Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Anyways, the posters who think the threads have bad vibes should just make a thread with rules for the vibes they want and the mods should respect it or make one of them an IK. I think all of this is already how it works but no one ever does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quantum of Phallus posted:

some unfunny posters were saying things like Rampage is dying etc

:thunkher:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
:siren: MOD CHALLENGE :siren:

Make a drawing(digital, physical, whatever medium), must feature a literal sea lion, must be obviously wrestling-related.

Best drawing as judged by me gets to be IK for 2 weeks, best drawing as judged by the community (if there is a strong consensus) gets to be IK for 1 week.

Submit by the end of Sunday March 5th (I'm in EST but if you submit something good and call a technicality based on hawaii/alaska timezone or whatever, I'll allow it)

Actually, this is a dumb way to do this, let me make an actual thread. click here for the thread

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 1, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what’s the cut off date

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

what’s the cut off date

Great question! edited in to the post

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't draw cause I got stupid hands, can I write a short story about a wrestling sealion instead?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
"I don't understand an established term for lovely discourse, so I'm going to dismiss what's going on and make it into a joke thread about it instead."

gently caress this dead gay subforum. poo poo like this is why I unbookmarked all my PSP threads.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm really glad someone thinks I, one of the oldest people here, is a young person with new words.

If someone posted at me and used a word like sealioning, I would probably correctly assume that they were a twitter-brained freak.

However, this is hosed up and I'lll remember this and what you did to me, accusing me of having a twitter-brain.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I'm not "Sealioning" whatever that means. I'm asking for specific examples because "this subforum jumps on newcomers" sounds like a very different and more serious problem (that should be addressed) than the known, exhaustingly discussed, and unsolvable problem of "I don't like the way some people post". It feels like the posters who have these issues of hating posting styles that they cannot get over are then trying to create a hypothetical problem to make it seem more detrimental than the reality.

To my own eyes, all I've seen are welcoming arms to people who join the threads and say something along the lines of "hey, this looks cool, how can I learn more?". Every single time that happens, people trip over themselves to post youtube links and match recommendations. If anyone here is doing something other than that, I think most posters here would step in and say something or click the report button because I don't think that's the atmosphere anyone wants. But it's like, not actually a thing that happens as far as I can tell. What has happened, is sometimes someone will show up with obviously preformed opinions, not looking to engage but just ruffle feathers "I'm new to watching whats the deal with this pockets guy and the jazz hands guy they're awful why do people like them", and then it turns out they're a previously banned poster / cornette weirdo because that's not how normal people come to engage with something new.

This is fair, and there certainly are re-regs who come in here and post the things that made them bad in the first place. And I think that if someone comes in and says "I'm new to wrestling" they generally will be welcomed. But I don't think the general feeling that some have that this place is not friendly to new folks is completely out of left field; like feelings are weird and people probably can't point to a specific post but the vibe in general and I guess I'm just asking for empathy for people like that if they aren't being hostile re-regs (not accusing you of doing this).

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

"I don't understand an established term for lovely discourse, so I'm going to dismiss what's going on and make it into a joke thread about it instead."

gently caress this dead gay subforum. poo poo like this is why I unbookmarked all my PSP threads.

can i at least see your passport before you leave

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it's just an odd sentiment to me personally because there are plenty of people who actually watch and enjoy wwe (bad crap) but nobody really cares. i guess whoever bought those saudi avatars cared but it's just an avatar at the end of the day. the only people who have really been jumped on in my recent memory are the permabanned rereg guy who was obviously just trolling the entire time but our 37 mods took a while to catch up to the rest of the thread. i don't think there should be an expectation to post any take or thought you have and be able to avoid pushback, but i tend to see people who get pushed back on see it more as an affront to their person and character rather than w/e thing they said. not that it never happens of course :razzy: i just don't see it as pervasive or anything. perhaps my privilege coming to light being on the inside of the secret groups.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will throw into the void that I stopped about 99% of my posting in WWE threads, save for whenever Cody did a thing. I don't have anything positive to say about the company or its product, I'm not going to celebrate their ability to make a storyline that isn't garbage, so I try to avoid WWE posting nowadays.

If there are others that cannot do so I think a smack on their keester from IK or mod could be warranted. Detach from whatever badness you despise. Post about a wrestlers dog instead.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

I'm on the sea lion diet, I see a lion, i get eaten by it!!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Whole thing seems like kind of a meanspirited shebang to me when

CarlCX posted:

I do not think there is a better answer outside of asking people to be kind

but enjoy the mod challenge, I guess

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

yea ok posted:

it's just an odd sentiment to me personally because there are plenty of people who actually watch and enjoy wwe (bad crap) but nobody really cares. i guess whoever bought those saudi avatars cared but it's just an avatar at the end of the day. the only people who have really been jumped on in my recent memory are the permabanned rereg guy who was obviously just trolling the entire time but our 37 mods took a while to catch up to the rest of the thread. i don't think there should be an expectation to post any take or thought you have and be able to avoid pushback, but i tend to see people who get pushed back on see it more as an affront to their person and character rather than w/e thing they said. not that it never happens of course :razzy: i just don't see it as pervasive or anything. perhaps my privilege coming to light being on the inside of the secret groups.

I think you have a good point about people posting things and not expecting response and it not being realistic. But I feel like nonetheless there are a lot of people who feel that way and I don't know what to do about it.

