Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

occasional reminder you can find tons of articles in the nyt archives about how "this Mister Hitler doesn't mean everything he says about the hebrews, anyway he'll grow into the office and the adults in the room will keep a leash on him. also he's not wrong, exactly, about the jews"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

"The best thing allies can do is shut the gently caress up" was the d&d line like 3 weeks ago lmfao

This after four years of "well we fear that Sanders' focus on economic inequality will mean backsliding on LGBT rights"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

This after four years of "well we fear that Sanders' focus on economic inequality will mean backsliding on LGBT rights"

lol did anyone ever do a profile of a couple of rich NYC DINK finance dudes in order to prove that bernie's agenda will hurt gay people?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

lol did anyone ever do a profile of a couple of rich NYC DINK finance dudes in order to prove that bernie's agenda will hurt gay people?

Wasn't that Taintrunner and richwife?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my wife got an online sub to the NYT

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

:sever:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

A Guardian journalist experiments with veganism:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1630456545036193792?s=20

quote:

"I allowed myself two eggs each day, and some minor deviations (I didn’t worry if I was given butter for my toast, didn’t query the details of Thai sauces and stayed with my usual fish oil tablets)."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

The cooking section is actually quite good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

like... today? loving why?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I didn’t want to create strife so I didn’t ask. I just said it’s a nazi paper be careful

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

occasional reminder you can find tons of articles in the nyt archives about how "this Mister Hitler doesn't mean everything he says about the hebrews, anyway he'll grow into the office and the adults in the room will keep a leash on him. also he's not wrong, exactly, about the jews"
lol, New York and America anti-semitiism was strong during the 1930s. Charles Coughlin was a prime example of that. I am pretty sure you can find far worse than an articles claiming Hitler isn't going to do a lot against the German Jewish population.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Lib and let die posted:

"The best thing allies can do is shut the gently caress up" was the d&d line like 3 weeks ago lmfao

it will always be the d&d line, because liberals only want their lessers to shut up and stay away from the adults who are helping maintain ended history

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

PerniciousKnid posted:

When did that happen? Or are you just saying that fame is a form of brain damage.

https://www.wired.com/2009/07/ff-adams/

Mid 2000s

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

ikanreed posted:

I still lol every time I realize his far right turn started when he suffered literal catastrophic brain damage

Healthy young cartoonist goes to doctor, gets diagnosed with brain damage, doesn't feel good and changes - RACISM. Many such cases!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Zeroisanumber posted:

The cooking section is actually quite good.
Online, you have to subscribe to it separately. Same goes for Wirecutter and the crosswords, each a separate subscription.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
if you sign up for the sunday paper you get the crossword and cooking and it’s cheaper than digital, or at least it was (that’s what my wife did, the sunday paper is very useful for starting charcoal and cleaning up cat puke)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Online, you have to subscribe to it separately. Same goes for Wirecutter and the crosswords, each a separate subscription.

times as a service

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

"Good news Mr Adams, we can restore your voice, but only for racism."

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The cultural left has peaked

www.ft.com posted:

Exactly when the tide turned, I don’t know. Perhaps a year ago, when Joe Biden in his State of the Union address said he would “fund the police”. Or last week, when Penguin bowed to pressure to keep Roald Dahl’s sometimes cruel work in print. Or the fall of Nicola Sturgeon over, among other things, a gender bill. Or the resilient sales of JK Rowling.

These are disconnected events, yes, except in one respect: you wouldn’t have counted on them happening in 2020.

The cultural left, it is increasingly clear, peaked that year. “Peaked” does not mean “vanished straight after”. Progressive norms and language remain ascendant in lots of domains. But the year of “defund the police” and vigorous statue-toppling looks in retrospect like the high noon of something, not the dawn of it. Even the word “woke” has a derisive connotation now that it didn’t back then. Were I to use it in this column instead of “cultural left”, it would be cheap and ad hominem: an epithet, not an argument. That wasn’t so true in 2020.

So what happened? Why is a once-rampant movement on the defensive?

