Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

the coiner is wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

95% of all 'hacking' is done through social engineering. The lack of any mechanism to easily revert malicious actions is what makes decentralised systems more vulnerable.

Yup. To paraphrase 'Line Goes Up': "Its security systems design by people who have absolutely no concept of how to secure a system or the attack vectors against it"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CommieGIR posted:

Decentralized systems are not less likely to get hacked, they still enable access to the whole of the data no matter where you breach them, as they still allow you to read the data.

Even better since Blockchain is append only, so you can't delete any data. Most of them don't even require you to breach the host as the blockchains are usually open and transparent by design.
You're arguing with a language model that just determined decentralized system and security are near neighbors because of domain similarity and could be combined together to make a statement regardless of accuracy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

You're arguing with a language model that just determined decentralized system and security are near neighbors because of domain similarity and could be combined together to make a statement regardless of accuracy.

Its painful, isn't it?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Paladinus posted:

95% of all 'hacking' is done through social engineering. The lack of any mechanism to easily revert malicious actions is what makes decentralised systems more vulnerable.

Code is law so social engineering can't be a security problem by definition, all the code worked as intended

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Collateral Damage posted:

Part of it is there's a lot of shortcuts when doing modern graphics to keep the rendering cost down while making it look visually stunning. A scene in Elden Ring where the developers have full control of what is in the scene and how it's rendered is not the same as a user-created scene in VRchat or Second Life that can contain just about anything and meshes are often made with no thought to optimization.

Second life, even though I was playing it a decade plus after it was released, was the slowest loading thing on my PC. By a large margin.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Code is law so social engineering can't be a security problem by definition, all the code worked as intended

also, if you did get hacked, it was your fault. try being more careful next time

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Code is law is good because laws famously never contain any loopholes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BoldFace posted:

Also the law famously lacks a mechanism for an impartial third party to weigh disagreements, conflicts within the law, and grey areas. It's just all beep boop legal code in, results out.

Contract law even more famously has no need for negotiation or abirritation because all contracts are perfectly written, reference laws that are always in perfect agreement with each other, and never involve people getting hosed and needing to seek recourse beyond the bounds of the contract itself.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BoldFace posted:

Hack the law

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Clockwerk posted:

also, if you did get hacked, it was your fault. try being more careful next time

on the subject of code is law, hows that ape coin game doing, like where in the programs's code or comments does it say im not allowed to use a bot or create tunnels on the client side that are easy for my bot to grind?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Crypto maximalist schadenfreude is apparently hitting a peak. Apparently screaming "Regulate us to validate us!" does result in, well....regulatin'.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/crypto-lawyers-flame-gensler-over-claims-that-all-crypto-are-securities/

Note even the title and the included maximalists.

article title posted:

Crypto Lawyers Flame Gensler
https://twitter.com/AlexanderGrieve/status/1629816811360337920

edit: holy poo poo it gets even better. "Stop regulating because then crypto can't be in the US!"

https://twitter.com/JackSolowey/status/1629126402346782722

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 27, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Cato wanting something is a surefire way to know that I don't

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Squiggle posted:

Cato wanting something is a surefire way to know that I don't

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also the law famously lacks a mechanism for an impartial third party to weigh disagreements, conflicts within the law, and grey areas. It's just all beep boop legal code in, results out.

Contract law even more famously has no need for negotiation or abirritation because all contracts are perfectly written, reference laws that are always in perfect agreement with each other, and never involve people getting hosed and needing to seek recourse beyond the bounds of the contract itself.
Visionary: It's a roomba, but instead of dirt it sweeps away contractor to subcontractor liability disputes regarding groundwater and/or wastewater containment in non-commercial zones.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Crypto maximalist schadenfreude is apparently hitting a peak. Apparently screaming "Regulate us to validate us!" does result in, well....regulatin'.
shameful of gensler to offer the smallest fig leaf in suggesting that maybe blockchain is neat and innovative in theory. stick to your guns gary, tell them it's all dumb poo poo top-to-bottom for morons who like to be scammed

(gensler's 100% right otherwise, but he needs to spend less time talking to writers at fancy magazines and more time drafting Wells notices)

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

jokes posted:

Hack the law

*30 minutes into my GDQ run*
So we've just written ourselves as the inheritor of our life insurance. Now we just need to just hold our breath for thirty seconds, also known as the Jeffrey Skip ... ... and there we go the blockchain has declared me legally dead so I automatically get the full payout, which I can spend to buy jump boots for my Fort Knox heist.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

*some nerd wearing sunglasses types on a keyboard at 800 wpm, leans back and smiles at the screen as he just bought a bunch of crypto*

*the screen flashes "YOUR CRYPTO HAS LOST 99% OF VALUE"*

:smug:: "Heh, thanks for the discount" as he queues up another purchase

drk
Jan 16, 2005
my scheme to get rich quick without work is really being foiled by the SEC enforcing rules on scamming rubes with old-timey grifts

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SLOSifl posted:

Visionary: It's a roomba, but instead of dirt it sweeps away contractor to subcontractor liability disputes regarding groundwater and/or wastewater containment in non-commercial zones.

