Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

explosivo posted:

What frontend is it exactly that's running on the Linux side of the 353M? Retropie? I'm having trouble figuring out where I should be looking for tutorials on how to do stuff like change Megadrive to Genesis so my feeble american brain can be happy.

Emulation Station is what everything uses (including retropie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

$600 for an Intel handheld they announced at $300 lmao. Aya have fully realised they basically have no competition in the handheld PC that isn't a Steam Deck space.
https://twitter.com/AYANEO__/status/1630548887051321344

Also Anbernic's next handheld PC looks like they literally copy pasted the Loki design.
https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1630589651688869890

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The "701" stands for 7"? god drat is too big.

I that leaves the $2xx range Snapdragon consoles the main viable options.

Save me Retroid Pocket! Announce a 5.5" RP4!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Feel like I should just buy a steam deck and sit on it, once the chips run out I can't see anything replacing it for awhile

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It is the best value for the money no question.

Just get a deck and a Miyoo mini + and you’ll be set for everything up to PS3 with some switch (well a lot of switch).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Photex posted:

Feel like I should just buy a steam deck and sit on it, once the chips run out I can't see anything replacing it for awhile

Yeah there was a brief period where it looked like other companies were going to push prices down but it's clear now any other handheld PC is going to be significantly more expensive for not a huge amount of extra power.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Photex posted:

please do not sit on your Steam deck

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

please do not sit on your Steam deck

Yeah you should probably use the thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Are there any brick and mortar stores with the Deck? I want to hold one. Feel one. Maybe see if it’s not too big.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Are there any brick and mortar stores with the Deck? I want to hold one. Feel one. Maybe see if it’s not too big.

No but lol

Honestly yes it is big but the ergonomics are really really drat good so it doesn't feel unwieldy.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can make a card board model and feel it yourself. The weight doesn't bother me but I can't get used to the two hands too far apart. Also screen kinda not too bright, or low contrast? Just feels not as good as tablet screens.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just feels not as good as tablet screens.

The decky plug in helps bring the saturation up some which does make the screen feel a lot better.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I recently got a Deck and honestly it’s not the slam dunk over my Odin I expected it to be.

It’s obviously far more powerful. I’d been kidding myself into believing Mario Galaxy was playable on the Odin at 45-50fps, but moving my save to the Deck hit home how much smoother it should be. And also opens up a world of PC games that weren’t playable on the Odin.

But surprisingly it feels a more plasticky device, and despite the ergonomics I am finding it pretty unwieldy. I picked my Odin up tonight for the first time since the Deck arrived a couple of weeks ago, and to me the Odin still feels the nicer device to hold.

I’m also surprised about the bugginess of the software - I expected “Linux OS from Valve” to be more polished than “Android from unknown Chinese company”, but..
  • Three times out of five attempts to buy something from the Steam store, I’ve had the whole Deck freeze, black screen, and then reboot.
  • Twice I’ve had the volume buttons start repeating - press volume up and it keeps going to max, press down and it keeps going to silent. Particularly fun when using headphones, and only way I found to stop it was a reboot.
  • Switching to desktop mode just to do a quick bit of file management feels far slower than I expected, vs just loading a file manager app on Android
  • I’m missing Daijisho more than I expected
Both the first two I’ve found forum threads of people having the same issue months ago with no fix.

I was supposed to be selling my Odin to make up for buying the Deck, but I’m really on the fence now. It feels the far more suitable device for retro games, leaving the higher end stuff to the Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah there is a decent case to be made to have both or to have a Deck and say a Miyoo Mini +

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The 2 things I keep trying to get into people's heads regarding the Deck are 1) it's not the Super Switch everyone talks it up as, a lot of games that run perfectly on the Switch run like garbage on Deck and 2) it's still a Linux PC, poo poo is going to break and you will have to go diving for answers if you ever step outside the gaming view and start installing your own poo poo. If you just want to play PS2/GC games the Odin is really the device to get, especially now it's no longer constantly on back order.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Froist posted:

I’m also surprised about the bugginess of the software - I expected “Linux OS from Valve” to be more polished than “Android from unknown Chinese company”, but..
The OS came in super hot on the Deck. Most of that has been ironed out, but there's still buggyness in the actual Steam client (as you've noticed). It seems to have gotten a bit worse with the recent big 3.4 update, so I imagine subsequent updates will iron those out.

