Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think there were a couple of DS9 videogames for the SNES. I never played them because I didn't have an SNES as a kid.

I'm surprised that no one has ever come up with a DS9 open world RPG. The world of DS9 would have a lot of possibilities for something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Tom Guycot posted:

Did they ever do a DS9 or ENT videogame? I recall many tos, tng, voy ones as well as the more general purpose star trek universe games, but I can't think of any for DS9 or ENT, which, doesn't entirely surprise me.

ENT got none, but DS9 got four games (Harbinger, The Fallen, Dominion Wars, Crossroads of Time)

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 28, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'd play a Hugo-style text parser game set on DS9 complete with garish graphics

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I downloaded a text parser game from a BBS as a very young teen where you were alone with Troi in her quarters

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

> Talk to quark

There are no quarks here.

> Talk to Quark

Quark sneers. "What do you want to drink?"

> romulan ale

I do not understand the command.

> Order a Romulan ale

Who are you ordering from?

> Order a Romulan ale from quark

There are no quarks here. Perhaps you should check the science lab?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m pretty sure Enterprise only had a few levels in Star Trek: Legacy. Even Star Trek Online hasn’t done much of anything with the series.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
DS9 game should just be you as Sisko in his office trying to get on with work while all the other crew keep on coming in and interrupting you with minor station problems.

At the of the end of the day you might suddenly get a "oh and know everyone is dead", "federation is now at war" end game screen as you screwed up figuring out one of the minor problems was actually the A plot and you hosed it up properly checking up on it.

Just have which issue it the important A plot problem change each play through.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
> punch dukat

The Federation has a treaty with the Cardassians.

> tell dukat to go away

> poison dukat's kanar

Kanar is already poisonous.

> use phaser on dukat

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

> Talk to quark

There are no quarks here.

> Talk to Quark

Quark sneers. "What do you want to drink?"

> romulan ale

I do not understand the command.

> Order a Romulan ale

Who are you ordering from?

> Order a Romulan ale from quark

There are no quarks here. Perhaps you should check the science lab?

> Order a root beer

(Unlocks an easter egg conversation loop)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

> Talk to Morn

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Plus you have a three-part wheel where you have to line up sections of alien faces to get the unlock code.

To begin game, enter code for TELLARITE | FERENGI | BOLIAN

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
> Bribe men to cover the crimes of other men

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If the game suspects it's pirated, it shows you what's under a Breen helmet

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Looks like DS9 had 4 video games.

1995 SNES - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine_%E2%80%93_Crossroads_of_Time

quote:

The player controls a member of Deep Space Nine's crew, mostly Captain Benjamin Sisko, but also Doctor Julian Bashir, Major Kira Nerys and Odo. Most of the game's levels are cinematic platformers; one is a horizontal-scrolling shooter. Platform levels are of two types: 'adventure' levels and 'action' levels. In 'adventure' levels, the player character moves around Deep Space Nine, talking with NPCs and ultimately reaching a certain point in the plot. In 'action' levels, the player wanders the level in the cinematic platformer style, climbing ledges, fighting enemies with a phaser, and finding and using items, with the ultimate goal of fulfilling a certain mission, sometimes within a time limit.

1996 DOS/Mac - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine:_Harbinger
Includes voice from Avery Brooks

quote:

The player character, Envoy Bannick, is on special assignment to a newly discovered race in the Gamma Quadrant. On the return trip through the wormhole, Bannick is attacked by some sort of alien drones and, despite assistance by Deep Space Nine, crashes into its docking ring while on emergency approach.

Once Bannick arrives on the station, he discovers most of it has been abandoned except for senior staff due to a plasma storm in the vicinity. The Defiant is missing and on evacuation duty as well, leaving only two runabouts and an ambassadorial ship from the alien race Bannick was negotiating with docked at the station.

2000 Windows/Mac - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine:_The_Fallen

quote:

The player can choose to play through the entire game as either Captain Benjamin Sisko, Major Kira Nerys or Lt. Commander Worf.
The game begins with a cutscene set during the final days of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor. A Cardassian scientist called Terrell (voiced by Nancy Linari) has discovered one of the red Orbs and is studying it in a secret research facility on Terok Nor, a space station orbiting Bajor, with the intention of harnessing its power as a weapon for the Cardassian Union. However, there is an accident and her Cardassian guards are killed. Soon thereafter, the Cardassians seal the room and abandon the station, handing it over to the Federation.

Six years later, the USS Defiant receives a distress call from a Bajoran science vessel which has been recently attacked, although there are no ships in the vicinity.

