Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dallan Invictus posted:

You don't need any of this to win but frankly this game is easy enough that you don't need any particular thing to win, whether it's elaborate Littlefinger schemes or eugenics-bred superknights or minmaxed MaA comps or whatever.

The game literally doesn't have a win condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Veryslightlymad posted:

The game literally doesn't have a win condition.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I only use the intrigue tree when I'm a vassal and I want to go around loving (and loving with) all the other vassals just for fun. I'm doing a run right now where I started as a duke in the Byzantine Empire. I seduced the empress, and we had a couple secret babies together. I also got her to matrilineally marry her first legitimate son to my daughter and then my dynasty was ruling the empire after a couple generations. Of course that didn't last because my daughter ended up having only daughters herself, and the AI doesn't do matrilineal marriages I guess so they all got married off to other dynasties.

If I'm an independent ruler, I pretty much don't touch the intrigue tree except to maybe pick up a couple of the perks under torturer and schemer, and that's usually only if I really need to get back at some people.

There are a handful of lifestyle trees I almost never touch, Theologian (unless I need to reform my religion), Patriarch/Matriarch, Administrator, Gallant, and Seducer. There's some good stuff in each of those trees, but I find the good ones are way too far down the list, and I have to work my way through a bunch of perks that have little benefit to me. Meanwhile, I almost always go for the Scholar tree, and if I'm broke, Avaracious.

Avaricious is utterly delicious, especially early game if you are even relatively decent sized 1600 gold on average every 5 years,

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Fabricate Secrets is the perk-locked upgrade that fixes that unreliability if you want to - and yeah you don't always want to and you don't always need to, but the thing about the Scheme tree is that it gives you a _lot_ more control over timing than just doing without: hooks whenever you want, get characters out of play and in prison when you want, never run out of scheme slots ever, so whatever plan you have in mind has a lot less dependence on the AI cooperating.

My experience with the Fabricate Hooks perk was that it just made the Spymaster task to Uncover Secrets worse, because it just spammed me with opportunities to fabricate hooks on nobodies.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

My experience with the Fabricate Hooks perk was that it just made the Spymaster task to Uncover Secrets worse, because it just spammed me with opportunities to fabricate hooks on nobodies.

You can use hooks to force invite kingdom claimants to push their claims, or force invite talented or inspired characters. You can use a strong hook on the pope to give you a claim on literally any Christian, even empires. So at baseline its by the sword on steroids.
(Claims are usually better than kingdom holy wars, since they can take the entire enemy, not just the dejure of the title)

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

PittTheElder posted:

:hmmyes: It is nice being able to fabricate them, but that prompt is real annoying.

The Intrigue character I played for a while was fun if for no other reason than this cycle playing out repeatedly and never being called out:

[Other Ruler] has declared BJ Overtime their rival
*12 months pass*
[Other Ruler] found dead under mysterious circumstances, no leads at this time

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PittTheElder posted:

It also enables the directed scheme to fabricate hooks, so you can focus on people you actually care about on your own time frame, but I will concede that's a really annoying tradeoff

there was a recent bugfix related to that but I haven't really done an intrigue game since then because I've had to keep restarting my Assyrian Empire playthroughs and are you really rebuilding Assyria if it isn't through stupefying amounts of mass violence?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah Gallant is unbelievably good.

But what are you actually using any of this for? Hooks on your liege are generally easy to come by, Fabricate Secrets gets you loads on other rulers though less reliably. Stabbing a bunch of AI rulers could be destabilizing I guess, but it's often not hard without that tree, and the AI is already god awful at stabilizing their realm...

It's a matter of scale. You can just splash into the tree for the fabricate hook and work from there, but if you're serious about messing around with other kingdoms and getting your kids installed there via not-warefare, buying out the entirity of the left Intrigue tree on a character with 30+ natural intrigue results in things happening quite quickly, totally reliably, and probably with a lot of stress loss thrown in for free.

Example: Guy with ~15ish intrigue gets fab hook, starts fabbing hooks on other ruler or his own vassals. It might fail depending on if enemy spymasters are disrupting schemes, and any follow-up on those hooks (ie, forcing matrilinial marriages then murdering 4+ people in a row) are going to take years upon years. Meanwhile, Sir StabsAlot has two schemes running at once, everything is always at 95% without any help from the spouse (so no random chances of things failing mid-plot) and will conclude in 11 months sharp. Kids ascend to throne asap instead of decades passing ('dynasty of many thrones' gets less impactful over time), hooks come flying out of the woodwork (and can be redeemed for cash), and stabbing the never-ending amount of rivals (who generate from your evil schemes going public with the latest content patch) is eternally 0 stress for free. It's hard to overstate how fast things move with 2x schemes and maxed out success/power.

