Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I fail to see the connection between rim width and tube punctures, that sounds pretty spurious to me. Running narrow rims with wide tires may not be ideal in terms of aero but it doesn’t cause punctures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Wonder if a narrow rim is more prone to sbakebiting tubes than a wider rim.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The only way it makes sense to me is if they used a 23mm tube in the 35mm tire, and even then it wouldn't immediately puncture.

Regardless, new wheels are a nice treat. Something like this would be sure to be an upgrade over a set of velocity deep v's: https://us.huntbikewheels.com/products/hunt-4-season-all-road-disc-wheelset

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
The Hunts are great value, but the local bike shop will have something for half that price if you're not looking for a big fancy upgrade.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I give it 93% odds that the tube is being pinched between the rim and the bead or they are using tire levers to install the tire.

But yeah, nice wheels are nice, but they also cost more than some people are willing to spend on an entire bike.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Probably just need some liner to avoid future puncture (if you don't want to increase the tire weight by putting in some sealant.)

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

It didn’t make sense to me either. I have the correct tubes for the bigger tires.

I’ll see if a can find a link to the wheel set.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

any advice for commuting in the dark down a winding rural road with no shoulder

i'm thinking "don't" but i'm open to suggestions. i commuted for years in SF by bike and the lack of it is doing no favors for my heart or waistline

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i'm thinking "don't" but i'm open to suggestions. i commuted for years in SF by bike and the lack of it is doing no favors for my heart or waistline

Apart from decent lights and reflectors on the bike you'd obviously want hi-vis clothing. I sometimes see people wearing silver gray looking jackets where the fabric is all reflective: People wearing these jackets show up extremely well in my headlights when there's no streetlights, way better than the usual orange-with-reflector clothing. They are also instantly recognisable as people. My own experience is that the safest scheme for riding bikes is to be easily recognised as a person on a bicycle and try to avoid any confusion since confused people do unpredictable things. I don't think you want to look like something else in the dark because of blinking lights or something of that nature.
Something that might offer at least some feeling of safety would be a device like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_safety_wing - they used to be pretty common on bikes when I was a kid but I rarely if ever see them anymore, probably because they do gently caress all for safety in real life.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I had a section of my commute that was dimly lit and after hitting a large piece of debris that scared the poo poo out of me I upgraded from a dim front light to an actual headlight that could illuminate the path, so that's a recommendation I have. My wife and I have cateye 500 and 400 which both work fine and need charging every few days.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Front wheels with a good 2,4 W @ 6 V hub dynamo have gotten so cheap and reliable that I'm never going back to battery lighting. For $150 in Sweden, I've got a new hub dynamo wheel and a StVZO-compliant front light with 100 lux that I'll never forget.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

It's finally back on the road! My main commuter is out of action because I ordered the wrong bottom bracket for and destroyed the old busted one completely taking it out it so I had to rush this pig into action to have something practical with studded tires to ride while I wait for parts.

Because of time constraints the cable management is a half-assed rush job, also there's no horn or digital voltmeter yet. There's lights and regen braking at least so the critical wiring is functional. I've been running without the hall sensors connected for years and years but they're finally hooked up and they really add some bottom end grunt which is nice from a standstill. The bike feels generally lighter and stiffer than before, also not looking like a rust bucket with a rotten box. The new kickstand works great, I just hope I made it tall enough to work with the beefier summer tires too. Shakedown ride saw nothing worse than a buzzy front fender and a misadjusted handlebar angle so I'm pretty stoked. Gonna tighten up some nuts and bolts and then run some errands.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

Something that might offer at least some feeling of safety would be a device like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_safety_wing - they used to be pretty common on bikes when I was a kid but I rarely if ever see them anymore, probably because they do gently caress all for safety in real life.
A friend of mine has one of those but instead of a bigass reflector at the end it's got a triangular turning insert LOL. You're not buffing that chip outta your paint.

Invalido posted:

It's finally back on the road!
What an amazing contraption.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If I have to ride in the dark I would get a couple of these

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable...&sr=8-5&x=0&y=0

I current have a front light that comes with the bike, and 2 extra USB lights that connect to the bikes USB port. If my USB lights die I would get that light bar.

All lumen numbers stated on the Amazon pages are inflated, so I just watch the user review videos. You are getting better lumen estimate from the size and weight of the battery than anything else.

For getting notice in the rear, IMO blinking red lights are still the best. They don't actually make big lumen for those. So I buy a few, glue one to the back of my helmet and put the rest on the racks of my various bikes.

I go through an unlit city park for a couple miles in the morning. But it only gets completely dark in the winter.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I current have a front light that comes with the bike, and 2 extra USB lights that connect to the bikes USB port. If my USB lights die I would get that light bar.