First, the context changed. It is natural to assume that young people grow angry and subversive when things are bleak. But dissent is more often a fair-weather pastime. Rebel Without a Cause came out during the Eisenhower boom. The unrest in Paris in 1968 took place deep into the Thirty Glorious Years of the French economy.

Well, identity politics is another perverse fruit of success. The movement grew during the decade of economic expansion and peace that followed the 2008 crash. As those benign conditions fell away, so did the movement. It is hard to care that Augustus Gloop is called “fat” at a time of double-digit inflation. It is hard to deplore microaggressions while Ukraine is enduring a rather macro one. The cultural left hasn’t been defeated so much as demoted: in salience, in moral urgency. Grievances that once had force now seem beside the point.

Something else has changed. Liberals have stopped pretending there is no problem to confront on their left. I shouldn't overdo the praise here. It is still hard work getting liberals to state their position on, say, gender or free speech. To avoid losing friends, or upsetting offspring, their stratagem is to question the relevance of the subjects. “The culture war is overblown.” OK, but what do you think? “The right wants to distract voters from economics.” True, but what do you think? “Marxists are good on this intellectual manipulation. ‘Hegemony’, they call it.” Yes, listen, I know, but what do you think?

Ducking the issue like this is harder now. For one thing, voters won’t wear it. Cause and effect are hard to establish in elections, but some Democrats believe “defund the police”, or at least their failure to disown it more firmly, cost their party a landslide in 2020. The victory of Glenn Youngkin as Virginia governor a year later is read as another warning. (The Republican had run, in part, against progressive teaching.)

From Biden to the mayor of San Francisco, the party is firmer now, in word if not deed. This is of a piece with the behaviour of liberals elsewhere. The pressure that told on Penguin came as much from the cognoscenti as from the Daily Mail. The wrath that consumed Sturgeon was in large part internal. The culture war is within the left: between old-style liberals and those who view them as complicit in social injustice. (The zealot always hates the doubter and the schismatic more than the outright infidel, so conservatives get a relative pass). Liberals once denied this fight. Enough of them to matter have joined it now.

The worst fate that can befall a movement — short of outright defeat, which it often precedes — is to become a joke. One reason the far right never captured interwar Britain was their failure to shake off a certain air of silliness. It was there even before PG Wodehouse invented the would-be dictator Roderick Spode (the “7th Earl of Sidcup”) and his fearsome Black Shorts.

The cultural left isn’t there yet. It retains huge sway over thought and speech. Even when Penguin climbed down, it did so in the language of a human resources training session. (A company whose business is good writing referred to “very real” concerns “around” old books, and so on.) There is a change in the air, though. It is not just conservative eyes that roll at the latest progressive edict now. It is not just conservatives tongues that cluck. If it continues to over-reach, the cultural left will endure a much worse fate than being hated. It will be teased.

janan.ganesh@ft.com

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you can also just use a bypass paywall browser extension

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol :ironicat:
Young Chinese feeling 'political depression' amid hopelessness about future

www.rfa.org posted:

Feeling disheartened about the future, Chinese graduate student Qi Cui took an online quiz a few years ago that suggested she was depressed. She thought she would feel better once she started her new job and the COVID pandemic eased.

But the sense of despair has persisted, and even worsened. Now, as she reads the news about Xi Jinping’s tightening grip on power and China’s intensifying clampdown on dissent, she realizes something more is going on.

Qi, who is in her early 30s, has concluded that she is experiencing something many on Chinese social media are calling “political depression” – a deep sense of hopelessness that they can change or influence the government, and that attempts to speak out are pointless.

"Political depression eventually winds up with just feeling numb," she said. "I have gone from being shocked and angry and feeling that I have to say or do something, to the realization that I may not be able to change anything."

"When you're Chinese growing up in mainland China, you'd have to be wicked or ill-informed not to suffer from at least a bit of political depression," said Qi, who opted to use a pseudonym for fear of reprisals arising from giving interviews to overseas media.

"Everything has been ruined by the outrageous behavior of the government," she said.