You don't HAVE to play a stabby style, as Dallan said above it's all about choosing how you want to win once you're familiar with the systems.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I must be really rusty, as I was rather shocked/puzzled at why my realm *grew* by 50%, an entire de jure kingdom plus loose change, during succession. Figured it out in the end, got a good chuckle. Also, amusingly, I'm much more poor for all that expansion as I'm now getting less vassal tax!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm on my second real playthrough of this game, with the first being Denmark and second being Scotland. I think in some ways playing Denmark first did a disservice to the game, because the Viking factions are just so strong and can be played so aggressively. It was just constant expansion followed by getting discouraged by the total splintering of my empires on every succession. I guess that was the balancing factor.

The Scotland playthrough has been much more relaxed, mostly. My first king was a diplomat, he had a solid, mostly uneventful reign. High point was a crusade against the Moors in Spain, which earned a massive amount of gold and piety. This got invested into a Holy Order (managed to push a zealous son into joining that, too) plus a shitload of armored footmen. Died soon after.

Son was a well-liked diplomat lunatic. Pretty solid domestic support, had to put down a few challengers soon after the succession, but it was easy with the large numbers of armored footmen. This was a very short reign, he ended up in a house rivalry with the King of England. Comparable strength, and it never went to open warfare, but I assassinated his heir and he assassinated me (presumably). Successor was learning focused, took the throne young, now 60 years old. Gobbled up all of Ireland as well as bits of England and Norway, a county at a time. The much more limited ability to declare war on people has me focusing on developing and cultivating areas to a greater degree. I think that's the trick, it made all of the other aspects of the game make more sense. With the Danish faction, it was just like... why wouldn't I be at war forever with anyone that I can beat (which is everyone)? But my Scottish King can't be at war with everyone forever, so I've got to do other things.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Looks like a new expansion announcement next Monday as part of a broader Paradox YouTube announcement (new games from Harebrained, Colossal Order, and Tectonic, and new CK3/EU4 content, among other things).

So we only have to put up with one more content-free dev diary tomorrow?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Actually a pretty decent one as little QOL previews go: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-117-shave-and-a-map-mode.1571227/

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah that is all good stuff! Maybe...maybe there is hope after all. :unsmith:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Now that they've fixed AI joining the defensive side of holy wars, the lack of a useful econ map mode got promoted to "most baffling CK3 oversight" so yeah that is absolutely great to see.

Way easier to know what's worth raiding now!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I became the king of fashion apparently, and LITERALLY I GOT A KINGDOM TIER TITLE FOR IT.

This game is great

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

AtomikKrab posted:

I became the king of fashion apparently, and LITERALLY I GOT A KINGDOM TIER TITLE FOR IT.

Lucky fucker, I only had that happen once and the game promptly crashed and so I never saw that title again. You should set it as your primary!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's best when the Pope suddenly becomes a King-Bishopr because he got that title.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

AtomikKrab posted:

This game is great

How does this happen? Introduce a new fashion at court enough times?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bird in a Blender posted:

How does this happen? Introduce a new fashion at court enough times?

Yea, it's random. Maybe you need to succeed by a certain threshold? I dunno. You get a titular kingdom with no De Jure lands, and if you set it as your primary it comes with a fantastic shade of colour on the map.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Serephina posted:

Lucky fucker, I only had that happen once and the game promptly crashed and so I never saw that title again. You should set it as your primary!

I'm an emperor already so I can't but its nice to have

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

QoL stuff is always welcome. I think barbershop was one of the most popular mods so seeing them roll stuff like that into their base game is pretty neat.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vicky 3 is doing the same thing, so that's nice.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Has it always been 69 stress and I never remembered, or did I run into some combination of traits that caused it?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Has it always been 69 stress and I never remembered, or did I run into some combination of traits that caused it?

If it were traits it'd say so

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Oof, the Beta Israel achievement in the current build is something else... is there any strategy that could work there? Or is it pure random chance?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Moreau posted:

Oof, the Beta Israel achievement in the current build is something else... is there any strategy that could work there? Or is it pure random chance?