All lumen numbers stated on the Amazon pages are inflated, so I just watch the user review videos. You are getting better lumen estimate from the size and weight of the battery than anything else.

For getting notice in the rear, IMO blinking red lights are still the best. They don't actually make big lumen for those. So I buy a few, glue one to the back of my helmet and put the rest on the racks of my various bikes.

I go through an unlit city park for a couple miles in the morning. But it only gets completely dark in the winter.

You’ll get other cyclists to hate you using anything like that headlight bar.

And blinking red lights at night are pretty bad too, especially if they have a “day flash” mode that someone in front of you has left on.

Also not legal for use in the road in many places.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

wooger posted:

You’ll get other cyclists to hate you using anything like that headlight bar.

And blinking red lights at night are pretty bad too, especially if they have a “day flash” mode that someone in front of you has left on.

Also not legal for use in the road in many places.

I agree with you front flash lights are THE WORST. I either pass them or change route. But back blinking red light is very low power. Look I rather have a constant rear red light, but I can find a bright one from anywhere.

As for the front light, you can adjust the angle.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Groda posted:

Front wheels with a good 2,4 W @ 6 V hub dynamo have gotten so cheap and reliable that I'm never going back to battery lighting. For $150 in Sweden, I've got a new hub dynamo wheel and a StVZO-compliant front light with 100 lux that I'll never forget.

This.
Dynamo lighting is 100% the way to go for commuting. Knowing my light will just always work is so nice, never have to worry about if I forgot to charge it or whatever.
The fact that the stvzo lights don't blind other cyclists is a nice side benefit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

If I come across you using a light like that you're going to get my high beam to the face. Using that on the road is straight up negligence. There's also no way in this universe something with a 8Ah pack can put out 2600 lumens for 2 hours straight.

stephenthinkpad posted:

As for the front light, you can adjust the angle.
On lights like the one you linked adjusting it to not blind oncoming traffic means aiming it 2 meters in front of you. The beam looks insanely floody in the user pictures.

Groda posted:

On unassisted commuter bikes genhubs are 100% the way to go. There's a reason they were legally mandated in the same country that brought us STVZO specifications.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 28, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
StVZO bike lights are worth letting Germans back into the human race after SAP.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

oh, no other cyclists wouldn't be much of a concern. this area is squarely in the "only children and poor people ride bikes" suburbanite frame of mind. which is why this road between towns has no shoulder.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

oh, no other cyclists wouldn't be much of a concern. this area is squarely in the "only children and poor people ride bikes" suburbanite frame of mind. which is why this road between towns has no shoulder.

Lights bright enough to blind oncoming cyclists are going to blind oncoming drivers just as much.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I drove my friend's new Toyota minivan. They now have a standard automatic highbeam feature that turns on the highbeam if there are no car in front of you. On the highway it means that if there is cars more than 100 or so meters in front of you, the high beam is on. Or if you are in a turn when the computer can't see the front car, the high beam is on.

I get high beam on the two way Queenaboro bridge all the time. The only thing that annoys me is the blinking front light.

Oh yeah ghostly bright rear greenlight.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 28, 2023

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

I drove my friend's new Toyota minivan. They now have a standard automatic highbeam feature that turns on the highbeam if there are no car in front of you. On the highway it means that if there is cars more than 100 or so meters in front of you, the high beam is on. Or if you are in a turn when the computer can't see the front car, the high beam is on.

Are you sure this is on by default?

My Mazda has this too but it still requires both the light stalk to be pushed forward to turn on high beams and the lights to be in auto mode.

If it’s on by default that is truly awful.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

Are you sure this is on by default?

My Mazda has this too but it still requires both the light stalk to be pushed forward to turn on high beams and the lights to be in auto mode.

If it’s on by default that is truly awful.

100m is way too close to have your brights on, and I don't believe for a second that the system is fast enough to avoid glaring people.

In my state the minimum distance from oncoming traffic is 500ft to have your brights on for example. It's only 300ft when trailing another vehicle (near enough to 100m) but I'd be pretty annoyed if someone had their brights on that close behind me.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

100m is way too close to have your brights on, and I don't believe for a second that the system is fast enough to avoid glaring people.

In my state the minimum distance from oncoming traffic is 500ft to have your brights on for example. It's only 300ft when trailing another vehicle (near enough to 100m) but I'd be pretty annoyed if someone had their brights on that close behind me.