. . .
Signs of hope and change flickered briefly in late November, during the protests across more than a dozen cities in solidarity with the Uyghur victims of a fatal lockdown apartment blaze, and more widely against the lack of freedom of expression in the country.

But within days the protests faded, and since then dozens of young Chinese – many of them women – have been detained for taking part in the "white paper" protests, in which people held up white sheets of paper to reflect their voicelessness.

Feeling suffocated

A college student in China who gave only the surname Zhang for fear of reprisals said he feels as if he's being suffocated, unable to cry for help or make any sound at all.

"It feels bad, but there's also a feeling of helplessness," Zhang said. "I often vent outside the Great Firewall and also to my friends circle [on WeChat], and with a sarcastic or negative attitude."

The Great Firewall uses a combination of blocks, filters and human censorship to limit what Chinese users can see or do online, and Chinese nationals are under huge political pressure not to complain about China overseas, lest they give ammunition to "hostile foreign forces" that are allegedly trying to bring down the Chinese Communist Party.

Zhang's personal experience of "political depression" stems from an experience in high school, where he complained about the violation of students' human rights, leading to retaliation from the authorities.

Since then, he has turned his attention to researching other attempts to stand up for human rights in China.

"I read all of the reports from The People's Daily dating from April 15 to June 4, 1989," Zhang said, referring to the time period of the Tiananmen Square massacre, which the government has tried to cover up. "I was so sad and felt so helpless; I wanted to cry."

He said he had once believed that economic openness would naturally bring about political reform and progress towards democracy.

Now he feels that he might have been better off not knowing how much better things could be.

‘This is just a fantasy’

A Chinese woman currently studying in Boston, who gave only the nickname Kayla, said she had grown up in a household where political indifference was the norm.

Talking to her parents about politics was like throwing rocks into deep water. "There was no response," she said.

"When I was younger, I thought that I could bring about change," she said. "After all, I would grow up, start work, and take part in various forms of activism."

"Then I found out that I didn't have the right to do that," she said. "Most people in junior high school were fully intending to come back to China, to help build the country's future."

"Then you figure out that this is just a fantasy, and will never come true."
. . .
‘A ceiling on one’s possibilities’

Shayna Mell, a licensed psychological counselor in the United States, said political depression seems to include feelings of hopelessness, helplessness and powerlessness, as well as symptoms similar to sadness.

The experience leaves many feeling frustrated and exhausted, as if they have a bleak future ahead of them.

She said authoritarian governments can exacerbate depression with strict censorship, controls on content and official propaganda.

People who are prone to political depression will look on in horror, deprived of any agency, amid growing uncertainty and despair, Mell said.

Psychologist Robert Lusson wrote a HuffPost article in 2017 that described political depression as including “the perception that work, education, imagination and perseverance do not matter, and that there is a ceiling on one’s possibilities.”

He said it may be a type of depression that meets the requirements of the American Psychological Association for depressive disorders.

‘Huge debt’

Kayla is now in therapy, where she talks about her country's political life as much as about her personal life.

"But when you are depressed, you want to watch and read more [of the news], and want to know more about what's happening and what other people think. It's like an obsessive behavior," she said, adding that this is also a way to feel that she is somehow in control.

Qi Cui and Kayla both reported feelings of survivors' guilt on reading reports of those who have been detained for speaking out.

"Chinese people overseas owe a huge debt to the young people inside the Great Firewall who took part in the white paper movement," Qi said. "But now there is more political depression among young people in China as a result, and they will pay a higher price for it."

Despite all of that, Kayla still takes part in protests relating to China from overseas, while Zhang is convinced that regime change is only a matter of time.
. . .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh they only have metaphorical debt

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Liberals never gave a gently caress about BLM or defund the police but merely claimed their mantle to reap electoral benefits and to undermine them. Once those electoral benefits came, and president gramps was in office, they dropped the movements like a bad habit and sent out journalist stenographer like this person to manufacture consent about the "cultural left" becoming irrelevant because of "overreach".