Wdym? Generally you can cheese this type of achievement by staying the dominant faith and culture and then instantly changing faith when you hit the requirements. Like you play as the abyssinian king, farm some piety/prestige, convert to judaism and hit the diverge button. divergence gets way cheaper the less land you own of that culture so granting independence helps too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Keep in mind that that one does not require you to start anywhere in the area or even as Jewish. So if the local start is no good, start wherever you want and then migrate down.

I think I did it as a Rurikid, managed to build up Russia then bailed on it, migrated into the steppes and adopted Judaism there (one of the random provinces on the Black Sea had it), then down into Palestine and then Ethiopia.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Man I was so confused because I didn't realize there's a Beta-Israel achievement, meanwhile there's a Bene-Israel decision, but that is out in India.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Dallan Invictus posted:

Looks like a new expansion announcement next Monday as part of a broader Paradox YouTube announcement (new games from Harebrained, Colossal Order, and Tectonic, and new CK3/EU4 content, among other things).

new DLC is focused around hosting and going to tournaments, and also doing red weddings apparently

i feel like making the entire map available from the start has disincentivized them from making region-specific mechanics, which is kind of a bummer. i want more stuff like the vikings DLC that add good regional flavor damnit, not additional generic subsystems

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Love 2 glaze over even more event texts and memorize their outcomes.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

new DLC is focused around hosting and going to tournaments, and also doing red weddings apparently

i feel like making the entire map available from the start has disincentivized them from making region-specific mechanics, which is kind of a bummer. i want more stuff like the vikings DLC that add good regional flavor damnit, not additional generic subsystems

yeah i would love an africa or india pack. this is nice though, like it seems more than just tournaments, it's more about the characters being able to travel around the map more. and regencies. here is the dev diary

hell yeah travel routes

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Theres going to be a crusade if this costs $30

(it will)

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
i havent really followed these things as they developed before, do new features get announced with subsequent dev diaries?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ELTON JOHN posted:

i havent really followed these things as they developed before, do new features get announced with subsequent dev diaries?

Yes. They usually pick a sub topic and do a more in-depth reveal in each additional dev diary. So we will for sure get at least one DD on regencies, one on grand tournaments, one on weddings, one of realm tours, and usually at least one or two on miscellaneous stuff.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Kinda feel like they sold this a bit short in the announcement (and frankly the name) vs. what’s in the DD, which I quite like. Having characters all be at a certain place on the map and individual parts of the map where a thing happens mattering more is all very cool and I imagine is a lot of work. Like if I get to choose to go on a hunt with vassal X because I need a favor from them or improve my relationship and they happen to have a big forest in their domain and I need to travel there and stuff happens on the way/there/on the way back I think that’s really rad.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Anno posted:

Kinda feel like they sold this a bit short in the announcement (and frankly the name) vs. what’s in the DD, which I quite like. Having characters all be at a certain place on the map and individual parts of the map where a thing happens mattering more is all very cool and I imagine is a lot of work. Like if I get to choose to go on a hunt with vassal X because I need a favor from them or improve my relationship and they happen to have a big forest in their domain and I need to travel there and stuff happens on the way/there/on the way back I think that’s really rad.

yeah the video announcement and extremely natural sounding interview made it sound really boring

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

ELTON JOHN posted:

Usually the further diaries will either elaborate on the headliner features or introduce less important ones.

ELTON JOHN posted:

yeah i would love an africa or india pack. this is nice though, like it seems more than just tournaments, it's more about the characters being able to travel around the map more. and regencies. here is the dev diary

Regencies, tournaments, weddings, royal tours, and activities in general requiring actual travel with complications along the way?

unironically sold, plus this will let me get rid of SO MANY MODS

Hasn't the plan always been that expansions like this or Royal Court were for new general mechanics/subsystems, flavour packs like Vikings and Iberia were for regional flavour and bespoke mechanics, and now event packs for themed events, with like 1 of each a year? I do agree that not needing DLC to open up more of the map has meant a change to the framework but it really doesn't mean they're not seeing a need for regional flavour or actually doing it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

jesus christ why

e: well the travel system in the DD is marginally more promising at least, though I'm not filled with too much hope

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 6, 2023

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
paradox i am begging you to release a AI improvement DLC for all of your games at least once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
AI is gonna red wedding the entire map into extinction on release