki

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

my ideal version of moderation is that i be allowed to perform brutal fatalities on the mods when they anger me

you should get limit breaks you can use on mods and admins after you get enough buttons pushed on you

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

you should get limit breaks you can use on mods and admins after you get enough buttons pushed on you

ya sure let's just give pfc full contorl....

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
if you combine that with the $100 to buy IK idea you could charge up certain posters by buying them IKs. in theory, iwth enough money, you could stunlock an admin or mod.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Athanatos is on. Posting time is NOW

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

drakeno: paid staff
drakeyes: charging 1000 dollars a month to admin the forums

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lumpentroll posted:

drakeno: paid staff
drakeyes: charging 1000 dollars a month to admin the forums

now we're getting somewhere

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if they would just open the floor to the community I know they'd embrace my $100 IK idea

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

vyelkin posted:

This mod wants to rawdog all the posters on this site, gross, smdh

vyelkin posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=cuttlefish

6 posts in total, last one was in 2007, search doesn't work that far back so we can't see what kind of poster they were

Has anybody suggested letting users buy the account names of defunct accounts and just assigning like a number to the defunct account instead? Like we could auction off account names? I feel like someone literally suggested that itt but I’m not going to check and am suggesting it now.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

if they would just open the floor to the community I know they'd embrace my $100 IK idea

yospos and bfc end up ruling the forums, no thank you

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
all thread posters should get a ik buying profit share token

wait i think tld suggested this, but better

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

yospos and bfc end up ruling the forums, no thank you

i don't care who rules the forums i just want 10% of every transaction

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

KirbyKhan posted:

Athanatos is on. Posting time is NOW

Raise posting shields, this is not a drill

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
is the account name "vilerat" still taken

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Trixie Hardcore posted:

This mod wants to rawdog all the posters on this site, gross, smdh

Has anybody suggested letting users buy the account names of defunct accounts and just assigning like a number to the defunct account instead? Like we could auction off account names? I feel like someone literally suggested that itt but I’m not going to check and am suggesting it now.

it's been brought up before but no one's actually moved forward, mostly because they've said they don't like changing usernames without consent

i feel like a forum splash screen for "HEY RIP VAN WINKLE YOU WERE ASLEEP AND SOMEONE STOLE YOUR NAME, CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE" would be pretty easy to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I'm spending my first 20 minutes of posts on you brother. That's how much I believe in your ideas