Which is why I'd be shocked if it is on by default. It's absolutely not meant for city driving, or even suburban driving. It's for low traffic rural roads, just like manual brights.

edit: I looked it up, OP tell your friend to turn his loving high beams off unless you're on a dark rural road

quote:

How To Tun On Toyota Safety Sense™ Automatic High Beams
Press the Automatic High Beams Button on the Left Side of the Dashboard.
Push the Left Stalk on the Steering Column Away to Turn On.
An Automatic High Beam Indicator Will Appear on the Multi-Information Display.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 1, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Lights bright enough to blind oncoming cyclists are going to blind oncoming drivers just as much.

i'm not buying the blindotron. relax

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i'm not buying the blindotron. relax

I know everyone here is on the same page I just get frustrated having my retinas burned out every ride home in the winter.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The German dynamo lights (eg Busch and Muller) are super well-designed. Cateye/knog etc battery lights are pathetic in comparison. My rear light senses deceleration and has a “brake light”. My front lights light up the road in a nice fan shape, with no light concentrated in one place and even have day/night sensors as a switch option, though I just run mine all the time. Capacitors keep the lights on for a few minutes even if you stop.

Niterider makes some super bright ones if you just want hi-beams at max. Seems like a good use case for you, OMG. They have no peripheral light though so you’ll want reflectors and a nice glowy rear light too.

I like a few strips of 3M reflective tape on the main triangle of any bike I’m going to ride at night, and the best commuter tires will have a reflective sidewall strip, without exception.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Check often how cars are approaching you and be mentally ready to ditch into the dirt at any point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Anybody try Veer Split Belt drivetrains?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I'm a big fat guy, bought an exercise bike for some lower impact cardio. The seat is so uncomfortable, does your butt get used to it? Or should I buy a recumbent bike seat?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Yes

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm a big fat guy, bought an exercise bike for some lower impact cardio. The seat is so uncomfortable, does your butt get used to it? Or should I buy a recumbent bike seat?

Uncomfortable how? Soreness is pretty normal the first few/several times riding, but numbness is very not good.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Exercise bikes usually have pretty cushy saddles. Is it at a funny angle, like pointed way up or down at the front? crooked relative to the bike? It should be pretty level and straight. The height and forward-back position is also important. You want to be extending your leg most of the way at the bottom of the pedal stroke. A quick check to see if you're in the right ballpark is putting your heel on the pedal and you should have a pretty much completely straight leg when it's at the bottom.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Mauser posted:

Uncomfortable how? Soreness is pretty normal the first few/several times riding, but numbness is very not good.

Ok, its just soreness. My butt is used to a big office chair, and now its a smaller bike seat.

Thanks. No pain no gain :D

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Ok, its just soreness. My butt is used to a big office chair, and now its a smaller bike seat.

Thanks. No pain no gain :D

mind that there’s a difference between “good” pain and “bad” pain, and you should never, ever try to ignore or bootstrap your way through bad pain

if you’re getting any numbness or tingling or residual pain in your perineal area or anywhere in your dick-to-butthole axis then address it immediately

any “good” pain should be restricted to your glutes and the muscle groups that actually do the work and maybe your gluteal fat pads while you build up tolerance

weight should always be borne on your sit-bones and rear end-cushion and never on your taint

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Gross cold, blustery morning today. I must have looked like I was really suffering, someone yelled encouragement to me as I topped a very modest rise. First time in 25 years of commuting that's happened!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

mind that there’s a difference between “good” pain and “bad” pain, and you should never, ever try to ignore or bootstrap your way through bad pain

if you’re getting any numbness or tingling or residual pain in your perineal area or anywhere in your dick-to-butthole axis then address it immediately

any “good” pain should be restricted to your glutes and the muscle groups that actually do the work and maybe your gluteal fat pads while you build up tolerance

weight should always be borne on your sit-bones and rear end-cushion and never on your taint

yeah. some tenderness when you get on is normal and will go away with time. tingling or numbness is bad and means you should stop, now, and adjust the seat. there's very little fatty tissue over your sit bones, even on real fluffy people, so chances are good you can find a setup that works for you. but it's not impossible that you'll have to seek other solutions, bicycling while big does put you in a pretty outlying minority and default solutions may not work for you.

keep at it!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I finally got around to replacing the rear derailleur on my commuter with a part from the coop bins. Coincidentally, I did some research through scans of catalogues online and determined that my commuter is a 1974 Motobecane Nomade (as best as I can tell based on color and components) and had the original ugly simplex derailleur on it. The old one didn't have enough spring in it to keep the chain taut and when I took it off I found out that the pulleys were actively fighting against me. New one installed and new chain while I was at it and it's like a completely new bike :)

Mauser fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Spring is delayed, I rode through a blizzard today. I'm so looking forward to the annual bike tuneup. New chain, summer tires, new shifter cable and a thorough cleaning all need to happen as soon as this snow and road salt business finally ends sometime at a date yet to be determined. Also bring the road bike down from the attic, yeah.