The actual system side of things is pretty rock solid though.

Froist posted:

Switching to desktop mode just to do a quick bit of file management feels far slower than I expected, vs just loading a file manager app on Android
Switching to desktop mode reloads like half the OS, so yes, it's a slow operation.

You can add Dolphin (the file explorer, not the emulator) as a non-Steam game to access it directly from game mode. Alternatively, you can enable ssh, then just use a SFTP client on your phone to do all the file management you need on the Deck without leaving game mode at all.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

You can also always put Windows on the Deck if you want. I don't have one myself but the Handheld Companion discord is full of people running it on their Decks and having a grand 'ol time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

zzMisc posted:

You can also always put Windows on the Deck if you want. I don't have one myself but the Handheld Companion discord is full of people running it on their Decks and having a grand 'ol time.

As someone who has windows on their deck I highly doubt they are having a grand ol time. Its a pretty miserable experience unless you A. Have it on the nvme and B. boot into it every day. If you only use it every so often every time you load it up you have to wait for updates and bullshit.

Windows is pretty poo poo on these handhelds (I have lots of these handhelds) and the deck OS even with its issues is by far the best so far.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
So far Ive seen two places that have preorders up for the Miyoo Mini +: KeepRetro and Droix. Which one would be better? Or it doesnt matter since theyre both drop shippers.

Well the fact that Droix charges for shipping and KeepRetro does not charge makes a difference lol.

Could wait for Ali Express but that poo poo is gonna be sold out hella fast.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Green Gloves posted:

So far Ive seen two places that have preorders up for the Miyoo Mini +: KeepRetro and Droix. Which one would be better? Or it doesnt matter since theyre both drop shippers.

Well the fact that Droix charges for shipping and KeepRetro does not charge makes a difference lol.

I went with KeepRetro and RGC recommended it as well so : shrug:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Windows is pretty poo poo on these handhelds (I have lots of these handhelds) and the deck OS even with its issues is by far the best so far.

Windows is pretty great on the Ayaneo Air and I don't see why you wouldn't install it on the nvme, I mean I'd just assume you'd choose between that or steamos. With Handheld Companion it's actually a pretty great experience, though admittedly yet another example of having to use custom software built for free because the company's own is poo poo.

Edit: I am also using W10 LTSC which probably helps.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 1, 2023

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

If anyone is interested it’s back again

I have a $20 T-Mobile plan I use for my iPad and the stuff it blocks when I use a hotspot really sucks lol

Like I can’t connect to steam and I can’t connect to Fortnite game lobbies.

For what it's worth, this phone is pretty easy to root and install a stock or custom ROM on. Gets rid of all that MetroPCS branding alongside their apps -- replaces the carrier listed anywhere in the system UI with T-Mobile. Which is nice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Green Gloves posted:

Droix is also mostly UK focused, so that's the option if you need it quick in the UK. Though also Droix's markups are disgusting (£220 for a RP3+) and it's almost certainly cheaper to just get it imported.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does Moonlight not work on the 353M? I realize it's going to be far from the ideal way to play any PC game but was trying to mess with it to see if I could at least get it to work and so far all I've seen are low bandwidth or slow connection errors. I have a great wifi router, Moonlight works fine from my phone, is it just the wifi chip in this not being super great? I can get it to attempt to connect to my PC which causes my monitor to wig out and change resolutions but the screen on the device stays black and the PC returns to the normal resolution (loving with all of my windows in the process :argh:), eventually disconnecting me due to poor connection. Again, not a huge deal, just thought I'd ask if anyone was able to get this going. I tried from both Linux and Android and didn't have any luck with either.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

You're not accidentally using 2.4GHz wireless or something like that right?

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
The 353V has poo poo wifi and I've heard the 353M is even worse because of the metal shell.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kirbysuperstar posted:

You're not accidentally using 2.4GHz wireless or something like that right?