Like honestly I would be concerned for this place if it had a super positive WWE thread so it's not even about that, I get about as much WWE posting as I want to do on the internet out of it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Happiness posted:

can i at least see your passport before you leave

No.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The dead gay forum really ties up the absurdity of this

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

yeah i said this the last time the epic rereg guy was whining about being attacked by the brutal AEW trolls but like, nobody cares when people like Codependent Poster or Intruder or other normal people post about watching wwe, its always just some freaks who post completely out of pocket poo poo and then their heads explode when the response isnt everyone patting them on the back and admitting their minds have been changed completely

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

I really didn't mean to dismiss the legitimate discussion happening ITT at all, if it came off that way I sincerely apologize, I just figured we could have a fun art contest and have a real discussion about the forum culture. I don't personally have much to actually contribute to the discussion as this is mostly about the wrestling threads and I do not watch wrestling nor regularly read the threads about it, if anything the term sealioning is the one thing I'm actually familiar with out of everything else mentioned ITT (aew, wwe, rampage, tony khan, etc).

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gumball Gumption posted:

The dead gay forum really ties up the absurdity of this

I mean not really. DRJ was basically bullied out of the UFC thread thanks to a specific poster's routine lovely behavior that was pretty much verbatim sealioning. So them calling out the stupidity of the posts in this thread where people fixated on the term and not....like the actual action of why the person was using it in the first place is pretty on point.

Yeah it originated as webcomic line but its been in common usage on SA, and other web forums/discussion sites for the past decade or so. It's not like some super obscure unheard of thing that's never been said on this website.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=results&qid=1677633083

Brut posted:

I really didn't mean to dismiss the legitimate discussion happening ITT at all, if it came off that way I sincerely apologize, I just figured we could have a fun art contest and have a real discussion about the forum culture. I don't personally have much to actually contribute to the discussion as this is mostly about the wrestling threads and I do not watch wrestling nor regularly read the threads about it, if anything the term sealioning is the one thing I'm actually familiar with out of everything else mentioned ITT (aew, wwe, rampage, tony khan, etc).

Go make a thread for your idiotic mod challenge then, rather than poo poo up the feedback thread then?

Like how are you that dense to not recognize that poo poo is actively dismissing the discussion that was happening.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 1, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Mekchu posted:

Go make a thread for your idiotic mod challenge then, rather than poo poo up the feedback thread?

You're right, which is why I edited this in within like a couple minutes.

Brut posted:

Actually, this is a dumb way to do this, let me make an actual thread. click here for the thread

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't really care if you made the thread after the fact. You made the whole post and thought "hmmm yes I have no real contribution to provide but think this idiotic photoshop idea is a good thing to add to the feedback thread discussion right now" and then when called out feigned ignorance on why it was stupid.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The only reason I pressed for specific examples is because last time we put vibes on trial without citing specific incidents the posters who like to goof around were likened to karaoke singers who use the n word which wasn’t exactly productive

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

These dang kids got TOO MANY WORDS, about a concept coined in 2014

I'm old, it takes me years to catch up

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 1, 2023

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
am i in the psp shadow overlords and if not can i be?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

im part of the secret cabal that controls the subforum and we are all watching tjpw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ganso Bomb posted:

"weepy wangman",

So why are rivals.com puns allowed here anyway? It's been part of Sports Argument Stadium rules as long as I can remember, I'm curious why it's tolerated.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What is a rivals.com pun

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I would just stop posting if we became so unfun that weepy Wangman got you a sixer because people can't handle the mental anguish of reading the same joke more than once.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

History Comes Inside! posted:

What is a rivals.com pun

From the SAS rules

quote:

Rivals.com Puns — Terrible word play on a player or team’s name is strongly discouraged. This is stuff like “Cindy Crysby,” or “Poois Shamilton.”

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh it’s ok then, the weepy wangman isn’t a player or a team, he’s a pro wrestler

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Lone Goat posted:

From the SAS rules

Well, they are allowed here. I'll never stop calling da champ Wangman Adam Page. He's a forums treasure and part of AEW hype graphics lore.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

They’re funny, they should get rid of that rule

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i remember towards the end of his wwe run i was calling mox Steamed Hambrose. It didnt really catch on, but I had fun with it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

There is zero reason to try and be a stickler to get the harmless mockery of a pro wrestler removed.

That rivals pun stuff was championed by a person who was angry about sports slights 24/7, as well as another person who was similar and was a serial abuser. its purpose was to stop people from pissing them off a ton, with the one positive side effect being that it helped cut down on stupid slur usage. It was never some kind of great idea that made sure the forums were high quality.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Blandy Boreton

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Butt ‘The Shitman’ Fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cavauro posted:

There is zero reason to try and be a stickler to get the harmless mockery of a pro wrestler removed.

That rivals pun stuff was championed by a person who was angry about sports slights 24/7, as well as another person who was similar and was a serial abuser. its purpose was to stop people from pissing them off a ton, with the one positive side effect being that it helped cut down on stupid slur usage. It was never some kind of great idea that made sure the forums were high quality.

It makes sense as a rule to hit people with when they get into dumb fights about their sports team but Wangman isn't hurting anyone. Same way Jelly Janela would get you tossed out on sight since we all know that is in fact a rivals.com level pun since it comes from Corny.