2001 Windows - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine:_Dominion_Wars

quote:

Gameplay is a mix between real-time tactics and space combat simulation. The game allows simultaneous control of up to six different ships from any of the four main combatant powers in the Dominion War - the Federation, the Klingons, the Cardassians and the Dominion. Missions include both primary and secondary objectives that allow a multitude of solutions for completion. To this end, before most missions, player may choose their ships, captains and accessories from a range of available personnel and ship classes.

Each [Fed] mission is introduced by Admiral Ross (voiced by Barry Jenner).
Each [Dominion] mission is introduced by either Gul Dukat (Marc Alaimo) or Weyoun (Jeffrey Combs).[b]

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Fallen apparently loosely shares a plot with the Millennium trilogy of DS9 books but without the crazy poo poo (so really just the first book)

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Not strictly a game OR DS9 but AfterDark had a great set of Star Trek screensavers back when those were used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_Ip8HtYowA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRo9bOsU-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbOfHoGfLFQ

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

I downloaded a text parser game from a BBS as a very young teen where you were alone with Troi in her quarters

You are in Deanna Troi's quarters.
She can sense what you're feeling.
She tells you to leave.

Congratulations, you scored 0 out of a possible 0 points. Press any key to quit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do betazoid empathically experience their sex partners' orgasms? Surely Gene wrote something on this important topic.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I never actually played the DS9 SNES game, but I did stumble across it in a pile of [legally acquired content] and I occasionally have a chuckle at the weirdness of 2D platformer Sisko running & jumping around frantically while this totally ill-fitting music plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqWTA3I7DTI

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m pretty sure Enterprise only had a few levels in Star Trek: Legacy. Even Star Trek Online hasn’t done much of anything with the series.

Yeah, Star Trek: Legacy was the last "real" Trek video game before Online and Resurgence came about. It was also the first post-Activision Trek game, and the only one handled by Bethesda and it has all the wonderful quality hallmarks that a Bugthesda game is expected to be known for. It basically tells Star Trek: Picard Season 2's Borg storyline, only in a way that poisons ALL of the then-extant Trek shows rather than just TNG.

Basically a Vulcan scientist in the Enterprise era is assigned to study the remains of the First Contact Borg sphere and gets low-grade assimilated and decides to become her own lovely bandit kingdom Borg Queen and goes on a 300 year quest to amass power and form a new faction of Borg and crosses paths with Jonathan Archer, James Kirk, Jean-Luc Picard, Benjamin Sisko and Kathryn Janeway in the process before Picard and Janeway blow the poo poo out of her at the end of the game.

As a game it was... fine-ish? There's a must-have mod for it, the Ultimate Universe Mod, that really elevates it and tries to fix a lot of what was wrong with it. Over all it was a squad-based version of the Starfleet Command games where instead of controlling just one ship, you could have a fleet of up to four ships to hop between at your choosing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Starfleet Command also supported controlling multiple ships, I think up to three.

I could never get into Legacy, the controls always felt really janky and the combat didn't do it for me.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

dr_rat posted:

DS9 game should just be you as Sisko in his office trying to get on with work while all the other crew keep on coming in and interrupting you with minor station problems.

At the of the end of the day you might suddenly get a "oh and know everyone is dead", "federation is now at war" end game screen as you screwed up figuring out one of the minor problems was actually the A plot and you hosed it up properly checking up on it.

A DS9 Papers, Please basically.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Legacy was neat but a buggy mess, and super short. They did get a bunch of actual cast voice acting though, and it wasn't a bad-looking game. Never saw the PC version though, as I played on the 360. It's not available anywhere anymore either afaik.

I just want a remaster of Birth of the Federation (and maybe one that gives it more than just the TNG license), but alas.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kei Technical posted:

> Bribe men to cover the crimes of other men

You cannot get ye self-respect of one Starfleet officer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

davidspackage posted:

You are in Deanna Troi's quarters.
She can sense what you're feeling.
She tells you to leave.

Congratulations, you scored 0 out of a possible 0 points. Press any key to quit.

Alternate playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtAWKokoh8Y

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Do betazoid empathically experience their sex partners' orgasms? Surely Gene wrote something on this important topic.

Probably that was his initial reason for conceiving of her as a character.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Starfleet Command also supported controlling multiple ships, I think up to three.