Yeah I tried switching from 5 to 2.4 and back just to see if that made a change but I'm thinking this..

pig labeled 3 posted:

The 353V has poo poo wifi and I've heard the 353M is even worse because of the metal shell.

is probably what's going on.

Thanks!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looks like my Ambernic is arriving today or tomorrow. I tried setting up my microSD card last night with GarlicOS but hit a roadblock when it came to the step where you gotta make a partition bigger. Is there a Mac friendly program to do this? I found where to resize the partition on Disk Utility but it’s inconveniently grayed out.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looks like my Ambernic is arriving today or tomorrow. I tried setting up my microSD card last night with GarlicOS but hit a roadblock when it came to the step where you gotta make a partition bigger. Is there a Mac friendly program to do this? I found where to resize the partition on Disk Utility but it’s inconveniently grayed out.

I found these instructions on the retro game corp setup guide:

https://pastebin.com/YV1Va5JL

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Photex posted:

If mine hadn't either been stolen or lost, I would be using it every time I had a break at work. It was great for a ton of gaming

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Two questions regarding the 351P: Is there an option to use one of the analogue sticks to manipulate a cursor or something for touchscreen functions in DS games, and does the N64 core have decent frameskip options?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yes to DS cursor movement, I played a bit of FFTA2 like that. For N64 there's a few options, including the more performant standalone emulators, at least on Amber: https://amberelec.org/systems/nintendo-n64

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I ended up pulling out an old Windows laptop and did the portion stuff. GarlicOS now runs on my Ambernic device. I got the rims on the SD card. ...and selecting a game title does nothing. It does not boot up any games. What's going on here?

Edit: Ok, I just reflashed it and updated it and everything is working fine now. Phew.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 3, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hi thread! I’ve been thinking about some retro gaming up to the GameCube and maybe Wii, specifically to play Fire Emblem but definitely other stuff too (feels relevant to mention because only 2/3 of the series is localized and some emulators don’t play nice with fan patches), what would be the best options for that? I hear nice things about the Steam Deck which is probably on my bucket list anyway since I don’t have a gaming PC, but I figured it made sense to ask first instead of dropping like half a grand on an emulator that might be worse than what I could get for half that. Thanks in advance, sorry if this is stupid question.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you want reliable Gamecube and Wii the Deck is the one yeah, you could do some stuff with an Ayn Odin but if you're already looking at the Deck for other gaming it's probably the best option.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

If you want reliable Gamecube and Wii the Deck is the one yeah, you could do some stuff with an Ayn Odin but if you're already looking at the Deck for other gaming it's probably the best option.

I’ll second this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Last Celebration posted:

I’ve been thinking about some retro gaming up to the GameCube and maybe Wii, specifically to play Fire Emblem but definitely other stuff too (feels relevant to mention because only 2/3 of the series is localized and some emulators don’t play nice with fan patches), what would be the best options for that?
GC/Wii emulation on the Deck is very, very good. To the point where it's the definitive way to play many GC/Wii games handheld and in some cases is better than original hardware.

Thing about Wii games specifically is that while many of them don't do tons of motion controls, they do often make good use of the wiimote pointer which maps very well to the Deck's trackpad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

njsykora posted:

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll second this.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

GC/Wii emulation on the Deck is very, very good. To the point where it's the definitive way to play many GC/Wii games handheld and in some cases is better than original hardware.

Thing about Wii games specifically is that while many of them don't do tons of motion controls, they do often make good use of the wiimote pointer which maps very well to the Deck's trackpad.

Thanks all, much appreciated!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ugh I think I'm gonna go ahead and get a Deck and just sell it if my smaller revision dream console comes out. I missed so many PC games from 2010-2020 that I don't want to sit at my desk to play but sitting on the couch while watching South Park reruns sounds perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rolo posted:

Ugh I think I'm gonna go ahead and get a Deck and just sell it if my smaller revision dream console comes out. I missed so many PC games from 2010-2020 that I don't want to sit at my desk to play but sitting on the couch while watching South Park reruns sounds perfect.

Watch South Park reruns while playing South Park: The Stick of Truth and South Park: The Fractured But Whole on your Steam Deck