This was a hell of a fight in Yakuza Like A Dragon.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

notwithoutmyanus posted:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/crypto-lawyers-flame-gensler-over-claims-that-all-crypto-are-securities/

Note even the title and the included maximalists.

edit: holy poo poo it gets even better. "Stop regulating because then crypto can't be in the US!"

https://twitter.com/JackSolowey/status/1629126402346782722

Good riddance, crypto has created nothing of value and the only value it has directly comes from fiat anyway

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

drk posted:

my scheme to get rich quick without work is really being foiled by the SEC enforcing rules on scamming rubes with old-timey grifts

How do they expect my business to succeed if they keep convicting me for securities fraud? Do they hate business and job creation?

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

So just finished a project subcontracting for a designer where I was illustrating key art for the clients fluff page for some metaverse project. I never talked directly to the clients, but drat they were terrible. Received 50% upfront so I took the job, but then it took them 2 weeks to confirm any sketch, and they kept changing ideas and trying to cheaply cram in more work for free, which I would just flatly deny (such as, "make 2 night and two day versions of this image", thinking thats somehow one painting)

I'm also a painter in style, but they decided everything needs a 3d "mattepainting" style (they didnt know what actual mattepainting is) and always had a ton of revision requests that didnt match their last ideas. I should've known, but I needed the money!

If I see that project pop up anywhere its gonna get a laugh from me, absolutely bizarre anybody would touch nfts in this day and age. I think in this case they are trying to hawk game assets or metaverse land as nfts

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I saw a bunch of posts so thought the price had crashed again but I see you let it climb almost 50% again. Sigh.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sorry I'll get right on it

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Wow. Apparently that ordinals poo poo is continuing to expand. https://news.bitcoin.com/litecoin-network-adopts-ordinal-inscriptions-following-bitcoins-lead/

I'm not sure why just stupid people.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So there s this podcast called koncerte and it mostly has criminal type stuff, but it had some researcher talking about fbi and crypto. talking about silk road and alpha bay type poo poo.

Anyway the interesting part is a company very early on figured out how to do tracing in the block chain blah blah, this companies flyer makes a claim that they can also trace monero.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

So there s this podcast called koncerte and it mostly has criminal type stuff, but it had some researcher talking about fbi and crypto. talking about silk road and alpha bay type poo poo.

Anyway the interesting part is a company very early on figured out how to do tracing in the block chain blah blah, this companies flyer makes a claim that they can also trace monero.

Is it the firm that (purportedly) helped the FBI with the 2016 Bitfinex hack?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Horseshoe theory posted:

Is it the firm that (purportedly) helped the FBI with the 2016 Bitfinex hack?

I remember they helped show that Markforce stole bitcoins

here s the episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqSYEqJxw18&t=7640s

Ignore the start time

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Paladinus posted:

Yeah everyone probably knows someone who got ATM skimmed at some point and had money stolen from their account, but they ALSO probably got the charges reversed in the end (after a long pain in the rear end process). In crypto the risks are the same but the safety net of rollback just isn’t there.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Talorat posted:

Yeah everyone probably knows someone who got ATM skimmed at some point and had money stolen from their account, but they ALSO probably got the charges reversed in the end (after a long pain in the rear end process). In crypto the risks are the same but the safety net of rollback just isn’t there.

a small price to pay to eliminate chargebacks, which rob businesses of millions of dollars of income a day

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
https://twitter.com/SilvermanJacob/status/1630706106669363202?s=20

Speaking of crypto risks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
isn't this like the sixth time hideyoapes has gotten scammed

also I love the replies asking him to remove his nft pfp because he doesn't own it anymore, as always

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
From the replies. LOL:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

total apestruction... all my apes gone... 😭

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

dr_rat posted:

From the replies. LOL:

This reminds me. Hexagonal NFT pfp is a twitter feature that exists supposedly to show off that you own some rare ape or whatever. But I guess you can keep the pfp it even after you sell the NFT? What happens if the new owner tries to get his hexagonal pfp with that NFT?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Bitcoin: play with the poop, lose all your apes

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Paladinus posted:

This reminds me. Hexagonal NFT pfp is a twitter feature that exists supposedly to show off that you own some rare ape or whatever. But I guess you can keep the pfp it even after you sell the NFT? What happens if the new owner tries to get his hexagonal pfp with that NFT?

I’m in a real quandary where actually saying that I don’t care is more care than I have for the answer to that question but now I’ve written a post and goddammit

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paladinus posted:

it's supposed to remove the hex PFP automatically if the associated NFT changes hands, twitter might not have checked it since all his apes became gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like the ape bagholders are gonna be providing mild amusement for years to come.