Liberals' failure to do anything for anyone somehow becomes the fault of a left they despise and actively treat as subversive. Same old story.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Feb 28, 2023

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Just lol if anybody ever thought the Dems would even try to fix racism and police brutality beyond a few token gestures that don’t cost anything (take down a few statues, make an example out of one or two cops, give tons of lip service. etc.).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

"Pole vaulting, long jumping, we're all quite impressed. Tell us Mr. Hitler, what you've got planned next"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Just lol if anybody ever thought the Dems would even try to fix racism and police brutality beyond a few token gestures that don’t cost anything (take down a few statues, make an example out of one or two cops, give tons of lip service. etc.).

"We knelt in kente cloths...what more do you people want?"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

2008-2018: the decade of economic expansion and peace :psyduck:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
2017 and 2018 are included in there because trump’s tax cuts, loving up the Iran deal and total and unflinching acquiescence to Israel were a good thing by FT standards

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"We knelt in kente cloths...what more do you people want?"

they made juneteenth a holiday didnt they?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shear Modulus posted:

Oh right...I had forgotten their major accomplishment of ending racism forever.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

they announced it so quickly that tons of federal offices had to scramble to do anything about it at all and the USPS didn't even have time to shut down lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Zvahl posted:

it will always be the d&d line, because liberals only want their lessers to shut up and stay away from the adults who are helping maintain ended history

Indeed, though to be fair it's also probably the best thing most people who self-identify as 'allies' can do

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Minecraft Holmes posted:

they announced it so quickly that tons of federal offices had to scramble to do anything about it at all and the USPS didn't even have time to shut down lol

that was extremely funny

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
My power is so strong I made a destined Slay Kween lose 2016 but also they don't need my dirtbag leftist vote because we don't matter

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

honestly getting libs in 2016 and 2020 caught in the:

"Good we don't need your vote you stupid leftist stay home"
"Okay great I'll stay home"
"NO YOU GOTTA VOTE BLUE NO MATTA WHO IITS THE MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION OF OUR LIVES"
"Hmm then if I'm that important Hillary or Joe should do whatever I want, I am a vital constituency"
"Pfft you stupid leftist we don't need you THIS IS MY FIGHT SONG"
"Whew okay I'll stay home"
"Nooooooo you gotta vote blue no Matta whoooooo look if you want to get to Oakland and a bus is going to Toronto you get on the bus that gets you closer to your destination"
"That's the stupidest fuckinf thing I've ever heard"
"Good stay home you stupid leftist we don't need you..."

Loop was hilarious. I legit got some to say straight out that yes, they didn't need my stupid leftist vote and didn't want it but also it was my personal fault if le cheeto orange man won for not voting

Also in both cases my state went for Trump by a massive margin so my vote wouldn't have been anywhere near definitive so, judging by the lib reaction to the train derailment in Ohio, I deserve to die of cancer. I love compassion.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Also in both cases my state went for Trump by a massive margin so my vote wouldn't have been anywhere near definitive so, judging by the lib reaction to the train derailment in Ohio, I deserve to die of cancer. I love compassion.

yeah this is what changed my mind about bothering with anything local other than ballot propositions and poo poo, even if 90% of the country is democrat they'll still keep blaming the 10% that isn't for everything bad that the democrat party chooses to do so i'm just done voting for people

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

journalist stenographer

A succinct and accurate description of Janan Ganesh.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/ajbauer/status/1630915694995832836?s=46&t=9ihfCxt6aFq7wafFecO-WA

how many times can they post the same article with a different shithead on the byline

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/ajbauer/status/1630915694995832836?s=46&t=9ihfCxt6aFq7wafFecO-WA

how many times can they post the same article with a different shithead on the byline
lol this one is by an actual gop operative who worked for the cruz and abbot campaigns, interned for trump, and was chair of the NJ college republicans, and is described the NYT as 'a senior at princeton'
https://twitter.com/nateffo/status/1630930172974178304
https://twitter.com/nateffo/status/1630946994268020737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol the Princeton Tory