Yes, and the difficulty scaling, economy system, and the wingman AI was so all over the place that buying them was most of the time way to burn off extra credits and pretty much nothing else. The inherent problem with SFC strategy was that "the one with most spare parts wins" was too dominating, unless you were using plasma torpedoes which were the easy mode over everything. On some missions you could cheese your way through it by capturing the ships, though.

The game was clearly designed for player to command only their own ship, and that fleet action thing was something superficially glued-on stuff that didn't even work properly most of the time.

And I actually liked them all, even the third one which was TNG-era and "too simplified, too little new" to most.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Sir Lemming posted:

I never actually played the DS9 SNES game, but I did stumble across it in a pile of [legally acquired content] and I occasionally have a chuckle at the weirdness of 2D platformer Sisko running & jumping around frantically while this totally ill-fitting music plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqWTA3I7DTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0lFRlQ_LBA

I played this on the Genesis and it had slightly improved sound and visuals but yeah... it was strange to have Sisko do platforming and fist-fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bVoUuRCLbQ

Especially after playing the TNG Genesis title that focused on away team skills, puzzle solving, negotiation, etc.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the snes ds9 game came on a microsd card that was included with a handheld emulator thing i got. i could never get very far in the game though because they basically don't tell you anything and it isn't intuitive at all. i'm not even that bad at games from that era lol

so i realize that's probably because games used to come with an actual manual that explained the setting, story and instructions, but goddrat that game makes no sense as-is

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I once picked up a trio of Star Trek games for Game Boy from a bargain bin. I forget the titles but one was specifically based on Generations. They were quite bad, and all pretty much the same game (I think you navigate an asteroid field in all three?) lol.

I vaguely remember a Star Trek NES game at a friend's house that didn't seem too bad. Might have been 25th Anniversary? But way different from the PC game obviously. It was a weird time back then; not uncommon for the same title to come out as completely different games on different platforms.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 28, 2023

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The best Star Trek game was Starfleet Academy Simulator for SNES

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

dr_rat posted:

Press F to angrily demand what the HELL is going on

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

Nah. I can appreciate the concept, but the SNES just didn't have the horsepower under the hood to run a game like that. The framerate, in particular, was atrocious.

Of course, Starfleet Academy on PC was pretty bad, too; the ships moved around like Wing Commander fighters.

Minidust posted:

I once picked up a trio of Star Trek games for Game Boy from a bargain bin. I forget the titles but one was specifically based on Generations. They were quite bad, and all pretty much the same game (I think you navigate an asteroid field in all three?) lol.

I can recall three Game Boy Star Trek games. 25th Anniversary was a fun little time-waster, with side scrolling shooter sequences, plus planet-based away missions. At the end you fight the Doomsday Machine.

The Next Generation and Generations: Beyond the Nexus were effectively the same game with different plots, but they shared assets, gameplay and the same minigames. And they were very, very bad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
When did TNG's staff know the 7th season was going to be the last one? Just finished Descent Part 2 and it still feels pretty open-ended.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tighclops posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK54amgtYyU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

When did TNG's staff know the 7th season was going to be the last one? Just finished Descent Part 2 and it still feels pretty open-ended.

Everyone's contracts were up after the 7th season and Paramount was eager to get them into movies because the Original Series cast was done.

That's why Generations came out only six months after All Good Things... aired; Paramount wanted to strike while the iron was hot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

Everyone's contracts were up after the 7th season and Paramount was eager to get them into movies because the Original Series cast was done.

That's why Generations came out only six months after All Good Things... aired; Paramount wanted to strike while the iron was hot.

So writing and producing knew this was going to be it from the very beginning?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arivia posted:

Yes. Brannon Braga and Ron Moore had to try and juggle which project they wanted to devote all their time and effort into making as good as they could make it, either All Good Things... or Generations, and they chose All Good Things..., and it shows in how lackluster Generations was because of that crunched time schedule.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

Pretty much. I believe during the hiatus between seasons 6 and 7 (remember, Descent Part I was originally written to have the Enterprise saucer crashing in case they needed to kill off any members of the cast, hence the title), Moore and Braga were called into Berman's office, and according to Moore, they were both convinced that the show was canceled.

Berman began by saying something like, "Well, guys, there's been some news."

Moore thought, "Oh, poo poo, that's it, we're fired."

Berman said, "The next season of the show will be the last. The good news is, though, that there's going to be a Next Generation movie, and we'd like you guys to submit a proposal for it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MillennialVulcan posted:

Not strictly a game OR DS9 but AfterDark had a great set of Star Trek screensavers back when those were used.
Most of my "knowledge" of TOS comes from this add-on to After Dark.

I miss rad screensavers.